• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Tried to get the achievement for uniting Japan, after finally annexing the last Daimyo I realized I have to be Shogun to do it. With a prestige of -40, that ain't easy. Why can't I be Shogun when there's no one else left? :(
Be lucky you actually weren't Shogun, otherwise you couldn't have annexed everyone, not without editing the savegame anyway. Yeah, when the Shogun grows too powerful, he can't attack anymore. Obviously this is due to the intimidating towering might of the Shogun...

Hire a philosopher and become shogun?
A philosopher gives max +3 prestige, base decay value is -5.

You can't interact with the outside world, so you can't gain any prestige from glorious battle for motherland.

The Shogunate is just one broken mess.

How would one go about getting the peace with GBR in the US War of Independence? No matter what I try, their big stack always comes from Canada and captures the valuable provinces.

Somehow as the US I managed to concede defeat only. I trained tons of troops while trying to burn or seize all of GB's colonies. It's rather hard but use your good generals and try to become friends with France. I was doing very well and almost had them off the continent but they landed 44 regiments on 1/3 of my army (I wasn't paying much attention), so I quickly sued for peace before they would start winning.

I used Songhai because they start as a monarchy instead of tribal. Also, there is a Tripoli core on one of your starting provinces, meaning you can recruit Muslim troops, including cavalry. Played at Normal difficulty.

Fighting fellow Africans is ridiculously easy by the way. Battles last forever, so while half of your army is fighting the enemy army, you can just walk over their entire unfortified country with the rest.

So I united the West-African countries, took Colonial Ventures as my first idea and colonized the two provinces going through the Sahara, Tuat and something, around 1470. There I got a border with the Mamluks and Algiers. Befriended the first, conquered the latter, waited and westernized. After that it wasn't particularly difficult.

Built some naval bases to raise my naval force limit, so I could take some islands I needed from Great Britain. Got the achievement around 1700.

Edit: 4000th post! Yeah!

I don't get this. A Tripoli core on Songhai territory? I don't see it, besides - Tripoli can't even see you, when the game start. Or did you start later than 1399? (Still don't see why Tripoli would have core down there later on)

But starting as Songhai is great advice anyway.

No, there really is a Tripolitan core on Tadimekket, Songhai's northeastern, Tuareg-cultured province, in 1399. Check it yourself. In many of my games (where I didn't play Songhai) I've seen the province defect to Tripoli too, leading to all sorts of weird situations.

Seems you must be right, there is even an entry about it on Paradoxian. However, they still don't have that core in my games. Guess I should re-install.

So I always play offline, but save and load while connected (seems to be a typical workaround).
My King dies, I get into a regency.
Some time later, my ally calls me into a war. I join in.
Yet later, I save then game, quit, then restart, reconnect to Connect. I get the achievement for having killed 10k in one battle (didn't notice that happening, but I'm not complaining), but not the one for being at war during regency. I tried loading the actual game and waiting for one day while connected - nothing. Tried twice - still nothing. The achievements.txt entry for this achievement seems simple enough.
So where's the problem?

Seems you must be right, there is even an entry about it on Paradoxian. However, they still don't have that core in my games. Guess I should re-install.

I was the person who added that to the wiki, so that isn't much of a confirmation :p

Turns out I was wrong, that core is not there in 1399. However, since Tadimekket is wrong-cultured, if Tuareg patriots ever capture the province (which is very likely to happen without any forts), it will get a Tripolitan core.

So I always play offline, but save and load while connected (seems to be a typical workaround).
My King dies, I get into a regency.
Some time later, my ally calls me into a war. I join in.
Yet later, I save then game, quit, then restart, reconnect to Connect. I get the achievement for having killed 10k in one battle (didn't notice that happening, but I'm not complaining), but not the one for being at war during regency. I tried loading the actual game and waiting for one day while connected - nothing. Tried twice - still nothing. The achievements.txt entry for this achievement seems simple enough.
So where's the problem?

Anyone?..

Has anyone actually completed the Ryuku WC achievement? I have debated it for some time but I do not think it is possible without serious modding. The only major one I did so far was the Cherokee achievement, but I have 22 of the lesser achievements done, and they give me 245 points. Once I get the Cherokee achievement finished (have 5 years left) I'll move up a bit. I wish there was somewhere to go to see how many players completed each achievement to tell the true difficulty of them.

I think no-one has managed the Ryukyu one, yet.

The Cherokee one was incredibly easy. Allied with Spain, kept a good relation there and they kept the rest of Europe off of me. Of course Mexico rebelled in some of my territory and I had to fight them off, but I only actually fought 3 wars in the 400 years of gameplay. I came to Spain's alliance call a few times, but only sent money, never troops. It was ridiculously easy for 90 pp.

None of them is really difficult. Only to get a start with ryucyu and njad.
Most others just happen sometime by itself.

To get a 8/8/8 monarch is pure luck and to win against an 6/6/6 genaral is broken.

To get 6/6/6 General, battle timur as OE.