• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice progress so far. I suggest not focusing too much on sheer infantry and instead focus on mechanized troops and aircraft, since you can use the Chinese hordes for the bulk of your army.

Nice progress so far. I suggest not focusing too much on sheer infantry and instead focus on mechanized troops and aircraft, since you can use the Chinese hordes for the bulk of your army.

but all my fighting ground is either jungles or mountains. In such a territory, the best choice is mountain division and then infantry division.

Not lazy indeed, for the last few days, I really worked hard on my mod project, that is why I didn't make any update. I will try to make new update today.

I was joking ;)

Good progress - interesting that you've run into the US carriers so early. I hope you turn them into artificial reefs ASAP ;)

PART XLIII: THE CHASE IN THE JAVA SEA

26uXp.jpg

Explosion of USS Saratoga after an air attack

January, 1942

Admiral Yamamoto found Australian Fleet in the port of Bougainville. Admiral decided to launch air attack on port. Attack became extremely successful, 1 heavy cruiser was sunk, 1 destroyer and 1 light cruiser were severely damaged. Admiral Yamamoto decided to base at Rabaul port for reorganization of carriers.

TtU8J.jpg

Technological Researches

QJsJO.jpg

In order not to lose contact with US Carrier Fleet in the Java Sea, 2nd Bomber Wing from Kuching sent for spotting mission. The bomber Wing spotted the Fleet and attacked it from very good position. USS Saratoga was heavily damaged.

3Mr7R.jpg

Few hours later, 2nd Carrier Fleet and 2nd Battle Fleet intercepted US Fleet near coast of Malaysia at 110 km. The battle lasted for only 2 hours withou any serious damages on both sides until US Fleet managed to fleet. Admiral Nagono thinks that they fled to the western side of Malayan Peninsula and began to sail towards there.

yAC14.jpg

Admiral Nagano spotted American Fleet again in the South Malacca Strait at 110 km. The battle lasted for 4 hours. Carrier USS Lexington took 18 percent damage. Admiral Nagano still chases the Fleet to force them into more decisive battle.

X5JpJ.jpg

Capital of Dutch East, Batavia was captured. 8th Infantry Corps is advancing towards Bandoeng to trap Dutch forces in Tjilegon.

mB0KG.jpg

Admiral Nagano and Admiral Mikawa is searching US Fleet in North Malacca Strait and East Andaman Sea respectively. Also, 1st Bomber Wing from Burma front was given under command of Admiral Mikawa to provide air support to 2nd Battle Fleet.

Gfbkt.jpg

2nd Battle Fleet spotted US Fleet at 89 km. Admiral Mikawa sent telegram to Admiral Nagano immediately requesting him to come to East Andaman Sea.

HBofX.jpg

Admiral Mikawa managed to close US Fleet, the battle began at 28 km. 1st Bomber Wing also began to attack US Fleet.

EMttz.jpg

Within an hour, already damaged USS Saratoga was sunk by Kawasaki Ki-48 medium bombers. Battleships Nagato and Fuso was damaged lightly.

km9Ln.jpg

The battle ended after 5 hours. Battleship Yamato sank 1 British destroyer. Battleship Nagato and Fuse took important damages. 3 American battleships Idaho, Texas and New York received 20 percent damage each. Admiral Nagano ordered Admiral Mikawa to return Japan for repairs to battleships. Admiral Nagano continues the chase.

yLkrt.jpg

Last edited:
And marines.

Nice naval action. Hope to see more soon :D

Check out the new update:)

I was joking ;)

Good progress - interesting that you've run into the US carriers so early. I hope you turn them into artificial reefs ASAP ;)

I know I know, I just forgot to put a smile in the end of my sentence, this way it looked serious:)

It seems that you can handle the USN for the moment. Good job with their carrier!

Yeah, the sinking of the carrier was the most important thing for me. I find something very interesting ; the Fleet I chased is combined fleet, I mean British and US Fleet mixed. Most of it belongs to USN but still there are British- British Raj ships in it. I didn't know AI would merge navies of two different nation.

but all my fighting ground is either jungles or mountains. In such a territory, the best choice is mountain division and then infantry division.

Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. After the current campaign has cleared up, and China has a sizable army, you should perhaps build up your air and mobile forces if you were to attack the soviet union. Plenty of plains provinces and a lot of ground to cover. Good work taking down a carrier.

EDIT: I think allied nations effectively 'work as one' when computer controlled.

Let's hope the Americans keep sending their carriers into the battle piecemeal, so that you can crush them. Also, once you have enough naval bombers, you'll be able to coordinate their attacks with the naval forces for maximum effect. The Allies won't know what hit them :)

PART XLIV: THE SINKING OF USS LEXINGTON

GXDtF.jpg

USS Lexington burning after continuous air attacks

January, 1942

In the second attack wave of 1st Bomber Wing, USS Lexington was heavily damaged. 2 other destroyers also took critical hits.

tY6dK.jpg

Third wave of air attacks from 1st Bomber Wing sunk 1 destroyer and made some more damage to USS Lexington. Our pilots informed that the carrier hardly manages to float.

EX0AE.jpg

In the fourth and the last wave before US Fleet left East Andaman Sea, USS Lexington was hit by several bombs.

hDDtR.jpg

Admiral Nagano spotted US Fleet in the West Andaman Sea at 100 km. Our fighters couldn't manage to attack USS Lexington. Few destroyers were damaged instead. Admiral Nagano sent coded message to Tokyo asking what to do. Prime Minister Tojo ordered Admiral Nagano to chase the fleet until carrier is sunk.

NtWcM.jpg

February, 1942

Admiral Nagano lost the sight of US Fleet. He decided to return the port of Singapore.

Tvwaa.jpg

1st Infantry Corps landed at Manado in Sulawesi island. American aircrafts stationed in Manado airfield had left for India before we captured the
airfield.

8VveY.jpg

We captured Bandoeng and launched final offensive against Tjilegon to annihilate entire Dutch forces in Java Island.

IUXRW.jpg

Imperial Conference, Tokyo

PM Tojo : His Majesty, dear Ministers of the Empire of Japan, we gathered here to discuss the developments in the war after exactly two months has passed since the beginning of hostilities. Within these two months, Our forces captured Hong Kong, Malaya, Singapore, Guam, Wake and Singapore as planned. We landed at Sumatra, Java, Borneo and Sulawesi islands of Dutch East Indies. Dutch forces are making their last stand on Java Island now, soon entire Dutch East Indies will fall into our hands. In Burma, resistance is tough and terrain is also another problem. General Yamashita was given the command of Burma Front. He is now travelling to Rangoon along with 7th Infantry Corps. With these additional forces, we hope to accelerate our advance there.

gUHlg.jpg

PM Tojo : In the Pacific, Admiral Yamamoto captured Rabaul. From there we plan to capture Port Moresby in New Guinea and to expand our operations against Australia. Admiral Yamamoto has already crippled Australian Navy in Bougainville port. Currently, he is reorganizing in Rabaul. We also prepared to plans to take Hollandia in the northwest New Guinea.

MsjYc.jpg

Emperor Hirohito : Prime Minister, What is the latest situation of the naval battles in the Javal Sea ? What is the situation of British and American Navies ?

PM Tojo : His Majesty, Battle of Java Sea costed 2 carriers to United States. USS Saratago was sunk and USS Lexington was nearly sunk, it will need repairs for at least a year. On our side, all carriers are unharmed except for very minor damage on IJN Akagi. As for battleships, Fuso and Nagato took important damages but they could return after few months of repairs. Battle of Java Sea was a great victory for our nation. The Pacific and Indian Ocean now belongs to us. US Navy will never be able to challenge Imperial Japanese Navy. For Royal Navy, I don't believe that they will be threat to us either. German Ambassador informed us that Germany sank 2 British carriers since the beginning of war.

4OGWc.jpg

PM Tojo : We also collected detailed statistics of ship losses for every nations involved in the war. According to the figures given by German Intelligence to us, Royal Navy lost most of its firepower. We don't expect them to be threat against us while German submarines are hunting their convoys brutally. This list only shows sunk ships. American losses, in fact are worse than this. Other than sinking of 2 battleships, Our attack on Pearl Harbor severely damaged 2 more battleships, namely USS California and USS West Virginia. These battleships were sent to America for repairs and they won't be able to return at least for a year. His Majesty, within only 2 months, we managed to accomplish most of our aims, it won't take long to make Americans submit.

List of sunk ships :

BwJ6l.jpg

Emperor Hirohito : Great Prime Minister! I have full faith on you to deliver us victory.

One of our convoys were attacked near Bonin Trench. Admiral Yamamoto decided to search the region for enemy surface ships. Prime Minister Tojo has already ordered the preparation of small anti-submarine fleets.

