• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Reading this prompted me to look into how the Japanese conducted their war in China: aside from the obvious "poorly," the Japanese did not really want to advance too deeply into China, because of the inability to control things much beyond the cities and lines of communication. The Japanese only started trying to get into the hinterlands in 1944 when US bomber commands began to bomb Japan from bases in China, and that assault (Operation Ichi-Go, with logistics that would make OTL modern Russians cringe) just sort of ended.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So the peasants are revolting again, nothing news.
That are some serious losses you get there are you a bit optimistic when planning the attacks? attacking over rivers, into mountains, defended by lots of dug in units is not cheap.

ps. the German trained light units implode with high regularity when you play China, might happen also when playing Japan.
pps. light infrantry sucks also for germany.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm glad to see there's a counter-weight to the Major Victory (I guess I should have assumed that there would be). What are the effects of that?

Interesting, I'm thoroughly enjoying this AAR. I'd imagine that this is very different from what we normally see here, and that's probably why there's a distinct lack of response. I know the feelings.
The effects are not that serious for a Major Defeat - you gain 10 points of War Exhaustion which for some countries may make follow up DoW difficult. In this campaign though, Japan will get a couple of war options made available to them that I will take. We'll see a couple of them after the Chinese Conflict and Pearl Harbor in 1941. I'm glad you're enjoying this AAR!
You seem to be doing alright. Once you spread the line out China will have to spread to counter you, weakening their defense. Once your spread out enough, granted you have enough divisions, China won't be able to stop you. You already have Shanghai so you're doing pretty well. Keep up the fight Emperor. Show them no mercy
Thank you! The initial push in to northern China is always rough but once you start landing on the beaches, it helps pull RoC units off the front lines. At this point, it's just a matter of when, not if China gets defeated.
Interesting. Japan is starting to suffer some serious losses now. If only the Germans had made their mind up a bit earlier on who would be their far eastern ally... All those German trained units are definitely a pain... (I feel you stock photo lady)

I like the that you get to form veteran units by bringing together the more experienced fighters from various other units. Having a more fine-grained difference between different but similar units seems like a plus to me.

What is the in-game impact of a 'major defeat' ?
We'll see how much manpower we've lost pretty soon - every other chapter I'll showcase the previous month's Strategic Warfare windows. The stock photo lady appreciates your empathy!

The veteran (and potentially elite) units you can get is a pretty neat addition in BICE. As Germany I often get a dozen or more from 1939 onward. I'm not certain what triggers it exactly - I'd imagine have so many Major Victories perhaps? In any event, the ones I have now will help form the nucleus of future units to be built.

Major Defeat produces a +10 addition to your War Exhaustion, meaning declaring war after your current one will be much more difficult.
Reading this prompted me to look into how the Japanese conducted their war in China: aside from the obvious "poorly," the Japanese did not really want to advance too deeply into China, because of the inability to control things much beyond the cities and lines of communication. The Japanese only started trying to get into the hinterlands in 1944 when US bomber commands began to bomb Japan from bases in China, and that assault (Operation Ichi-Go, with logistics that would make OTL modern Russians cringe) just sort of ended.
Heh, poorly is an under-statement. There is so much more Japan could have done to defeat them but due to distances, supply lines, and leadership among other issues, Japan would never be able to mount a serious enough offensive on China. Here in the game, the player gets to make better decisions and apply sufficient resources to prosecuting the war.
So the peasants are revolting again, nothing news.
That are some serious losses you get there are you a bit optimistic when planning the attacks? attacking over rivers, into mountains, defended by lots of dug in units is not cheap.

ps. the German trained light units implode with high regularity when you play China, might happen also when playing Japan.
pps. light infrantry sucks also for germany.
I have forgotten that 11.x makes attacks across rivers much more difficult and in the future (roughly Feb '38) I start making adjustments for that.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 7: Sliding in to Fall

September 15th - 17th

September 15th brings two events with it, starting with Scorched Earth policies.
405 Sept 15 Scorched Earth.png
406 Scorched Earth 2.png

With no desire to increase threat on everyone, the Japanese government decides that it's best to not destroy land as we retreat. By the way, this event gets fired when you have a particularly heavy set of losses and are forced to retreat from combat.
407 Creation of Armies.png
409 Creation of Armies 2.png

The other event is the formation of nearly a half dozen divisions, chained off a couple prior events to this one. We'll need them pretty soon so we accept even though 2500 extra officers for turning it down would be nice. At the cost of some resources and reservation of IC that needs to be paid off over time, we get fresh blood.

410 Conflicts.png

The day also brings several conflicts with the Chinese attacking me in Huairen and Hunyuan provinces. Thanks to the recent Shanyincheng loss, my troops are exhausted and looking worse for wear so the enemy is taking advantage here. What's not worse for wear are my Interceptors but for some reason the Chinese insist upon attacking my wing.
411 Sept 15 Air attack.png

After some Strength and Org loss, they fly away, providing my men more valuable experience.

412 Huairen & Hunyuan results.png

Apparently the Chinese were merely probing as combined I only lost 10 men to their over 900. Near Shanghai, far more losses sustained by both sides in a Japanese win at Hangzhou.
413 Hangzhou result.png

The SNLF are settling in and my troops are digging entrenchments all around. We mean to hold this zone at all costs and with help on the way, it won't be a problem.

