• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
cegorach said:
leave any space for airforce based light cavalry/border guards ?

If not now - surely for the Livonian War and similar scenarios...

Lack of riding units which don't have to occupy territory and can disengage quickly makes the entire combat to the east of Elbe pretty unrelaistic, to say the least...

I don't think it's technically possible to adapt air units for that purpose.
Anyway if you are concerned about the necessity of far-stretching, outflanking cavalry raids it will be very possible taking into account the vastness of East Europe and low number of regiments.

Miihkali said:
Can I ask why. Doesn't timeline start in 1550. So why not to make (for example) Medieval, 1550, 1555, 1560 till 1595

1) Then we would not be able to expand the Mod in time back to 1500.
The original idea was to cover the whole century.

2) There should be a considerable technological gap between less advanced nations and more advanced ones. This is another reason to start unit levels from 1500.

Terminator said:
I don't think it's technically possible to adapt air units for that purpose.
Anyway if you are concerned about the necessity of far-stretching, outflanking cavalry raids it will be very possible taking into account the vastness of East Europe and low number of regiments.

Low number of regiments in general do you mean ?

So how many men will be represented by one unit ?

The main problem is that:

those units will have to engage its enemies to cause damage,

will be possible to cut off and destroyed too easily,

will require supplies and supply lines which WAS NOT the case in reality,

This all pretty much RUINS their purpose and turns them into something which will either make them super 'uber armies' which will win the game on their own by taking huge spaces of enemy territory in a very short time or at least cut off 'propoer' armies from supplies winning the war this way as well...

The main advantage of the airforce based light cavalry is that it DOESN'T occupy territory, doesn't have to engage the enemy (but can if necessary) so it cannot win a war on its own.

It is only an excellent scouting, pursuing, harrassing and riding force which can turn retreat in a nightmare, stop an offensive by destroying the organisation of advancing forces, launch 'strategical bombing' (raiding) and counter similar forces of the enemy.

Plus, of course there is the use for transport 'airplanes' which could deliver supplies to 'besieged' forces.

I am sorry, but with fast moving , but ordinary cavalry states like the Crimean Khanate will either be extremely dangerous or destroyed in time of a year or two because their armies were not really useful to capture territory.

In a way the riding, the 'small war' was the essence of Habsburg and Polish-Lithuanian borderlands, similar with Russia and Sweden (thanks to Finland) and Denmark (Norway) - not field battles, but the danger of enemy cavalry destroying supplies and making a life of an organised offensive force a nightmare stopped more than one offensive and won more than one war.

[B said:
Agressor[/B]]Cavalry raiders flying back and forth over enemy lines ? Will look rather strange :rolleyes:

I thought it out. I wrote about it on the page number ONE - please read it.
I am not some random guy who doesn't know what he is talking about or read one book and believes in his genius - I helped more than once to a number of historians writing about the warfare in early modern era and in fact I am still toying with the idea to write a book on my own, most likely about less known armies of the XVIth and XVIIth century - Moldavian, Wallachian, Transylvanian, Circassian, Tartar, Montenegrin etc.

My working environment are Total War series games, but I find the HoI engine quite promising in several ways, especially the possibility to have fast moving units which don't have to fight the enemy and occupy territory on strategic level - something most of other games lack.

cegorach said:
I am not some random guy who doesn't know what he is talking about or read one book and believes in his genius - I helped more than once to a number of historians writing about the warfare in early modern era and in fact I am still toying with the idea to write a book on my own, most likely about less known armies of the XVIth and XVIIth century - Moldavian, Wallachian, Transylvanian, Circassian, Tartar, Montenegrin etc.

My working environment are Total War series games, but I find the HoI engine quite promising in several ways, especially the possibility to have fast moving units which don't have to fight the enemy and occupy territory on strategic level - something most of other games lack.

Sounds interesting. What is your occupation, Cegorach ?

Hannibal Barca2 said:
This defect only exists with the sprites you gave me to convert ;)
This means Persia Poland and Russia (not african native, as I think it's more realistic leaving them with spears...)

Shall fix it however :)

OK, we've got a problem here. Hannibal Barca2 promised to fix some necessary sprites over a month ago. Never did that. Sent him a PM reminding about his promise. He didn't answer anything.

Since we don't have necessary and properly working sprites this project cannot be continued untill somebody makes that stuff.

Since there is a lot of stuff which is historically neutral and can be applied to a different era the graphics made by me for this mod may be used for another one if I join somebody's project or start something on my own.

Pacifist said:
Sounds interesting. What is your occupation, Cegorach ?

Lawyer. HR and security (terrorism and similar stuff).

Dead?

Is this mod dead?

Koppral Karsk said:
Is this mod dead?

No, I don't think so. It's not complete though.
;)

ok :) Because it would be a shame if this mod would die

This looks like a cool mod. By the way I think it would be cool if the mod used HoI2 style shields instead of the EU style ones.

?

Are you guys still waiting for Hannibal?

Why wait for a sprite problem?

I mean, there is probably plenty of events/tech tree work/more stuff to do.

If you ever want this to reach a releasable version you should not just do some grapgics. I agree than the graphics Ternminator made are excellent but its now probably the time to go beyond that.