• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm working on the 'dark", tho as I have not modded in CK before I am travelling through every frustrating learning experience here.

Latest obstacle appears to be palette. My modded turbans do not appear in the colours I used. Also, the background colour must transform upon saving, and thereby lose transparency, because it blacks out the head parts (head, eyes, nose, mouth) lying under the hair bmp. Finally, the ears float on top of the hair graphic, making ears appear on my turbans...

Anyone have a suggestion about palette?Is there a limitation of what colours are usable, how do I find the correct palette? Any tip on how to make sure to not alter the slimegreen background when saving? Help dearly appreciated.

Moritz

Moritz said:
I'm working on the 'dark", tho as I have not modded in CK before I am travelling through every frustrating learning experience here.

Latest obstacle appears to be palette. My modded turbans do not appear in the colours I used. Also, the background colour must transform upon saving, and thereby lose transparency, because it blacks out the head parts (head, eyes, nose, mouth) lying under the hair bmp. Finally, the ears float on top of the hair graphic, making ears appear on my turbans...

Anyone have a suggestion about palette?Is there a limitation of what colours are usable, how do I find the correct palette? Any tip on how to make sure to not alter the slimegreen background when saving? Help dearly appreciated.

Moritz

OK, found the answer to my own question. This is not going to be as easy as I imagined

Moritz said:
OK, found the answer to my own question. This is not going to be as easy as I imagined
Is there a way you can share your work? At least what you have so far?

Tunch Khan said:
Is there a way you can share your work? At least what you have so far?

Well I would and I will, but it is all still in a shape you will not want in your game. My headgear still sit slightly wrong (as "hair" is put on top of "head" this is an arduous trial-and-error labour), I still have ears on all turbans and I have to redo everything to fit the correct palette.

But I'm getting there. Downloaded Paint Shop Pro demo to have a more useful tool.

I am replacing the six rather excentric 'dark' haircuts in the "hair" file. One moorish type tarboosh, an afghan model turban (cretonne, worn over bonnet), a kurdish helmet-and-chain model, a muslin turban modelled from a Khiva Emir, a dervish haircut and a slightly anacronistic Otman turban-around-a-fez model. All were rather satisfying, but destroyed when converting to usable palette. Also working on the mouths (since these files contain the beards - an extremely important item of vanity from Baghdad to Cordoba).

As for the ladies, I have recently (tonight) suffered a grevious setback in my project converting Myros mod to trans-Dardanelle apperance. For a minute there, they all looked like sisters of Aishwarya, but it turned out the parts don't fit at all. Have a lot of testing to do if I am to finish thiat one at all, and I am contemplating a return to the simpler, cartoonish style of the original graphics instead. They are all dressed in various outfits from contemporary art, turkish, persian, berber etc, none has a covered face.

Lessons learned (noob type useful-to-knows):
- Graphics come in certain order when presented, namely (not 100% sure here) head, nose, eyes, mouth, hair, ears, miscellanous. Thats why my turbans have ears. Not sure if miscellanous comes over or under hair. Will show soon, as I use a chainmail neckpiece on the kurdish helmet, resting on the shoulders.
- Graphics are placed in relation to eachother, using the same frame. Thus if you move a nose (in that file) 1 cm down, it will show up on the chin (in-game) and so on. The trick of course being to find the exact right placing of your mod.
- Graphics use a specific palette. Haven't found the origin file yet, but I stole it from an existing bmp file and it works fine.
- Remember to save bmp in 256k (8 bit), or it won't show at all in the game.

You can basically replace the whole image - like Myron did indeed - but a word of warning is that the piecing together is hellish (fit to place, fit colours). Original graphics already fit (more or less - the bald hairgraphic should be erased as it does not fit). You can insert bmp's of real persons too, no problem, except fitting noses and eyes becomes even more hellish, not to mention tone of skin etc.

But, I'll be back, with usable mods.

Regards
Moritz

Moritz said:
But, I'll be back, with usable mods.

Regards
Moritz

You are our saviour... looking forward to see them.. :D

How about adding more moustache for the dark men. And maybe some flamboyant head dresses for christian women.

EDIT: I added two new moustache styles for moslems and it works perfectly fine. Now i'm trying more changes. About the turban & ears problem, can you try to switch the names of the files hair and ears to see if it's solved. I had the same with noses and mouths and changing the names solved it.

Last edited:
Here are few examples of my humble alterations to give an idea...

wifes

men

The dark women look definetly more interesting with some colour and form in clothes, though the first looks a bit odd. (though I admit that I have always found that particular neckpiece odd, even on pale women...).

Men are neat too, as the normal dark man neckpiece that just changes color, not shape is a bit boring... Though I can't help thinking that the lightened up guy (third man) looks like an italian cook. :rofl:

Tunch Khan said:
Here are few examples of my humble alterations to give an idea...

wifes

men

Oooh... :eek: You couldn't put that mod of yours up for download, could you...? It looks darned good!

anti_strunt said:
Oooh... :eek: You couldn't put that mod of yours up for download, could you...? It looks darned good!

I sure can, but i need to figure out whether if it's finished or not. Currently i was waiting for Moritz's work, bur he hasn't been around for two days. Give me some more time and i can find a webspace to place them. I'm currently working on some moslem CoAs as well, maybe i'll wrap them all up.

So, has this mod gone away? I'm an artist, I'd be happy to help. I've been working on an update to the women so that when marriage shopping the would-be groom has other than facial attributes to, um, shop by (variety is the spice of life). But I liked your "face forward" mod.

If you have halted work, can you send me the files to finish it?

Makes me want to go ahead and do that anime character mod for CK...except there shouldn't be too many ugly anime characters as anime doesn't have many (some, but not many)....

Jinnai said:
Makes me want to go ahead and do that anime character mod for CK...except there shouldn't be too many ugly anime characters as anime doesn't have many (some, but not many)....

Anime character mod? I bet that would be neat. :D

Byakhiam said:
Anime character mod? I bet that would be neat. :D
Well several big questions would be, how should they face, side, 3-point or direct view?
The other is what kind of style? Realistic type or more comical?
If no to the last question, should i have weird funky hairdo's or not? And should i have a variety of colorings? Should i change they eyes moreso (even in realistic they tend to be bigger somewhat, except for villians) from really big and round to really narrow...

There's another bigger problem...right now in CK males have more options than females....in anime the females should have in general more varierty than their male counterparts. There are exceptions, like Saiyuki, where more emphasis is focused on the male distinctions, but those are rare. I'm not sure if this can be corrected.

Last edited:
Well, I think adding new options is possible, at least Tunch Khan's muslim mod did just that.

I think 3-point or direct would be better than side, but I can't be sure which one of those is better? Can we see an example of both?

Realistic likely has more longterm appeal, while comical would be good laugh few times and then would get boring.

Roundiness is good, as at least to me, it's a sort of trademark of anime style. :)

EDIT: Maybe have mostly "normalish" hairdos and couple funky options?

Jinnai said:
Well its personallye easier to do portrait than it is 3-point, although if it can be pulled off, 3-point looks better.

Well, I guess it's your call then, as you are going to actually do the work?

Gads, my question got drowned in a pokemon discussion. ;>

To repeat: Does anyone know a _successful_ way to contact Myros? I want to help with or continue with his face mod, but he doesn't seem to hang here anymore, and some of his older links are broken.