414 Sept 16 Bayan Mod result.png

The next day our troops attacking in Bayan Mod win the battle and push the defenders out. We're doing well here but with only two divisions and a Corps HQ, I only have a couple more provinces left in the tank, so to speak.
415 Attack on Utokho and Zhongwei.png

And here are those couple provinces, perhaps. The 20th moves westward, still while the Dai-8 Specialized Light Infantry goes south with assistance from the Chosen-gun HQ. It'll take a week before Zhongwei is taken.
416 Sept 17 Production.png

Our Production queue is looking better, even with all of the Upgrades and Reinforcements required. Supplies I will dial down a bit in a month but for now we'll be seeing the bulk of our Industry completing next month. The Marine unit for my Hero Unit is just a couple weeks away too!

During the last two weeks of September, another 3 Chinese transports get sunk but that's all of the naval battles seen thru the rest of the month.
418 Yongqing result.png

On land, even with over half a million troops involved on both sides, Japan retreats from Yongqing as losses were getting too much. With five times as many troops lost in the battle, it's a major defeat for certain, imposing a +10 War Exhaustion. Afterwards on the 17th, the Chinese attack violently in several provinces, emboldened by their huge victory here.
420 Sept 17 combats.png

Yulin is a huge win for us though, which we'll take. The other attacks by the Chinese will eventually fizzle as well.

421 Utokho result.png

Out west, the mood is still good as we keep pushing westward with minimal casualties. Even the southern push from Bayan Mod is going well at 94%, though it's still a week away from finishing.
422 Jingbian attack.png

A few hundred miles east in Communist Chinese country, the Yodo 4th division pulls a spoiling attack south on Jingbian to relieve the pressure east of them. We'll see soon how that works.

September 18th - 21st

423 Zhongwei battle.png

A couple days later on the 18th, we're still embroiled in the battle of Zhongwei but it's going well. Minimal losses for us and Chinese units are retreating out of this province every few hours.
424 Suide Result.png

A bit east of there and we see the spoiling attacking to help out my troops in Suide worked wonders! Light losses on our side while the Chinese lost a third of their troops here.
425 Sept 18 Beiping result.png

Back at Beiping, one of the attacks resulting from the Yongqing debacle is set in our favor with a couple dozen dead Japanese and over 3000 Chinese. I was not concerned as this was over a river, after all.

427 Shanghai movements.png

Here we see the reorganization of troops set up in the Shanghai zone with the Marines holding the northern area at this point. I will be giving up the three unoccupied provinces of Taizhou, Dafeng, and Nantong back to the Chinese as there's no reason to keep them for now. Overall, this zone is looking good and with several of the new Japanese divisions to be headed here soon, we'll be holding this point.

428 Guangrao battle.png

My Manchurian expeditionary forces are spread a little thin here and the Chinese realize it, attacking Guangrao province on the 19th. I won't stay here long if the battle goes against me.
429 Sept 19 Research.png

Peeking in on Air Systems research, we've just completed Wings Aerodynamics Advance and will drop the next level to research like a hot potato. Otherwise, everything here is good to go until next year - our air units have some of the best equipment available.

430 Yucheng battle.png

Nearby Guangrao, a good portion of my troops push southward in to Yucheng...is that German trained unit still there? It is, isn't it? What isn't there is the Chinese attack on Hunyuan a little northwest of here.
431 Hunyuan result.png

This result wasn't in doubt as we had over triple the men while they lost nearly a third of what they had. This section on the eastern front is going to go quickly, I feel.
433 Sept 19 Jingbian Attack.png

Checking in on Communist China, the Jingbian attack is still ongoing but at 79% now with the Suide troops assisting, it's not going to be long.

435 Tongxian result.png

Another Chinese push from the failed Yongqing battle results in them pulling out and retreating on the 20th.
436 Huailai result.png

Same here to the north at Huailai, with massive losses on the Chinese, thanks to their attacks across the river. This sector won't stay quiet but we will be pushing southward again soon enough, as the far southern attacks are pulling Nat Chinese troops off the front lines down to the areas I'm attacking.
437 Sept 21 Research.png

Gaining level 2 in CAGs, I check my Air force prototypes and determine some work needs to be done. At least 11 projects in this field alone need to be started!

As we push further in the northern reaches of China, down far to the south at Shanghai we are giving up some of the land we took in order to better consolidate and hold.
439 Shrinking Shanghai Sector.png

The first of three provinces I am releasing back to Nat China is entered today.
440 Yexian Result.png

Oh, here we see we have pushed too far with the Expeditionary forces and I pull them back quickly from Yexian. In fact, we'll be leaving Guangrao soon too.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Interesting pushes. Good to see that there's been a bit of challenge at keeping the Chinese from being rolled over too quickly!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Interesting pushes. Good to see that there's been a bit of challenge at keeping the Chinese from being rolled over too quickly!
Thank you! I always find China to be somewhat difficult so long as I select Hard or higher, which I've done for this AAR. I don't need China to be defeated too quickly as my men need experience!
My favourite is to attack from multiple direction where possible for teh boni!
Indeed, and that's something I try in every battle, even if it's a HQ supporting an adjacent province attack.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 7a: Sliding Further in to Fall

September 22nd - 25th

442 Xinzhou Defeat Sept 22.png

On the 22nd, in another scene we're familiar with, my troups pull out of Xinzhou as the spoiling attack from the south is causing moderate losses. While the Chinese had six times as many losses as I, they could sustain it with their nearly 200k men attacking. We will return though!

