• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
THE REIGN OF GODFREY II (1213-?)

Part XVII: Blind Vengeance

crusadersland.jpg

The training courtyard rang with the sound of steel on steel.

Barisan of Montferrat cried out in pain as he hit the ground for the third time. The fourteen-year-old squire’s face was splattered with mud, and his arms were lined with bruises. They were using blunted blades, but that didn’t stop them from hurting.

“No, boy!” shouted Godfrey, “I said to block my blows, not take them! When you attack rashly you make yourself vulnerable!”

Barisan scrambled to his feet and wiped some of the mud off his face. “No fair!” he said accusingly, “You cheated!”

Barisan.jpg

Barisan de Montferrat, Nephew and Squire to the King.

“As I’ve already told you, Barisan, this is no game,” said Godfrey, “This is the difference between being alive, and dying a very painful death! Now pay attention and do as you’re told, and maybe you’ll learn how to keep your life!”

Barisan once again assumed the posture he had learned from Godfrey and prepared to spar.

“Hold, Barisan,” said Godfrey. “I don’t think the Wrath Guard is a good stance for you, not yet at least. You’re not strong enough yet. Let’s teach you the Fool’s Guard.”

“I’m no fool!” said Barisan.

“I’m no fool, sire!” Godfrey chastened, “Do I need to give you another drubbing, boy?” By Christ, the lad was spiteful!

“Sire,” grumbled Barisan, before his King could administer another dose of corporal punishment.

Godfrey still hadn’t figured out why Alix and Conrad had asked him to take their troublesome son to be his squire. Didn’t he have enough to worry about? He would have given them riches, lands, or power if they had asked for them, but no, they had wanted him to make an honorable man out of this little scoundrel.

“Why can’t just do as you’re told for once?” asked Godfrey.

The boy scowled and said nothing.

“Keep your sword low,” said Godfrey, “Point it forward, towards the ground.”

“That is a fool’s guard!” said Barisan, “That’ll leave me open to attack!”

“That’s just how it’s supposed to look,” said Godfrey, “You mislead your opponent into attacking your vulnerability, and then you'll have him exactly where you want him. There’s more to swordfighting than just ‘hack and slash.’ You’ve got to learn how to outwit your enemy!”

“I still don’t buy it,” Barisan scoffed, “I’m not an idiot!”

“That’s debatable,” thought Godfrey. “Very well,” he said to the boy, “Then attack me. Try to exploit the weak spot. Come on then, thrust!”

“Fine!” said Barisan, “But don’t say I didn’t warn you!” Maybe after he showed his uncle how stupid this was, he’d be able to learn some real swordsmanship for a change.

The young squire thrusted as instructed, but with an added measure of ferocity. Godfrey immediately raised his blade into a hanging parry, blocking Barisan’s awkward attack with ease. Barisan was clearly surprised, but resented being shown up. The boy cried out in anger and charged Godfrey, aiming for the King’s heart. Godfrey swiftly knocked the boy’s blade to the side with his gauntlet, and deftly placed the tip of his sword against Barisan’s throat.

godfrey7.jpg

“Now,” said Godfrey, “Do you understand?”

“How’d you do that?” asked Barisan, gasping from the exertion.

“I can teach you,” said Godfrey, “If you’ll stop resisting my instruction. Shall we try that again?”

Barisan nodded eagerly, the beginnings of a smile pricking the corners of his mouth.

“Your Highness!”

The King turned to see the source of the interruption. It was a guardsman, clad in the faded blue livery of Lusignan Jerusalem, running towards them as fast as he could.

“Sire! A missive has arrived for you! From the Pope himself!”

“From the Pope?” asked Godfrey, “I thought we were under interdict? What message from his Holiness?”

“His emissary is in audience with your mother the Queen even as we speak!”

“And?” asked Godfrey, “What news does he bear?”

“Queen Sibylla asks that you come quickly, sire,” panted the footman, “You’ve got to hear this message for yourself!”

***​

The massive Venetian fleet glided in precise formation across the choppy, turbulent waters of the Mediterranean Sea. An old man stood at the bow of the lead ship, his mouth wide in an elated smile. He could not see the water, but he could feel the spray on his face, hear the waves crashing against the hull of the ship. Enrico Dandolo may have lost his sight, but he had not lost his mind, not completely at least.

