• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
womble: That may be a tad optimistic. :p

I do know it's possible though :) Mind you, I had three armies prepositioned to start blitzing the Russians as soon as Germany kicked over the antheap, one motorised, and didn't really run into supply issues until Pavlovsk was my north east corner. I also made liberal use of air power and dropped paratroops on some objectives (though that really only served to define my boundaries of operation to start with). I also hadn't got Turkey territory to worry about, though I would probably have traded that space for time and tried to cut them off at the North Caucasus instead of engaging in Anatolia: once Russia falls, any gains they make will be returned. If it doesn't fall, keeping Turkey will be the least of your worries.

Impressive developments. Just as I thought this AAR can't get any better, you started playing cat and mouse between two bulldozers that are about to crash into each other. :)

Who said Soviets were atheist? Not true at all. Soviet troops went to their families to celebrate Christmas. I guess Stalin is not informed about that... :rofl:

I'm sure that the logistical problems can be traced back to insane amounts of Christmas presents sent to the front. This was complicated by the fact that they were originally sent to Spain and then had to be rerouted to Dacia and Anatolia.

And if you point out that in the game it's May, not December: this just proves how difficult the rerouting was. :D

In any case, good progress so far I I do hope to see some Italian troops in Baku relatively soon.

Could you also try to dig up some old map (maybe from Mussolini's private archives) showing Iberia after the Second Iberian War? I'm curious to know how far the Germans have advanced and how much of Spain they have occupied.

Who said Soviets were atheist?

Maybe they weren't but certainly they were supposed to. Here:

Religious distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions.

Karl Marx, Critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Right

In all my 1.3 games playing Italy, Red Army was on their western borders. In my last one, they easily defeated Germany and I got troubled defending Italy after German disaster. Here, something is different. Maybe, it's due to fact that AAR started with 1.1, and it went on 1.2 until end of 1940. So I assume Red Army has not so many infantry. It could be very easy to defeat it. Whom Soviets will surrender to? If they'll surrender to Italy, bitter peace would be avoided, and Italy could keep all conquered soviet provinces. I hope it'll be that way... :D

womble: But you had three armies for that, and those armies are probably bigger than any of mine. ;)

delra: Hehe, yes. We'll see how it turns out. ;)

Tomatoes: Hopefully not. That wouldn't be nice of them. :p

Gladiator: What? :p

Sokraates: I've got another whole world map for the end of the chapter, if you can wait that long. ;)

delra: Yep. :p

Enewald: There is/will be some fighting, at least. :p

Gladiator: Hehe, we'll see how it all works out. ;)

Well, things might be tough for a bit, but I'm sure you will get it straightened out.

Your armies have had pretty good movement so far, I'm sure it is taking forever in game time, but you're covering the ground you need too. and keeping what soviet armies you've ran into at bay for the most part. Keep it up.

Maj. von Mauser: Hehe, we'll see. ;)

coolluigi007: What Soviet armies? ;)

Update coming up!

The Year of Strategic Crisis
Part 8: Safeguarding Dacia, May 2 – June 16, 1941

The period of two months between the beginning of May and the advent of July saw widespread Italian operations in Dacia, in Ukraine, in Anatolia, and in the Mediterranean and Black Seas. It seems best to approach each of these operations one by one and examine them in their entirety before moving on to the next one. The first operation to be examined will be Operation Trajan II, Bastico’s urgent operation to trap and destroy the Soviet armored division running rampant across southern Dacia.

Bastico’s plan was a simple one. Simple plans are always the best, and his opponent only fielded a single division, albeit an armored one, to his seven. Thus he planned simply to rely upon his superior numbers and flexibility they provide to surround, trap and destroy the Soviet division. He would advance on a front four times broader than the Soviets could cope with, simultaneously retaking the two important strategic locations of Bucharest, the provincial capital, and Ploesti, where most of Italy’s crude oil came from. The aim of this operation was to prevent the further incapacitation of Italian logistics through Dacia. It was to prove to be more difficult than imagined, in large part because the logistics network had been compromised to such an extent that at times half of Bastico’s army was immobilized for want of supplies.

