• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Recently, I started playing as Cumania in modern- day Ukraine and Russia. This was me in 936:

936 AD.jpg

I am the light beige- coloured empire in Russia. As you can see much has changed. I have an alliance with the powerful Seljuks to the South (Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan) and I intend to expand into European Russia. However, as you can see, I have to deal with the powerful Ikshidid Empire in the Middle East.

If you like, I'll keep you updated and see if I can beat my Jimena Empire.

Any ideas about what I can do as the Empire of Tartaria?

you dont understand by purge i mean i got rid of every one including mayors bishops and even courtiers i got rid of all my family as well as the tyrant modifier wastoo high and they all kept trying to murder me all that is left of my dynasty is myself and one halfbrother who is currently impisoned under house arrrest so he doent die quickly i need to know what exactly to give out like kingdom of egypt etc people keep telling me they dont know my playsyle so they cant advise me. im a noob i dont have a playstyle ineed someone to hold my hand and walk me through this im not playing on ironman mode so i can chande things as i like

Any ideas about what I can do as the Empire of Tartaria?
If you have JD, the silk road can be extremely profitable. But you will need to keep hordes on each trade post, otherwise raiders will almost-instantly destroy them.

The person who inherited all that must have been having constant headaches. How on Earth did you manage to control that... without cheats?
Constant civil wars. I had over 100000 pikes in my retinue, so I could put things down hard, but part of why I didn't reach the whole Roman Empire was the civil wars. Also I had defensive pacts on and was hovering at 100% threat always. The hardest part of a civil war was that I kept my capitol in Venice, so any time someone sieged it I had to get creative to not lose all my retinue.

Making king mayor vassals helped, but that isn't really an option for feudal realms. Having king vassal as an emperor is a two edged sword: you have less vassal to keep happy, but they are stronger than dukes. King mayors don't split their realms nearly as often as feudal kings,

Probably a third of my vassal were my relatives. That didn't help much when they were feudal and had a different culture, but it made it easy to find decent heirs for me.

I generally kept an eye on the factions page and parked my counselor on anyone who looked powerful and was in a faction. Or I would start a war by imprisoning a faction leader when I knew I could win.

Boats. Oh so many boats. It is almost trivial to win a civil war if you are in a coast dominated area with proper seamanship. Greece or Britain are the most coastal empires, but other places can benefit from sea lifting troops away from large enemy armies or quickly gathering your army together.

Constant civil wars. I had over 100000 pikes in my retinue, so I could put things down hard, but part of why I didn't reach the whole Roman Empire was the civil wars. Also I had defensive pacts on and was hovering at 100% threat always. The hardest part of a civil war was that I kept my capitol in Venice, so any time someone sieged it I had to get creative to not lose all my retinue.
Boats. Oh so many boats. It is almost trivial to win a civil war if you are in a coast dominated area with proper seamanship. Greece or Britain are the most coastal empires, but other places can benefit from sea lifting troops away from large enemy armies or quickly gathering your army together.
Honestly, civil wars are really easy if you pay some attention to how warscore is calculated. Beeline for the enemy faction leader's capital, siege it down, then prioritise his demesne, then prioritise his vassals' demesnes. If you get really lucky, you'll capture his heir from the capital siege, for 50% warscore. At the same time, try to wipe out his levies before they can unite. Avoid raising your personal levies if possible, particularly in your capital: the super-sized garrison will significantly slow down any AI siege (giving your main army time to return), and you can instantly raise a very large army from the nearby counties (to immediately destroy any small- or medium-sized AI army).

Reactions:
Honestly, civil wars are really easy if you pay some attention to how warscore is calculated. Beeline for the enemy faction leader's capital, siege it down, then prioritise his demesne, then prioritise his vassals' demesnes. If you get really lucky, you'll capture his heir from the capital siege, for 50% warscore. At the same time, try to wipe out his levies before they can unite. Avoid raising your personal levies if possible, particularly in your capital: the super-sized garrison will significantly slow down any AI siege (giving your main army time to return), and you can instantly raise a very large army from the nearby counties (to immediately destroy any small- or medium-sized AI army).
I tried to leave my capital county's levies unraised, especially when playing as Venice, because your personal levies always raise at full morale and in the territory. So if someone is seiging Venice I can have my massive army landing (which will only have 50% morale) on top of a battle that my local levy (boosted by my family palace's levy) started on land. The biggest problem is that if you can't outnumber the attackers by almost 2-to-1 you run the risk of all of your retinues involved evaporating if you lose. On the other hand, if they brought retinues and you win then those retinues are gone for good.

I tried to leave my capital county's levies unraised, especially when playing as Venice, because your personal levies always raise at full morale and in the territory. So if someone is seiging Venice I can have my massive army landing (which will only have 50% morale) on top of a battle that my local levy (boosted by my family palace's levy) started on land. The biggest problem is that if you can't outnumber the attackers by almost 2-to-1 you run the risk of all of your retinues involved evaporating if you lose. On the other hand, if they brought retinues and you win then those retinues are gone for good.
Yeah, 1-county islands make for odd strategies. I personally would prefer to keep my retinues elsewhere (ie. ship thrm out immediately after creation), because they are expensive and stationing them on an island makes it very easy to accidentally lose them. Much better IMO to let the enemy land then boat-bomb them.

I suppose being an MR might also make it a bit more difficult to get to the magic fort level 6 that prevents assaults. (IE: That gives you a lot more time to bring in a relieving army.)