Czech Official Localization by ParadoxInteractive?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Czech,Čeština,EU4,CK3,VIC3,HOI4,CK2,VIC2,Europa Universalis 4 Čestina,Crusader Kings 3 Čestina,Hearts of Iron 4 Čestina,Victoria 3 Čestina

TrojskyKun

Recruit
Jan 17, 2024
Hello everyone

I wanted to start a discussion and ask whether there's any chance that Paradox will ever add an official language like Czech to their games. While it's true that the Czech market may be small in comparison, there are many players who really need the game to be translated. I believe that adding Czech localization could help expand the community and make the games more accessible to new players, as well as those who may not have a strong command of English.

I've explored various alternatives such as fan-made Czech translations, but unfortunately, most of them have encountered significant issues. Some have been plagued by huge drama within the community, while others have requested donations to sustain the translation efforts. Additionally, even when the game was fully translated by fans, there are often grammatical and textual issues that detract from the overall experience. It's important to have accurate and well-crafted translations that do justice to the original content and provide an enjoyable gaming experience for Czech-speaking players.

Plus, I am not even talking about A.I. translators that are mostly used by fan-made Czech translations to create Czech translations for Paradox games. Such A.I.s are basic, with zero game knowledge, so it's hard for A.I. to know what is what without context and game knowledge.

- most of my friends don't know English very well but are eager to play it. They're even trying to learn English themselves to better understand the game.
But if Paradox Interactive were to make this generous dream a reality, it would be truly mind-blowing for all players who want to play these games in their native language.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is basically a business decision: Will investing in a translation open up a new market that would be left untapped otherwise big enough to generate more revenue than what the translation costs?

In case of Czech the answer to that question is unfortunately most likely: No.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
This is basically a buisness decision: Will investing in a translation open up a new market that would be left untapped otherwise big enough to generate more revenue than what the translation costs?

In case of Czech the answer to that question is unfortunately most likely: No.
Hi, elektrizikekswerk
I totally get where you're coming from. It does seem like a business decision at the end of the day. But you know, sometimes it's not just about the numbers. Imagine how awesome it would be for Czech-speaking players to enjoy these games in their own language.

It's more about making gaming accessible and enjoyable for everyone, you know? Sure, the market might not be massive, but the impact on those who do get to play in Czech language could be huge. It's about creating that connection and making gaming a more inclusive experience for everyone. So, while it might not seem like a no-brainer from a business standpoint, it could mean the world to those who've been waiting for it.

+ Czech language can be easily understood by Slovak speakers, as Slovakia is the neighboring country of the Czech Republic. So, Czech langauge it's not limited to just one country.

• 1Like
Reactions:
But that's the thing, it is about numbers. If Paradox does not think that they can make more in additional sales than it takes to both make and maintain a localization for a language they will not do it.

ev 3-21-24.PNG

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Imagine how awesome it would be for Czech-speaking players to enjoy these games in their own language. It's more about making gaming accessible and enjoyable for everyone, you know? Sure, the market might not be massive, but the impact on those who do get to play in Czech language could be huge. It's about creating that connection and making gaming a more inclusive experience for everyone. So, while it might not seem like a no-brainer from a business standpoint, it could mean the world to those who've been waiting for it.
The same could be said for dozens of other languages; but Paradox can't cover them all - why would they pick out Czech in particular from all those?

They of course get similar requests from all over the world all the time. I've seen them for Danish, Thai, Arabic and many other languages.

Each language added is extra support and release costs for the life of the game, so it has to be very carefully thought out for each new game. For instance none of the PDS games included Turkish, until Victoria 3 due to the obvious interest from that country in that period of history, plus a large population. The company is Swedish but they don't even provide that language in any current game!

New languages are never added to existing games, as that can never pay. But each language is considered for every new game on its own merits.

I know it is not what you want to hear, but economic reality is as it is. Sorry!