• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will you make hungary as an vassal under austria in the end?

Hungary 1700-9

Once Hungary got her own king the AI didn't waste time to DoW at the slightest chance - Cyprus in particular, who had just annexed the Papal State in Rhodes. Of course this petty war must have cost 3 stab. At stability -3 I get: a Disorder event that makes rebel pops unpleasantly frequent, negative merchants -bye bye trade-, less money, less chances of westernising ever -still 3 innovative slider moves away- and best of all, not much leeway to DoW.

On the good side Hungary also got involved in useful wars, mostly with the Mamluks along with Bohemia, so a few more provinces were obtained in the Levant, plus Tunis.

Moreover the policy of fostering good relations with Lithuania finally paid off, the AI ditched Poland in favour of an alliance with Lithuania. The only danger now is Poland DoWing, as she has better relations with the big purple blob there is more chances of Lithuania backstabbing Hungary.

ah1700a-1.jpg

Right now I seem to be involved in a war with the Timurid Empire (Lithuania DoWed them). My troops and fleet are all over the place (even Persian Gulf) doing nothing useful. I regroup and try to help but there really isn't much in it for me, as Lithuania already controls any interesting provinces by my borders. The WE is crippling on top of the "Disorder" effects, so I quit after six months. Not wanting to let the TE walk away for free I force them to release my old mate Kazan :)

ah1700b-1.jpg

Lithuania eventually gets another bunch of mostly Russian provinces.

Life is not easy at stab -3 now that Hungary has grown so much. I sell Tunis to my vassal Tripoli, and release the Papal State in Rhodes to offload some land, but even at full investment getting to stab -1 will take 13 years :eek: I switch to government tech investment instead in order to get to choose a new NI at some point in 1706, and hire 2 stab advisors.

In the west Burgundy is being dogpiled by Austria, Spain, Cornwall...

ah1702a.jpg

I don't have to worry about DoWing as my good ally Bohemia, always considerate, attacks the Mamluks in 1703. Getting Bohemia land bordering the Mamluks was a good investment after all. My truce is not over but at stab -2 I haven't much to lose. However, upon honouring the call to arms I don't lose any stability... I guess you can only lose the total or nothing at all.

ah1703a.jpg

The war runs smoothly. I quickly disembark in Alexandria before the Bohemians get too excited, then siege, siege...

The Pope thanks Hungary for his release, I wouldn't normally care that much but the modifiers are much welcome this time.

ah1703b.jpg

In June 1705 -with all Mamluk Egypt and Arabia occupied and 86% WS- I'm ready to start asking for a 100% WS peace... they don't play hard to get, accepting my conditions immeditately.

ah1705a.jpg

Unfortunately Alexandria is quite expensive (60% WS), so I can't get the whole corridor including Delta. Instead I go for Sinai and Badiyat Ash Sham. Big mistake, Lithuania had DoWed the Mamluks a month earlier. With hindsight I should have demanded an earlier peace deal for all the Iraqi provinces, cutting the Mamluk border with Lithuania. In this game borders are the single biggest factor in decision making by the AI. Now I'll be lucky if Lithuania leaves much Mamluk land for the next war :(

Just when I thought I could sit and let my WE drop in peace Kazan is attacked by the Timurids. Always happy to help before Lithuania gatecrashes the party.

ah1706a.jpg

Lithuania is still busy with the Mamluks, but Ming does gatecrash the party DoWing the Timurids. Not wanting to prolong the war I ask for the CoT of Astrakhan -worth 46%- plus a core with just 30% war score. They are just as accommodating as the Mamluks :D

ah1708a.jpg

Lithuania and Ming are already interlocked in a massive bear hug of a border, but for now they seem only concerned with tidying up minor empires before the big confrontation. It's gonna be epic.

On the administrative side I reach Govt Tech 15 in 1707 and choose the NI I should have chosen centuries ago and would have saved me tons of stability: Deus Vult! I don't have any more fellow Christian neighbours that are not either vassals or in good relations, so hopefully the AI should be able to DoW at leasure now without the stab hit.

Negative stability and BB have wiped my traders out of Thrace, but they've somehow managed to stay in St Kitts. Astrakhan and Alexandria are pretty poor CoTs compared to Thrace, but the +10 base tax bonus stops me from destroying either just yet.

