• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sigh... going to have to upgrade my graphics card sometime soon, from my old Nvidia 9800GT to something with more revv. Any suggestions? (because this is a technical support forum, right?)

This one time, my video card burst into flames.

tumblr_kzay4aXg2W1qace09o1_400.jpg

That's not funny. A friend of mine suffered serious injury to his legs when a computer disk drive exploded.

I wasn't trying to be funny, I was telling Tai that this one time my video card burst into flames.

Whenever you go looking for a new component (especially a video card), pay attention to the benchmarks.

I haven't bought a video card in something like a year and a half. I couldn't tell you what the best deal is at the moment.

Whenever you go looking for a new component (especially a video card), pay attention to the benchmarks.

I haven't bought a video card in something like a year and a half. I couldn't tell you what the best deal is at the moment.

Funny enough I'm looking at the same thing right now. Looks like the 6770s have virtually nothing on 5770s. What are you running currently, Taii, what's your whole rig?

Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU "860 @ 2.8 GHz 2.79 GHz" (quadcore 2.8 GHz)
RAM: 4 GB
GPU: Nvidia 9800 GT

Not sure about the PSU, should be around 500 watts, or the motherboard. I was thinking of upgrading to a GTX 560, which was recommended to me by random strangers on a different forum.

You might want to be careful with your PSU. If it's a generic PSU rated at 500W and a few years old, a new card might burn it out combined with that quad-core. On the other hand, be careful of shysters. I had guys try to sell me 1000W PSUs to run a dual-core Phenom II 3GHz, Radeon HD5770, DVD drive (not even a burner), 4GB DDR3 1666, and one hard drive! If it's a good brand PSU 500W then you should be okay. Look for a wattage calculator online and see what it says.

As for the card itself, Tom's Hardware benchmarks can be a real pain for getting a straight answer: there are a 19 GTX 560 Tis being benchmarked in the Gamer category, and they bench very differently. It would appear that the Gainward GTX 560 Ti Phantom benches half as much, checking specs its mostly the same but the memory runs at half the speed. There's an EVGA GTX 560 Ti selling for $375 that I can find at my preferred dealer that isn't benched on that list, but which has the same memory clockrate as the Nvidia card (my preferred seller has no OEM GTX 560 Ti). For the same price there's an ex-demo HD6970 that benches higher (it's tempting me no end actually... must... be satisfied... with 5770...)

What do you intend to spend, that might be an easier way to do this, and are you a Nvidia homeboy or will you dabble with ATi?

You might want to be careful with your PSU. If it's a generic PSU rated at 500W and a few years old, a new card might burn it out combined with that quad-core. On the other hand, be careful of shysters. I had guys try to sell me 1000W PSUs to run a dual-core Phenom II 3GHz, Radeon HD5770, DVD drive (not even a burner), 4GB DDR3 1666, and one hard drive! If it's a good brand PSU 500W then you should be okay. Look for a wattage calculator online and see what it says.

As for the card itself, Tom's Hardware benchmarks can be a real pain for getting a straight answer: there are a 19 GTX 560 Tis being benchmarked in the Gamer category, and they bench very differently. It would appear that the Gainward GTX 560 Ti Phantom benches half as much, checking specs its mostly the same but the memory runs at half the speed. There's an EVGA GTX 560 Ti selling for $375 that I can find at my preferred dealer that isn't benched on that list, but which has the same memory clockrate as the Nvidia card (my preferred seller has no OEM GTX 560 Ti). For the same price there's an ex-demo HD6970 that benches higher (it's tempting me no end actually... must... be satisfied... with 5770...)

What do you intend to spend, that might be an easier way to do this, and are you a Nvidia homeboy or will you dabble with ATi?

Yeah, my PSU is a few years old and its seen some heat abuse, I only just recently cleaned the case and up till then it was caked in so much dust it also became a fire hazard.

I was thinking of spending $200-$300, plus whatever it would cost to get a new PSU... and I much prefer Nvidia over ATi, for whatever reason. I find that a few of my favorite games focus on optimizing for Nvidia cards over the ATi cards, for example the Battlefield 3 beta was running terribly for one person who had a 1.5 gb ATi card but was running smoothly for them on the same Nvidia card as I'm running, the 512 mb Nvidia 9800GT, and EvE Online actually burnt out some peoples ATi cards when they added in the Captain's Quarters.

Um, what the hell? I don't have orders from either France or Russia...

Or Austria-Hungary...

Did they all just ragequit?

About Austria, it seems they are busy. About France and Russia I don't know.

Especially with this deadline. Sure your inbox wasn't full, Tai? Although if it was, you'd think that the country trying to send in orders would kick and scream.