• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mao is a traditionalist not keeping up with the time, thoughts of emperor is pretty heavy on his mind, that is my personal opinion of course. A lot of things he has done after early 50s are certainly not for the good of people.

However to say Mao is a complete loser is really a not good description. He has his qualities just not at managing a country the way it should be done. Mao is good at managing people and the grand strategies during war, had Jiang got Mao's ability at managing the war, he would probably have won it.

Things like women's right would unlike to be so advanced in 50s had Communist not come into power. That being said, the entire Communist system is flawed if you ask me. However modern Chinese history is particularly complex and muddled in a lot of cases, in a lot of situations there is no strict black or white but more mixed.

Great progress, I have started my first Nationalist game in Armageddon to test the difference, certainly not doing as well as you are doing :) What find in dealing with Guangxi is that, once you take Maoming, the garrison in Hainan will move out to Zhangjiang and leaving the island open for your landing.

urmmm... back to the aar... yey no more corruption! or actually isnt the security guy corrupted as well?

its great to see china being united and your ic shooting up. those japs wont know what hit 'em.

Are you using Techteam/IC takeover?

I think the security guy negates 3% IC.

Look forward to seeing Long Yun get smacked around.

You didn't get an INT Squadron from the annexation of Guangxi though?

Last edited:
Maj. von Mauser said:
i think the security guy negates 3% IC.

every little helps. and it depends what benefits his successor can give.

Creslin He was ok militarily. Most of his insights were initially invented by Peng Dehuai, Lin Biao, and Liu Shaoqi, Mao just was the first to write them down. Jiang Jieshi was brilliant in the short term, but he never really figured out a strategy beyond the military. The individual campaigns from 1927 - 1936 he won handily against everyone, but the communists, but he never figured out how to use those victories to solve China's essential problems.

He also didn't have Mao's army, if Mao told six generals to go north, they all would. In Jiang's army, three generals would actually go north, two would say they were moving but wouldn't, and the sixth would figure out who the enemy to the north was and try to cut a deal.

It's why I had Jiang restore the commissars, because it's the only way I could make it plausible that the army did what he told it to.

As for the advancement, it's certainly not black and white. Taiwan was a one party dictatorship until the late 80's, but the difference between the two was summed up by a dissident who despised the Guomindang as corrupt, militarists, but nevertheless fled to Taiwan after the war.

When asked why, he said, "The Guomindang are authoritarians, they tell me what I can't do and then they leave me alone. The communists are totalitarians. They tell me things I must do and never leave me alone.

The moral of the story is that the people most qualified to run China in the past 100 years were the British. ;)

Good luck in Armageddon!

BritishImperial His successor gives a +5 or 10% to consumer goods. The security minister stays until '38.

ColossusCrusher No, but Nat. China has cores on Guangxi, Yunnan, Tibet, Xinjiang, Xibei San Ma, Shanxi, Manchukuo and the Japanese colonies, so for a little while it will seem like I have IC takeover.

Maj. von Mauser You're right, he's a -3% IC, but, with Bai Chongxi, I get a net +2%.

I didn't get the squadron, they had no airbases left before annexation. This is especially disappointing as the historical Guangxi war was won when Chiang Kai Shek bribed the entire enemy airforce to defect.

Deus Eversor After the war, before Tibet. They'll save my ass in the coming update so I owe them.

And now the real war begins!

Last edited:
26年 1月 19日

The attack had two main objectives. The first was the mountainous western half of Sichuan province. 1936 had seen a gradual strengthening of the central government within the Sichuan basin itself. In 1927, all of the Sichuan warlords had officially joined the Guomindang, however, Sichuan remained one of the richest and most isolated provinces of China. The famous 8th century poet, Du Fu, once described the road to Sichuan as more difficult than the road to Heaven. This meant that, while the central government had some control over the civil administration, it lacked the power to prevent regional warlords from imposing their own taxes or halting government work. The Southern War had impressed upon the regional commanders how foolish it would be to try to fight the Central Army on the flat, open fields of the Sichuan Basin. They had withdrawn to Western Sichuan where the Himalayas bend south towards the Indian Ocean. From there, they were close enough to threaten Chengdu and ChongQing but far enough to prevent a surprise offensive from wiping them out in one fell swoop. For the Guomindang, this was untenable. Sichuan province was both larger and more populous than France and the second century water works at Du Jiang Yan had made Sichuan the agricultural heart of China for the past 2,000 years. The problem was that most of that food was feeding the feuding provincial armies and very little of it was making it's way down the Yangtze to the rest of China. The central army in Sichuan was tasked with entering the mountains at Ya'an to remove the immediate threat to the Sichuan Basin.