The fourth attempt to convert Thrace fails. The plans to move the capital will have to be postponed for a while :(

On a final note, in December 1709 Bihar forms the Mughal Empire, shortly after annexing Delhi. I wonder how well they'll do against the Ming-Lithuania monster pincer.

ah1709a.jpg

Fantastic.

You could not have done more to stabilize Hungary, nice idea with Deus Vult and smiling luck with the Cardinals.
Could it be that converting provinces nets a higher chance to have a cardinal from within your borders? I mean, as an extra effect from having more catholic underlings in your grip.

Be careful of the lithuanian alliance. I'd reckon they will be exchanging pleasantries with Ming rather soon, and I would not like to get involved if I were you.
Why don't you try to grant military access to both? Is there a way to do this?

Could you post a world map, to get a sight of "The Border"?

Fantastic.

You could not have done more to stabilize Hungary, nice idea with Deus Vult and smiling luck with the Cardinals.
Could it be that converting provinces nets a higher chance to have a cardinal from within your borders? I mean, as an extra effect from having more catholic underlings in your grip.

Be careful of the lithuanian alliance. I'd reckon they will be exchanging pleasantries with Ming rather soon, and I would not like to get involved if I were you.
Why don't you try to grant military access to both? Is there a way to do this?

Could you post a world map, to get a sight of "The Border"?

Thanks for commenting! I don't think cardinals give missionary bonuses in NA, maybe in IN? The alliance with Lithuania is dangerous for as long as Poland is also their ally. I'm not too worried about getting involved in a war with Ming since I don't have a direct border with them. Lithuania and Hungary have MA through each other. I'll try to get a map of Eurasia in the next update, showing "the border" :eek:

I read my way through this all last night - isn't feeling ill on a friday night just great :wacko:

Excellent stuff, it's amusing just how much the AI can do wrong in such a short period of time!

Just one thing, it's been dragging on a bit, I work with people younger than this AAR :p

I read my way through this all last night - isn't feeling ill on a friday night just great :wacko:

I never intended this AAR to be a high-dosage medicine, I just hope it doesn't taste like lemsip :eek:

Excellent stuff, it's amusing just how much the AI can do wrong in such a short period of time!

Just one thing, it's been dragging on a bit, I work with people younger than this AAR :p

Thank you! I know, It's been a leisurely pace. Better slow than abandoned though, in a way I'm kind of proud, it must be one of the longest running AARs, after Timelines of course :cool:

But I want to finish it soon, I'm itching to install IN. The next update will span several turns, as I rush through the eighteenth century mostly tidying up.

It took me a little while get caught up - it always does with AARs so deep - but I’m here. I can’t imagine you having any trouble with Austria now although Hungary ought to be interesting and I’m keeping my eye on it. A battle with Ming would surely test her manpower.

aldriq said:
The next update will span several turns, as I rush through the eighteenth century mostly tidying up.

So you’re saying that everyone who just caught up has caught up at the exact right time? ;)

It took me a little while get caught up - it always does with AARs so deep - but I’m here. I can’t imagine you having any trouble with Austria now although Hungary ought to be interesting and I’m keeping my eye on it. A battle with Ming would surely test her manpower.

Thanks for reading. Austria is certainly a walk in the park compared with Hungary.

So you’re saying that everyone who just caught up has caught up at the exact right time? ;)

It seems so ;)

Austria 1710-19

Uneventful turn with a few wars in Africa and America triggered by my vassals. Of those the only useful one is against the Aztecs, who give me 1,500 ducats for peace, it's incredible that they've survived through to the 18th century with so much money :eek: Finally Scotland gets me in a war with Burgundy, in which I obtain some more land and the release of the Irish minors and Münster (which becomes the Papal State).

ah1719a.jpg

Hungary 1720-29

Land Tech 15 is reached and with it the choice of Offensive Eastern Musketeers. Stability recovery becomes an increasing burden as the empire grows, but when the chance to get some Arabic and Egyptian land from the Mamluks comes I don't say no, even if it's just to prevent Lithuania from growing even more. Sweden is giving Poland a good beating, so I choose to pursue a border dispute on Ruthenia. In the end Ruthenia -and other two Polish provinces- end up in Swedish hands, not that it matters.

Two consecutive monster wars between Spain and Lithuania in the west and between Mughal and Timurid Empires in the east end in the most disappointing white peaces I've ever seen.