443 Sept 23 Zhongwei result.png

The next morning, our attack in the far west on Zhongwei bears fruit with minor losses on Japan's side. This will be as far as we can go with the limited manpower in this area and we have to wait for Communist China to fall. Speaking of, nearby in that country we attack Lvliang with strong forces leading the way.
444 Lvliang Battle.png

The 32% attack chance I feel isn't wholly accurate but it may be a long battle due to terrain.
445 Shrinking Shanghai Sector 2.png

Another province above is taken by the Nat Chinese in the Shanghai Sector and below we see another province lost with Xinzhou.
447 Xinzhou loss.png

Also this day, I pull the Cavalry units out of Guangrao to a safer province.
446 Guangrao Defeat.png

I definitely overstretched at this section in the far east and will need to reconsider what to do here. A plan begins to form in my head that won't see fruition until next month.

448 Sept 24 Research.png

On the 24th, we see some Air doctrines come to light and checking here there are easily over a dozen projects being worked on. Also, note that Propaganda Fails II result - when you lose battles, and as badly as I have a few times, you'll get increased dissent thanks to this event. Fortunately, it's easy to overturn with some winning ways! Speaking of,
449 Yucheng Result.png

we push the Chinese out of Yucheng, inflicting heavy casualties on them even though we're outnumbered 2:1. These are all veterans from the northern city fights, so it's no wonder they're doing well.

451 Kenli Result.png

With my Expeditionary Cav forces fleeing back to Kenli, it's good to see we held off the RoC forces here. A small bridgehead over the river is needed at this point and I'll do all I can to hold it. Not being held is Jingbian by the Communists.
452 Jingbian result.png

Moderate losses suffered by the Japan with over 10% of the Chinese dying to try and stem the tide here. Ideally I'll start to surround their capitol very soon!
453 Utokho battle.png

Out west, Yanxi tries to oust me from Utokho but nay, I say. Here is where I'll be holding as I cannot push forward any further.

Not mentioned since the Communist Chinese event is what's been happening on Taiwan.
454 Chinese Communists!.png
455 CC Conflict.png

Looking over there on the 25th, I spy a Partisan and it's Corps HQ have taken over a couple provinces there, whereupon I attempt to roust them. Not a death-defying series of events here but it does bring some attention to the homeland. Unfortunately, things don't go well in Yilan province in northern Taiwan.
456 Battle results.png

Both of my garrison troops are decimated and flee back to Tokyo with no losses from the Partisans. How humiliating! At least we push out the HQ unit in Hualian...
458 Taiwan battle plan.png

With that, here's the plan at forcing these invaders to exit.

457 Sept 25 Tongxian result.png

A Chinese attack on Tongxian goes poorly for them as some of our other Expeditionary forces along with Infantry help repel the assault.
459 Battle of Hejian.png

A new battle erupts in Hejian where over a half dozen forces with two of those damned German trained units engages me. This battle may last for a bit. What doesn't last is the attack on Utokho
460 Utokho result.png

as we outnumbered the enemy here and after suffering only two dozen deaths, cause the Chinese to lose 20% of their force. Even better is the attack on Huailai to the north.
461 Huailai result.png

Over a third of their troops are lost here as the evening falls on this day.

September 26th - 30th

September is winding down but things are heating up in China at the moment.
463 Chinese front.png

Taking a look at the majority of the front, the Japanese have pushed in several areas and been pushed out of others. Chinese forces are moving all over and it looks like they're beginning to abandon the northern river defensive zone. I'll be attacking there soon enough! Note too, Sweden is being pressured to join the Russian area of influence - I imagine Germany won't like that.
464 SCW.png

The Spanish Civil War hasn't progressed too much further, but it's safe to say the Spanish Republic isn't long for this world.

On the 27th, after the 4th Yobo division has entered Jingbian, the Chinese counter-attack.
465 Jingbian battle.png

I'll need to keep a careful eye on this development. Also, having moved in to Yucheng after winning that battle, the Chinese counter attacked there but were swiftly defeated.
467 Yucheng result.png

This area is looking good, now I just need reinforcements to appear. Two air battles on the 28th and 29th finish off the month's Air Force experience.
468 Air battle.png
470 Sept 29 air combat.png

In both instances the Chinese fled.

Far to the West, Shanxi knows they have to push me out of Xibei San Ma territory.
469 Sept 29 Zhongwei battle.png

But, to no avail!
471 Zhongwei result.png

Another Mines Investment opportunity comes nigh and I take it as I want to reach level 4 at least in these resources.
474 Mines upgrades.png

Back in Taiwan on the 30th, the Communist Partisan is causing trouble.
475 Taiwan conflict.png
476 Sept 30 Taizhong battle.png

With them attacking my Garrison Corps HQ, this too may not go well - we'll see!

As we reach the end of September and this chapter, we've seen Japan undergo two months of conflict in China and made modest gains.
477 End of Sept.png

Not pictured is of course the Shanghai Sector to the southeast and the westward push in to Xibei San Ma. Next month will bring some interesting events to light as I make some adjustments to the battle in the north. I have to remember, time is on my side here!

• 4Like
Reactions:
I'm marveling about the uprising on Formosa... It's only (notionally) been in Japanese hands for thirty or so years at this point. So, how is there a really solid base for such a rising?!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Chapter 8: October is Awesome!