1937-1-19--yaan.png

Chiang Kai Shek meanwhile directed his attention towards Yunnan and Long Yun. Long Yun was the most powerful of many regional warlords in the Southwest, and had official recognition as governor of Yunnan province. Governor was actually a misnomer as it implied subordination. In truth, the entirety of Yunnan was under his direct control with the exception of the mountainous border with Sichuan, Chiang was being direct and attacked first towards Qujing with the intent on marching on Kunming as soon as possible

1937-1-19-Qujing.png

His 120,000 well trained, rested, and experienced troops easily routed the defenders. Long Yun had heard that the central army was stronger, but now he really believed it.

1937-1-19--qujing-victory.png

In the North, 27,000 thousand troops from the plains supported by an attack in the Northeast from Chongqing and the Norhtwest from Xining would easily rout the defenders.

Their ordeal had just begun as they were forced to retreat south, to the mountainous border region between Yunnan and Sichuan.

1937-1-19--yaan-victory.png

There, the Han people were a clear minority, living only at the base of the mountains. Further up lived the Yi people, animists who herded, farmed, wrote and spoke a completely different language than the Han. At the top, lived Yak herding ethnic Tibetans. Both the Yi people and Tibetans were comparatively well armed and lowland armies, dating back to imperial times, had learned to keep a wide berth.

DSCF1346.jpg

26年 1月 24日

On the 23rd, Yan Xishan played right into Chiang's hands by entering into an alliance with Long Yun against Chiang. The assault on Long Yun had generated considerable dissent as people viewed uniting the country as secondary to defending against Japan. However, when Yan Xishan moved against Chiang, the Guomindang's reprisal could be legitimately couched as self defense. Troops in the north were well placed both immediately below the Yellow river and also among the old communist fortifications in Yan'an. On both fronts the Guomindang remained slightly outnumbered in terms of men, but if artillery, trucks, and other support units were added into the mix, central government forces far outclassed their opposition. Guomindang military planners were optimistic that both armies could be brought under central command within three to four months. Once completed, these troops were to be reorganized and rearmed to the standards of the rest of the army to be ready for an offensive into Manchuria in mid 1938.

The Japanese would force them to move up the timetable a wee bit.

1937-1-24--japan-declares-w.png

Japanese diplomats said that recent events had made it clear that Japan needed to move into China to protect their Chinese brothers from the devastation of another civil war.

This was a huge crisis for the Revolutionary Army's high command. Chinese coastal defenses north of Fuzhou were nonexistent with only a small garrison in Shanghai. Immediately, Muslim troops from Xibei San Ma and troops from the north were hastily bundled onto trains and moved with all haste. Even so the entire coastal region from Yantai to Shanghai would remain defenseless for the next two weeks.

26年 1月 25日

Sheng Shicai saw allying with the Japanese as the only way to break free of Soviet domination and started to advance his troops into Gansu province, threatening the homeland of the loyal Ma Clique.

