Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 5: Religion

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Does this actually work? I had +3 tolerance as Netherlands with full Innovative and not a single province flipped over the course of 250 years.
You need religious idea group I think.

as a little extra to those who buy Wealth of Nations, you will now be able to automate cardinal influence, by using a checkbox next to each cardinal.

We will have to pay for the checkbox? Really? Come on guys, this should be in the patch.

Again, it's necessary for gameplay reasons. Not for historical reasons.

The new bonuses were "too good" so they had to nerf it down?

Does this actually work? I had +3 tolerance as Netherlands with full Innovative and not a single province flipped over the course of 250 years.

In my Manchu--> Qing game with religious ideas and NOT innovative, I had over 200 provinces flip. No exaggeration. Within 10 minutes on 2 speed I had it fire 4 times. Granted, my nation was immense with almost all NA as CNs, all the way to and into Russia, and all of SEA, but still with how gimpy Confucian strength is at max power and your hard-limit of 2 missionaries (unless you capture Rome lol) this is an extremely frustrating aspect that tanks your unity. The end result of heretic tolerance for the nations that most need religious ideas is that you have greater revolt risk from religious unity penalties than the tolerance can make up. Tolerance raises your RR on average. That's absurd.

Hindu: I will reserve my judgement until I see the bonuses, probably wont be anywhere close to Muslim/Catholic level though.

The Hindu deities are in the OP in the thumbnail. :ninja:

Seems pretty neat though - I do wish Shinto would get some love though. But the Hindu interface does give some interesting ideas...

The new bonuses were "too good" so they had to nerf it down?

I only see a problem if you don't have WoN - the religion that was famous for its focused ethic on success and trade...suddenly isn't. Shouldn't it remain as it was pre-1.6 if you don't have the DLC, guys? Else it makes even less sense.

I only see a problem if you don't have WoN - the religion that was famous for its focused ethic on success and trade...suddenly isn't. Shouldn't it remain as it was pre-1.6 if you don't have the DLC, guys? Else it makes even less sense.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Not after what they did to natives in non-CoP 1.4 and later. While it has eventually been acknowledged as a bug, we've now gone 3+ months since the release of new content that functionally screws you for not buying it by barring all native tribes from ever making buildings of any kind. Bug or not, that's really foul. Where was THAT tweak in a hotfix?

Leaving aside the act of charging for UI fixes....

A +2 tolerance of heretics for the Reformed will mean that (unless mechanics have changed) they are in danger of having provinces spontaneously flip away from their religion. From a power-gaming point of view, I think a good argument could be made that having a bonus to religious tolerance is worse than having nothing at all. Is this intended- to counterbalance the advantages Reformed gets from its new features- or was tolerance just chosen because you couldn't think of anything else appropriate?

EDIT: In either case, does Reformed keep the old +production rather than +tolerance for people who don't buy the expansion (and therefore don't get the cool new mechanics)?

Papacy
And finally, as a little extra to those who buy Wealth of Nations, you will now be able to automate cardinal influence, by using a checkbox next to each cardinal. With that checked the game will automatically assign enough influence to selected cardinals to keep your guy ahead in the competition. This is mostly to avoid the busy work of fighting to add +5 here and there to keep France out of the Throne of Peter.
An anti-frustration measure as a paid part of an expansion?

A +2 tolerance of heretics for the Reformed will mean that (unless mechanics have changed) they are in danger of having provinces spontaneously flip away from their religion. From a power-gaming point of view, I think a good argument could be made that having a bonus to religious tolerance is worse than having nothing at all. Is this intended- to counterbalance the advantages Reformed gets from its new features- or was tolerance just chosen because you couldn't think of anything else appropriate?

EDIT: In either case, does Reformed keep the old +production rather than +tolerance for people who don't buy the expansion (and therefore don't get the cool new mechanics)?

As TMIT said, I wouldn't hold my breath. I would be quite happy if they did, but I have a feeling Reformed will become the suckiest Christian religion to have if you don't have WoN.

I'm eagerly waiting to see the first Shiva-Hindu Ottomans,^^ WoN looks great and Quality of Life fixes should be free.

