• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HJ Tulp

General
22 Badges
Jan 19, 2002
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
This is the headquarter of the old Eutopian Navy, now dubbed the Eutopian Naval Defence Forces.

Current CoS Naval Forces is Admiral Henry J. Tulp.

Admiral Henry J. Tulp calls the office of the head of the Military, General Burke.

"Ma'm? Admiral Tulp here. The President has asked me to be his advisor on modernisation of the Military. I would like to talk with you about that as soon as possible ma'm."

General Burke arrives in her crisp Class A's, salutes Tulp, and waits to be offered a seat. Once she is down, she speaks quickly, crisply, the short staccato notes of her voice rattling off her thoughts on military modernization.

"Frankly, Admiral, I can't understand why you've been asked to do that. Levarge modernized us quite well. Our ground forces are all brand new vehicles, Hydras and Gorgons; our air force has been completely replaced; we even have new ships, with the exception of the frigates in the Navy that are still well within their operational lifespans and the Upholder subs. Oh, and except for LIRA's choppers, we're as modern as we can be.

There is, of course, better equipment out there than we have. But in terms of modernization, with the exception of the noted holes, we're more or less already there."

She places a couple of files on Tulp's desk. The first is the Eutopian Armed Forces Order of Battle, and the second is a document about LIRA. "Towards the end of the LIRA file you'll see they had a wishlist of new choppers they wanted to either re-manufacture or upgrade to. You could start there."

Admiral Tulp salutes in the sharp navy way.

"Ma'm, please sit down. Would you like something to drink? To come to business, my apologies but I should have phrased my assignment differently. The President wants the Military to be on par with the Tilapians which means we should be able to defeat them in a defensive war at least and maybe in a offensive war as well. I don't know how it is army-wise, I haven't gotten any Military Intellignce reports since I ceased to be the highest officer in the Eutopian Military, however at sea it's clear-cut. I've recently been at Buen Puerto Naval Base and the Tilapian Admiral gave me a tour of his newest vessels. Two F100 Frigates. Fully equipped with the Aegis system and the whole shebang. This coupled with the rest of the Tilapian Royal Fleet...incase of armed conflict they will crush my four babies and our subfleet, which is quantively and qualitively speaking, will not help us much ma'm. This will mean that our coastline is open.

For LIRA, I know of some Russian types that are very good as well. Maybe a combination of Russian and American helos would do? What do you think of the aircover the Army has? I know the US is phasing out it's A-10 fleet. What do you think about that ma'm?

"No drink, thank you Admiral. I'm on duty." Burke leans back in her chair and thinks for a moment. "The President wants us to be able to whip the Tilapians? Well. That's a different beast entirely...I haven't talked to him about it, but this wouldn't have something to do with that New Bengal fiasco, would it? I'll let you know, Admiral, that I've reliable intel that India is starting to get worked up about the continued occupation. But that's a different discussion.

Yes, Admiral, we knew about the F-100s. It looks like they were planning on replacing two of their frigates with those new ships from Spain well before the Cuban Intervention...when they lost a frigate, it just made the choice of which two to scrap easier. They took delivery sometime during the coup, and are now using them as command and control centers to coordinate their entire offensive operation. So you see Admiral, they're fantastic assets...but in my opinion, the Tilapians have already become overly dependant on them. You knock out those ships, and they're blind. 'Course, that's no easy task...do you think it would be possible to tackle either or both of them with your current naval assets, provided you had air support?

Here's the thing about fighting the Tilapians...any war with them is bound to be offensive on our part, regardless of who starts the fight. They know that we have a lot more people, a bigger force, and they've basically built their army around a single philosophy: they're not playing to win, they're playing not to lose. When Tilapia and St. Esprit seceded, we became highly dependant on imports for our food supply...if a war started, they'd blockade the island. Once they did so, the ticker would start, and we'd have to knock them out before our reserves run out and the people start starving. They've built their army around making sure we can't win the war fast enough. Our army's advantages are armor and speed. We have the Gorgon and the Hydra en masse, but in order to really get good use of them, we have to break out into the coastal plains. The Tilapian defense strategy is to hold us up in the mountains. Landmines, SAMs, mobile ambushes, that sort of thing. If they bog us down in the mountains, we lose...and if we lose, they win. Simple as that. And, as you mentioned, if they can land forces at will anywhere on our coast, we have to hold back reserves and can't throw our full weight at them, whether they actually land forces or not.

