Expecting the attention to detail in other parts of the world too

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would rather to have more fps than having 1000's of obscure tags with little historical info in Americas and Africa. As for HRE, it is too important to not put in.

But when it comes to representation, that should be there for sure with provinces, cultures and religions on the map.
I care little about FPS, but I do care about TPS; Ticks per second.

Id like to be able to run a PDX game in multiplayer with 50 people at speed 3. The dream.

View attachment 1127274
this is a map from the wiki from 2013. I am pretty sure those 10 american tags were there from the very start. But its still pretty obvious that in 10 years there was a lot of improvement in how detailed the americas are represented.

Edit: also other places of course
Oh yeah now this brings back some memories. I wonder why the map viola posted is different, because I searched for a video showing someone rolling back to 1.0 and it looked like that map.

The really big problem with the way EU4's Americas map is there's really no sense or logic between what tags are represented and what tags are not. Large portions of North America are just depicted as uncolonized "x number of natives here" while their neighbors they historically fought with exist as playable tags. You really want a more developed system using something like a better version of the 'decentralized nation' system in Victoria 3 to represent the continent more accurately, IMO. This will also allow you to inevitable merge tags where it would infeasible research-wise to show them because we only have an idea of a broad number of nations that exist in the region.
Yes, they need to have a definition of where the border between playable and unplayable will be.
If they want to make decentralized chiefdoms playable I think that what should be selectable at the map is the cultural region and after it you would decided which location your starting chiefdom is located. After it the gameplay would be about expand your control in other locations inside the same cultural homeland/region first and create/manage a local adminsitration/eary form of government here. Only after it you would start to expand against other cultures in other regions.

This system could be used in certain regions of Africa too. For example, in West Africa we have the Benin Kingom and Oyo Empire but in EU4 both are represented with a historically incorret size for 1444 and the immediate gameplay in 1444 for both Benin and Oyo is to immediately fight against different countries and empires what is not immersive at all.

Benin is an Edo kingdom that started to expand and dominate other Edos Kingdoms/Chiefdoms/Villages and Oyo is a yoruba kingdom that expanded and organized an empire administration inside the yorubaland. Both these kingdoms fought to unify and organize their starting cultural homeland first and only after it they started to fight against external powers and organize themselve as something major than a city-state. I am certain that Project Caesar will not have enough granularity to represent different villages/towns inside Edo and Yorouba lands in 1337 but this does not mean that the immersion and gameplay here cannot be improved.

In my opinion Project Caesar would have a more immersive experience for West Africa if you could select Yoruba and Edo first, choose where your initial village/town is locate and Benin and Oyo are possible formables after you unify your cultural homeland if you choose the right location to be the capital.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Oh yeah now this brings back some memories. I wonder why the map viola posted is different, because I searched for a video showing someone rolling back to 1.0 and it looked like that map.
Thats a 1.4 Conquest of paradise map.
Edit: that patch added a lot of new tags to north america and a few to east africa.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Its fun because it is the HRE. If Mexico or South east asia had that level of granularity it would be more of a nightmare.
It’s nightmare when playing as European countries. It’s terribly boring to claim and declare war on each tag. So if this could be solved to some extent in some manner, I think it would be fine.

Another nightmare: it might slow down the speed of game. It’s more of a responsibility of Intel instead of PDX I think.

While playing as Mexican countries, such granularity is kinda fine I think.

Reactions:
I'm skeptical that you could even make a good political map of Central Mexico for 1337. The Aztec sources for this period are a sort of Aztec Book of Exodus and my understanding is that other written sources are very limited, sometimes just a random collection of calendar names. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm curious what the dev's vision is for areas that don't have good written records. I have a hard time seeing how you make this start date work.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I imagine a lot of setup will need to rely on archaeological records because there's just nothing else.
I can see three general ways to handle it:

1- As you said archeology plus creative guesses to fill in what archeology didn't preserve.

2 - Base the 1337 map on records from later centuries when we know more about what was going on in a particular area.

3 - Abstract the tags as much as you have to so that our lack of knowledge doesn't matter. You could do this with large decentralized tags as a few people here have suggested or with a return to the grey uncolonized provinces of EUIV

Of course you could use some combination of all three. I would really like to hear @Johan or one of the other devs explain their general approach to the Americas, Sub-Saharan Africa and Australia for Project Caesar

• 2Like
Reactions:
I can see three general ways to handle it:

1- As you said archeology plus creative guesses to fill in what archeology didn't preserve.

2 - Base the 1337 map on records from later centuries when we know more about what was going on in a particular area.

3 - Abstract the tags as much as you have to so that our lack of knowledge doesn't matter. You could do this with large decentralized tags as a few people here have suggested or with a return to the grey uncolonized provinces of EUIV

Of course you could use some combination of all three. I would really like to hear @Johan or one of the other devs explain their general approach to the Americas, Sub-Saharan Africa and Australia for Project Caesar
Instead of trying to represent specific tribes devs could represent the dominant cultural group in the region, if sources for better representation are not available.
For example, in Brazil in 1337 we dont know the name of specific tribes inland in the southeast region, but inland brazilian southeast probably was inhabited by the Puris (Puri is the name of a culture group) while the majority of the southeast coast was in the hands of different Tupinambas tribes that could be represented by the name Tupinamba/Tamoios instead of trying to represent specific villages or chiefdoms.

I agree that would be cool if @Johan or one of the other devs explained their general approach to Americas, Subsaharan Africa and Oceania, this way we could offer better suggestions with sources in local languages.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
after some time, I concluded that having a lot of tags is mandatory, otherwise how do we gonna spend 200 years waiting colonizers? Will we have mega doom mechanic which will take 150 years to complete and requires 15 return land loop?
So, in order to simulate the chaos in mesoamerica without abstract loop mechanics like doom, we need to have about 200-300 city state tags in maya-aztec region (as it was more historically)
For Andes, I dont know the historical granularity of the region, but it should have lots of tags too if it was granular in history to not make 200 years consuming loop mechanic for them.

Reactions:
after some time, I concluded that having a lot of tags is mandatory, otherwise how do we gonna spend 200 years waiting colonizers? Will we have mega doom mechanic which will take 150 years to complete and requires 15 return land loop?
So, in order to simulate the chaos in mesoamerica without abstract loop mechanics like doom, we need to have about 200-300 city state tags in maya-aztec region (as it was more historically)
For Andes, I dont know the historical granularity of the region, but it should have lots of tags too if it was granular in history to not make 200 years consuming loop mechanic for them.
Doom was bad as it meant no one ever actually expanded, when aztecs should expand

Yea, this is way we need more tag to avoid otherwise unavoidable doom mechanic return in eu5
I think that is safe to say that Mesoamerica will have a huge number of tags.
Probably it will not be 200 tags as you are asking, but certainly it will be more tags than EU4.
The mod Mesoamerica Universalis could be used as inspiration.