• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi,

Next question:

Mod-dir functionality: AoD came a lone way here (but not quite the full way) from ARM, at least in 1.07. By now almost all graphics files are read from mod-dir without a corresponding dummy "upstairs" in the vanilla directory. The last remaining problem in AoD is unit icons, which are not read for some reason. But tech pics, TT pics, leader pics, .... all of them are now taken straight from mod-dire regardless of a copy of the same name existing in the vanilla structure.

How is this handled in DH?

Best Regards

Teg

DH does support moddir and I am very satisfied with it. Martin fixed a bunch of bugs so that you don't have to use weird work arounds like on HOI3 (certain graphics won't load, and so on).
Here, you just put in Mods folder the stuff you want to change and you select your mod in the launcher.
There is no problem at all with unit icons.

Last edited:
Question: Will CORE one day move also to DH?

looks like I initiated at least a communication between the DH and CORE-team with my question.

Well, you probably at least sold one copy of DH for them, since I am going to buy it and fool around a bit with it once 0.60 is done (check whether mod-dir really works for a change).

Teg

The mod-dir works well but it lacks meny key features of AOD so it whud be like going back to 0.41 and taking some elements of 0.6(ship building) to add to that to make a working version. But it whud be much easyer than the aod version especialy whit ger vs sov as no Scorched Earth.

And no i dont own a personal copy of DH but i have played it on my brothers comp who owns a copy of the game.

Althou i am not in favor of core moving to DH i do think there is 1 part that is beter than aod and that is the moddability of sliders(politics). And althou i have not nor has my brother played DH in the last hmm 3-5 Moths so some of what i know about it mayby obsolite.

But what DH lacks in my oppinion is the following.
The real money from consumer goods and the spending of it like in AOD.
Synt plants witch is minor ishue for CORE.
Suplies for units and the effect of total infra route to the target.
Advanced slider controll for production (player conveniance only dosent afffect ai)
Victory or Valhalla and Scorched Earth unit commands
Unit retooling costs for starting/upgrading production que's
Country specific National Ideas
Real Spy system from AOD, DH used the last armageddon patch spy system witch speeds up the game but is not very realistic

What does have to its advantage
You only need 1 game dir rest go to mod dir unlike in AOD where i have several game dirs
Modding the politics Sliders

Well here's what i came up on remenbering when i played it last it whos whit 10.2 version of the game or a beta of 1.02 cant remenber witch. Might be some new features in 1.03 wich they are working on.

But by all means go and take a look at it Teg but please come back as well :)

With all due respect, you don't seem to know much about Darkest Hour.. Then I wonder why so many players bought (much more than AOD..) and play it if it was only for "modding policy sliders" or "cosmetics", as I often read on AOD sub-forum.
You should really actually play and learn a game before posting such negative comments.

But what DH lacks in my oppinion is the following.
The real money from consumer goods and the spending of it like in AOD.
Synt plants witch is minor ishue for CORE.
Suplies for units and the effect of total infra route to the target.
Advanced slider controll for production (player conveniance only dosent afffect ai)
Victory or Valhalla and Scorched Earth unit commands
Unit retooling costs for starting/upgrading production que's
Country specific National Ideas
Real Spy system from AOD, DH used the last armageddon patch spy system witch speeds up the game but is not very realistic

Without judging, I just post a few ideas from the CORE perspective.

Real money from consumer goods: we have been thinking about switching if off completely, because it does not work well with the CORE mobilisation system. But switching it off completely blows the economy, so we have left it on at half speed.
Synth plants: we have activated them, but they need quite some love and work to really work. Again, we have written the very extensive synth plant events in CORE and are sort of reluctant to let them go.
Supplies: I´d really have to look how this works in DH
Believe it or not I have never fully understood how to operate Advanced Sliders (maybe because I mod and do not play).
Scorched Earth has caused us a lot of problems, but we now have it under control. I would not see losing it as a huge disadvantage.
Retooling: is a nice feature, we would have to see where the trade-offs are
National Ideas: I have spent quite a bit of work there and they helped us a lot with further classifying the Fully Industrialised/Semi-Industrialised/ .... classification of CORE. OTH, the work on NI is not nearly done.
Spy System: doesn´t really work well in AoD, didn´t really work well in HOI2 ARM, probably doesn´t really work well in DH, so not the decisive issue.

In vanilla we have an ersatz conversion persistent decision which enables to trade energy for rares. Very similar to your events I think.
As for national ideas, we never liked the concept and use unique minister modifiers instead (fully moddable, you can create new traits).

Conceptually, the National Ideas idea is a knockout. But as many AoD posters have pointed out, the real world analogue is largely intuitive and the notion that one can be changed into another in the timeframe permitted by the game is very suspect. The big positives it delivers are an extra dimension of differentiation at game start and an extra variable that the player can engage through long term planning. I doubt that those can be adequately replicated by minister effects alone, but again, given DH's modability, it might be possible to feed in other features to get an overall similar outcome.

On advanced sliders: The green arrow is the minimun ammount of ic allocated no mather what and red arrow is the maxium no mather what.

A Red arrow example if u have lots of money(china,uk,usa(i think)) u can set it so that u produce a defacit of consumer goods thereby draining the ammount of money you produce and u can go to negative ammount of money produced as well. Same aplies for suplies if u have lot in reserve no need to produce more just spend what u got. For example if u got 20k of money just set it for 0% for a month or so boost your reinforcement and suplies. Or CCneed% -5% for long tearm plan.

An Example on the green arrow whud be to set it about 5-20% for province repair witch i do atlest.

What commands are there to set maxium for ai to use on specific reserv levels of money/suplies i at the moment dont know. Propably shud ask the developers, or look in the files now shure witch is faster.

@Torres Feel free to correct me about what i whos wrong then. But the short version of my history is that i played it and AOD and liked AOD more, on that another usefull feature in DH for players is the leaders update whit a combobox where to select a apribute for filtering leaders but AOD got similar but less powerful version. And no i dont know why people buyed DH more than AOD but from what i read in DH forums and what i read AOD forums i get the impression that AOD buyers are more happyer whit their purchase.

I think both games give excellent play value, it's just that their strengths are in different areas. I think AoD offers several 'nuance' effects (like Real Money, Retooling, and - dare I say it - the Combat system) that edge gameplay into patterns that are very different from those you get in DD/Arma. Alternatively, DH refines rather than shifts the basic features so that you get an enhanced but more familiar gamestyle and then drops some entirely new features (like the Decision system) onto it to introduce a new dimension of strategic planning.

It's only when you get to be familiar with each that you can really 'feel' the benefits they deliver.

Just to keep you updated:
We have distributed 0.60.21 internally, if there are no problems with this release this will be Beta 4.

Will be in the mail that contains the download ... :p