I hate to say it, Admiral, but I think they have the drop on us skill-wise too. The Tilapians got a lot of the Marines when they seceeded, so they've been training their forces at an elite level. And now those troopers are getting real battlefield experience, which you just can't find a training substitute for. Then, on our side, we've got a lot of these African mercs that de Fourgeres recruited with one of his programs...they're dedicated, and some of them have been fighting in some militia or another for years, but they take a hell of a long time to get the kind of fighting discipline into 'em you need in a proper army. And they're really only good for straight-leg infantry. We've got numbers easy, but I think the Tilapians have the advantage in efficiency and preparedness on their side of the border. Do with that information what you will.

As for your suggestions, a combination of American and Russian helicopters could be useful, but we need a plan to follow. For example, I know that the Tilapians used Russian helicopters not just because they were available, but because they're flexible machines: their Hinds, for example, aren't just heavy gunships, they can also carry full squads. So they get a transport and a gunship rolled into one. Cheaper, more efficient, less personnel involved. Lets not just buy equipment for the sake of buying equipment.

As for aircover, our Super Flankers can splash anything in the Tilapian air force, and then our Frogfoots are more than sufficient to sweep up the rabble behind them. The main issue for our ground attack forces will be SAMs, not enemy fighters. Unless, of course, the Spanish get involved and toss some Eurofighters in the air, which they do have stationed in-country. I'd still put the smart money on our Super Flankers, but it'd be a good fight. The A-10 is a terror though, and it can take a real pounding. Real good anti-personnel weapon too, which would be the primary ground threat we'd face...individual personnel, not heavy equipment.

By the way, have you seen the photos of what the Tilapians did to the Gorgons we sold them? Modified the hell out of them, call them the 'Perseus Variant' now. They're much heavier than ours, and we have video intel of them shrugging off direct rocket hits without even slowing down. So if we do break through the mountains, that's what's waiting for us on the other side. And since our tanks have never used depleted uranium ammunition or armor...well, it'd be interesting to see if the Perseus/Gorgon fight goes any differently this time. Those cheeky bastards."

"The Indians you say ma'm? Interesting to say the least. Anyway, the F100 problem. I have thought about it and other parts of a possible war with Tilapia. The Spanish are bound to become involved, I'm quite sure of that ma'm. That's their Ace, even more then the F100. This means that, in my humble opinion, we need the initiative and the element of suprise. We'd have to knock out their airfields to neutralise their airforce and maybe just as important: to make sure that the Spanish can't deploy even more EF's or land-forces.

My four surface combattants will not be able to defeat the Tilapian fleets or even the F100s by themselves. It remains to be seen if we can even find them. With the element of suprise I need more and better subs or some sort of covert offensive mine warfare. You see ma'm, in my humble opinion, we need control of the seas because of the terrain on the border. We must seize BP and the Queen in the first hours of the war, with the Army pinning their Army down at the border. Ofcourse to do that we need a larger Navy and to do that a lifting of the European Arms Embargo is vital. I haven't seen the Perseus Variant but I'd see the A-10 take the role of tank-and-mountain-busting attack jet.

Do you have any idea how we can get our forces on a higher level ma'm? Foreign deployements maybe?"

PRIVATE

Orders come from Admiral Tulp to the captains of capital ships and the submarine in harbour to assemble the men, take in supplies and get everything ready to sail out. They are informed the alarm status has been raised higher but are to tell the rest of the crew and others that it's a exercise, a very important promotion influencing exercise...

