• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Shebaloso

Major
83 Badges
May 2, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
I'm playing as Vandad in the Karen start and i married my sister. We're both persians and zoroastrians, but i am called Satrap Vandad and she is called Emira Farah.

Is this a bug?

Emir/Amir comes from the Persian 'Mir.' Ideally, she'd be styled as simply 'mir' rather than 'mira,' as Persian has no grammatical gender.

I don't think we actually have many sources on the wives of Satraps (and how they were styled,) but I'm sure it's out there. Bambishn referred to a wife of a Shah, but...

Emir/Amir comes from the Persian 'Mir.' Ideally, she'd be styled as simply 'mir' rather than 'mira,' as Persian has no grammatical gender.

I don't think we actually have many sources on the wives of Satraps (and how they were styled,) but I'm sure it's out there. Bambishn referred to a wife of a Shah, but...
Except this is a consort not a wife.

Emir is Arabic for Prince, though. With the feminine being "Emira". Which is where the game is getting the title, I'm guessing.

Not etymologically, and definitely not in CK2's period.
I'm looking at Wikipedia and my own knowledge (fluent in Arabic), I think you have it backwards?

Straight from Wikipedia: Mir (مير) (which is derived from the Arabic title Emir 'general, prince') is a rare ruler's title in princely states and an aristocratic title generally used to refer to a person who is a descendant of a commander in medieval Muslim tradition.

I'm looking at Wikipedia and my own knowledge (fluent in Arabic), I think you have it backwards?

Straight from Wikipedia: Mir (مير) (which is derived from the Arabic title Emir 'general, prince') is a rare ruler's title in princely states and an aristocratic title generally used to refer to a person who is a descendant of a commander in medieval Muslim tradition.

I think I did have it backwards, sorry.

In any case, I'm genuinely curious if there was a dedicated title for the wife of a Satrap. Apparently, female marzobans are called Shaykah, as well, but I can guarantee that there's no title for 'female consort of a marzoban.'

I think I did have it backwards, sorry.

In any case, I'm genuinely curious if there was a dedicated title for the wife of a Satrap. Apparently, female marzobans are called Shaykah, as well, but I can guarantee that there's no title for 'female consort of a marzoban.'
Even that is the feminine form of Sheikh in Arabic.

Even that is the feminine form of Sheikh in Arabic.

I'm aware. It's kind of an odd situation, since Marzoban and Shaykah have nothing to do with each other, not just in a cultural and linguistic sense, but also in what the title infers. And seeing "countess" would be kind of ridiculous, but... there's not a lot of choice.

persian speaker here
Satrap is actually greek for a middle persian word and in modern persian it has become Shahrban, with the feminine title being Shahrbanu (literally lady of the land); for both a wife of a Shahrban and a ruling female, just like a Banbishn which is an older word. With some generalization, countess can be translated into Marzobanu, though I'm not sure because the term Marzoban is a bit outdated (marzban in modern persian means border gurad) but i have heard it as a girls name.
and sorry for upping a topic so old lol

Reactions: