• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SchwarzKatze

Field Marshal
45 Badges
Nov 8, 2008
I found that as the King of Abyssinia in the Iron Century start, I can holy war the Shirazids, whom I do not border either by land or by sea, for the Duchy of Afar:
Holy War 1.png

The reason seems to be that the holy war CB only checks if you border the de jure target duchy, not if you border the recipient, so since my realm borders the de jure duchy of Afar, I'm able to holy war anyone for it, regardless of whether out realms share a border or not.
Holy War 2.png

AFAIK, the holy war CB hasn't been changed recently, so does anyone know if this is the intended behavior, or an age-old bug that hasn't been fixed?

AFAIK, the holy war CB hasn't been changed recently, so does anyone know if this is the intended behavior, or an age-old bug that hasn't been fixed?

I'm pretty sure this is WAD. At least, it's very convenient when multiple heathen realms own different parts of the same duchy - you can go to war with them all at once, rather than one at a time.

(Also bear in mind that, if they all follow the same religion, they will tend to join each others' defensive holy wars, so you'll be fighting them all simultaneously in every one of those wars.)