69vMb.jpg

Immediately after the directive of PM Tojo, 3 Submarine Hunter Fleets were created in Nagoya port using mostly obsolete ships. Fleets has already left Nagoya dock for anti-submarine missions in the Pacific and Indian Sea.

xIBKn.jpg

The US Fleet Admiral Nagano defeated in the Java Sea was spotted by our 1st Transport Fleet in South Malacca Strait. We believe that Americans are trying to return their bases in Hawaii. Admiral Hiroyasu, the commander of transport fleet immediately sent telegram to Admiral Nagano informing the location of the American Fleet. Admiral Nagano immediately changed his course to South Malacca Strait and also requested further air support from 2nd Bomber Wing in Kuching.

yFRm8.jpg

2nd Bomber Wing sank USS Lexington. Now, American Fleet is left without any air cover.

Y835a.jpg

Second attack wave of 2nd Bomber Wing has begun. Admiral Nagano began to chase US Fleet.

WjAd5.jpg

In Burma, we captured Kengtung but the British launched immediate counter-attack. We also launched against Tonggyi to reduce pressure on Kengtung.

pvQPC.jpg

Third wave of air attacks on US Fleet has begun. Admiral Nagano reached East Andaman Sea to intercept US Fleet there.

5S4tC.jpg

Admiral Nagano intercepted US Fleet in the East Andaman Sea at 125 km. This time Admiral Nagano managed to force Americans to enter into more decisive battle. The battle lasted for 6 hours. Battleship USS Texas was sunk by the aircrafts of IJN Akagi. Light Carrier Langley and 2 heavy cruisers were severely damaged.

8AssF.jpg

Last edited:
Your progress looks great. The USN lost two carriers and a battleship and several of their ships (including BBs, CAs and a CVE) are heavily damaged. It looks like the RN took a beating from the German and Italians navies, so you should be able to support your land operations in Burma by sea.

What do you intend to do after you take Port Moresby?

Let's hope the Americans keep sending their carriers into the battle piecemeal, so that you can crush them. Also, once you have enough naval bombers, you'll be able to coordinate their attacks with the naval forces for maximum effect. The Allies won't know what hit them :)

Well I don't think this fleet was really piecemeal. I don't think they have so many carriers either. I am sure they are building tons of them at the moment with their 650 monstrous IC but for now, their number of carriers must be limited. This is realistic too, look at Battle of the Coral Sea, Americans brought 2 carriers ( one of them was USS Lexington:) ) and 9 cruisers. The Fleet I spotted was even stronger than the historical fleet with the addition of 3 battleships. The difference is that I built more carriers than IRL. I have 2 carrier fleets with 4 carriers in each one. I am not sure if Japanese had 8 carriers at any time of the war. My construction of more carriers was surely the difference but this was not without consequences either. My ground forces are very small compared to Russians and Germans. I don't have any armor divisions and only 3 motorized divisions. My fighter force is also limited. I built only 2 TAC squadrons and 1 NAV squadron since 1936.

Last edited:
Your progress looks great. The USN lost two carriers and a battleship and several of their ships (including BBs, CAs and a CVE) are heavily damaged. It looks like the RN took a beating from the German and Italians navies, so you should be able to support your land operations in Burma by sea.

What do you intend to do after you take Port Moresby?

Well, in fact early turning to the South was due to my stupidity which I didn't explain in updates. After I took Wake island, I decided to go for Midway but then I realized that my transport fleet couldn't reach Midway from the closest Wake Island because: I didn't research better troopships and I didn't research naval replenishment techs that increase range quite a bit. I immediately began to research 1938 replenishment tech to gain that required range and until that time I decided to make Australia higher priority.

After Port Moresby, if my range will be enough I will go for Midway and then Hawaii but if I still need few months, then I will try to land at Australia, may be not all of Australia but important industrial cities and port cities.

For RN, you are certainly correct. I was very happy to see they lost more than 50 CL-DD. This encouraged me to increase pressure on India. I am planning to make landing at Calcutta to encircle entire British Burma Army.

Last edited:
Wow, the British navy took a beating! The crew of KMS Admiral Scheer must have all received medals from the Führer himself :rolleyes: :)

As for the ASW fleet - when I play HoI2, I never bother with submarines and ASW fleets, simply because it requires too much attention from me (I really suck at multitasking). The submarines always run into an enemy fleet and get sunk or damaged, so they have to return to the port, and the ASW fleets have the same problem - they just don't know when to run. Instead of steaming full speed away from the enemy, they engage in a battle and (usually) end up at the bottom of the sea.

