• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Alright, so because of various concerns arising from Hamachi (free networks only permitting 5 people at once, possibly going to be discontinued soon), an alternative was presented that looks promising.

It's called Tunngle, and it seems to be pretty simple. You download it, log in, join the Europa Universalis 2 channel, and you're part of the network. So let's try that and see how it goes. If possible, please be in the EU2 channel before we start at 14:00 CET.

Here's the link to download the program: https://www.tunngle.net/en

Alright, so because of various concerns arising from Hamachi (free networks only permitting 5 people at once, possibly going to be discontinued soon), an alternative was presented that looks promising.

It's called Tunngle(..)

There is no need for *any* of the above programs. EU2 uses exactly like For the Glory (BTW, why isn't this campaign on FtG?) DirectPlay7 as the multi player protocol. To play without Hamchi/Tunngle it is enough to forward the following ports on the router:
2300 - 2400 TCP & UDP
The game-host needs *additionally* the port 47624 TCP.
Everyone joins then using the Internet-IP of the host.

There is a good online HowTo on how to forward the ports on your router: http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/DirectX_7/default.htm

And BTW. I also would like to play, but currently I already do play an EU2 MP campaign on Sundays, so after it ends, I'll be available as a sub ;)

When, approximately, would you be available to sub?

There is no need for *any* of the above programs

Alternatively, there's no reason for any of that, since we've been using VPN programs to do this for years now, which also provide convenient platforms to gather, communicate game information and IP addresses, and distribute necessary files.

(BTW, why isn't this campaign on FtG?)

Because not many people own FtG and we've never successfully been able to host a game with more than 3 people. Incidentally, the FtG forum has yet to produce a single successful mp campaign.

There is no need for *any* of the above programs. EU2 uses exactly like For the Glory (BTW, why isn't this campaign on FtG?) DirectPlay7 as the multi player protocol. To play without Hamchi/Tunngle it is enough to forward the following ports on the router:
2300 - 2400 TCP & UDP
The game-host needs *additionally* the port 47624 TCP.
Everyone joins then using the Internet-IP of the host.

There is a good online HowTo on how to forward the ports on your router: http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/DirectX_7/default.htm

And BTW. I also would like to play, but currently I already do play an EU2 MP campaign on Sundays, so after it ends, I'll be available as a sub ;)

Hi there.
Welcome to our community.

We'd be delighted to have you as a sub or player when you have time. Incidentally, you say you're playing an EU II campaign at the moment. So are there more players out there like you? If so perhaps you could get them to come here as well? The more people we have in our community the better.

no imperator it was not permanent
should be back up in a few days

When, approximately, would you be available to sub?
Hard to tell. We are in 1773 now - this may be 2-3 sessions.

Alternatively, there's no reason for any of that, since we've been using VPN programs to do this for years now, which also provide convenient platforms to gather, communicate game information and IP addresses, and distribute necessary files.
Hamachi/Tunngle are basically VPN programs ;)
And for communication Teamspeak + ICQ usually is enough.

Because not many people own FtG
That's easy to fix ;) Every now and then you can get it for around $2,50 on Steam or GamersGate.

and we've never successfully been able to host a game with more than 3 people.
Yes, there was such a bug in all stable versions of FtG. But it is definitely fixed in the latest FtG 1.3 beta (I've spent a few nights to be able to make it reproducible in a way, so MichaelM could fix it).

Incidentally, the FtG forum has yet to produce a single successful mp campaign.
This is up to us to start one ;)

We'd be delighted to have you as a sub or player when you have time. Incidentally, you say you're playing an EU II campaign at the moment. So are there more players out there like you? If so perhaps you could get them to come here as well? The more people we have in our community the better.

It is a small Polish community: www.eu2.info (the site is pretty new, since we lost our old "home" not long ago).

There are also around 4-6 players left on Strategy Interactive (German): http://www.si-games.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22 - but that are not enough players, to have an MP started there.

