EU5 should have two start dates - 1356 and 1492.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lazy Sorcerer

Banned
45 Badges
Nov 10, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
Currently, EU4 does not support other start dates than 1444, with it's later bookmarks being unbalanced or outright broken. I can see why this is - with the game originally supporting such a huge number of start dates, devs have bitten of more than they could chew. However, I believe the current start date of 1444 is unsatisfactory compromise between two ideas of what an EU game should be - a grand strategy about the Early Modern period or a grand strategy about the transition from the Late Medieval period to Early Modern period. Johan has previously mentioned that the chance of making a game with multiple start dates is next to none, however I believe he should reconsider - CK3 devs have shown ability to support multiple start date by focusing on just 2 (867 and 1066) and I believe EU5 should go the same way.

Why 1356 is better than 1444 for a Late Medieval to Early Modern game.

The 1356 offer much better potential for varied alternate history. Byzantines' days are not yet numbered, England winning the 100 Years War is still very much in the cards, Golden Horde is still a major player and in China the Yuan dynasty still rules (barely). At the 1444 start date, things like Byzantines pulling a Hail Mary or England winning the 100 Years War are so incredibly unlikely as to be effectively possible only for the player, not the AI. I think that's a wasted opportunity - imagine playing a game where the AI saves the Byzantines and the English AI resurrect the Angevin Empire - completely different game balance! This also gives the game opportunity to put off discovery of the Americas or the Portuguese circumnavigation of Africa (since there is no reason to avoid Ottomans while trading with Asia) further changing the game balance and providing for more varied results.

Why 1492 is better than 1444 for an Early Modern game.

On the complete opposite side of the spectrum there is the 1492 start date (my preferred scenario). This gives us a better, more balanced game that focuses entirely on the Early Modern period. Byzantine Empire and all of it's remnant states have been eaten by the Ottomans, 100 Years War has been resolved in favor France, Burgundy has been split between France and Austria and Great Powers of the Early Modern period have mostly consolidated their home turfs and are primed and ready for the colonial race in the west and Ottomans vs. everyone else survival horror experience in the east.
And yes, all of this can happen after starting in 1444. It's even the likely scenario. But what does the year 1444 offer to the player who does not want to go rummaging through the dustbin of history for the Byzantine and Angevin empires so they can play a nationalist Weekend at Bernie's with their corpses? Nothing. Nothing except 50 extra years of waiting. 50 extra years of waiting for the colonization to start. 50 extra years of waiting for the Reformation to start. And that's a 50 extra years in which the player can snowball, pulling back the effective end date where it's still fun to play the game.

There is an easy way for Paradox to verify whether this is a viable strategy - please, fix up the 1492 start date in EU4, remove all of the bookmarks you don't plan on maintaining and advertise this as an alternate way to play the game. I think especially the MP players would be happy to see this, since the 1492 start date is so much better balanced between the Great Powers than 1444.

Last edited:
  • 14Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
As an addendum, the game should probably end in 1789, unless devs implement good revolutionary era mechanics.

As a further addendum, I have noticed a trend of players demanding that every Paradox game should begin where the one focusing on the previous era ends and end where the one focusing on the subsequent era begins. I have never heard a good argument for why this should be besides an Obsessive-compulsive disorder.

• 5Like
  • 2Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I think i disagree but i dont want to push the red button :).

1444 is very good start date because it marks and end to many old things, that you already mentioned, and that you get to witness that, like fall of byzantines, is only a good thing in my book. Additionally it does give opportunity to reverse history, regarding those things. Good date is a turning point of history, but right before it happens, not after.

As a further addendum, I have noticed a trend of players demanding that every Paradox game should begin where the one focusing on the previous era ends and end where the one focusing on the subsequent era begins.

I think it is a beautiful dream, being able to start from antiquity and play the mega-grand campaing through all those ages. Would not work without empires imploding though, because i dont see there nothing much left to play if you, by the time you reach EU period, are already in total control :D

• 17Like
Reactions:
Yeah, I agree. The devs should actually remove the date slider in EU4 menu and most of the bookmarks, and flesh out another 1 or 2 bookmarks instead.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Yeah, I agree. The devs should actually remove the date slider in EU4 menu and most of the bookmarks, and flesh out another 1 or 2 bookmarks instead.
If I were to add a third start date to the ones I mentioned, it would be either in 1610s - right before the 30 Years War, with an special event chain to start it off, or in 1648 - right after the Peace of Westphalia.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
1356 is the best one in my opinion, the 100 years war is so much more balanced, Castile is in a civil war, Naples is independent, the Anjous are in Hungary yet, Lithuania area is still a lot more pagan, Norway and Sweden are independent. Bohemia is the emperor, burgundy still more alligned to France, more future choices for burgundy. Serbian Empire is still alive, Byzantium x Ottomans so much more balanced. Timur will appear yet. The Steppes are more powerful. Muscowy is smaller. Full Civil War in China where there is another powers than just Ming to be the next Emperor. Big decaying Empire in North India. The Alternative paths in 1356 and the balance between powers are greater.