October 1st - 2nd

481 Sept Naval results.png
482 Sept Air results.png
483 Sept Land results.png

Let's take a look at the carnage from last month here in these three screenshots. Again, no Naval ship losses reported for the Chinese seemingly, even though several of their vessels met their doom. Still, we're still sinking cargo ships left and right with just over 20k tons lost at more than 300 IC in value. Japanese ships took some minor damage earlier in the month. In the air battle, the Chinese have been bombing a couple of our homeland provinces, costing us nearly 100 IC with an equivalent amount enforced on them by us. IC losses to air units is pretty close and very minor as well. Land is a different story, as seen in the third picture. Here the IC losses are 6:1 in our favor and manpower is just off the chart. 118 to 4800 and I just don't know how the Chinese can continually suffer these losses.

480 Oct 1 Research.png

Taking a look at the Armor II projects available and there's a couple here that need to be picked up, though not urgently. Eventually though it's going to be needed as we may be required to assist Germany with Russia. Not for several years yet!
479 Wuwei attack.png

Out west we are still pushing as much as we can afford to, keeping provinces on our sides that cannot be entered. Eventually though we won't be able to move forward any longer in this front until forces come up thru Communist China.
484 Snow.png

I forgot how early the snows fall in China and elsewhere...hopefully this won't impact us much.
485 Production.png

Start of the month hasn't changed too much for Production as I'm looking to rebuild Supplies, keep Reinforcements coming in, and Upgrading as much as possible. Only a couple days away from my Hero unit getting their Marine backbone!

486 Oct 2 event.png
487 Event 2.png

On the 2nd, another Veteran unit is spawned, just like the others prior and will await a newly built unit years later to staff. Government Secretary Focus is on tap too and we select the Re-organization of the War Ministry in hopes of lowering recruit time.
488 Event 3.png
489 Event 4.png

We'll take advantage of a redeployment of troops - again, not exactly free as we lose resources and officers but we get a couple Infantry divisions able to move in to the Shanghai Sector. While the +500 officers would be great, we need the units there more. Lastly this day,
490 Event 5.png

we somehow learn how to produce more effective Tropical Island Garrison Units. They are pretty effective when defending on islands, so there's that.

491 Oct 2 Huairen results.png

Finally after a few days we push the Chinese out of Huairen with minimal losses. Of course, we had them vastly outnumbered too, so this battle wasn't in question.
493 Taiwan is free.png

What was still a question for a while was the Communist Partisan attacking my Corps HQ. As we can see here, I lost nearly half the men in that unit compared to only 80 Partisans, but it is the fact we still had more men than they. With that, Taiwan is free and the lost provinces will be recaptured soon.

October 3rd - 6th

495 Oct 3 event.png

This time a new Corps HQ is built up in Manchuko and again, while the 500 officers are sorely needed (check my 94% officer ratio there), we'll need the HQ unit more.
496 Oct 3 event 2.png

Oh, and looks like we won at Wuwei too!
498 Wuwei results.png

Meanwhile a little to the east,
499 Jingbian battle.png

the Communist Chinese are fighting back hard with this conflict not looking very good.

500 Lvliang Battle.png

The battle in Lvliang nearly next door is going pretty well though with several Chinese units getting ready to cut and run. Fortunately it looks like Winter isn't affecting the battle here yet.
501 Hejian battle.png

Being attacked yet again in Hejian it looks like we'll hold but a couple units are getting exhausted from the ongoing combat.
502 Shanghai Sector.png

Casting our eyes east and south, the Shanghai Sector is getting beefed up with a couple more Infantry divisions, leaving us a light armor unit, five Infantry, a Militia, and Corps HQ defending this zone. I start moving all of the SNFL Marines to Shanghai to ready for an upcoming operation I had been considering these past couple weeks.

A quick note, during these first two weeks of October, another five Chinese transports were sunk by Japanese subs. We'll see in a future chapter how well we did this month. We don't need to wait to see how well we're doing in Zhangye though!
504 Zangye Battle.png

It's still a raging conflict on October 4th but we should be wrapping this up pretty quickly.
505 Battle of Yongqing Redux.png

Just as we're about to enter Yongqing, the Chinese throw in some conscripts and a militia unit to try and hold this important province, but it will be for naught.

507 Oct 5 Production.png

On the 5th of October the Marine unit has already been produced and the IC freed up for a couple more Industry. Reinforcement needs are halved which provides more IC to the queue than the last couple months. Speaking of the Marine unit,
509 Hero Unit.png

my Hero Unit is now fully staffed and within a couple weeks will be ready for combat operations. It's slower than most SNLF thanks to the Artillery unit but I feel it's necessary to provide a little more "oomf" in combat. As the Marines redeploy to Shanghai and ready themselves for a future operation, let's take a look at what will be left in the Shanghai Sector.
510 Shanghai Sector Units.png

Five Infantry front line divisions, a low-strength light armor, the Militia policing Shanghai, and and very strong Corps HQ. This should be sufficient for all the attention being garnered and after all there's only 3 provinces requiring defense.

October 6th the Battle of Zhangye is ongoing and looking a little worse than prior for the Chinese.
511 Oct 6 Battle of Zhangye.png

512 Oct event.png

Another division, the Spring unit gets formed out of the regiments of the 11th Division, which I gladly accept.
513 Victory at Yongqing.png

Again, we force the Chinese out of Yongqing with minimal losses, and considering we outnumbered the attackers 5:1 it's not unexpected.