The problem with both the Polish and German communities is, that many, if not most, of the players there are afraid on getting in a conversation in English, so all tries to get them here failed. Fortunately, there are a few exceptions (like Imperator_POL ).

Fortunately, there are a few exceptions (like Imperator_POL ).

He is not the only one :)
Adrian, have you got any problems with virtual LAN? (I have never seen during polish campaings that sb can connect to the host, despite he has coherent version) . It was many years ago, but as I remember one player (Adi?) had premium Hamachi. What do you use?
I do not know where we should put the blame for yesterday. For old games I use my old laptop with XP and never had any problems, never changed any ports or something. Maybe you should search your room and find older OS than Windows 8 ... Anyway, I keep my finger crossed for finding a solution.

Yeah, for the record, two of our players couldn't connect to everyone else (but could connect with each other). Whenever they tried to join, the game would lock up and eventually time out, with no error message at all. The same thing would happen when other people tried to join a game they hosted. This happened with both VPNs we used. Firewalls were allegedly down.

I don't know if a new OS is the problem. Ampo was using 8.1 (from experience, I recommend everyone get 8.1 if they have Windows 8) without issue. I really think it might just be a connection issue. Perhaps they could try opening ports as suggested by Adrianer and connect directly via IP. We do have Skype, so communication wouldn't be impossible.

He is not the only one :)
Adrian, have you got any problems with virtual LAN? (I have never seen during polish campaings that sb can connect to the host, despite he has coherent version) . It was many years ago, but as I remember one player (Adi?) had premium Hamachi.
Not sure if I've got your question right, but: even in the Polish community we did switch to the port forwarding method - much less trouble, since all the strange MP problems like people not being able to communicate with each other or royal marriages causing disconnects are *not* Eu2 problems: this are all faulty VPN problems...

Perhaps they could try opening ports as suggested by Adrianer and connect directly via IP. We do have Skype, so communication wouldn't be impossible.
It is important not to mix the VPN and port forwarding methods, as people connected with the one method won't be able to communicate in game with the people using the other method, and in some cases, like offering a royal marriage, the other player gets disconnected/CTD. Besides: the host would have to be reachable using both methods.

Not sure if I've got your question right, but: even in the Polish community we did switch to the port forwarding method - much less trouble, since all the strange MP problems like people not being able to communicate with each other or royal marriages causing disconnects are *not* Eu2 problems: this are all faulty VPN problems...

It is important not to mix the VPN and port forwarding methods, as people connected with the one method won't be able to communicate in game with the people using the other method, and in some cases, like offering a royal marriage, the other player gets disconnected/CTD. Besides: the host would have to be reachable using both methods.

Interesting. So what kind of port forwarding method do you guys use? :)

Interesting. So what kind of port forwarding method do you guys use? :)

If you are behind a router, there is only one method: to set it up on the router, see post #43 in this thread.

If you are connected to the Internet directly via a modem (behold the difference between a router and a modem!), then you do not need any port forwarding. But nowadays, in 99% of the cases, you are behind a router.

Alright, John and Pepsi, trying to open up your routers (or just bypassing them completely if possible) seems to be the most likely course of action for tomorrow.

Now, seeing as how we had the same problems with both VPNs, I recommend going back to Tunngle. At least that way we can bypass the "create 3 seperate networks" Hamachi issue and all be in a single channel.

Why Castile is not included in stats? ;)

Stats courtesy of Drake: http://www.europa2.ru/cgi-bin/leagu...ason=Valkyrie.net 2012&lang=eng&yearsave=1506

Another good session, despite the last-minute crash and possible bugs. Even got a real player war to happen.

I figure next week will be a holiday break, and the week after that as well while drake's away, unless we can get a sub. Delian will also be gone at the end of January, so we'll need subs then too.

We need one more player. Game is already a bit unbalanced because Austria has no expansion limits on north and east. And OE can basically do anything it want in Black Sea area.