• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So the game was released to early and now we have to spend money for something that should be from the beginning in the game IMHO. So please guys don't set too strict release date in the future. I am old time player and this DLC sh*t is driving me mad.
Dude, this game was announced back in August 2010 and had by far the longest development time of any PI title so far. And when you look at all the improvements made to CK1 and compare to any other game released previously I think it shows.

Dude, this game was announced back in August 2010 and had by far the longest development time of any PI title so far. And when you look at all the improvements made to CK1 and compare to any other game released previously I think it shows.

Can you imagine HoI4 or even EU4 with what they've done to upgrade Vicky and CK? They're both going to be fantastic.

I, for one, welcome our new DLC overlords.

So the game was released to early and now we have to spend money for something that should be from the beginning in the game IMHO. So please guys don't set too strict release date in the future. I am old time player and this DLC sh*t is driving me mad.

Or: let's cut it out and release later to make more money from gamers... Sorry if I offend you, but this looks like that to me :(

Please post your wild conspiracy theories somewhere else.

Or: let's cut it out and release later to make more money from gamers... Sorry if I offend you, but this looks like that to me :(

Well, if this offends you, you just can wait for the CK2 platinum, which is likely to be released in... 2015 or something. It should contain all DLC and expansions.

I, on the other hand, have been enjoying these couple months of CK2.

you know, short of putting a gun to my head and taking my wallet, I really don't care what PDox does to make money, as long as they continue to produce games at the quality I've come to expect of them.

Let's just ignore that "D" in a yellow circle under my avatar.... lol....

sorry but you are wrong.

it is already possible to modify any char in the game including the COA
this is simply a more userfriendly way of doing so.

A game that received a metacritic metascore of 83/100 and a user score of 8.7/10 was hardly released too early.

I think you need to realise that production costs for games are actually quite high, and that if you want continued updates and support for a game, then DLC is a necessary part of the business model. When doing DLC, it can be done in a bad way (integral to the game and limiting to your ability to continue to play) or a good way (added fluff, with all core updates being released for free). I'm sure you can identify which is which.... Then again...

A game that received a metacritic metascore of 83/100 and a user score of 8.7/10 was hardly released too early.

I think you need to realise that production costs for games are actually quite high, and that if you want continued updates and support for a game, then DLC is a necessary part of the business model. When doing DLC, it can be done in a bad way (integral to the game and limiting to your ability to continue to play) or a good way (added fluff, with all core updates being released for free). I'm sure you can identify which is which.... Then again...

and dont forget paradox prices there base game cheaper than most pubs

Day one (1) DLC is bad mmmkay? Anything else is fair game, and even though you can do most of the things in this DLC by savegame editing, I'm still buying it.
Hell if Paradox did a Kickstarter project, saying something like "We are making something, we don't know what yet, but we need your help" I would donate to that as well.

Im wracking my brain here, and I can't think of a game that was "complete" at launch. So please Paradox, continue with the awesome support and upgrades, and I for one will continue to buy most of what you decide to release for this awesome game.

1. Will it be possible to edit my character only at the game start - or also when loading saved game?

2. Will it be possible to edit one character and play as another?

3. Will it be possible to edit court members?

I'm quite sure that the answer is "not" for third question, but still I'd like to know for sure: I often edit my save games to give my courtiers (especially my dynasty members) some valid names - it would be so much easier to do it with this tool, in that case I would certainly buy it.

and dont forget paradox prices there base game cheaper than most pubs
Or that we are actually still getting free newly developed stuff in patches, like the crusades overhaul that's been mentioned already, and supposedly there's more to come.

In general I'm not a fan of dlc either, but if Paradox wants to make extra stuff like character editors and sell them as dlc, then I got no problem with that. The game is still getting free support regardless, and it's up to me if I want to buy that extra stuff they're making on the side. The game is perfectly fine and enjoyable even without any dlc packages, and I can't really ask for more than that.

no fan of DLC either but i don't understand all the hassle about it, nobody is forcing anyone to buy DLC. In this case the game isn't "broken or "incomplete" without it. So Pdox is playing it very fair as opposed to certain other publishers imho

1. Will it be possible to edit my character only at the game start - or also when loading saved game?

2. Will it be possible to edit one character and play as another?

3. Will it be possible to edit court members?

I'm quite sure that the answer is "not" for third question, but still I'd like to know for sure: I often edit my save games to give my courtiers (especially my dynasty members) some valid names - it would be so much easier to do it with this tool, in that case I would certainly buy it.

Anyone know if these have been answered? I didn't look through the entire topic, just the first few pages. I'd love to have a bit more information on this, really excited.

Though I've already say I'm not particularly eager to buy this DLC (I don't envision myself using it right now, maybe in the future if they let you play as a baron I could create my own dynasty and go from nowhere to emperor... but right now i don't feel going ahistorical)... I think this is the kind of DLC if you don't buy, you're not losing anything core to the game. So I just don't understand some of the rant. You don't like it? Don't buy it. The game is gonna play just the same.

I don't know if future DLCs are gonna be like this, putting the actual game improvements for free and releasing the DLCs for the fancy non important add-ons, but if it were to be, i just don't see why you should be complaining.

Saying that, I'm hoping Paradox sells a lot of this DLC so they can sustain this business model and keep releasing gameplay improvements. For that reason, maybe I'm even buying this one, just for the sake of supporting the development of this game. And other thing I'd like to see- though I know this is more sims-like and nothing to do with strategy- is more face varieties. Maybe release a face pack with a lot of improvements on the portraits? I'd certainly buy that one.

Isn't this a feature that's included for free in a lot of other games?
In games where "creating your own character" is the idea of the game.

Also, for those of you who are complaining about this being a DLC, you guys really should check out Capcom and Namco.

Tales of Graces F has four dollars per COSTUME for ONE character.
Marvel vs Capcom 3 and SF both have insane prices for costumes too.

These are parts of the games that used to be basic. The more rescent Tales games has always had lots of costumes for their characters, now they're mostly DLC. The direction that DLC's are taking does worry me, but I doubt Paradox would rip us off. I won't pay any more than ten bucks for this, and I'm still waiting on that music DLC.

I don't really find DLCs expensive but for me, to sell this kind of thing as DLC is money ripping strategy used by Paradox.

As for, "if you don't like it, don't buy it", hey then let Paradox remove some features from Vanilla game and sell them as DLCs as well. These kind of simple DLCs is an incentive for Paradox to release their games without some features deliberately to make profit from them later on. I don't claim Paradox staff planned from the beginning that "let's not include this feature and then we may sell it as DLC" but current DLC policy is encouraging this. For me, custom ruler tool is not a DLC, it is simple feature that should be part of Vanilla if such a feature is developed. A DLC adding unique muslim stuff or country related improvements would be different of course.