I continue trading, building temples, sending missionaries -Thrace still resists-, sending some colonists to Nubian provinces in the hope of reaching some ivory further south, and while I still have a decent diplomat as king I invite Bohemia to become a vassal. With BB over 10 after the Mamluk/Omani province feast I just hope the AI doesn't diplo-annex Bohemia just yet.

ah1729a.jpg

Austria 1730-39

Govt Tech 33, I choose Engineer Corps to make sieges less boring. It pays off, the next war with Burgundy is much swifter. Since the Papal State was re-annexed by the Burgundians I force the release of Utrecht this time. Utretch becomes the Papal State (no theocracy is safe when the Pope is homeless).

A small war with Sweden to save the Palatinate from their own stupidity goes without any major incident. The Mughal Empire disappoints again, losing three provinces to the Timurids.

And yes, you guessed it... Hungary's AI annexes Bohemia.

ah1739a.jpg

Hungary 1740-49

BB at 24.47/28.00, no wonder. I sell Franken back to the Palatinate, as it is protestant and they still have core on it. Stability is -2 and rebels are hurting, but I can't resist DoWing Sweden to claim Ruthenia and Kalisz.

Naval tech 14 allows galleons in the fleet, but unfortunately I can't build level 3 forts yet, which would be of more help converting Thrace. Conversion of Thrace fails -again- and at 450 ducats a try it's costing me already more than several cathedrals. Lithuanians and Austrians reduce the Mamluks to 5 provinces, Lithuania signs a peace deal before I can get anything useful on my own.

ah1749a.jpg

50 years later the same big empires remain with the exception of the Mamluks. The Timurids are not written off quite yet, they may grow at the expense of the Mughals. Muscovy still survives as a little island in a Lithuanian sea - shame Lithuania can't form Russia. America hasn't really changed much other than a few Portuguese and English provinces having defected to Spain.

ah1750a.jpg

Cool

Thanks for the map ;)

If I remember well Lithuania has the same "fast culture conversion" that the russian have, so the moment the new siberian provinces core and get the right religion, they will ALL BE LITHUANIANS.
If I were the Lithuanian AI I would go for the timurid and build a land connection between 3 parts of the empire, at the same time getting more of the rich persian lands.

aldriq said:
Two consecutive monster wars between Spain and Lithuania in the west and between Mughal and Timurid Empires in the east end in the most disappointing white peaces I've ever seen.

Whenever two big countries go at it, no matter how long or how badly one is beaten, I always expect a white peace. In fact, I think the longer it goes on the more likely it’ll be a white peace.

Thanks for the map ;)
If I were the Lithuanian AI I would go for the timurid and build a land connection between 3 parts of the empire, at the same time getting more of the rich persian lands.

I think connectedness is only one of the factors the AI takes into account in NA, province value being the other. I believe IN has improved the overall behaviour.

Whenever two big countries go at it, no matter how long or how badly one is beaten, I always expect a white peace. In fact, I think the longer it goes on the more likely it’ll be a white peace.

You are right. In the following 40 years I've seen another 3 or 4 Timurid-Mughal wars ending in white peace. It's like the tic-tac-toe moment in WarGames, someone should teach the AI about futility :D

Austria 1750-59

I bet everybody thought that France was mostly finished by now, down to 3 or 4 godforsaken provinces. Well, not quite, France just inherited Scotland. The AI will do anything to make sure some countries remain. It could have been worse, they could have inherited Sweden or Spain, so I won't complain too much. I don't know whether I've reviewed the 'lucky' country list before, if not this is probably a good time.

The 8 lucky ones are...

- France. Indeed.
- Lithuania. No surprise.
- Burgundy. Ditto.
- Spain. Ditto.
- Sweden. Explains why they have survived Lithuania so well.
- Aragon. Likewise, explains why they have survived Spain.
- Timurids. Explains how even after their demise in the west they can still beat the Mughals.
- Swahili. I assume they took up the lucky mantle from the Ottomans.

Before I can get to deal with France I get entangled in a war with Portugal dragged by Spain, but I can't get anything out of it as the Spaniards sign peace too quick. With that done I deploy my navy for Operation Clean-up France, which spans over 3 continents. It's a bit of a logistical hassle but it achieves its target, France is reduced to two provinces, Vendee and the Scottish Western Isles. Tierra del Fuego goes to Spain, the colonies in Greenland to the Papal State. Now it's just a matter of someone else doing the dirty annexation job for me :D

ah1758a.jpg

The turn ends with an -unintended- war with England where I suppose the AI will grab some more South American provinces.