The treaty of Shanghai was deemed void and troops were immediately sent to reinforce the garrison. However, Chinese troops were ordered to respect the extra territorial enclave within Shanghai, as a move against it now would certainly induce the Japanese to reinforce it beyond China's ability to match. The current war was also thought to be the work of the militarists within Japan's army, if that was true, it could take weeks for them to get the Navy's permission for an amphibious offensive. Unless, of course, Chinese forces moved on Japanese marines on the coast. As long as the Japanese thought they were superior, they would take their time resolving the "China incident" as it was called in Japan. If, however, China made a direct move against them, they would be honor bound to counter attack. Spies in Japan were told to impress upon the Japanese military the need for proper preparation for a continental war. This wasn't entirely a lie, they just neglected to say that it was the Guomindang that needed the time. *

Germany saw an opportunity here. Unlike Franco, Chiang and the Guomindang enjoyed popularity in both Britain and America. They immediately expressed their full support to the Guomindang, with the notable exception of ground and naval assets. Germany hoped to gain brownie points with the Western democracies by helping China in it's struggle with Japan.

1937-1-24--Xinjiang-declare.png

26年 1月 26日

Troops rushed into Taiyuan following the same route of the Red Army's aborted "Eastern Expedition." Even though the troops had not been fully upgraded, they were ordered to advance as Chiang sought to take the defensible mountains of Shanxi as soon as possible.

1937-1-26-attack-Taiyuan.png

26年 1月 27日

While the Revolutionary Army had learned and reorganized from the war with the communists, Yan Xishan had not. Nationalist troops advanced in three groups. The first would move directly up the Fen river valley towards Taiyuan while the other two would advance on parallel courses through the mountains on either side. The goal was not to destroy the enemy troops but make their position so untenable that they would have no choice but to retreat North to serve as a buffer between the Revolutionary army and the Japanese. The strategy was an astounding success and Taiyuan was abandoned by it's defenders.

1937-1-27-Taiyuan-victory.png

The IJN decided to bomb the Chinese fleet in harbor at Zhanjiang. The Guomindang knew that it's ships stood no chance against the Japanese and there had been plans on the board to scrap them in 1938. The ships had been purposely towed to Zhanjiang and placed in shallow water. Japanese bombers would report solid hits on many ships, but what they didn't know was the ships only had about a meter of water below their keels. They couldn't be sunk. The Japanese would fooled into days of useless bombing as the ships were made to look still functional through various tricks. The most audacious was probably the "treasure ships," these looked like they were full size destroyers and torpedo boats, but were actually mostly cloth and paper over a bamboo frame.

1937-1-27-zhanjiang-under-a.png

In the Southwest, regional troops advanced into Zigong.

1937-1-27-zigong-lost.png

Zigong was one of the richest cities in China and had been for thousands of years. The layer of brine below the surface led to the creation of a large domestic salt industry. Initially, wells had been shallow, but, as the water was saltier deeper down, the wells had gotten deeper. As they got deeper, they hit natural gas which was quickly utilized to serves as fuel for the boilers. By the 1700's the wells had exceeded 3,000 feet in depth and the Chinese Salt Administration became a very important source of government funding. The Guomindang did not want to lose that revenue stream.

ZigongSaltwells.jpg

26年 2月 1日

And they wouldn't, as modern forces in western Sichuan and Chongqing quickly converged to evict the enemy troops from the city.

1937-2-1-attack-zigong.png

At the same time, Falkenhausen was given the go ahead to advance north in Handan. It was still winter in north China and the Guomindang sought to capture as much land as possible while that was still true. The Guomindang wanted to have as much territory as possible under its direct control before spring and the probable Japanese move south.

Falkenhausen's army would be opposed only by a cavalry division using tactics and weapons from the 1800's.

1937-2-1-attack-handan.png

26年 2月 2日

The troops would be victorious.

The United States was deathly afraid of the threat to it's own south pacific holdings should Japan be victorious on the land, and needed a way to help China but not antagonize Japan. The US solution was not to sell guns but give china the money to buy guns from someone else. In America, Claire Chennault resigned from the Army and accepted a commission by Chiang Kai Shek to create an "International Squadron" for the Republic of China Air Force. (ROCAF)

At the same time it was proposed to move the industry to the interior, as the coast was still vulnerable. This was reluctantly approved. **

1937-2-2-various-assistance.png

Chiang's forces would meet some more opposition on their way to Qujing. It was easily brushed aside.

193722qujingattacked.png

26年 2月 5日

The window for an easy Japanese naval assault was rapidly closing as Chinese divisions completed their redeployment to the coast. Japanese military planners hadn't quite realized it and they merely bombed the coastal garrisons.

1937-2-5-being-bombed.png

1937年 2月 6日

Chinese troops arrived at the provincial capital of Taiyuan. It was becoming clear that Japan was unwilling to move against Yan Xishan. Many theories were debated in Chinese military circles. One proposed that they didn't want to waste troops destroying Yan Xishan's armies and were waiting for the nationalists to do it. Another suggested that the Kwangtung Army was going to move south regardless once the snow melted. A final one postulated that the Japanese were waiting for the fall of Long Yun, at which point a desperate Yan Xishan would welcome the Japanese to help him fight the Guomindang.

Whatever the truth, the Kwangtung army had not moved against Yan Shixan, so nationalist armies would concentrate on keeping his army between them and the Japanese.

1937-2-6-Taiyuan.png

26年 2月 10日

The last part of Sichuan to fall were the Himalayas proper. 40,000 men moved up the mountains to assault 28,000 troops of varying quality. The ROCAF would be on hand to provide air support but only the close proximity of the airbase in Chengdu allowed their old planes to operate at the extreme altitude.

1937-2-10-kangding.png

26年 2月 11日

But operate they did and enemy forces would be sent retreating south.

1937-2-11-kangding-victory.png

26年 2月 12日

The industry of newly captured Taiyuan, especially it's critical arsenal, was packed up and moved away from the front lines. Guangzhou would see a similar reduction as the more portable industries were moved away from the coast.

1937-2-12-infrastructure.png

Up next, more surprises!

*I did not actually anticipate the war declaration coming this soon. The text is based on the history of the Battle of Shanghai. In OTL, the Japanese wanted the "China incident" confined to the north, like the Mukden incident before it. This way they could win the regional battle quickly followed by an unequal treaty. They wanted to gobble China up in small manageable bites. Chiang had no control over the northern troops and thus sought to prevent this by winning a victory in the south, where he was strong. Chinese troops in 1931 fought the Japanese to a standstill in Shanghai, so Chiang knew it could be done. Chiang attacked the Japanese garrison in Shanghai in an all or nothing attack to win a victory against Japan. The results were disastrous as he lost all of his elite and loyal divisions and would spend the rest of the war with a much weakened hand to control the regional commanders. In my game, I plain and simple lucked out that Japan did not invade in the 16 days when I had nothing on the north coast. This was my fault as I didn't have enough militias to make the 2 to 1 ratio that I like and thought to put it off until I had inherited some more. If they had landed, everywhere but Yan'an and Taiyuan in the north would have sent troops with the goal of luring them inland and cutting them off from the coast.

** This was a case of gameplay overruling story. Even though I wasn't particularly threatened, the event is written so that the choice is +20% infrastructure from moving or nothing if you stay put. Unfortunately, the first one triggers all the subsequent ones so Guangzhou moves it's industry even though it's perfectly well defended.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Awesome update!

Looks like Long Yun is giving you a bit of a fight, whereas the Japanese are afraid to advance.

I take it your fleet has just been lucky to not take any damage from the Japanese port attacks?

Last edited:
Maj. von Mauser

In case this isn't clear, I'm at war with two separate alliances. Yunnan/Shanxi and Japan/Manchukuo/Sinkiang. They are not at war with each other and this is why my strategy works. The most important things are being able to take Tianjin, Beijing, and Erenhot at near the same time as you want Shanxi's troops as soon as you have a border with Japan. Also. don't annex Yunnan before Shanxi as a lone Shanxi will ally with Japan. This isn't a problem for fighting shanxi, you can still win, but when you do, half of their divisions will be in Japanese territory and annihilated.

Long Yun is, but that's the point of using the 12 stack. The trick with Yunnan is that every province besides the two at the bottom and Zhaotung are VP provinces. Also, not helping is the fact that every province is mountains and has a bunch of rivers. The best way to take him out is a 12 stack advancing through the four in the south and 5 divisions in the north to take the other two. Make sure the north gets evicted quickly as you want the troops already retreated to the south by the time the south stack gets through.

As for my fleet, I did just luck out. I'm going to disband them anyway after the war.

Carmen510 Welcome and enjoy!

26年 2月 12日

The central army would continue it's inexorable march westwards. Long Yun had the allegiance of several local warlords and, had they banded together, they might have been able to stop the advance. However, each was reluctant to commit their own troops against Chiang, instead hoping that the others would fight first and take the casualties. As it was, they would be defeated piecemeal and forced to retreat.

1937212Qujing.png

26年 2月 14日

The advance would stop to reorganize in Qujing. It's southern flank was still vulnerable and the central army would support troops from Bose in evicting the enemy troops.

1937-2-14-attack-wenshan.png

26年 2月 15日

Ma Hongbin would personally lead his troop to Yuling. His troops would take up positions on the southern banks of the Yellow river, easily fending off an ill conceived counterattack.

1937-2-15-Yuling-attacked.png

The Guomindang was sick of the constant bombing and leading industrialists were put to work retooling Chinese factories to produce modern fighters.

1937-2-15-Tech.png

26年 2月 17日

"In the critical first month of the Sino Japanese war, the Japanese government was convinced that the Guomindang would crumble once engaged in combat with superior Japanese divisions. The High Command of the imperial armed forces assumed that they had time and assured the emperor that, once the Kwangtung army engaged the main body of Guomindang forces, Japan would be able to dictate terms and secure a favorable peace within half a year. As the war dragged on, Japanese military planners realized the magnitude of their error. An invasion of undefended North China in February would have forced the Guomindang to reevaluate their priorities. Instead, they allowed Chiang to complete the reinforcement of the coast and over a quarter of a million troops would be on guard from Hainan to Yantai by March. Over the past year Chinese divisions had gone from having only a fourth of the firepower of a Japanese division to having 75%. The Japanese had squandered the first month of the war and ceded the Guomindang the initiative and would spend the rest of war struggling to reclaim it." The Nationalist Era of the Guomindang, Lloyd Eastman

The coastal redeployment was almost complete, the only vulnerable spot remained in Fuzhou where 10,000 men were spread out defending 100 miles of coastline.

1937-2-17-Fuzhou-still-vuln.png

26年 2月 22日

A group of Ma clan irregulars were tasked with occupying Jinan. The capital of Shandong province was the last enemy city south of the Yellow River. The Ma zapai division would face a leaderless group of Mongol cavalry who had been stationed in the south to prevent them deserting back to their homes in Inner Mongolia.

1937-2-22--attack-Jinan.png

Ma troops would once again prove their worth as they easily touted the defender with help from the garrison in Yantai.

1937-2-22-Jinan-victory.png

26年 2月 24日

2000 kilometers to the southwest, Chiang had finished his preparations and moved on the provincial capital of Kunming. The central army would face a force a little over a third their size.

1937-2-24-attack-kunming.png

The regional armies were not prepared for this. Officially, they were deployed, of course, but only Long Yun was willing to risk his forces to defend the city. The minute shooting began his allies deserted him, gambling that the war with Japan would force Chiang to abandon his pursuit into the mountainous hinterland. They were wrong of course and his forces would continue towards Kunming.

1937-2-24--kunming-victory.png

26年 2月 26日

Troops from the Ma clan and the Guomindang would act in concert to cross the Yellow River to bring the eastern half of Suiyan back to government control. The winter helped as the water level of the river was low. Victory was won, but Guomindang lines had become dangerously overstretched.

1937-2-26--attack-on-hohhot.png

26年 2月 27日

German help had led to an unprecedented increase in China's industry. 9.8% of China's industrial growth in the last year was attributed to newly constructed factories bought from Germany.

War, however, warranted a government switch from domestic industry and money was put into developing a Chinese equivalent to the German army's Gebirgsjäger divisions. The German army was receptive to the idea and sent instructors. The Germans were pleasantly surprised as most of China's army already fought as experienced light infantry, as the lack of vehicles and rugged terrain made that their only option.

