• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Drukaris

First Lieutenant
48 Badges
Oct 12, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Majesty 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Knights of Honor
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
i'm the wendish emperor - agnatic/cognatic elective
i'm the king of lithuania - agnatic/cognatic elective
my only duchy/demesne is the duchy of lithuania - and that's somehow primogeniture

i can't change duchy inheritance law for my own demesne, it only shows kingdom and emperor level laws
also i never changed anything to be primogeniture

has it maybe something to do with my demesne being de facto the duchy of samogitia and duchy of lithuania while my capital is in the samogitia part?

please tell me i can fix this - my dumb "soon to be" 0 diplomacy 13 intrigue brother gets ALL my duke titles o_O

If a dynasty member is winning the election, they should get the desmense and duchies. Sounds like you are about to lose the election.

my preferred heir is winning the king election and loosing the emperor election
when nothing changes a vassal becomes emperor, me (player character heir) becomes king of lithuania and my brother gets the high chiefdom/entire demesne - i'd be king but have no land at all

edit

main point is my duchy has a different law than my other two titles (king, emperor)
first, that should not be the case
second, i never set anything to primogeniture or even changed duchy laws at all (by default it was gravelkind elective)
third, can't change the law for duchies now

Save, reboot, and reload.

tried that, didn't work

Last edited:
I do believe that this is a part of the De Jure and De Facto speration you have.

Last I checked, if your titles are all De Jure, then your inheritance law should "trickle down" all the way.

If the titles you hold are outside of your De Jure territory, and it's not a primary title, it's going to copy the succession law of whatever the De Jure title above it is (if it exists), otherwise it would default to standard Gavelkind, unless it was changed prior and the title destroyed.

I do believe that this is a part of the De Jure and De Facto speration you have.

Last I checked, if your titles are all De Jure, then your inheritance law should "trickle down" all the way.

If the titles you hold are outside of your De Jure territory, and it's not a primary title, it's going to copy the succession law of whatever the De Jure title above it is (if it exists), otherwise it would default to standard Gavelkind, unless it was changed prior and the title destroyed.
d_lithuania should be under k_lithuania though, and inherit the laws from there.

has it maybe something to do with my demesne being de facto the duchy of samogitia and duchy of lithuania while my capital is in the samogitia part?

d_lithuania should be under k_lithuania though, and inherit the laws from there.
It looks like some drift might've happened.

I believe it has something to do with how elective succession works. A while back in the HRE. Elective succession would cause the current ruling emperor to lose almost all his titles except for a few counties if his dynasty did not win the next election. To rectify this paradox changed how elective worked. If your top tier title was elective then you would retain all lower tier titles as long as they themselves are not elective. Since e_wendish_empire and k_lithuania are both elective the game sets the duchy below Lithuania to primogeniture in order to ensure that if the dynasty in power loses the election, they will not simply become landless and fade into obscurity.

If you want to maintain some sort of elective succession while allowing your chosen heir to inherit all your titles, then switch to tanistry. If that's not feasible or possible then you will just have to either accept your vassals preferred heir, not your chosen one, or switch to gavelkind/primogeniture.

This is just how elective works. If your primary title is elective and you lose it to a non-dynasty member, all of your counties and duchies inherit according to agnatic-cognatic primo, regardless of whether you have a kingdom title (or even a secondary empire title). It's why you shouldn't have multiple elective titles, and why you shouldn't hold kingdoms that are not agnatic-cognatic primogeniture while you have an empire that is elective.

@Admiral_Obvious
no, that's not it - i created samogitia to have everything i own "de jure" and it didn't solve anything

yes that's what i was thinking too
but according to @Boodas and @faiuwle (thx for the info) my duchy succession law CHANGES from day to day depending on how the election of my primary title is coming along ...
if that is true, that's some serious bullshit

"eenie meenie miney mo - duke of the demesne? today, it's you!" :rolleyes:

edit

ok that's really how it works. now that my preferred heir is going to be elected emperor, law for my duchy suddenly is elective and not primogeniture anymore - ridiculous!

and even better, primogeniture is not even a valid succession law since i have no late or imperial administration

at the very least duchy law should revert to regular gravelkind. but even then i don't see why the ruler shouldn't be able to change duchy law

update

wow, now the high chiefs of the kingdom of lithuania all vote for a guy that they barely like (highest 28), despite all of them having a high opinion of me (lowest is 68)

elective monarchy is just a mess

Last edited:
Reactions: