• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Seems it's going to be released third quarter of next year. So kind of a long wait.

Great news, has the time line been shortened though? The announcement says "over 300 years", EU3 is over 400 (1399-1820). Odd if so, maybe it fits better with Vic or CK if so, never played those 2.
Wouldn't mind if it cut off the years covered by Napoleon's Ambition.

Wouldn't mind if it cut off the years covered by Napoleon's Ambition.

Yeah, I've never touched those scenarios, lol.

Great news, has the time line been shortened though? The announcement says "over 300 years", EU3 is over 400 (1399-1820). Odd if so, maybe it fits better with Vic or CK if so, never played those 2.
I'm guessing that some got chopped off the end and a lot got chopped off the beginning, so it'll have about the same dates as EU3 did before the first expansion. Since I just about always play Byzantium, that's bad news for me!

Personally, I am somewhat worried by the direction the game seems to be taking. While I recognize the popularity of games such as CK2, it is not quite the direction I'd prefer to head in - I have always been a bit of a sucker for the "Extra details, extra plausibility" mods, like MM for EU3, PDM for V2 and HPP for HoI3, and the new 'increased focus on leaders, lots of flexibility and customization' drill seems to go away from that. Don't get me wrong, I like extra choices - I am just a firm believer in the theory of games being more fun when they challenge the player with constraints.

Of course, I may have misinterpreted the direction they're going in, and I am well aware that modders will certainly do their best to make an improved version of the new game. Still, I am a bit wary - The constant talk about modern games being "dumbed down" is overdoing it, but I do agree that there has been a mild trend towards simplification lately.

Johan Andersson at Strategy Informer said:
We don’t have any plans for monarch pictures and no you won't play the character. But otherwise… the adm, mil, dip matters on what you can do.
I think that you should reconsider this. It might be the least costly way of adding some more persona to the game. At worst you can recycle some of the CK2 pictures (which is actually good for maintaining brand identity - the map already is trademark CK2).

Picture goes the extra mile vs. text when you are talking about persons. There would still be a marked difference if you wouldn't display the portrait on main screen toolbar like CK2 does.

I do agree Moonstruck that more looks & ease can't be followed by dumbing down. But MM is also the wrong way to go if you want to remain profitable. It needs to contain at least one part which is a deep well of discoveries (like mysterious logistics system of Hoi3 or economic intricacies of V2) to keep players occupied for the next 7 years. Basically one mechanism needs to reach new revolutionary innovation. Modders can do extra details & plausibility if the mechanics are there.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that some got chopped off the end and a lot got chopped off the beginning, so it'll have about the same dates as EU3 did before the first expansion. Since I just about always play Byzantium, that's bad news for me!

EU3 time frame is too long imho, most players do not even go until the end, just stop playing around 1550-1600. I rather have a short time frame of say around 300 years with more content than a longer time frame with nothing intresting through the end.

It looks good, that much is for sure. I like the CKII style graphics. That said, I'm not sure I'm completely excited about it.

With the reduced timeline, that means they will not be taking things from the expansions they have released for EU3 and instead will be cutting it back down. I somehow predict EU4 will resemble EU3 vanilla in a lot of ways, hopefully with less glitches and with a more complete project. They will be doing this so they can have a EU4: In Nomine, EU4: Heir to the Throne, EU4: Napoleon's Ambition, and a EU4: Divine Wind. I'm sure the names will be different and they will have a few extra features, but the expansions will likely offer a lot of the same features.

I've seen this trend with expansion based games lately. The SIMs for example have released the same features in expansions with SIMs 3 as they did in SIMs , they just renamed the expansions and gave them a few extra features.

I may be wrong about it, but I have a feeling that something similar will happen to EU4. They will do it for the extra revenue. I mean even CKII and it's "completeness" on release called for an Expansion in Sword of Islam for more map and deeper content and I see more expansions like it coming. I have a feeling that EU4 will have the same sort of expansions. We will release this product, but in six months we will offer you more content, more countries, more territories for more money.

I guess what I'm getting at is..be excited, but don't expect a complete product by any means. Go ahead an get your construction caps on, modders!

They will be doing this so they can have a EU4: In Nomine, EU4: Heir to the Throne, EU4: Napoleon's Ambition, and a EU4: Divine Wind. I'm sure the names will be different and they will have a few extra features, but the expansions will likely offer a lot of the same features.

Absolutely not. Paradox changed company policy from expansions to DLCs with CK2 and that is here to stay. The DLCs will likely never contain as much new features as full expansions. Nor will they be for all intents an purposes "required buys" like HOI3 expansions.
This is if CK2 DLCs can be counted on as an example. BTW. Were you able to play muslim/pagan in CK1? If not, then CK2 was very much complete at release.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. Paradox changed company policy from expansions to DLCs with CK2 and that is here to stay.

And yet they released Sword of Islam, which they call "DLC", but we all know is an expansion. It gives new features, new countries, new provinces, and new game play in general. Sword of Islam is everything that an expansion is, it's just called DLC. So yeah, the expansions will still happen.

And yet they released Sword of Islam, which they call "DLC", but we all know is an expansion. It gives new features, new countries, new provinces, and new game play in general. Sword of Islam is everything that an expansion is, it's just called DLC. So yeah, the expansions will still happen.
Doesn't really change anything when playing Christian countries, thus not necessary. Every EU3 expansion changed the core experience.
Though I admit that the line between expansions and DLCs can be all semantics. SOI surely feels like an expansion when other DLCs have yet to been nothing but trivial.

But the thread was for EU4 after all, so I'll cut this short.

Last edited:
EU3 time frame is too long imho, most players do not even go until the end, just stop playing around 1550-1600. I rather have a short time frame of say around 300 years with more content than a longer time frame with nothing intresting through the end.
And why is that? It's not because people don't like the idea of playing one country as long as possible: when start and end dates were hardcoded in the .exe, people cracked the .exe. It's because EU3 gets easier as your country gets larger, so that after 200 years of play your country has expanded to the point that there is no challenge any more. If it got harder to run your country as your country got larger (in some fun way as opposed to lots and lots of random rebellions), people would continue playing.

You got all those new countries and empires and much more for free in the 1,06 patch.