Thanks. BTW the bonus for Reformed as it is now is +10% Trade Efficiency, not production.

Is "Aggressive Expansion Impact" a new effect? I don't recall seeing it anywhere else before.

Yes. It probably lowers the aggressive expansion penalty your neighbors get. Brandendurg's -25% covert relations impact has been changed to this. If you are the Curia Controller, you will also get this bonus.

To me the Cardinal thing is an excelent dlc feature. The game was designed without it and you can have the same amount of fun as you could before the DLC was released, and its not something that affects gamebalance for the people that doesnt have the DLC. But if you buy the DLC you get a little bit of extra value, as you should.
Normally I defend DLC content, but sorry, adding a checkbox to a dlc? They might as well add horse armor too ;)

I think Paradox's new DLC model has been pretty great, and I'll buy WoN on day one like I've bought all the DLC.

But I DO agree with the people complaining about the Cardinal thing. User Interface and usability things should NEVER EVER be part of the paid package. Enhancing religions like Reformed or Hindusim is great paid content, but making people pay for a convenience fix to an awkward UI screen leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Paying for content is good, paying for a improved UI is NOT. A good, useful UI is part of the basic foundation of a good game, not a paid 'power user' feature.

Last edited:
Yes. They announced it some time ago during the MP Dev stream, I believe. There was also some other modifiers, like increased siege power, I think.
I see, thanks!

Yes. It probably lowers the aggressive expansion penalty your neighbors get. Brandendurg's -25% covert relations impact has been changed to this. If you are the Curia Controller, you will also get this bonus.
Oh, interesting stuff. That does make being Curia Controller even more powerful than it already is, though.

I think Paradox's new DLC model has been pretty great, and I'll buy WoN on day one like I've bought all the DLC.

But I DO agree with the people complaining about the Cardinal thing. User Interface and usability things should NEVER EVER be part of the paid package. Enhancing religions like Reformed or Hindusim is great paid content, but making people pay for a convenience fix to an awkward UI screen leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Paying for content is good, paying for a improved UI is NOT. A good, useful UI is part of the basic foundation of a good game, not a paid 'power user' feature.

I agree, but I blame the people who kept complaining that CoP didn't add much that wasn't included in the free patch and didn't buy it for that reason. Now all the good stuff will get added in the expansion and the patch will include only the absolutely minimum necessary to keep compatibility going.

I agree, but I blame the people who kept complaining that CoP didn't add much that wasn't included in the free patch and didn't buy it for that reason. Now all the good stuff will get added in the expansion and the patch will include only the absolutely minimum necessary to keep compatibility going.

CoP was a bad release, if it sold less it's because of the many bugs/unfinished features/untested stuff inside. Anyway the points made by Besuchov and Johan are laughably untenable and we need to stop that before paradox start going too much towards this direction.

Is it Thursday already?

Look, we get, you are in business and DLC makes you money. UI, while often cheaper to code than features, does still take time ...

But what has kept me a Pdox fan for over a decade is that your level of commitment to your products isn't just a money question. I can buy a frankly buggy product at launch (having enjoyed the fun of EUII and EUIII multiplayer at launch) and know that the company will be responsive to user feedback and get the bad stuff fixed as best as you are able. Without nickle and diming me so I end up paying two or three fold for what I thought I was originally getting.

Perhaps I've just gotten crankier as I've gotten older, but there does seem to be a rush to monetize new content that isn't always the best thought out or tested stuff. I get this may well be industry standard (or maybe much better than industry standard), but I've gifted maybe $1000 worth of Pdox over the years to nieces, nephews, and cousins (old Pdox titles make great gifts for early teen gamers who don't know them yet) and I have done so because I know the game was complete and well supported - even on titles I have never played and even if mom and dad won't let them buy anything else. It is your company, but I'd put a lot of value on having a reputation for being generous, cooperative, and thorough.

Frankly, I doubt adding this to the free side will make a dent in your sales, the only people who will even know about it will be the ones already on the forums and nobody who isn't already deeply hooked on the game is going to be willing to pay for automation of a tedious feature they don't even understand. I'd encourage the company to develop a clear statement of what you are committed to supporting solely via free patches and what you are likely to address in DLC.