EnricoDandolo.jpg

Enrico Dandolo, the blind Doge of Venice.

In his hand, he clutched a ragged scroll of paper, an official dispatch from his Holiness the Pope, something he called a “carta bianca.” The nervous-sounding Spanish Cardinal who had delivered the message had also read it to him personally, since there was no way Dandolo could read it himself. Of course, being a man of considerable influence, the Doge had already heard about the new crusade pending against Jerusalem.

He had not believed that the Pope would be so foolish as to launch an attack against the strongest bastion of Christianity in the Levant. The arrival of the papal messenger had confirmed Dandolo’s suspicions; Innocent was actually being coerced, and was desperately looking for a way to prevent the upcoming disaster. And of course, calling in his favor with Dandolo would be the obvious solution.

The aged Doge of Venice squinted, as had become his habit over his past several decades of blindness, and as had always been the case, he could see nothing of consequence -- just a little blurry light with his left eye. It would not be long now. His ears perked up at the sound of approaching footfalls. “Yes?!” he asked irritably, before the man could speak.

“My lord?” said a tentative voice. It was da Conti, the captain of Dandolo’s flagship. “Our destination looms on the horizon. Shall I give the order to prepare the crusaders for disembarkation?”

“Disembark?” muttered Dandolo, “Yes, yes! Disembark! Get them off my ships! Let them start burning things! YES!

“By your will,” said the captain, and his footfalls swiftly moved away from Dandolo. A moment later he heard da Conti’s voice call out his orders, and the air erupted into a dissonance of Venetian voices as Dandolo’s sailors prepared for their arrival.

Now that he was once again alone, the Doge allowed his mind to wander. In his heart of hearts, he found that he was rather grateful that Pope Innocent was calling in his favor now. Every action had consequences, and the consequence of this particular action would be that both he and the Pope would get exactly what they wanted: Innocent’s crusade would be diverted, and Dandolo would at last have his revenge.

The footfalls came again. That simpering simpleton da Conti was back.

“Sire?” said the captain, as gently as he could manage, “Sire? Perhaps my lord would be more comfortable resting below deck?” He attempted to coax the Doge towards the steps leading to the lower decks. Dandolo slapped his hands away.

“No, NO!” hissed Dandolo, “Mustn’t go below decks! Not now! Must behold my vengeance!” Dandolo had found years ago that he had to rant and rave, or else his wishes would simply be ignored. Nobody noticed a little old blind man, even if he was the Doge of Venice, unless he acted like he was half-mad. And so Dandolo threw a temper tantrum. “Must stay!” he raved, “Must WATCH!

“My lord, you are blind!” pleaded da Conti, “You cannot see anything! And at your age, you should be resting! This journey has been hard on your health!”

“No, no, NO!” shrieked Dandolo, stamping his feet, “Must wait, not long now! Soon, you will see, soon, SOON!” Exasperated, Captain da Conti returned to his duties.

The Doge shook his head. The fool did not understand. Of course, Dandolo did not expect to live to return to Venice. He was over one hundred years old, (at least that was when he had stopped counting,) and he knew that the rigors of travel and war would wreak havoc on an old man’s constitution. He only had to wait but a little longer, and his final wish would be fulfilled. He could not make them understand, these others. But soon they would see, soon! For now, he just needed to wait, wait for the blurry light to change color from white to orange, red, and gold, yes, the colors of…

“Fire, Blood, Treasure!!!” he screamed at the top of his lungs, and then burst into a cacophony of hideous, rasping laughter.

crusadersboats.jpg

***​

So the Crusaders have arrived at their destination, but where exactly has Dandolo taken them?
Be sure to find out next time with the next update of Chronicles of the Golden Cross!​

Last edited:
So that's the second part of the Fourth Crusade Trilogy subset of the AAR. Let me know what you think. :D

I should have the third part (and climax) sometime next week. (Cross your fingers!)

Any guesses on where the crusaders have gone? :p

Wow a beautiful chapter , AP ! Gripping and exciting you left us with so many guesses ! It smells too much like a Constantinople siege for me if you get what I mean XD , but the revenge bit makes it less obvious XD

Dandolo looks and sounds partly crazed - then again, how old would he be at this point? :) Innocent didn't strike me to be the type to send the Crusaders to their destination under duress, so its not Godfrey they're going to hit. I'm going with canonized and betting Constantinople... the Venetians at this point would've had a longstanding rivalry with Byzantine merchants and this smells too much like a 4th Crusade.

