• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Pretty sure both of these have been answered, but still:

1) Can I change the capital of a realm if it doesn't suit you or do you just shunt it over to a vassal instead? The issue in question has been Valencia which has a city as its capital, meaning my king isn't very good for handling it.

2) Do vassals become angry on you if you use their levies for a crusade?

I married one of my Daughter's to King of Galicia. Galicia has been overrun by the Moors, and now they all have retreated to my court, King died. Most people assuming from his court have become 'Coutiers' in my court and I can see that some of the people have 'claims' on former territory.

1. What is a Courtier?
2. Should I award land to one of these courtier's which has claims on land in Galicia. This is in the hope that I can some how gain land myself.

Another problem I am having is: 'Vassal inheritance warning'

1. What is happening, I get the idea it will no longer be in my realm and I won't be able to earn taxes from it. How come?

Also, must I find wifes for other courtiers in my court presumably? What do they do?

Thanks.

Hi, my heir died when he was 28, and my new heir is my grandson. But i have 3 other sons with ages of 20s. Why isn't one of them my heir?

Hi, my heir died when he was 28, and my new heir is my grandson. But i have 3 other sons with ages of 20s. Why isn't one of them my heir?
Primogeniture, I presume?
In that case, your firstborn son is your valid heir. His son (your grandson) is your firstborns valid heir, so he inherits, if your son dies.
It doesn't matter if your son dies before or after inheriting the crown himself. The family branch of your firstborn is in line before the family branch of your secondborn.

1. No, you can still create it as titular, and it can regain de jure lands.
2. No, as far as I know, once a kingdom is part of an empire, it will only ever drift to a different empire, never become independent.

Thanks. Re #1, what will the scripted capital be then, the last capital that ever was or the starting capital from the start of your game?

Primogeniture, I presume?
In that case, your firstborn son is your valid heir. His son (your grandson) is your firstborns valid heir, so he inherits, if your son dies.
It doesn't matter if your son dies before or after inheriting the crown himself. The family branch of your firstborn is in line before the family branch of your secondborn.
Yes, primogeniture it is. Thanks for answer, fortunately my grandson reached to 15 and i am not dead yet (age 74).

Hey everyone. First game so, I'm going to question spam. Sorry.:blush:

1. How do I know what type of a holder a person is? I'm trying to award a county to a courtier because I'm the wrong holder type (the county in question is a city, but I'm not a burgher), but the people I want to give it to still have the "wrong government type" message. Is there a quick way to know if someone is a burgher or not?
2. When can I send my children off to be educated?
3. When arranging a marriage for someone other than myself is there a way to tell if it is a good match (i.e. a mutual opinion meter for the couple as opposed to the one for me)? Does it even matter if the marriage is a happy one?
4. I'm playing as Munster. Is there anyway for me to form the Kingdom of Ireland or will I forever be a Duke? Where would that decision be located?

Thanks everyone! :happy:

Hey everyone. First game so, I'm going to question spam. Sorry.:blush:

1. How do I know what type of a holder a person is? I'm trying to award a county to a courtier because I'm the wrong holder type (the county in question is a city, but I'm not a burgher), but the people I want to give it to still have the "wrong government type" message. Is there a quick way to know if someone is a burgher or not?
2. When can I send my children off to be educated?
3. When arranging a marriage for someone other than myself is there a way to tell if it is a good match (i.e. a mutual opinion meter for the couple as opposed to the one for me)? Does it even matter if the marriage is a happy one?
4. I'm playing as Munster. Is there anyway for me to form the Kingdom of Ireland or will I forever be a Duke? Where would that decision be located?

Thanks everyone! :happy:

1. I would give that land to the owner of a castle type holding in it. They would make it capital, and then the county would become normal, I think.
2. Best option is to educate them yourself, no matter how bad are your traits. You will get to choose which traits your children get during the education process.

To expand on that idea, I would also suggest educating your strongest vassal's children. You don't want them to be ambitious, because they would do anything to move up the hierarchical food chain.