October 7th - 10th

515 Oct 7 Attack on Hangzhou.png

On the 7th, the Chinese begin to probe my lines at the Shanghai Sector but I'm not concerned as only a very exhausted Militia is attacking me with Conscript support.
516 Defense of Datong.png

Further north, we easily repel a battle from across the river in Datong, losing no one and the Chinese a magical 666 men. Considering I only had Corps HQ here, this is a good result!
518 Victory at Lvliang.png

This conflict in Lvliang went on for quite some time and involved many losses on both sides but finally we've finished and won.

Looking a week later on the 8th, our Research
520 Oct 8 Research.png

is chugging along wiht only a couple items in our Grand Battle Plan still needing completion.
521 Victory at Wuwei.png

It didn't take overly long but with the minimal forces involved it wasn't quick to win at Wuwei. Once we move in here and the western province, we're done with our westward movement for quite some time. The next day on the 9th, I finally pull the 4th Division out of Jingbian even though the Chinese lost more troops. Problem was here, they had the men to sustain the losses while I didn't.
525 Jingbian lost.png

Take a look at the lines in Communist China on the 10th after the RoC unit moves in to Jingbian.
526 Oct 10 Front lines.png

The lines begin to stabilize and will need to await unit reinforcements over in the east.
527 Battle of Pratas Reef.png

Our old friend the lone Chinese transport pops back in to view to be attacked by a destroyer group of mine. Sadly they get away again...

October 12th - 14th

I didn't skip a day as nothing of note happened on the 11th but we do see victory at Shuoxian!
529 Oct 12 Victory at Shuoxian.png

Minimal losses on our end help us secure the province. We begin to move over the river at Zhoulu as our scout indicated minimal resistance in the form of a Militia unit was there.
530 Attack on Zhoulu.png

Due to my maneuvers south of here, it makes sense that the Chinese would pull off the lines here.
534 Oct 13 Victory at Zhoulu.png

In fact a day later on the 13th we win the battle again with minimal losses. We thus push further south in to Renqiu which looks to be an easy win for us.

536 Oct 13 Chinese Conflict.png

Let's take a look at the entire Chinese front on the 13 there. A couple provinces have too low of infrastructure to enter, but otherwise it's a pretty snaky line going west to east with Shanghai in the lower right standing firm. We'll begin pushing more on the Republic of China line more and when those troops come south, most will swing to the west and hit Shanxi and eventually Communist China. I do have a surprise coming in the east, though.

538 Victory at Heijian and Renqiu.png

A win at Renqiu opens up that line more and a huge win at Hejian provides us our fourth victory streamer. Huge losses on both sides as nearly a third of a million troops were poured in to this region and about 20% of all involved died. Expensive, but ultimately worth it to hold this province.
539 Amphibious Invasions.png

And now for the surprise to the Chinese! I load up all my transports with everything they can carry and set sail for 3 separate invasion zones in the eastern peninsula of RoC. Next chapter I'll detail the exact landings more but suffice it to say the Marines are getting involved in their second amphibious expedition.

As this chapter closes on the 14th, Japanese cavalry units move south in to Laiyuan to begin a general south and westward push.
541 Attack on Laiyuan.png

With the well-trained infantry unit standing in my way, this may take a little while but we'll see. Next chapter we move in to the latter half of October and see how well my Marines can fight. The idea with this is to pull off some of the RoC troops I'm encountering and make things easier. Too, I like the idea of a really, really long eastern front. :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
Interesting developments. I swear last we checked in it was the level-2 major victory, so that's crazy to see.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 9: Someone Order Some Pizza?

October 15th - 18th

542 Oct 15 Research.png

I think I took too many screenshots of Grand Battle Plan and not enough of the other doctrines. I'll have to remedy that! In any event, we're plugging along here so my Army should be getting better and better. Chief reason I like to focus in this doctrine at the start is several projects can lower the attack delay, which honestly at a base of 48+ hours delay for most of my troops, this is needed.
544 Amphib Landings.png

I teased this last chapter but here is the initial landing zones for about 2/3 of my SNLF forces. We're moving in to this peninsula and hope to attract quite a bit of RoC notice (and troops).
545 Victory at Zhangye.png

At the other end of the front, we finally defeat the RoC forces at Zhangye and should be moving in soon enough.

546 Victory at Laiyuan.png

We're definitely moving more in to Nat China's territory with this victory at Laiyuan. Minor losses for Japan while China lost nearly 10% of their men.
548 Oct 16 Attack on Shilou.png

The next day on the 16th we start a push south in Shanxi territory in the Shilou province. This will help to begin isolation of the Communist Chinese capitol as well as push enemy forces further south.
549 Attacked at Laiyuan.png

Having just moved in to Laiyuan, we're pounced upon by a couple of Militia units that may have been headed there anyway for the defense.

550 Oct 17 Attack at Xining.png

On the 17th, looking to the far west we are pushing as much as we can, this time in to Xining province of Xibei San Ma. Pretty soon we'll be unable to move any further and will need to await reinforcements from the east. Looking eastward,
551 Attack at Yangyuan.png

Japanese forces elect to attack at Yangyuan instead of surrounding it and destroying them that way. Ah well, we're doing a good enough job killing enemy troops as it is.
552 Amphib Battle at Weihai.png

With a couple landings completed already, an SNLF unit with their HQ begin the assault on Weihai. You'll notice I have Marines starting to set up in Yantai so we should completely eliminate this garrison. You'll also notice we were attacking at Qingdao.
553 Attack at Qingdao.png

Three SNLF units and the other HQ is entering this city and doing pretty well at it too.

Throughout the latter half of October, six more Chinese convoys were eliminated. I'll have to go back and comb thru these reports to provide a total accounting of the war, but this seems to be the busiest my subs have been in a while.
555 Sept 17 combats.png

On land, the war is heating up as we launch further assaults on Henshui and Guangrao while winning the battle of Weihai quite handily. In fact, considering I didn't lose a single Marine at Weihai, this was a splendid battle.
558 Victory at Hengshui.png

Hengshui as well is a push over, with little to no losses on either side as the Chinese are simply wanting to vacate territory to set up their defenses in a better position.

559 Oct 18 Victory at Laiyuan.png

The 18th of September sees similar circumstances greet the Japanese at Laiyuan as we lose only three dozen troops to nearly 1500 Chinese.
560 Battle at Hengshui.png

Apparently a lone militia unit was making it's way to Hengshui for the original defense but only made it on time for their own funeral.
561 SNLF operations.png

Viewing the SNLF operations in the northeastern peninsula, we're definitely making life difficult for the RoC. With the successful landing to cut off the Weihai garrison retreat, they're now forced to stand and fight me, which we're happy to do!

October 19th - 22nd

On the 19th, we see victory (again) at Hengshui with next to no losses on the Japanese side and over 800 dead on the Chinese.
562 Victory at Hengshui.png

564 Oct 19 Research.png

Our Air doctrine is slowly growing as seen here, with a dozen projects needing to still be researched. Our light armor is gaining morale too, with the inclusion of cast armour construction improvements. I would be feeling better too, if I were stuck in one of those Japanese tanks with improved armor! Note as well that our bombers got intercepted by a lone Chinese Interceptor wing at Nantong. We're able to push past but my bombers are getting chewed up a bit - when I'm able, an Interceptor wing will relocate to one of the peninsular airports to provide better support.

566 Victory at Qingdao.png

The SNLF are proving themselves quite fearsome in battle as this time my Hero Unit begins to land at Qingdao. The Chinese garrison here flees with almost 500 dead. Granted, Marines from the left and right were attacking them for a bit prior, but I'm sure the direct invasion from sea helped escalate this flight.
567 Defense at Laiyuan.png

Another Chinese assault on Laiyuan will no doubt weaken before too long as I greatly outnumber the enemy.
568 Victory at Xining.png

Far to the west, with moderate losses on both sides, we take the province of Xining from Xibei San Ma which will herald the end of our western expansion at this time.

569 Sept 20 Victory at Yangyuan.png

On the 20th, our troops emerge victorious in the battle for Yangyuan which is no surprise as we could have surrounded this northern RoC province. In this screen shot we can see how the right half of the front is doing - the Marines will be taking the peninsula very soon whilst our push southward from Beiping is going well enough.
570 Air combat.png

The one Chinese fighter wing gets attacked by my Interceptor group and escapes very worse for wear.
571 Attack at Shimen.png

Continuing our move southward from Beiping, we head in to Shimen...and run in to a German trained light armor unit. AAARRRGHHH!
RAAAGE.jpg

572 Attack at Baotou.png

A Shanxi Partisan sneaks in to Baotou on the 21st and promptly thrashes the nearby Japanese Cavalry unit.
573 Oct 21 Loss at Baotou.png

I'm not sure how 100 men can hold off over 12000 as this isn't Sparta...In any event, just south of there we win at Shilou.
574 Victory at Shilou.png

Moderate losses on both sides but worth it as this allows my troops to keep pushing southward in an attempt to cut Shanxi off from Communist China support.
575 Victory at Weihai.png

Merely 4 days since the attack at Weihai and forcing the garrison there to initially cut and run, we finally pin them down and eliminate the entire 8500 man division. With the capture of both ports and airports in this area here, we'll be improving logistics in this region greatly.

The next day of the 22nd we have yet another victory at Hengshui.
577 Oct 22 Victory at Hengshui.png

Minor losses for Japan to an overwhelming amount suffered by the Chinese. Next door (nearly) our earlier bombing efforts apparently didn't do much as we seem to be attacking fresh troops at Nangong.
578 Attack on Nangong.png

Considering we have twice the number of brigades, this may yet be a fierce battle.
579 Attack on Wu'an.png

The Iron division (10th Div) attacks the 3rd RoC Army HQ at Wu'an who sustains nearly 50% casualties before fleeing.
581 Victory at Wu'an.png

We lose none!

October 23rd - 26th

The 23rd sees yet another Chinese attack on Laiyuan fade to nothing with many losses on their side.
582 Oct 23 Victory at Laiyuan.png

587 Enemy Bombing.png

Minister Koshiro informs me that Chinese bombers have bombed us in Sasebo, obliterating our Metal mines in the province. Something will need to be done about this! *
588 Victory at Longkou.png

Over on the Chinese peninsula our Marines are doing well with a victory at Longkou. Light losses on both sides and even though the enemy had a 2:1 superiority in manpower, we were able to push them out.

589 Oct 24 Research.png

As the calendar changes to the 24th, we gain our Specialist Training back for all the branches, improving Unity, Supply Consumption, and Reinforcements. That +10% for the Army will be greatly needed! Again, this screenshot reminds me I need to take a longer peek at each section for you guys. :) Not everything here has some research going on - I try to not choose too many projects in order to stay close to the amount of RPs I can provide. For example, here you see I have 45 projects going and I'm supplying that amount of points.
590 Attack on Hengshui.png

Again, the Chinese attack me at Hengshui - I do promise that not all attacks are recorded here, as the AI will continually attack a province with several in a day even. This is just here to demonstrate how determined the Chinese seem to be in retaking their territory.

591 Attack on Shanyincheng.png

As we've won at Laiyuan yesterday, it's time to push in to Shanyincheng next door in order to remove an adjacent province that can be attacked from. Four divisions and two strong HQs push against what is later determined to be an exhausted Chinese defense.
592 Victory at Hengshui.png

The attack on Hengshui amounts to nothing more than further losses on the Chinese side. There are a couple more spoiling attacks by the Chinese I didn't record but all ended with no losses for the Japanese and merely a dozen or more Chinese.

593 Oct 25 Chihli Gulf result.png

This event on the 25th is the result of controlling enough provinces surrounding the Gulf of Chihli, providing Japan with extra efficiency in Research and greater Supply Throughput. I suppose it's due to all the ports in the area being controlled by Japan? There's a similar Taiwainese Strait event that we'll see next year.
595 Attack on Wu'an.png

It looks like another one of those damnable German-trained units made it in to Wu'an before the 10th Infantry Division could, so we'll attack them. And crush them! (hopefully)

598 Oct 26 Victory at Nangong.png

The next morning on the 26th we finally gain victory at Nangong and like I said before, it was a fierce battle. With 10% casualties on the Chinese side, my forces did well with only losing under 1300 men even considering some of my force attacked across the river there.
599 Victory at Shanyincheng.png

We also do well in Shanyincheng province, the northernmost held territory of Shanxi. However, we don't get to control the area just yet as a Cavalry unit jumps in just in time.
603 Attack on Shanyincheng 2.png

600 Oct 26 SCW.png

Not much has changed in Spain with the Civil War still ongoing but that's more due to the early snow in the mountains impeding combat operations.

601 Chinese Conflict.png

Taking a similar bird's eye look over China, we can see how stretched out Japan is from west to east. The SNLF landings in the far east will eventually link up with the main battle lines and from there we'll push southward along that N-S river toward Shanghai. Shanxi and Communist China in the middle are hopefully going to be conquered soon with Xibei San Ma to the west following up early next year (Spring possibly). I like to hit the West-East river that's not far south of my lines and utilize that as a defensive border in the Winter but with my late start to the conflict this time, it will be difficult to reach there in the next month.
604 Victory at Wu'an.png

On the evening of the 26th we succeed in our attack on Wu'an with light losses on both sides, driving this chapter to a close. I'll have the final days of October in the next chapter coming soon!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Good job in China. Love the coastal landings.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You're making good progress against China, and I think the landing around Qingdao was a huge help! It's interesting to see just how strong the Chinese are against you, but it's also good to see they're not pushovers like in vanilla.

You've also done a good job explaining BICE without getting bogged down in details, so thanks for that!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 9a: October Wanes

October 27th - 29th

The next morning (27th of October) this Shanxi Partisan has been causing issues for me in formerly controlled territory.
605 Oct 27 Shanxi Partisan.png

I dispatched that Light Infantry northward to eliminate it once and for all as my Cav unit cannot seem to do so.
606 Attack on Tums Zuoqi.png

And...I don't know why the Cav unit had such a hard time - this Partisan is very exhausted and has lost over a quarter of their strength. Should be a push-over for the Dai-14!
607 Sasebo Bombing 2.png

Again, Chinese bombers are seen over Japan, causing great consternation among the War Ministry. As such, I gather a recuperating wing of fighter-bombers and set them to defending the area.
610 Enough Sasebo bombing.png

Sure enough, they run in to the Chinese and begin a turkey shoot! I think this will be the last we'll see from the bombers for a while. *Narrator's Voice: It would not be the last we would see of them.*

608 Battle at Xinzhou.png

Our mobile units attack at Xinzhou which looks to be a long battle ahead. Hopefully I'll get reinforcements over soon. Finally, with attacks happening to it's escape route, the 16th Division is tasked to take on the important victory location of Baoding.
609 Attack on Baoding VP.png

Note: I set VP provinces with a puppet target to remind myself where the important VPs are at as well to help direct the puppets where to attack, hence the Manchuko flag seen on the province. Considering this area is held by tired Militia and their escape path may soon be cut off, I imagine this battle won't go long.

611 Oct 27 SNLF attack at Longkou.png

Looking eastward, my Marines are being attacked at the recently captured province of Longkou. It's only a Militia unit so I can't imagine this lasting long.
612 SNLF attack at Rizhao.png

Nearby, my hero unit and accompanying SNLF forces attack westward to Rizhao, getting ever closer to the main front. You'll see the Guangrao attack a bit north is at 56% - I really need to push westward with my Marines to help link up in the fighting there.

On the 28th, with all of my forces in Lvliang embroiled in the combat to the south, a mixed force of different Chinese nations attacks me.
613 Oct 28 Defense of Lvliang.png

I'll need to pull out a couple of the more exhausted Cav units involved but we should handle this new battle handily.
614 Victory at Baoding.png

Oh, a day later and we win at Baoding as expected. It looks like the forces pinned here didn't want to get cut off and eliminated so they retreated quickly to the south.
615 Oct 28 Production.png

Our production queue is looking better now with the Zuiho seeing workers again. While I had high hopes to finish this important light carrier this year, all of the difficulties earlier delayed completion by a couple months. Again, it's not vital to have the carrier *NOW* but getting it sooner than later is ideal.

Our defense at Suide is still ongoing
616 Attack on Suide.png

with my units holding firm and the Chinese forces getting tired out.
617 Victory at Shanyincheng.png

It took a couple days but we finally win at Shanyincheng...and I hope to not have to type that name out any further. Minimal losses on my end with over half of the Chinese Cav unit destroyed. Overall manpower losses by the Chinese seem quite high this month and next chapter we'll learn by how much.

The next day on the 29th we are finally able to kick out the Shanxi Partisan at Hohhot.
619 Victory at Hohhot.png

You'll note my Cav unit has circled around and captured a couple territories, negating several of the escape routes available. Looks like we'll be engaging them at Guyang!
620 Attack on Yexian.png

With our Marines having won the battle at Longkou, suffering minimal losses, they push westward in to Yexian as we need to reach the main battle lines quickly. We also get attacked at Shuoxian but handle it quickly.
621 Defense of Shuoxian.png

October 30th - 31st

The morning of the 30th dawns with my SNLF winning at Yexian, having lost a couple dozen men.
622 Oct 30 Victory at Yexian.png

The Chinese losses are minor as well as they retreat to the south-west in an effort to try and escape this future cauldron. This busy day also sees the 14th "Shining" Division push westward toward the river at Linqing and engage the Chinese conscripts there.
623 Attack on Linqing.png

We also move against Liaocheng nearby with three Manchuko Expeditionary Cav forces
624 Attack on Liaocheng.png

all in an effort to push toward the major river in the south.

626 Victory at Lvliang.png

Our units at Lvliang shrug off the spoiling efforts of the Chinese and continue the battle to the south. At 58% it'll be ongoing for a while longer, it seems.
628 Oct 30 Production.png

Our Production queue is looking much better now with many more naval units back on the work log. Upgrades are still greatly needed - a side effect to all the new research that has been gained since August but our Supplies are under control with just over 44k in storage. A quick check on trades sees we're all in the green (positive incoming) for resources so we have the correct number of Metal and Rares trades going. Fuel and Oil is doing well too and the multiple oil rigs I'm building will help with that as well. I do regret building the coalfield as it's really not needed, but considering how quickly it was built I suppose it's fine. Besides, I can trade the surplus Energy to my puppets.

629 Attack by Shanxi Partisan.png

The story of the Shanxi Partisan is coming to a close but not before they try to fight their way out at Guyang. My weakened Cav unit got there first and now it's just a race to the bottom...who will win?
630 Attack on Shanxi Partisan.png

The Dai-14 division attacks from the rear again, all in hopes to defeat the Partisan before my Cav unit folds. And...
632 Partisan dies.png

WE WIN! Well, according to the losses it wasn't a close-run thing after all, but that was a very distracting revolt up north.

633 Nangong Defense.png

In the afternoon of the 30th, my troops were attacked at the recently captured province of Nangong (in the lower right corner of the picture) but we easily fended off the weak attempt.
634 Victory at Rizhao.png

Not weakly attacking are my SNLF forces at Rizhao as we push westward further there. Next week I hope to be linked with my main battle line and from there we can push all along the front, southward to the main river. On the final day of the month, we see a successful completion of the battle of Suide.
637 Oct 31 Victory at Suide.png

Great losses on both sides and considering I was outnumbered nearly 2;1 here, I'm fortunate to have won. Looking east, that battle is looking better for Japan at 60% so hopefully finishing up next week.

This month feels like the bloodiest so far of the conflict but that may be due to me forgetting how many were lost at Beiping and Tianjin. Still, we're moving steadily southward and westward with the Marines proving their worth time and again. I just need reinforcements from the mainland to help my overall push. I hope everyone reading is enjoying this AAR so far and if anyone has questions or comments, please reply, thank you!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Good job in China. Love the coastal landings.
Thank you! Japan gets so many SNLF units it's a crime not to use them in this conflict properly. Here they'll be used to push southward eventually to link up with the Shanhai Sector and then rest and refit to prepare for another group of coastal landings.
You're making good progress against China, and I think the landing around Qingdao was a huge help! It's interesting to see just how strong the Chinese are against you, but it's also good to see they're not pushovers like in vanilla.

You've also done a good job explaining BICE without getting bogged down in details, so thanks for that!
Thank you and I appreciate you following this AAR! I did select a Hard China and based on how well I feel I'm doing here I could've gone another difficulty level higher with them, possibly. My goal isn't to recreate the actual conflict as that would be boring but neither do I want a push-over. My troops need experience, after all - which reminds me, once this conflict is done I'll need to do a post-partum follow up. Detail experience gained by units and leaders, total losses suffered in the conflict, etc.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I stopped getting notifications for this and now I've finally caught up.

Great job on the classic Shandong peninsula invasion.

Those are some tough partisans to chase off a much larger cavalry unit.

Interesting to see you're actually running an Energy surplus without trade, and in spite of the amount of Industry you've been building. The resource situation clearly is a lot more malleable than in vanilla.

Loving the tech overload... Japan having 45 research points to invest in R&D is a big jump from Vanilla, but then again it looks like Black Ice more than doubled the number of techs. I am wondering how much of this results in real choices or whether there is very much an optimum research strategy and the rest is there more for flavour than anything else.

• 3Like
Reactions: