• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't know if I can say that, especially since I suspect they simply didn't have enough time to catch everything.

I can't recall any good tested release of PI game.
Well, it's not SO bad. Games are great. But testing can be better.

You forgot the broken republics and the impossibility of Norse navigating rivers.

Its very depressing to see errors so flagrant like these. It shows that the beta testers didnt even try these starts, what is apauling. Paradox have a faithful community of players, would be easy recruit dozen of veteran players to beta test, I really dont know why they dont do that.

You forgot the broken republics and the impossibility of Norse navigating rivers.

Its very depressing to see errors so flagrant like these. It shows that the beta testers didnt even try these starts, what is apauling. Paradox have a faithful community of players, would be easy recruit dozen of veteran players to beta test, I really dont know why they dont do that.

Legality.

It's obvious they were going to half-bake this. They haven't eve fleshed out other pagans and all the Persian culture group cultures still don't have unique names, then they add the saxons without adding even unique names for that. If they are willing to do that with things as simple as names then clearly they can't get other features together. These were just copy/pastes.
Sad, but true.

I've attempted to remedy the situation here, but it's anyone's guess whether it will even get read, let alone reported. I stopped submitting database reports months ago, as eventually they just lost interest.

Take a look at the bug report subforum. Although it doesn't have as many game-breaking glitches glaring at you as Rajas of India, Charlemagne was very unpolished:

• No improvements to plotting but assassination removed. I was not a fan of that button, but the manure plots get old fast.
  • Severe retinue nerf with no improvement of the base combat mechanics to be more realistic and require more thought than having a larger army than the Duke you're fighting.
  • Mediterranean faces were screwed-up before, but the glitches are ridiculous.
  • Missing and erroneous localization everywhere.
  • Incorrect cultural and religious placement (see: British Isles, Balkans, etc.)
  • No improved missionary mechanics, in none of my 769 games have the Slavs ever gone Orthodox or even Catholic. I was seriously expecting a SS. Cyril and Methodius reference or something.
  • Broken dynasties everywhere.
  • Bulgaria ALWAYS swallows up Avaria and evolves into Mega Pannonia.
  • The weather looks no better than feature premiere weeks ago; snow looks like man milk.
What else? I think I'd break this page listing it all. My point is, October 14 was too early. It should have been given more weeks to develop.
  • When you say improvements do you mean update plot mechanics or more flavour? If the latter it seems fine already, if the former I'd say more flavour=good but not necessary. You see a plot once and then skim any repetitions. New flavour wouldn't do much after a single game.
  • I'm not going to argue against deeper combat mechanics but 1) Retinues were so ridiculously OP and 2) I'd argue that CK2's combat is quite realistic for the period. A feudal lord had little control over his peasant levies and the effects of terrain and leadership differences make a fair difference.
  • I'm not having any problems with the Med faces, but one player is admittedly a small sample size...
  • Not encountering this to much of this but as above small sample size.
  • This is a massive can of worms. Could they do it better? Yes probably. Would more time have made a difference? Not at all. They likely figured their research was correct and moved on. More time wouldn't change that.
  • It doesn't need new mechanics, just more dedicated AI. Although some events would be neat.
  • Haven't noticed but I admittedly haven't been looking.
  • Have you seen Bulgaria at the Old Gods start? They did gobble up most of Pannonia. It may happen a bit quick but the only real change needed is altering the AI to prefer K_Bulgaria over K_Pannonia
  • Seems fine to me but most of my time is in Political or Direct Vassal mode so I can't really comment.

I'd say you may have some validity to what you say but more time in development wouldn't solve much in my opinion.

I love Paradox but I really feel like despite our complaints about this kind of stuff in past they just don't care. I understand bugs are a common thing in game development, but every single new expansion/patch I've seen for both CK2 and EU4 are horrendously broken and full of balance changes that quite frankly no one asked for. There is very little Q&A going on and it feels like they don't even read the forums. Take for instance Pictland - it can only be turned Scottish if conquered by a non-Celtic culture, something which makes absolutely zero sense and means those of us who want to play Dal Riata can't even become Scottish as it happened historically. The fact they had the South Slavs as Christian until people mass-complained as well just shows me they're not even bothering to do historical fact-checking at this point. Meanwhile instead of fixing what we already have, they'll add things like the Zunbils which have little other than dozens of Dark Souls 'praise the sun' references which don't even have functioning event text.

I really do love the concepts behind the expansions, but I'm quite tired of having to sit around for days or potentially weeks before I can enjoy them because they're released in such a disgustingly bad state it's a chore to play. Modders should not have to fix every single thing Paradox, especially considering the price you're asking for this expansion. I'm still not even entirely sure what I bought - beyond the new legalism and tribal mechanics (which are free anyway) I genuinely feel pretty ripped off here. The most extensive thing I've seen is the new early clothing packs which I had to buy separately anyway.