3. Doesn't matter if the marriage is happy (it will become happy as time goes by). If I were you, I would choose a wife with stats you need, like high diplomacy if your character diplomacy is low. But high stewardship is probably the best for big kingdoms.
4. You will be able to become a king of Ireland when you get enough of Ireland's land. You should either see an alert "titles can be created" or simply click on some county in Ireland. On county info sheet there's also information to which de jure duchy it belongs, and which de jure kingdom. If you click on a kingdom icon you should see the conditions of title creation if you hover the cursor above the "create" button.

Hey, just wanted to share for future askers, since I found the best answer to the question. If you go to laws, there are the different shields. Click on the HRE shield, and it will show the first, second, and third contenders, along with how many votes and who supports them.
It was very useful. Through bribery, intimidation, and a string of assassinations I am now the Kaiser of the Holy Roman Empire. =D

About voting, I had a couple of questions:
1/as King of France (primogeniture succession), I control the Duchy of Orleans, who turns out to have elective succession. When I was vassal of the HRE the Kaiser could vote for the next duke of elective duchies, but I can't vote for the next duke of Orleans. Why?
2/Carinthia (which also belongs to my kingdom) also has elective succession. I still can't vote for the next duke. However, the King of Naple did vote for him, whereas he's not in my Kingdom at all, but a vassal of the HRE (who now has primogeniture). How can some random non-independent foreigner king vote for MY dukes whereas I, ruler of the duke, can't? Or is there something I missed?

1. What determines the the future vassal's relation (ratio) with the my successor? Sons have bad qualities, I wanted to choose someone else. When you choose a daughter - the relationship at the level of -50 to 100th . Cousins ​​or not better.
2. "It's much principalities / duchies" - translate from polish, sorry. What it mind? My domain is not up to much.

2. "It's much principalities / duchies" - translate from polish, sorry. What it mind? My domain is not up to much.

"Too many held duchies" in english :) As a king, you cannot hold more than two duchies. all the others must go to vassals. If you own more than two ducal titles, you get a -10 malus with your vassal for every ducal title above 2, no matter what your demesne size is.

In the Realm View (for example, when clicking on a county, then navigating to the liege kingdom/duchy by clicking in the upper right hand corner), the vassal duchies/counties of a kingdom/duchy are sometimes colored green (the others white). What does this indicate?

Is it more efficient, in the long run, to build castle villages or upgrade towns?

I upgrade to castle town + low stone wall + archery range (produces the most troops for your cash) before I start upgrading towns. Also a very early priority (basically after you have the first castle village built) is to put a cathedral school in your capital, and arguably everywhere. This provides a good tech boost very cheaply. Then put lvl 2 ports and courts in your towns then start saving up to build new towns in your empty slots.

I also try to keep my capital completely upgraded but that is just RP rather than anything else.

Last edited:
About voting, I had a couple of questions:
1/as King of France (primogeniture succession), I control the Duchy of Orleans, who turns out to have elective succession. When I was vassal of the HRE the Kaiser could vote for the next duke of elective duchies, but I can't vote for the next duke of Orleans. Why?
2/Carinthia (which also belongs to my kingdom) also has elective succession. I still can't vote for the next duke. However, the King of Naple did vote for him, whereas he's not in my Kingdom at all, but a vassal of the HRE (who now has primogeniture). How can some random non-independent foreigner king vote for MY dukes whereas I, ruler of the duke, can't? Or is there something I missed?

Strange situations:

The general rule for elections is that the de jure vassals of the level below and the title holder can vote for the succesor. So for duchies its counts, kings its dukes and empires its kings and dukes. The people eligble for election are the electors themselves and the siblings and children of the title holder.

You shouldn't be able to vote for a new duke just because you are their liege (de jure or not). You would only be able to vote if you held a county in the de jure duchy. I can only asume that both the HRE and the King of Naples did.

As a general rule elective is very confusing below the kingdom level and to be avoided.

Can anyone tell me how can I make a custom kingdom independent (custom meaning I created it inside the landed_titles.txt file) ?
Because so far I managed to create Greece but was not able to make the country independent, but only a De Jure kingdom of the Byzantine Empire.

Thank you in advance