• 8Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
1356 is waaaaaaay too early, pushing it all the way back then just to appease Byzaboos is silly
For a full game from the beginning to end it's definitely too early. Which is why I want there to be a 1492 start date too. And since Byzantines start much more balanced vs. Ottomans in 1356, the game does not have to go out of it's way to mollycoddle byzaboos who are bad at the game to make sure they can still play their country.

There is nothing sacred about the 1444 start date - every single EU game changed it. EU1 started in 1492, EU2 in 1419, EU3 in 1453 and then later got pushed back to 1399.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
My suggestions for start dates would be 1453 and 1648 (peace of Westphalia). The latter marks a major transition within the Early Modern period and the modern world really begins to take shape in the aftermath as the influence of non-state entities really goes into severe decline

• 11Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
My suggestions for start dates would be 1453 and 1648 (peace of Westphalia). The latter marks a major transition within the Early Modern period and the modern world really begins to take shape in the aftermath as the influence of non-state entities really goes into severe decline
Ah, so you want to eliminate Byzantines completely? I don't disapprove (I want the 1492 start date more than anything), but I cannot see that doing well with the fanbase. And 1453 is virtually identical to 1444 anyway - unless it's a player playing them, the Byzantines will get eaten every time and I don't think I have ever seen an AI England win the last round of the 100 years war.

Really, the core problem with starting in the middle of the 15th century remains - there is still 70 years until the things that actually defined the Early Modern period even start to happen - the Reformation, colonization of the Americas, massive centralization of state entities, etc...
Whereas starting in 1492 you start the game with the Americas being discovered and 25 years later Luther nails his 95 theses on a church door in Wittenberg.

And Johan concluded afterwards that pushing it even that early was a serious mistake, which is why EU4 switched to something later.
Have you seen the bordergore that game got up to? I don't think starting in 1399 was the only problem. Besides, I want to be only a option out of two, not mandatory.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Personally, I'd vote for 1444 and 1492 dates. 1444 is a great start, though I agree a bit awkward at places. Of course, the starting dates and their balance would depend on the actual mechanics of EU5.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Nobody gonna mention 1419 start date, ala EU2/FTG?
Ottomans are not OP yet
Options for Byz to recover
Golden Horde is alive and fragile
HYW is in full swing with Henry V
Hussite wars begin soon
And so much more. Think of the possibilities.

Plus, it's a good compromise between the various suggestions. Map of Europe for reference.
1689116152356.png

• 14Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Nobody gonna mention 1419 start date, ala EU2/FTG?
Ottomans are not OP yet
Options for Byz to recover
Golden Horde is alive and fragile
HYW is in full swing with Henry V
Hussite wars begin soon
And so much more. Think of the possibilities.

Plus, it's a good compromise between the various suggestions. Map of Europe for reference.View attachment 1004375
Man, look at these chunky provinces!

Lithuania is Podlasie and Ufa is right behind the Volga river!

• 5Like
Reactions:
How about a start date of 1280?
1) The last Mongol invasion of Japan (1281).
2) Ulus Jochi, the Golden Horde, broke up into 2 states. Nogai rules in the western part, Tokhta rules in the eastern part.
3) Ulus Hulagu, Ilkhanate. It has a Tengrian-Nestorian mixture as a state religion. It is an implacable opponent of the Golden Horde.
4) The Cilician Armenian kingdom is still alive in Anatolia. Their allies are the ulus of Hulagu, the Ilkhanate.
5) Nestorianism under the Mongol Yuan dynasty is making headway in China. There is a possibility of turning China into a country of zealous Nestorian Christians.

Future formidable empires are in the bud.
- Muscovy is a small region on the outskirts of Tver, removed from the throne, Daniil of Moscow harbored a grudge against his uncle, the prince of Tver.
- Osman is surrounded by other beyliks who do not want to give him their lands.
- Lithuania is also in the bud. Lithuania is ruled by Butvydas, grandfather of the founder of the Lithuanian Empire, Gediminas. They successfully fought the Teutonic Knights.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 2Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
How about a start date of 1280?
1) The last Mongol invasion of Japan (1281).
2) Ulus Jochi, the Golden Horde, broke up into 2 states. Nogai rules in the western part, Tokhta rules in the eastern part.
3) Ulus Hulagu, Ilkhanate. It has a Tengrian-Nestorian mixture as a state religion. It is an implacable opponent of the Golden Horde.
4) The Cilician Armenian kingdom is still alive in Anatolia. Their allies are the ulus of Hulagu, the Ilkhanate.
5) Nestorianism under the Mongol Yuan dynasty is making headway in China. There is a possibility of turning China into a country of zealous Nestorian Christians.

Future formidable empires are in the bud.
- Muscovy is a small region on the outskirts of Tver, removed from the throne, Daniil of Moscow harbored a grudge against his uncle, the prince of Tver.
- Osman is surrounded by other beyliks who do not want to give him their lands.
- Lithuania is also in the bud. Lithuania is ruled by Butvydas, grandfather of the founder of the Lithuanian Empire, Gediminas. They successfully fought the Teutonic Knights.
You are essentially asking for another game at this point. I don't see a campaign starting in 1280 making to 15th century all too often. Better for CK3 to get such a bookmark.

• 2Like
Reactions: