• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Loving 1.3 so far, fairly historical game so far but by Jan 1942 moscow is still out of sight. General Winter is not nice.

One small nitpick (might be purely SF AI) but the AI seems to really really love grouping it's interceptors in huge stacks (10+).

@DD & DangVang,
You guys hit it a grand slam, Honestly, it's great! I'm playing with the VWP_Panzer mod and which makes it even better. I

I need some advice... from some of the good players here. Sadly, I am not a good player/general.

1. Is invading Norway even worth it? Seems I totally wreck my Navy trying to keep sea lanes open for supply, committed 2 corps of Mountain Infantry which could be better used else where and have to supply by air sometimes - all this for very little return. I think assets could be better used on the French front. Advice/Suggestions?

2. My Subs were tearing up the shipping lanes when all of a sudden the tables turned and I was lucky to get any of them back to a safe port. Scared now to put them back to sea. I was using basic tried and turn tactics (1 sub @ Passive performing Convoy Raider) with much attention paid to research...most all research up to 1943. Whew! What happened and how do I counter it because their life expectancy is less than a few weeks out there now.

3. Interceptors and TAC bombers... I have followed many discussions on what is the best stack (amount) and thought 6 INT or 5 TAC was optimum but now I am not so sure. It appears that by putting my INT in stacks of 3 they last a lot longer; however, doing that with TACs gets them shot to hell in a hurry. Was there any changes made in DIG that might affect this? What is the optimum stack for INTs and TACs now?

4. Big question: Is there anyway to stop the RN (includes the Common Wealth) when playing Germany? (still banging my head over Norway and looking for something I missed...)

Regards,
Rick

Until FTM comes out with the strategic resources changes, invading Norway is a waste of time. The gain you get in resources/MP doesn't offset your commitment in invading forces and garrison troops at all.

I had the same with my subs but moved them out a bit further from the usual patrolled areas and don't get attacked anymore, though with the tougher bonuses against convoy raiding I get a lot less kills. Not sure if it is because the Brits are mostly out of convoys or what.

I leave my INT at 4 and my TAC at 3 or 4. I am getting the TAC shot up a lot more too over Russia. I had an easy time with them against the Brits in the desert (with no air cover) but the Russians must have a lot of AA or something. I was going to try stacks of 2 TAC in my next game since I read that recommended somewhere else on these forums. Something about the stack size and penalties. But if they get shot up even more I may go back to stacks of 4.

The RN usually chews me up because they have much better Naval doctrines than I do, so I try to keep the fighting brief and under a big umbrella of air cover. Bring INTs to knock down their CAGs and bombers to hit their ships (the bombers will take a lot of damage, just fyi). I also have started building 2 CVLs (CVEs?) early to protect my battleships. I seem to lose more DDs than anything though.

Loving 1.3 so far, fairly historical game so far but by Jan 1942 moscow is still out of sight. General Winter is not nice.

One small nitpick (might be purely SF AI) but the AI seems to really really love grouping it's interceptors in huge stacks (10+).

I haven't seen this in the games I have played. Now I have seen where they may put 2 or 3 groups together over a battle area that equal 10+ aircraft.

I haven't seen this in the games I have played. Now I have seen where they may put 2 or 3 groups together over a battle area that equal 10+ aircraft.

That's possibly it, but the net result is the same, fights with my 2 INTs doing fine and their INTs at negative combat effectiveness due to overstacking.

@DD & DangVang,
You guys hit it a grand slam, Honestly, it's great! I'm playing with the VWP_Panzer mod and which makes it even better. I

I need some advice... from some of the good players here. Sadly, I am not a good player/general.

1. Is invading Norway even worth it? Seems I totally wreck my Navy trying to keep sea lanes open for supply, committed 2 corps of Mountain Infantry which could be better used else where and have to supply by air sometimes - all this for very little return. I think assets could be better used on the French front. Advice/Suggestions?

2. My Subs were tearing up the shipping lanes when all of a sudden the tables turned and I was lucky to get any of them back to a safe port. Scared now to put them back to sea. I was using basic tried and turn tactics (1 sub @ Passive performing Convoy Raider) with much attention paid to research...most all research up to 1943. Whew! What happened and how do I counter it because their life expectancy is less than a few weeks out there now.

3. Interceptors and TAC bombers... I have followed many discussions on what is the best stack (amount) and thought 6 INT or 5 TAC was optimum but now I am not so sure. It appears that by putting my INT in stacks of 3 they last a lot longer; however, doing that with TACs gets them shot to hell in a hurry. Was there any changes made in DIG that might affect this? What is the optimum stack for INTs and TACs now?

4. Big question: Is there anyway to stop the RN (includes the Common Wealth) when playing Germany? (still banging my head over Norway and looking for something I missed...)

Regards,
Rick

1. Norway isn't really useful. The ports you get are pointless as you should be getting better ones in France pretty soon. MP and resource wise, not a lot to get there. I always conquer it though.

2. My subs are doing great from France, groups of 2, almost never get spotted (lost the grand total of 1 so far), UK is out of convoys now in Mar 1942 (but so is Italy, seems UKs subs are doing pretty good in the Med as well).

3. I use both in groups of 2.

4. Yes, build BB + DD fleets and slowly grind them into the ground.

The amount of time it takes to defeat Norwya is ridiculous... they had railways and very few troops historically, just like in the game. In the game it takes AGES to crawl your way up the length of the country to capture places like Tronheim.

The amount of time it takes to defeat Norwya is ridiculous... they had railways and very few troops historically, just like in the game. In the game it takes AGES to crawl your way up the length of the country to capture places like Tronheim.

I'm not sure that province has a VP. You need to only capture Oslo and Narvik. Usually the crawl to Narvik is slow, but I personally use paratroopers for it (it's almost always undefended a few days after the war declaration as Norway blindly sends all of its troops to defence of Oslo).

I'm not sure that province has a VP. You need to only capture Oslo and Narvik. Usually the crawl to Narvik is slow, but I personally use paratroopers for it (it's almost always undefended a few days after the war declaration as Norway blindly sends all of its troops to defence of Oslo).

Ah that might work. I wouldn;t know as I never use paratroppers. They feel too much like cheating.

Maybe that's why they actually invaded near there in real life.

Thanks Guys! So, I abandoned Norway and managed to extract all my troops without getting nailed by the RN but had to engaged RN with the remainder of my Navy to do so.

I also see HUGE stacks of INT and BOMBERS attacking me however it seems my 3 stack of INT handle them well...not sure what's going on there. My TAC stacks of 3 continue to get chewed up even but seem a bit better after I added a INT to the stack.

I am playing on HARD and it sure seems the French have a lot more troops - a lot more! Normally, I play with just 4 mobile Korps (2 MOT and 2 Pz Korps) but had to add another Pz Korps to handle the situation. Making the end run for Paris now and hoping I can break through.

Rick

interesting discussion on Norway!
what about this from Germany's perspective:
only take the 4 lower bases/cities
oslo
kristiansand
stavanger
bergen
stavanger points right at the uk

narvik is some 700+ km's from northern germany

Saved Game loading fail

Well, after uninstalling everything and reinstalling HoI3 + SF + 2.04d + DI, I played until 1941 and everything was running fine. I saved for the night and today... Fails upon loading. I do not get any error message. I simply crash to the desktop and get a windows pop up that says HoI3 stopped working.

The checksum I have is IDBA.

Well, after uninstalling everything and reinstalling HoI3 + SF + 2.04d + DI, I played until 1941 and everything was running fine. I saved for the night and today... Fails upon loading. I do not get any error message. I simply crash to the desktop and get a windows pop up that says HoI3 stopped working.

The checksum I have is IDBA.

Please when anyone has a crash, upload your save. Without it I can't do anything.

interesting discussion on Norway!
what about this from Germany's perspective:
only take the 4 lower bases/cities
oslo
kristiansand
stavanger
bergen
stavanger points right at the uk

narvik is some 700+ km's from northern germany

As I said - it won't work. The VPs are in Narvik and Oslo, you NEED those provinces to make Norway surrender. The nuclear reactor event also appears only when you control that province AFAIK (which means you can't just hold onto the port provinces and then just sit there), plus - when you invade Norway, it joins allies, if you keep waiting around and let Norway survive without occupation, then there's high possibility of Allies sending reinforcements. In that case you will REALLY SUFFER massive casualties and you'll get pushed out, unless you're ready to send massive reinforcements there which is a waste of manpower. Another option is lowering Norway's NU below 50%, but that's close to impossible with the rate of NU lowering spies stuff + the fact that Norway's starting NU is around 90% and the fact that they can just put spies on incerase national unity and they will instantly be gaining more than loosing.

@Devildread: Where should I upload my savegame with the bug of paternal autocrat party gaining massive org incerase thru spies even thought for 2 years straight there's no sign of any paternal autocrat spies raising party support in my country?

Upload anywhere but link here. :)

Use winrar or 7zip or anything in order to have little filesize.

A couple of questions...

1) Is Leningrad really supposed to have a LVL10 fort? I know it was a hard place to take, but I don't think the cities level of defenses were up the the Maginot.

2) What benefit do you get from the Russian RR operation? -10% IC is a lot to loose.

I invaded the USSR on May 15, and I have made it just past Smolensk. Invading earlier than June 22nd is essential!

Last edited:
Hi DevilDread,

I am wondering if you are now less busy to look into the bugs that I have mentioned before.

On my own, I've been trying to solve this bug. I copied the DI:G model files onto the Vanilla model files folder. Then the boxes were removed!

What does this mean? Could this be the missing piece to solve the bug?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Hopefully the FTM-compatibility patch will fix your problem. I'm glad you find something in the mean time. :)