067-01-MovingtoTrapSOVArmor.jpg

Bastico’s plan to move and trap the Soviet armored division that was running amok in Dacia.

It was fortunate that the Soviet armored division did not seem to have good intelligence capabilities on its own, and that STAVKA, the Soviet high command, had either also not detected Bastico’s deployment, or had not communicated this information to the Soviet armor in Dacia, though the reason for this is not known, though it must necessarily reduce to either a lack of intention to, or a lack of capability to. It was likely due to this fact, and despite its superior mobility, particularly given Bastico’s lack of supplies, that Bastico had been able to throw a net around the region of Dacia it was rampaging around by the 13th of May, after nearly two weeks. Despite this entrapment, the amount of space still available to the Soviets was quite large. It was, indeed, large enough that on the 13th Bastico did not actually know where the Soviets were, and considered it plausible that the division had escaped! Given that the average armored division on the march required some forty kilometers of open road, this disappearing act was a veritable display of skill in trickery by the Soviet commander.

067-02-OMGSOVArmorDisappeared.jpg

The Soviet armored division—encircled but vanished.

Nevertheless, by the end of that day the Soviets had been found again, and three Italian divisions went onto the attack. Six Italian brigades faced four Russian brigades, a possibly worrying sign of fights to come. The Soviets, once pinned down, proved an obstinate opponent and kept the fight going for four days, in a wonderful display of the tunnel vision of military men. The Soviet commander lost all thoughts of strategy and even of operations one he became preoccupied with tactics. This allowed other Italian formations to close in behind him and remove from him the ability to retreat. By evening on the 17th, the Soviet division had finally been broken and, though mopping up continued for some days, the threat to the interior of Dacia had been defeated. Given the apparent impact of the Soviet armored division on the Italian logistics network, it seems plausible to argue that a strategy of raiding, designed to deny the enemy frontline and other armies access to supplies rather than tackling the armies themselves, may be quite effective, particularly for halting offensives and counteroffensives.

067-03-AttackingSOVArmor.jpg

The Soviet armored division, finally attacked.

With southern Dacia back in Italian possession and the logistics network slowly being brought back into being after ruin, Bastico moved northward. While he had been securing the south, the situation to the north had become serious. Bastico’s army was needed to stabilize the situation and transform it from a potential defeat into at least a stalemate. By beginning of the second week of June, Bastico’s forces were steadily fighting their way northward, aiming to create the shortest possible line of defense against the Soviets. This line would stretch from the Hungarian border eastward to the Prut River, and then along the Prut southeastward. In attaining his portion of this line, Bastico lost some two and a half thousand men, just under a tenth of his force engaged, which was not his entire army, and in return inflicted only one and a half thousand casualties upon the Soviets, though this was slightly more than one tenth of their force. Bastico’s simple prognosis from this was that, if there was much more fighting of such intensity, his army could be bled dry, while the Soviets could still reinforce their formations in that region.

067-04-BasticoGuardingDacia.jpg

Bastico’s defensive line in the north of Dacia.

Bastico had completed his initial objective and saved southern Dacia from further disruption. However, the situation in the north during this time had deteriorated to such an extent that his second objective of defending Graziani’s northern flank had become defunct. The best he could do was save the situation, but that would have to be enough for him, for Graziani and for Mussolini.

Well, maybe I was a little optimistic. But, at least you destroyed that armoured division.;)

Those 2 brigade divisions do seem awfully weak compared to their Russian counterparts. While more formations give you more flexibility, they lack the capability to endure prolonged fighting against technically equal opponents and you can easily get a stacking penalty.

in reverse, I did find that raiding armoured/motorised/cavalry divisions did 2 nice things: (a) muck up the Germans' supply lines and (b) bring me lots of supplies (but not the head of Alfredo Garcia) - for about a month I dedicated 0 IC to supplies and still ended up with more than I'd started :D

Maj. von Mauser: Yes, my first victory against the Soviets, whoo! :D

Baltasar: In theory. Of course, I don't have a large enough army to get stacking penalties, as NilsS mentions. ;)

NilsS: Partly, yeah. :p

loki100: That's pretty good. :D

Enewald: Strategy is the art of the possible...:p