• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
George said he doesn't like derivative works, but won't actively work against them.
He's the copyright holder, so, no, no C&D any time soon.

No, he's not; Random House is (through Bantam). Or, even if he is, Random House via Bantam has the right to stop people from making derivative works. Also, various entities have trademarks on Game of Thrones videogames, which AGOT violates.

I think the AGOT creators a good fair use defense, but only if Paradox keeps well away from them.

The other problem is that a fair use defense is an affirmative defense, which would be relatively risky and expensive to maintain in court.

What's wrong with real life similarities? I think this low magic , realistic , dark fantasy setting is awesome. I've been hooked up by this type of fantasy since reading Glen Cook's The Black Company series.

He is alluding to them...but he is not exactly copying the story line. After all neither Lannister or Stark have a legit claim to the Iron Throne itself and before the conquest had their own kingdoms

And last time I took a look at dark ages history... William the Conqueror didn't have dragons, albinism, and didn't come from Roma-Atlantis.

I remember reading one interview with GRRM... where he stated that yes, the main conflict of ASOIAF is almost a carboncopy of the war of roses, but reflecting that conflct onto a fantasy word, wold give him more artistic liberty than writing historical fiction and having to stick to certain things.

Last edited:
To me whole Westeros is a twisted hybrid of England and Japan mixed up together.

Personally I tend to see it more as a hybrid of England, the British Isles and the rest of feudal Europe. For instance the Reach could be France, the Eyrie Austria, Dorne the Iberian Peninsula, the Iron Isles Scandinavia etc.