• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maybe try avoiding the warrior lodge at first and go purely carousing focus, then carouse with those elders and your council, wife and concubines until the sun comes up. That's what I did at the start, together with sway. When they like you, go war focus and warrior lodge, get your dueling skill up by dueling rivals (antagonize until they become rivals) - with this focus and a fabricated claim on someone's land, you can actually take it over *without* an army, just by winning it in a duel. Nets you a nice achievement if you pull it off, too.
Seems like a safe plan if I don't get harassed by my neighbors. Daura is surrounded by High Chiefs, and dudes that hold multiple counties by themselves. My thought was to use the Business Focus to get a boost of money so I can boost my land, then bribe the elders. But he's never lived past the first 5 years for me to change Focus again, lul. His heir is pretty well off, but never survives Regency.

You made me curious, so I've just started a Daura attempt myself. I started without automatically created families and without shattered retreat, which may make a difference. Before unpausing, I got married right away and also created and took three concubines. I also immediately declared war and raised my levies: the Gobir/Tahoua count next to me had a lower martial score and thus slightly fewer troops (RNG I guess) and if you send your troops into Gobir immediately after declaring war, you can fight his levies before they've had a chance of uniting. Then you play ping-pong and make sure you follow them and fight them several times until only 150 are left. Then you can siege Tahoua until 100% warscore are achieved. Congrats, you are now a three county count, which should make the rest easier, I hope. Edit: By 778, I already had 7 counties and two strong allies (I had weakened the guy to the south with his 4 counties by raiding him first).

P.S.: I think going with "created families=off" is the way to go here, because then you will have zero dynasty apart from the children you're going to have, and the elders hating your guts won't matter because there will be no wrong choices.

P.S. 2: I've just realized that it's not possible to start with full council power as a tribal realm in 769, so I wonder what happened there in my Ghana playthrough... Maybe this happened while I was an imbecilic child ruler or something? All I know is that it seemed to me that very early in the game, I already had full council power without having actively done that.

Last edited:
You made me curious, so I've just started a Daura attempt myself. I started without automatically created families and without shattered retreat, which may make a difference. Before unpausing, I got married right away and also created and took three concubines. I also immediately declared war and raised my levies: the Gobir/Tahoua count next to me had a lower martial score and thus slightly fewer troops (RNG I guess) and if you send your troops into Gobir immediately after declaring war, you can fight his levies before they've had a chance of uniting. Then you play ping-pong and make sure you follow them and fight them several times until only 150 are left. Then you can siege Tahoua until 100% warscore are achieved. Congrats, you are now a three county count, which should make the rest easier, I hope. Edit: By 778, I already had 7 counties and two strong allies (I had weakened the guy to the south with his 4 counties by raiding him first).

P.S.: I think going with "created families=off" is the way to go here, because then you will have zero dynasty apart from the children you're going to have, and the elders hating your guts won't matter because there will be no wrong choices.

P.S. 2: I've just realized that it's not possible to start with full council power as a tribal realm in 769, so I wonder what happened there in my Ghana playthrough... Maybe this happened while I was an imbecilic child ruler or something? All I know is that it seemed to me that very early in the game, I already had full council power without having actively done that.
I can't play with Shattered Retreat off because I play with Achievements on, but sounds like you either had a good roll or I've had 4 REALLY bad ones (most of the time my highest stat at the start was a 5 either in Learning, Stewardship or Diplomacy -- Once I had an 8 in Learning!).

It's also a bit silly how the elders are named. In my latest Norse (Germanic) game two of my elders were Catholic priests...

Isn't it just anyone who hits the age threshold?
No, once there are more to choose from, they are chosen based on their learning stat and based on having previously been your or someone else's elder (this gives them a bonus). That's why priests often become elders, they have high learning. I do believe that the game picking elders from other religions and cultures so much must be a bug. It should be the elders of the tribe deciding, not some random heretic from a thousand miles away whom I've just conquered.