Duct-Tape The Theism, Mend the Schism. Vassalise 3 Popes, 7 Patriarchs & 2 Caliphs

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Better to die for the Emperor than live for yourself.

Not pictured: the immortal God-Emperor of Mankind as the Byzantine Emperor responsible for all this.

Added his picture :) Also added step 8 because I forgot to mention that I had made the Doukas linage into Sayyid Muhammad descendants.

I'm 90% sure it would work to
(1) Make yourself an anti-pope (vassalize Pope, get him to join Independence faction and surrender when they try to break away; you get weak inheritable claim on the Papacy, which makes the game think you and your subsequent heirs are anti-Popes).

Yup this will work, but you will lose the title of (anti)Pope as soon as you convert back to Orthodox. I had also tried that with Lollard seeing if I could have a Lollard anti-pope. Unfortunately he lost the title also.

If you instead landed any holy order/mercenary leader as a KING, then killed them, YOU would get the title.

Just make sure that your realm is ok with you having multiple extra duchies, as each holy order title counts as a separate ducal level title.

Epic.
Part of the fun that I have with sandbox games like this is seeing how far one can drive the engine to do crazy stuff. This sort of "emergent gameplay" is always fascinating to me. Bravo!

This is exactly my thoughts too. Of course I like to play the game as it was intended, but especially with sandbox games... finding a way of doing something unexpected is just as fun.

I hope they do (fix the invite loophole), and then someone manages to do it again anyway.

I think I actually know how to do it without using the Debbie invite trick. It takes quite a bit more scheming and considerably more time... but I'll wait to see how Paradox fixes it/changes it/comments on it, before making any stronger claims than that.

I wonder though, OP, what went through your head before you did this? Did it come gradually to do such lunacy, or as a flash of madness?
Of all things, I find vassalizing Mamluks the most astonishing. Not because it's the most difficult, but because it's the most gamey - it's so gamey it's beyond gamey :D

Started this campaign with the sole intention of vassalising all the Orthodox and Coptic churches. Wasnt planning on vassalising the Catholic Pope as I already knew that was possible as a Catholic. (Working out how to do it as an Orthodox was fun though!)

In all honesty, didnt even realise vassalising the Caliphs was possible... let alone being able to raise the Mamluks and Ghilmans. Even though I had known about the method of getting a strong Muslim claimant into the court for awhile now... I just had never used it to actually do it since accidently doing it the first time thinking I was matri-marrying my daughter to a dark skinned catholic in my realm.

Last edited:
Ok, the added step 8 is just awesome, tasty, sweet sweeeet frosting on the insanity cake.

Step 9: If you give a Holy Order/Mercenary unit a Kingdom, and then assassinate them shortly after, both the kingdom title and the mercenary title will pass to you.

Step 9: If you give a Holy Order/Mercenary unit a Kingdom, and then assassinate them shortly after, both the kingdom title and the mercenary title will pass to you.
Too late:
If you instead landed any holy order/mercenary leader as a KING, then killed them, YOU would get the title.

Just make sure that your realm is ok with you having multiple extra duchies, as each holy order title counts as a separate ducal level title.

:)

Hmm. I think at least the vassalizing Christian religious heads shouldn't necessarily be fixed. Think of it as reuniting Christianity under the umbrella of a more tolerant big-tent type in which you've reformed the Church so that the Emperor is God's disciple on Earth and the religious heads are merely his deputies.

Freaking awesome achievement though. I can't wait for a Paradox employee to see this in a few hours and spit out their morning tea/coffee/beer.

On a related note, is it possible to become a non-muslim caliph, legitimately? I KNOW it can be done, but I have never done it outside of using the console(Not in the way you would think, either).

Yes you can.

My current game is 100% legitimate although I have gone back to some old saves to console test some alternate scenarios.
My ruler (pictured in step 8) has a weak claim on the Shia caliphate due to his father being a strong claimant and the guy I used to get Sayyid.
I found another strong claimant, got him married and invited to my court. Landed him next door to the Caliph. I did have to console switch to him to initiate the claim war... but we all know it would have happened sooner or later. Switched back to my guy and was able to war and win the caliphate.

I actually assumed that the caliphate would be destroyed after my next succession since the new heir is not Shiite... but it looks like the son has inherited the caliphate no problems.

No idea if he can call Jihad though. As I dont own SOI, Im not sure what the conditions are other than X number of years after the last one was called.

Not pictured; the Basilious proclaiming himself Sol Invictus and conquering like mad man

I made the king of Sweden in my game Sayyid for fun when you could still matri-mary muslims :p
A non exploit-ish way would be pressing a de jure claim on a sayyid muslim, he would still your vassal and you could then matri-marry your daughter to one of his sons.

Someone give this man a freakin' medal.

You may just be the first person to ubiquitously win the game.

How did PrawnStar win EUIII?

What about his under BB limit WC as England in 1765?
Or the one where he conquered nearly the whole world ( i think 10 provinces were missing) as Iroquis?
I think that´s pretty impressive and game-winning. ;)

We're waiting on a save B)
Oh, I just thought that was something people said lol. Didnt realise you actually wanted it... but yeah I dont mind sending the save game.

I just had a look and the file is 60MB. Is that normal? I remember when I used to play EUIII there was a save game issue where it was adding extra lines to the end of the file. Doesnt seem like that is happening here, but Im just not sure if 60MB is normal?

Could it be that big because I am a save game addict and also leave the game running all day even when Im not at home? lol
*shrugs*

Anyway, happy to send the file via one of those free mega file web senders if you want to message me an email address to my PM.
Id rather send the file individually rather than a pasted link just so I can see what kind of interest is in it :)

I will send the save of my Queen (mother of my Sayyid son) who has just reduced a Russian Empire sized Golden Horde down to a 1 duchy entity ready to work on taking the GH title.
Also, bonus task for anyone interested. I have just un-helped Venice in their defense of an invasion CB issued by their previously employed mercenary The White Company. The White Company now rules the Croatian coast...(independently temporarily)

Congratulations!