After my woeful Dal Riata I tried a Zunbil game, where I had to constantly imprison and execute my heirs because you decided removing the ability to assassinate them was a good idea despite no one asking you to do that. After 100 years of doing nothing because the gigantic Abbasid blob wasn't going away despite you boasting more anti-blobbing features, I decided to try out playing the Suebi. That was until I noticed every single Suebian has the surname Smith. It's just laughably terrible.

Some of it is evidently very last minute as well, such as only adding Frisian culture because the guy doing the live streams eventually requested it and is, I believe, from the Netherlands.

Weird, I've played for roughly 200+ years and the worst bug I found was Norse not being able to navigate rivers. Certainly nothing game-breaking like after RoI.

Yes, I haven't been thrilled with some of the decisions and balancing (like retinues and plots), but I wouldn't exactly call those bugs. And surprisingly enough, the tribal mechanics have worked perfectly...

Surprisingly, RoI was not so bad as it was not optimised and was badly balanced in the newly added regions, religions and cultures, but it didn't break the core mechanics and I could play as a European very well.

Just my two cents. It is still not up to the pre-RoI level of quality though.

Surprisingly, RoI was not so bad as it was not optimised and was badly balanced in the newly added regions, religions and cultures, but it didn't break the core mechanics and I could play as a European very well.

Just my two cents. It is still not up to the pre-RoI level of quality though.

Don't you remember the horrible revolt risk bug with RoI?

i think pi has a very few qa team.

You'd think there'd be events for the Khazars to possibly become Jewish, or Moravia to be able to form Great Moravia, a Scottish melting pot that isn't some ridiculous "Scots are Vikings who took over Pictland!" nonsense, in fact some melting pots that DON'T involve "Vikings" would be great, or if that's our only option at least make some that are historic, such as Sicilians.

I think CK2 got the shaft because of EU4's AoW release. At this point, I think it's safe to say that Charlemagne shouldn't have been announced as early as it was and that it needed another one to two weeks of dev time to iron things out. However, that would've meant that Charlemagne and AoW would have launched the same week. Also, it just me, or did Charlemagne have the fewest dev diaries? Pretty sure even SoA, which was quite small, received at least five.

I'm fine with the CM release and I don't mind a couple of weeks of bugs. It's inevitable with any software release on this scale. But the lack of dev diaries (and rather thin ones when they appeared) in favor of disorganized "Let's Play" style videos concerned me. It gave the impression that this expansion wasn't being taken very seriously. Though I'm still happy with the end result overall.

You'd think there'd be events for the Khazars to possibly become Jewish, or Moravia to be able to form Great Moravia, a Scottish melting pot that isn't some ridiculous "Scots are Vikings who took over Pictland!" nonsense, in fact some melting pots that DON'T involve "Vikings" would be great, or if that's our only option at least make some that are historic, such as Sicilians.

1303801278512.png

Well I guess I am lucky enough to have only wanted the new cultures.. I never bought Charlemagne because of the cost. I just got the garbs DLC and that was it. I am loving the new cultures, playing as the Picts in my current playthrough is definitely new. But yeah I guess I should hold off on Charlemagne until the bugs are fixed?

Hows "Norse/Anglo-Saxons ruling Picts turns Picts into Picts" and most of the new cultures all being armies of Smiths working out for you? Also copy-pasted culture name files don't make the new cultures "new" besides a name and color change. At least Paradox realized that Frisians =/= Dutch, which is an amazing development all things considered.

Ahh, all those delicious, flambéed nerd tears. MMO launches are the best. And it didn't stop in 2010 either, oh no. ESO is a prime example of a true s**tstorm of anger.

That is so true...That game was just bad and it should not even be considered a Elder scrolls game since that is how bad it still is. Still the game is so bad that I know a community that went in with 1k people ( yes they are large ) and now down to 300 or so and dropping. That is how bad the game is because well it was pretty much a beta game and released way to early by people that were banking on the name and not what it meant to play a elder scrolls game.

This is the only release that I cant acually play from the day it launched. Since The main features of this Dlc are broken and When you want to play as a Eastern Roman empire you kinda need things to be working. So that is a major problem for me now.. Since I cant really play the game until its fixed. ROI had its endless Revolt problem but i could still play it... This I cant play

The most obvious of bugs manage to make it into release, some of them so obvious that the only way they could have been missed (like the game not working on Linux) is if QA basically did nothing before release.

You act like there's just one OS called "Linux" instead of a nightmare mishmash of god knows how many distros. CK2 probably works fine on some Linux boxes and not at all on others. Linux users should just get down on their knees and thank PDS that the game ever runs on Linux at all.