• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SwedeVictory

Private
18 Badges
Apr 1, 2024
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Hello, I'm receiving the below error and the game won't launch. I tried the fix on the thread "Still not able to start the game on MacBook." That did not help - still receiving the same error. Is there a fix to this?

I also read something about older Macs with Intel chips not being able to run the game anymore. Is that the final word on this? There's not going to be any future fix? I would need to purchase a new computer that can run the game, or use Apple Bootcamp to play through Windows?

Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 10.28.51 AM.png

Seems like this must be an issue with Paradox Launcher as I can launch the game from ck3.app.
You can? Because before you said
I can't run ck3.app direct from finder but I was able to get in via Steam, right click, browse local files, binaries, and open the app from there. When it opens it says "Initializing Game..." in the upper left and I get a game-stylized hourglass. Nothing happens after that. I have to force quit.
So at some point in this process that issue got fixed, and ck3.app from Finder works fine now? Sorry if I missed that somehow.

Are there any more launcher logs in ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/ now?

Yes, that I mentioned in my post on April 7 (see quote below), but no worries, it was buried in that message and I am sure you are busy helping a million people!

I did try going back into the ck3.app and for some reason the game did open now from there rather than just getting a black screen that says Initializing Game... in the upper left corner. I was able to start a new game and save it. However when I try to go back into the game from Steam's Paradox Launcher (either Resume or Play), I get the same exit code 127 again. Thoughts? Next steps?

Now after launching the game from ck3.app, which opens normally, I can play the game, save it, and quit normally. Then in Steam, I open the Paradox Interactive launcher, try to play or resume the game, and I get the exit code 127 error again.

After that, there are four log files in ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/ : cpatch.log, launcher-2024-04-11.log, launcher-bootstrapped.log, and launcher-dowser.log. The only one that talks about an error is launcher-2024-04-11.log, which I've attached.

Attachments

• launcher-2024-04-11.log
    6,3 KB · Views: 0
I notice that mentions the previous launcher version
~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2024.4/
You should be on 2024.5 now. Can I get the rest of those log files please?

And please go into About This Mac, More info, System Report, File, Save. Attach that file hhere please.

Sure. Both versions 2024.4 and 2024.5 appear as different folders within Application Support > Paradox Interactive even after deleting the Paradox Interactive folder and relaunching.

I can't attach the System Report file. What information do you want from it?

Attachments

• launcher-2024-04-11.log
    6,3 KB · Views: 0
What happens if you go here /Users//Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2024.5/Paradox Launcher.app and run that .app file directly?

You won't see this game in there, the point is to see if the launcher is starting at all.

Right click on CK3 in your Steam library and add this in the "Launch Options" window:
--pdxlDebug

Start the game from Steam and the debug log will be automatically generated and located in one of the below locations (depending on your platform)

~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/logs/

Last edited:
The launcher opens, it says Welcome to the Paradox Launcher! etc., I click continue, it asks me to log in. I log in, it says no games were found. ???

I added the Launch Option you suggested. Clicked Play on the game in Steam, it opened the Paradox Launcher, I clicked Play. Same exit code 127. No files at all appear in ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/logs/

I've attached the launcher-date log from ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/logs/

Attachments

• launcher-2024-04-12.log
    10 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The launcher opens, it says Welcome to the Paradox Launcher! etc., I click continue, it asks me to log in. I log in, it says no games were found. ???
As I said, you won't see this game in there - it was never ported to that platform. The point was to see if the launcher itself runs.

As it does, it seems the problem only happens when the launcher is run from Steam - very odd indeed! Unfortunately we see nothing new in that log, even with the extra debug switch. My guess now is this is somethign to do with Steam somehow.

Let's try a clean reinstall of game AND Steam:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK3
- exit the Steam app entirely
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/Crusader Kings 3 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings III/ folders
- do a clean Steam reinstall, retaining the SteamApps folder so you don't lose ALL your Steam games
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.

**File Locations on Mac OS X**
The executable and DLC folder are in Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Crusader Kings III/
To see it go to the Finder, hit command-shift-G (ie Go To) and type in ~/Library/ .
The user files (settings.txt, error logs, saved games, gfx, mods) are in /Users/USER/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings III/ .

Good luck!

As you can see there's no more or different info in that log than any of the others. The launcher fails to start the game, or tries to and the game fails, but no info or errors or other clues as to why.

Do you have, or can you make, a second email account anywhere? If so, please make a new Paradox account using it, and link Steam to it instead of this account. Does that change anything?

Desperate I know, but I can't think of anything else to do to diagnose this down further!

Hi, is there anything else we can do, maybe bring the issue to the attention of the developers? There are other forum posts with this same exit code 127 issue (on other games), and no listed solution, but in the first thread below you referred the case to the launcher developer Deuterium Oxide. Did the developer have any insights or solution in that case?

Well, we can't send this to the game developers as it is clearly not a game issue - ck3.app works fine.

It is not impossible it is a launcher bug, but why it would affect you and so few others I have no idea. My guess is there is some unusual Google app or utility getting in the way.

I'll see if I can push some buttons and get a response from the launcher devs.

A few odd-sounding questions here!

Is AoW Planetfall install on this Mac? Or has it been?

If so, go into a terminal command line and do printenv . Probably best to not post that output here, but do you see anything there that looks like that original Google error, OR mentions Planetfall?

Last edited:
Okay then, whatever made that env variable with that stuff in it is the cause of the problem. I guess you could try using unset to remove it

FYI the basis of the problem seems to be setting a variable that has a forward slash in it, which should only be used for file system paths. Is that what you see in that variable?

Macs with Intel video systems - nothing to do with Intel CPUs which are fine - cannot run this game any more, that is true. That has never been supported hardware for this game, and it was really a matter of luck that it ever worked with previous game patches. The minimum requirements specifically state it must be an AMD video system.

If that's the issue here it will not be fixed, as it is not a bug as such. You can try reverting to previous game versions in the Steam betas tab for the game. Or as you say, run it under Bootcamp if you have that installed. Or indeed use an eGPU or graphics hosting service such as GeForce Now or Shadow PC.

If you are not sure what you have, in Steam please click on Steam-Help-System Info, and paste everything there into a text file and attach that here.
Hello, I have a Mac with AMD video system, and when I upgraded to Sonoma OS in November, the game simply stopper running and has been that way since then - the game freezes on the load screen. I played the game for 1587 hours (sic!) before. Is there any way I can play it again?

Hello, I have a Mac with AMD video system, and when I upgraded to Sonoma OS in November, the game simply stopper running and has been that way since then - the game freezes on the load screen. I played the game for 1587 hours (sic!) before. Is there any way I can play it again?
Your problem is not the issue discussed in this thread (the 127 error). Please don't me-too post in threads on different topics, thanks.

Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK3
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/Crusader Kings 3 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings III/ folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK3 or Documents CK3 locations, before installing again.

**File Locations on Mac OS X**
The executable and DLC folder are in Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Crusader Kings III/
To see it go to the Finder, hit command-shift-G (ie Go To) and type in ~/Library/ .
The user files (settings.txt, error logs, saved games, gfx, mods) are in /Users/USER/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings III/ .

IF that doesn't help, Please make your own new thread and we'll work on it there.