Byzantium?

If somebody wanted to visit Freddy, he should have asked me, darn it! :D

Huh, the Doge of venice? I'd never have guessed that. I'd have guessed the guy in th epicture to be a heretic of some sort.

Anyways, a Byzantium siege eh? Or is it Alexandria?

Fire, Blood, Treasure!! And Freddy... if at all possible... ;) :D

Many thanks to those of you who have commented so far! And now for some replies:

@ The_Archduke: You're right he does hold a big grudge against the Imperial Germans, especially after Frederick Barbarossa took over the Lombard League and their northern Italian allies. Venice got rocked in that war; they're lucky to still be independent -- Milan wasn't so lucky.

But would Dandolo take out his revenge on Barbarossa's namesake granddaughter in Egypt? We'll have to see. ;)

@ canonized: Thanks! You'll have to wait and see if it's Constantinople. After all, this is alternate history, so you can't always expect a repeat performance. How true it is to real life remains to be seen. :p

@ General_BT: Well, as is established in the update, Dandolo is over 100, though part of his craziness is an act. And the Venetians do have a long-standing trade rivalry with the Byzantines...

@ Cartimandua: Thanks, Carti! I'm glad you're enjoying the story so far. I'm always pleased to have your support. :)

@ Enewald: Yeah, there are lots of possibilites. :) And you're actually spot-on. Dandolo is both sane and wise. He's also extremely bitter, frustrated, and overcompensating for his blindness.

@ Kurt_Steiner: I can promise that you'll be seeing Freddie again quite soon. What's she been up to since having Godfrey's love-child?

@ Qorten: Well, in my AAR I chose to depict Dandolo as an unkempt, wizened (and very blind) half-madman. The madness is (mostly) an act to get attention.

Things are not always going to be as they seem. Wait until you see the real heretics... :p

@ Murmurandus: Yep, you'll be seeing all three... four... of those things. ;)

This is a very good AAR. Well written narrative, interesting characterization. It doesn't always have to be about the game. That's the beauty about writing an AAR here in AARland. Keep up the good work.

Is it me or is a post missing? (Or am I imagining it)
This missing post was a critique of the "story so far" - and it was quite good. I tend to agree with a lot of what was written. I'm still enjoying this AAR but not like I did from the beginning, but now I'm doubting it actually was posted....

It was there and it got deleted, don't know by who.

I really liked your portrayal of Enrico Dandolo. While I have never much liked the blind Doge you have to at least grudgingly respect what he was able to accomplish given both his condition and his advanced age. Using the Monty Python pic for him made me chuckle as well. :) Storywise, I'm torn trying to decide where the old coot is taking the crusaders.

Bobbins71 said:
Is it me or is a post missing? (Or am I imagining it)
This missing post was a critique of the "story so far" - and it was quite good. I tend to agree with a lot of what was written. I'm still enjoying this AAR but not like I did from the beginning, but now I'm doubting it actually was posted....
There's a fine line between critique and criticism. The post crossed the line and was deleted at the request of the author.

It's not up for debate. Now back to the AAR.

Lord Durham said:
This is a very good AAR. Well written narrative, interesting characterization. It doesn't always have to be about the game. That's the beauty about writing an AAR here in AARland. Keep up the good work.

I fully agree. If we just stick to the AAR... well... many AARs wouldn't have been written.

@ Lord Durham: Thank you, sir, for everything. :)

@ VILenin: Thanks, friend. Dandolo's vengeance will ultimately have some unforeseen consequences too...

@ Kurt_Steiner: Indeed, I agree as well. After all, I'm trying to tell a story. Just because some plot threads haven't been finished doesn't mean they won't be. In fact, I plan on ultimately weaving a lot of these threads together. :p

AlexanderPrimus said:
@ VILenin: Thanks, friend. Dandolo's vengeance will ultimately have some unforeseen consequences too...

Vengeance and war often due. I just hope it's not Outremer that suffers as a result.

AlexanderPrimus said:
@ canonized: Thanks! You'll have to wait and see if it's Constantinople. After all, this is alternate history, so you can't always expect a repeat performance. How true it is to real life remains to be seen. :p

Haha , now I'm sure it's not Constantinople XD though I guess I could still be wrong . I bet you're saving the triune walled city for something else XD