Well I don't think this fleet was really piecemeal. I don't think they have so many carriers either. I am sure they are building tons of them at the moment with their 650 monstrous IC but for now, their number of carriers must be limited. This is realistic too, look at Battle of the Coral Sea, Americans brought 2 carriers ( one of them was USS Lexington:) ) and 9 cruisers. The Fleet I spotted was even stronger than the historical fleet with the addition of 3 battleships. The difference is that I built more carriers than IRL. I have 2 carrier fleets with 4 carriers in each one. I am not sure if Japanese had 8 carriers at any time of the war. My construction of more carriers was surely the difference but this was not without consequences either. My ground forces are very small compared to Russians and Germans. I don't have any armor divisions and only 3 motorized divisions. My fighter force is also limited. I built only 2 TAC squadrons and 1 NAV squadron since 1936.

The AI also keeps combining battleships with carriers, which should make it easier to sink more capital ships :)

For RN, you are certainly correct. I was very happy to see they lost more than 50 CL-DD. This encouraged me to increase pressure on India. I am planning to make landing at Calcutta to encircle entire British Burma Army.

I was going to suggest exactly that.

Wow, the British navy took a beating! The crew of KMS Admiral Scheer must have all received medals from the Führer himself :rolleyes: :)

As for the ASW fleet - when I play HoI2, I never bother with submarines and ASW fleets, simply because it requires too much attention from me (I really suck at multitasking). The submarines always run into an enemy fleet and get sunk or damaged, so they have to return to the port, and the ASW fleets have the same problem - they just don't know when to run. Instead of steaming full speed away from the enemy, they engage in a battle and (usually) end up at the bottom of the sea.

The AI also keeps combining battleships with carriers, which should make it easier to sink more capital ships :)

I was going to suggest exactly that.

Well, I had the same opinion with you when I play HOI2. But In DH, battleships are not useless at all. In the game I got CTD, my battle fleet encountered US carrier fleet and actually I managed to close them and damaged carriers. And, look at the encounter in East Andaman Sea in PART XLIII. Again, my battle fleet managed to get as close as 29 km to US Carrier Fleet. Most of the battle happened between my and AI's battleships. My two battleships took almost 50 percent damages ( these are not done USS Lexington but by 3 battleships) and I also damaged many destroyers and cruisers. In short, I think battleships may be quite dangerous to any kind of surface ships.

For India, I am stuck in Burma and want to use favoruable terrain between Calcultta and Tibet. Then I will try to isolate Burma from the coasts. If I succeed, British Burma Army will be trapped in a big pocket surrounded by China, Tibet and my territories.

Well, I had the same opinion with you when I play HOI2. But In DH, battleships are not useless at all. In the game I got CTD, my battle fleet encountered US carrier fleet and actually I managed to close them and damaged carriers. And, look at the encounter in East Andaman Sea in PART XLIII. Again, my battle fleet managed to get as close as 29 km to US Carrier Fleet. Most of the battle happened between my and AI's battleships. My two battleships took almost 50 percent damages ( these are not done USS Lexington but by 3 battleships) and I also damaged many destroyers and cruisers. In short, I think battleships may be quite dangerous to any kind of surface ships.

But still, combining battleships and carriers in one fleet isn't the most efficient way to use them, is it?

For India, I am stuck in Burma and want to use favoruable terrain between Calcultta and Tibet. Then I will try to isolate Burma from the coasts. If I succeed, British Burma Army will be trapped in a big pocket surrounded by China, Tibet and my territories.

You'll still have to capture the coastal provinces in Burma if you want to starve them out though. On a brighter note, once you get rid of them, the rest of India should be easy. Then you can dig in at the Iranian border, use your Chinese units to garrison the coastal provinces, and India can become a valuable member of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere :D

But still, combining battleships and carriers in one fleet isn't the most efficient way to use them, is it?

You'll still have to capture the coastal provinces in Burma if you want to starve them out though. On a brighter note, once you get rid of them, the rest of India should be easy. Then you can dig in at the Iranian border, use your Chinese units to garrison the coastal provinces, and India can become a valuable member of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere :D

Yeah not the most efficient way but not inefficient either. If in the last encounter, American battleships managed to close my carrier fleet, then probably our view would have been different :)

Capturing the coast is also part of plan. They left the coasts without much defense because of fighting ongoing in inner regions of Burma. From Bassein to Calcutta, there are 3 coastal provinces, that shouldn't be very hard. The hardest part is mountanious region near Tibetan border. I am sure they will defense this passage fiercely to keep their supply lines open.

Status
Not open for further replies.