Hungary 1760-69

Hungary still has unfinished business with the Mamluks: the 'Cairo problem'. Since Lithuania snatched Delta, only Cairo stands in the way to connect the African provinces to the rest of the empire.

ah1760a.jpg

So again a Mamluk Clean-up Operation is set up, Deus Vult makes things so much easier.

ah1764a.jpg

They are now an OPM ripe for annexation in 5 years time :D I sell Socotra and the 2 Swahili provinces to Austria and Swahili, I don't want any more disconnected land.

Thrace finally converts in December 1766! The question is now whether I'll ever be able to get back to stability +2 in order to move the capital.

In 1768 the Mamluks are 'integrated' into Hungary. The Cairo problem is solved.

ah1768a.jpg

I keep on building temples to accelerate stability recovery as much as I can.

Austria 1770-79

Having warned both France and Burgundy it was matter of time until one of them made the wrong decision... the Burgundians lay claims to the throne of France and DoW shortly after. Result: Burgundy releases Flanders. Not quite what they were looking for. Flanders was nearly 100% WS, but it's probably one of the main Burgundian sources of income so it was worthwhile. Hopefully in the next war I'll get them to release Holland and Friesland, cutting them off the sea completely.

ah1774a.jpg

Land tech 35 is reached in 1774. I switch to Blue Coat Infantry (I know, I should choose White Coat being Austrian, but frankly, I'm not going to be plaiyng a defensive war any time soon).

Another war with England at the end of the turn, it's becoming a bit of a tradition. I've released Venezuela and Argentina of offload excess provinces.

ah1779a.jpg

Hungary 1780-89

The turn doesn't start very well. Stability again at -2 and then this :eek:

ah1780a.jpg

Another personal union, Hungary seems to be a magnet for them :( The only good thing about it is the fact that the Lithuanian king is pretty good (8/9/9) so it'll help with stability and BB burning. The game is also sympathetic and saves me a few insults with this PU event I hadn't enjoyed before:

ah1781a.jpg

And all the Bohemian provinces core in 1782, which gives a nice income boost. Other than that turn is dictated by Lithuanian wars. Some useless like Ashanti, some useful like Qara Qoyunlu and Swahili. From Qara Qoyunlu I take Zanzibar to add to my collection of CoTs, while Lithuania annexes their last Persian province. From Swahili I can't resist taking a nice string of land into the Rift Valley, the Lithuanians force the release of Ethiopia and take a sizeable portion of Southern Swahili and the odd gold province.

ah1789a.jpg

______

The next update will be the final one. At last! Will France be finally annihilated? :eek: Will Hungary end the game in a personal union, or worse, inherited by Lithuania? :eek: If that happens at this point of the game I will not undo the deed, I'll just change the name of the country to something suitably long and pompous, like *ahem*

Holy Eastern Roman Empire of Lithuania, Hungary, Bohemia, Jerusalem and All the Russias

:rolleyes: Please send your own suggestions on an -extra-large- postcard.

Your land and Lithuania's land are rather intertwined at this point in the game. Inheriting would make a lot of sense, though it would be a shame if Lithuania inherited you and not the other way around. Too late for that, I suppose.

Another good inheritance target would be Poland.

Hopefully you can get a few stability missions/events.

Hopefully you can get a few stability missions/events.

I wish, but I'm playing NA, so no missions, and I haven't seen many positive events as Hungary aside Quality Wool and Western Arms Trade... so I wouldn't hold my breath :rolleyes:

I've been reading this for the most part since you began, though I can't recall commenting, at least not more then a few times. Must say I'm quite impressed and love the idea. I hope we can expect a new AAR with IN, or another Paradox game of course, in a few weeks/months. Now I just hope Hungary doesn't get annexed in the last update, that would be a shame, it just wouldn't be the same anymore.

I've been reading this for the most part since you began, though I can't recall commenting, at least not more then a few times. Must say I'm quite impressed and love the idea. I hope we can expect a new AAR with IN, or another Paradox game of course, in a few weeks/months. Now I just hope Hungary doesn't get annexed in the last update, that would be a shame, it just wouldn't be the same anymore.

Thanks for commenting! Rest assured I've already got some twisted ideas for a new AAR, and it'll be with IN :D

Final update coming later today.