1937-2-27-mountain-tech.png

26年 3月 1日

Jinan was occupied on March 1st. The troops were from Khotan, a city in southern Xinjiang. Sheng Shicai had forced them to flee and seek the protection of relatives in the Ma clan. They in turn, had placed them under the Guomindang with the understanding that the central government would topple Sheng Shicai. Upon arriving in Jinan, they successfully defended the river from enemy counterattack.

1937-3-1-Jinan-victory.png

26年 3月 2日

They also were tasked with moving critical industries out of the newly captured city.

1937-3-2-Jinan-industry-tra.png

26年 3月 7日

The Guomindang arrived in Kunming to be greeted by cheers from the local populace. In the last year, the Guomindang had established a reputation for good government that the regionalists were hard pressed to match. From a strategic standpoint, Kunming was the hub of the southern rail network, with lines running north to Chongqing and south to Haiphong in French Indo-China.

1937-3-7-Kunming-arrival.png

26年 3月 17日

Winter was disappearing in the north and that was the signal Falkenhausen to start making some aggressive moves north. The first stop was Yucheng. Enemy forces would have to be dislodged to keep them between the Guomindang and the Japanese. Falkenhausen's well rested troops fought against a similar number of enemy troops on paper. In reality, they're enemy was short of supplies and in no condition to fight. They would follow the Guomindang's plan and retreat to Tianjin in disarray.

1937-3-17-attack-yucheng.png

26年 3月 20日

The advance in Yuling had caused a 20 mile gap to open up in nationalist lines. This wouldn't be detected until after 20,000 enemy troops had made it through. The counterattack was ordered immediately and was successful.

1937-3-20-lost-yanan.png

26年 3月 21日

The plains of north China had facilitated fast movement and Falkenhausen attacked Tianjin. The plan was only to evict the enemy troops, the Guomindang would stop short of occupation.

1937-3-21-attack-tianjin.png

26年 3月 22日

The main thrust was actually towards Shijiazhuang. The North China Plain echoed with artillery fire as the starving and demoralized enemy bore the full fury of what was arguably the best army in the Guomindang.

1937-3-22-attack-shijiazhua.png

26年 3月 23日

On open ground, they were no match for the Guomindang. Not helping matters was the lack of supplies caused by being divorced from the capital Taiyuan. They would flee north to Baoding.

1937-3-23-shijiazhuang-vict.png

26年 3月 24日

The Soviet Union had watched the Sino Axis alliance with growing alarm. The Luftwaffe was gaining valuable experience that Russia did not want them to have. They had tried almost all the threats available, save one, to split the alliance. The war forced Stalin to choose between Japan or China, and Stalin reluctantly concluded that the Chinese would be better neighbors than Japan.

To that end the Soviets offered significant help, but it had enough strings attached to weave a hammock. The Guomindang would have to pay for everything, and more importantly, they would have to sign a formal nonaggression pact. The Japanese navy had effectively blockaded China's shipments of heavy equipment from Germany。 The Soviets thus became the only possible source for the war supplies that couldn't be produced domestically. Envious of the Drachenwehr, the Soviets sent their own pilots to form a "Volunteer Group." In a bid to one up the Germans, the Soviets also placed them under direct Chinese command. Sino Soviet relations seemed to be thawing.

1937-3-24-operation-zet.png

The war of resistance continues next time on AARight to Be Hostile!

Important note that I missed. Some perceptive readers may notice that my dissent went up from 5% to 10% between March 1st and 7th. This is because the "United Front Event" fired and I said no.

Last edited:
26年 3月 26日

Yunnan was gradually being swallowed up by Chiang Kai Shek's army. The next target was Xiaguan. capturing this city would give control of the mountains between the Yangtze and Mekong rivers.

1937-3-26-attack-xiaguan.png

Before 1937, warlord and government troops had had similar supply systems. The Revolutionary Army's modernizations now enabled it to resupply and reorganize much more quickly. When Chiang's 120,000 troops met 84,000, there seemed to be parity.

1937-3-26-attack-xiaguan-de.png

But there wasn't, however, as enemy troops had not been able to reorganize since their loss in Kunming. Victory would be swift and left the rebels sandwiched between the Guomindang and the British colonial holdings.

1937-3-26-attack-xiaguan-vi.png

26年 3月 28日

It had become apparent that there was very little fight left in the northern armies. Guomindang political workers started infiltrating enemy lines to sow dissent in the enemy ranks against their current leadership. At the same time, Falkenhausen was attacked, but it was clearly the last act of a desperate army and had no chance of succeeding.

1937-3-28-shijiazhuang-atta.png

26年 3月 29日

Yucheng had come under attack from Tianjin. Though the attacking troops still had supply problems, they vastly outnumbered the defending Ma zapai division that had fought so heroically in Jinan. Falkenhausen would immediately attack and rout the attacking troops, once again saving the northern front.

1937-3-29-saving-yucheng.png

26年 3月 30日

The hole in the northern front was closed by a division arriving from Taiyuan. Enemy troops rushing in to exploit it now had a rude awakening.

1937-3-30-yanan-saved.png

26年 4月 1日

It was time to remove the pressure entirely as troops from Taiyuan easily evicted the defenders in Datong. Surrender demands were again issued demanding complete restructuring of enemy forces and arrests of most of the senior officers. It was rejected, but enemy troops were starving, discontent, and defeated, so it was only a matter of time.

1937-4-1-datong-victory.png

26年 4月 2日

Western Sichuan was finally secured as troops operating from Xining on the Qinghai plateau were able to move south along the mountains and occupy the valleys running from north to south. They were well entrenched and easily fought off a few enemy troops who were fleeing northwards.

1937-4-2-kangding--victory.png

26年 4月 3日

The generals trapped in Zhaotung had advanced south. They were trying to flank Chiang's main thrust and link up with the warlord troops in Jinghong. They would be disabused of that notion by a simultaneous attack by a division in Kunming and a division in Anshun.

1937-4-3-qujing-victory.png

Meanwhile, Chiang's troops arrived and occupied Xiaguan. Baoshan remained the only significant territory outside of government control.

1937-4-3-arrived-xiaguan.png

In the north, Falkenhausen once again attacked towards Japanese lines. The target was Baoding, the then capital of Hebei province and the final stop on the JiangGuang railway before Beijing. Control of this city was critical if an assault on the former capital was to be attempted. 90,000 experienced and rested troops would meet 77,000 who weren't. Falkenhausen jokingly described his job in a letter to his wife as being a military sheepdog, as all his forces had to do was bark and the enemy would be sent running.

1937-4-3-attack-Baoding.png

26年 4月 6日

Three days later his troops would arrive. The Japanese and the Guomindang were now separated only by a long strip 100 miles wide running from the coast to the Mongolian border.

1937-4-6-arrive-Baoding.png

Next month, the fight with the Japanese begins in earnest on AARight to be Hostile!

Last edited:
I am enjoying this AAR. I always enjoy Nationalist China.

I do have to say though that you got lucky with Shanxi. In the vast majority of my games as Nationalist China, when Sinkiang allies with Japan they declare war on Shanxi and the Japanese gobble up thier northern provinces and end up destroying much of the Shanxi army before I can annex them.

Actually, before March 1938, so Germany gets the peacetime core events.

For anyone reading this for help on playing nationalist china, the most important thing is not to destroy the warlord armies, just herd them into non VP provinces. For Shanxi, that generally means Hohhot and Kalgan, for Yunnan that means Zhaotung and Jinghong.

Duke of Boom I'm honored to have you as a reader. Thank you (and Mib) for creating CCIP.

Felkethar I think it depends on the circumstances of the war declaration. If the the Marco Polo bridge event goes off as normal, then Japan will declare on Shanxi. If they just attack because you're too aggressive, they won't (or at least I've never had them do it.) The strategy works because Yunnan and Shanxi are in an alliance and at war with me, which keeps the Japanese from declaring on them but also keeps them from allying with Japan.

elbasto Prepare to eat that word.

ColossusCrusher That's the deadline? I'll keep it in mind.

Update 到来!