Cojuanco arrives at the outside perimiters, and speaks to the sentry:

Commander Cojuanco, Retired, wishing to see Admiral Tulp please? I have got security clearance."

Retired Commander Cojuanco is sshown into the Admirals Office.

The Admiral sits in his chair looking into some papers. He looks up to see Cojuanco.

"Hello sir, how are you? Sorry to rush it a bit but it's all a little bit tense at the moment so may I ask you why you want to talk with me?"

As you know, there is an increased alert. Now, knowing you, you were probably behind it, but the people want to know. At the very least you could give me something fabricated to alleviate suspicion.

aussieboy said:
As you know, there is an increased alert. Now, knowing you, you were probably behind it, but the people want to know. At the very least you could give me something fabricated to alleviate suspicion.
"Enter!" Tulp yelled to the door. Then he returned his attention to Cojuanco.
"As I have already stated in the Townshall, manouvers. Have to keep the boys in good shape eh? Was that all Commander?"

One other thing. As you may know, I manufacture communications equipment. Wiretaps, encryption devices, that sort of thing. I was thinking if you might be interested in a contract to make such equipment for the Navy.

aussieboy said:
One other thing. As you may know, I manufacture communications equipment. Wiretaps, encryption devices, that sort of thing. I was thinking if you might be interested in a contract to make such equipment for the Navy.
"Well sure I might, however I'm not allowed to make deals on my own you see. I'd need to get the consent for that. It would all be easier once Leary's Naval Acquisitioning Act is passed."

Well, I'll be campaigning for its support, sir.

*salutes the Admiral like when he served on the bridge of the Unapproachable:

By the way, if you want something done secretly, I'v got a place where no-one can disturb you. Club Eutopia, it is.

aussieboy said:
Well, I'll be campaigning for its support, sir.

*salutes the Admiral like when he served on the bridge of the Unapproachable:

By the way, if you want something done secretly, I'v got a place where no-one can disturb you. Club Eutopia, it is.
Tulp smiled friendly and returned the salute

"Thanks for the tip Commander. I think I'll drop by soon."

"Now, sir," Kenneth Haug said, saluting sharply, "You may know that i was formerly commander on the destroyer Gilford. Um..i came here to see my helicopter pilot from the time i was on the destroyer, and then i heard a rumour about it being close to a war against some country. I was wondering if you could maybe reactivate me for a purpouse?"

PRIVATE:

Calls come from Admiral Tulp lowering the Alarm Status. The Fleet however is ordered to wait for Admiral Tulp and then start manouvers.

kenneththegreat said:
"Now, sir," Kenneth Haug said, saluting sharply, "You may know that i was formerly commander on the destroyer Gilford. Um..i came here to see my helicopter pilot from the time i was on the destroyer, and then i heard a rumour about it being close to a war against some country. I was wondering if you could maybe reactivate me for a purpouse?"
Returning the salute Admiral Tulp says:

"Well Captain, we aren't going to war, it's just rumors which you get with a bored crew. Furthermore, I only have a few ships with no open slots for someone with your rank and capabalities. However, if we are going to war we'll probably need alot of new personel quickly as the old ones are....not available so to speak. Anyway, you'll be the first to know if I need more personel ok? I have to go now, manouvers, the fleet is waiting for me as we speak. A good day sir."

After he sees the captain out Admiral Tulp quickly goes to the Fleet. Aboard his flagship the Charles S. Morgan (or Morgue as it's called by the crew) he starts giving orders.

"Alright ladies and gentlemen, signal the fleet, we are moving out. I want three salute-shots. The Locke and the frigates are to sail with us on flankspeed. The sub is to follow us as fast as possible. Course norht-to-northeast. Around Cape Landfall and then West to the WET. Once we are at the Western Cape I want to be notified. All vessels are to start drills on anything they can think but are to maintain speed. That is all thank you." Then to his aid "Get me one of your Tea/Coffee/Redbull combo's that taste like hell, this is going to be a long night...."