• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok, let´s finalise the report on brigades. Here is a list of the new land brigade set-up (obviously only those that are changed from vanilla are listed):

artillery ... heavy artillery regiment
b_u4 ... Towed artillery
b_u5 ... very heavy artillery (203/210/240/280/305mm)
b_u6 ... light artillery
b_u7 ... infantry regiment
b_u8 ... cavalry regiment
b_u9 ... construction engineers
b_u10 .. assault gun battallion
b_u11 ... heavy tank destroyer battalion
engineer ... assault engineers
sp_rct_artillery ... infantry tanks

So, as you can see, we now have plenty of brigades to play around with.

Obviously light artillery will attach to mountaineers and marines, who will not be able to lug around the heavier stuff.
Infantry brigades give us the ability to model square divisions.
Assault engineers and construction engineers are now different units giving different benefits.
Assault guns and infantry tanks are now separate models.

And so on...

... and the question worth 1 million dollars is: will the AI know how to properly use them? If yes I'm a very very happy shrimp ;)

P.S. In case you need another low feedback/low on time alfa tester I'm all eager to participate but I guess you already have plenty of such "scum"... :D

We are saving you for the open Beta here on the Paradox forum, Hister ....:)

Well this is excellent. If I get it correctly, the 6bn/9bn divisions are still there and the infantry regiment is intended to model particularly large divisions such as japanese ones right?

Yes, exactly.

Damn, you (Tegetthoff) and Titan got me fired to play AoD Core again. I'm back with the Japanese trying to win over China in time in order to be able to sport a timely attack on the allies in 1941.

Damn, you (Tegetthoff) and Titan got me fired to play AoD Core again. I'm back with the Japanese trying to win over China in time in order to be able to sport a timely attack on the allies in 1941.

Hi Hister,

If you ever clean out your pm Inbox, I might have a little present for you.

T.

Oh boy, oh boy (clapping with his hands like a 6 years old boy)! My inbox empty - waiting for the present impatiently - it's my birthday soon so anything in my inbox from you will be timed greatly!

Damn, you (Tegetthoff) and Titan got me fired to play AoD Core again.
Well, so now the only real thing left for you to do is that Japanese AAR we are all so eagerly awaiting :happy:

He he, I got the point some time ago - no need to repeat it really!
Indeed it is - given also the latest e-mails: repetita juvant ;)

Interesting...
I do hope the AI is able to cope though.

Will light arty by marine/mountain only?
So towed will be able to be attached to motorized and maybe tank divisions I take it?

Dec is responsible for unit design, so I can only try an answer:

Here are the permitted brigades for paratroopers:

allowed_brigades = anti_tank
allowed_brigades = armored_car
allowed_brigades = engineer # Pioneer
allowed_brigades = b_u7 # Infantry
allowed_brigades = b_u8 # Cavalry

You have to remember that the unit stats represent some organic artillery. It is just an extra artillery regiment that is not permitted.

Erm, how can horses be thrown out of planes? :rolleyes:
I do recall a movie where they threw an elephant out of a plane, so I see no reasons why the same method can't be applied to horses... :rolleyes:

It is very easy to throw a horse out of a plane. It is somewhat harder to put it to military use afterwards ...

Another dev diary.

The basic work is drawing to a close. Yesterday night I integrated the latest set of work from Dec, which now includes all ai files for the new tech set-up except ENG.
We also got a re-work of the unit stats for ships and air units. What many, including me, have been hoping for: this includes an extension of ranges for these units, to conform with the different rules of AoD. I have not looked through all of them, but what I saw made me happy.
Dec has also extended our nation specific unit icons. We go for the more restrained shilouette drawings rather than the more fancy pics you see in Tripartite and SKIF, but now we have nation specific GER, JAP, USA, FRA and VIC plus some ENG and SOV icons.
Talking of Tripartite, we have included a couple more interface elements from the mod, with Titan´s permission and have reworked two or three to suit our taste.
I have been busy reworking the Pacific AIs. This is a step by step process, and as soon as you have made the US smarter you need to make the Japanese smarter, as well. The best I can say is that you now see some Pacific war in hands-off games rather than none at all previously.
We also have fixed the vanilla surrender event to a degree where any further steps require a basic rewrite, which will have to wait for 0.61.

So the big question is: how far are we from a public Beta? My hunch is: we are pretty close.

0.60.11, which will come out internally on the weekend, will be pretty close to a Beta. I think we need to wait for the finalisation of Dec´s big rewrite of the research ai, which may be a week or two. I will probably move the Pacific AI ahead during that time and at some point I may get a chance to rewrite the Yugoslavian Pact of Steel issue, which is one of the main reasons holding up the historical Barbarossa invasion date in CORE.

What we cannot wait for is a complete graphics rework for the new tech tree and unit structure, since this is an immense amount of work and Hagar has many other responsibilities.

What is open is an extensive rewrite of the province.csv with reviewed resource distribution. Historyman can report on this better than me, this may or may not be in the open Beta.

When will you get the Open Beta? .... When it´s ready, obviously. :rolleyes:

T.