Excuse me Paradox, do you have time to talk about your lord and savior - the globe?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are lobbying for different shapes then I vote for a Cube.
You know it must be the most efficient shape since the Borg use it.
And just think you could have 6 different alt-history empires going on at once.

booooooooooooo! my preferred map is a pair of 20-sided dice! i can play 20 PDS games at once while in the middle of a Dungeons and Dragons game!

...wait... it's the perfect crime! a runemaster DLC for D&D! ok paradox interactive, your move!

I don't think I would like to play EU4 on a 3d globe. It would distort the mapview. Good ol' flat, birds-eye view is great enough for me.

Globe would mean poles, which are a huge waste of space.
Better stick with old flat projection with poles removed.

Why should we even strive for perfectly realistic geographical representation when everything else (mechanisms, techs, economy...) is moderately abstracted?
Accessibility/playability trumps realism.

spore_namerica.jpg

Imagine playing on this.

i always liked the idea of the game map being like a real map on a table, and me giving orders something like a technologyc version of someone moving pieces on that map...

i always liked the idea of the game map being like a real map on a table, and me giving orders something like a technologyc version of someone moving pieces on that map...

Yea that is what i especial like about the Victoria 2 map. Those little map fold details it has just make it so much better. Makes me feel like a commander at a table moving all the parts arround.

With a globe you would loose that feeling. I think it would be more fitting for a modern age type game. With satellites and such or space colonization.

Yea that is what i especial like about the Victoria 2 map. Those little map fold details it has just make it so much better. Makes me feel like a commander at a table moving all the parts arround.

With a globe you would loose that feeling. I think it would be more fitting for a modern age type game. With satellites and such or space colonization.

exactly what i meant those fold was great, and i like also the new addition (compass linings) with WoN to the EUIV map...

exactly what i meant those fold was great, and i like also the new addition (compass linings) with WoN to the EUIV map...
Yeah, just too bad the rest of the EUIV map is not exactly awesome.

I loved this feature in CIV IV. (Dunno about CIV V having it)

Best part was it overcame Johan's fear by only wrapping into a globe at the very farthest distance.

(Remember, PI, we fans always know better!! ;) )

Yeah, I miss that from Civ IV - it didn't make a comeback in Civ V, which puzzled me. A far zoomed out globe would be kinda awesome in Paradox Games (maybe with an option to have it continue to be "default" for the nay-sayers).

It would not be an issue. The camera should be locked so north is always up. It would work like the current maps, but probably much less moddable.

Not only that but you could use the same (geographical) map for all the Paradox games (with a few minor modifications for things like Adam's Bridge, but ideally the map would be deformable anyway) and then you just lock the camera's pan as appropriate for the game. That way we could still have a globe for CK2.

I mean, have any of you LOOKED at the Rajas of India map? It is an absolute abomination:

CKIndia.png

Arabia and India are skewed and squished, badly. It looks like a map I would draw freehand, in a rush.

Not only that but you could use the same (geographical) map for all the Paradox games (with a few minor modifications for things like Adam's Bridge, but ideally the map would be deformable anyway) and then you just lock the camera's pan as appropriate for the game. That way we could still have a globe for CK2.
While I think it would be a good idea to have a standard geographical map (which Paradox actually does have. They use the Victoria II map for Victoria II, EUIV and HoI4. It is not 100 % identical, but 99.9 % of Europe, Africa and Asia is the same, and North America is identical but lowered. South America is squished in the south, and Australia is strange), I don't think a globe would be the best choice.

t4VhgPj.png

this isn't what paradox maps look like. instead where i live in minnesota is considered arctic because they pushed it so far north. this is my problem with the map, although i understand it's to make use of the room... changing the provinces to meet the distorted view of what they would be if they were up that far north so half of north america is "arctic" irks me. also the ease of colonizing brazil is annoying and causes all of north and south america to be overrun with iberians in every game

this isn't what paradox maps look like. instead where i live in minnesota is considered arctic because they pushed it so far north. this is my problem with the map, although i understand it's to make use of the room... changing the provinces to meet the distorted view of what they would be if they were up that far north so half of north america is "arctic" irks me. also the ease of colonizing brazil is annoying and causes all of north and south america to be overrun with iberians in every game

tropical and artic are not only about how far north or south your province...

it's about climate... and climate it's not only ruled by being north or south...

also the ease of colonizing brazil is annoying and causes all of north and south america to be overrun with iberians in every game
So... You are saying that it is working? That is how it should be.

So... You are saying that it is working? That is how it should be.

well because of it being close (easy to get colonies going really early in the game) for them and the fact the pope doesn't throw out lines of demarcation, they often times are pushing out other colonizers. castillian russia pops up most of my EU games and maybe france takes parts of canada

tropical and artic are not only about how far north or south your province...

it's about climate... and climate it's not only ruled by being north or south...

ah yes, climate.

it's not arctic here anymore than it is in iberia which is at the same latitude. i'm saying the only possible explanation for why they decided to make half of north america "arctic" climate was that they made their own map where north america is mostly in northern canada. then yeah, it's arctic. otherwise there is no excuse for this really. the game has a winter which is harsh enough but to add "arctic" modifiers in places where it gets 90 degrees (leave celsius in the lab) regularly for months? what.

ah yes, climate.

it's not arctic here anymore than it is in iberia which is at the same latitude. i'm saying the only possible explanation for why they decided to make half of north america "arctic" climate was that they made their own map where north america is mostly in northern canada. then yeah, it's arctic. otherwise there is no excuse for this really. the game has a winter which is harsh enough but to add "arctic" modifiers in places where it gets 90 degrees (leave celsius in the lab) regularly for months? what.

again,
i'm not talking only of american wastes...
there may be some mistakes in the placement of some artic, desert and tropic modifiers... i don't know...

What i know is that your map of Latitudes show nothing about Climate nor about temperatures...

i'm talking of climate in general... Latitides is not the only factor of climate... Being at the same latitude is not equal to have the same climate... that's a fact...

Status
Not open for further replies.