• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bracia

Private
Jul 15, 2021
Hello, everyone.

Around three months ago I only just started to play CK2 and I made the greatest empire I have ever made on any of my games. I would like to see if you have an empire that can top it. My empire was the Byzantine Empire, though much expanded. I eventually just called it the Jimena Empire, after it's ruling dynasty. I'd love to see if any of you out there could challenge it.

I used no cheats in making it and it was VERY HARD WORK!

If you look on the map, you can see that the Holy Roman Empire got to be very powerful as did the mighty Paramara Empire in India and Persia. By this point the Mongol hordes were becoming less of a threat (the year was 1350; it's greatest extent)

However, no one dared to challenge my empire. I had 300,000 men from my vassals and demesne combined with a standing army of around 100,000 and I had the ability to hire a mercenary army maybe around 50,000 to 60,000 strong. I had forts throughout the entire empire and a mixture of sheer force (Tywin Lannister style) and expert handling on the part of my Emperors and Empresses kept it all ticking over.

Unfortunately, all things must end...
There was no untimely destruction or disintegration, the end came very simply... the game end happened.

This is my empire (it's the big purple mass):
Jimena Empire (1350- greatest extent).jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Nice!

But a word of warning: There are maps of byzantine purple covering everything but the water, so some people may be rather ... unimpressed :/

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Nice!

But a word of warning: There are maps of byzantine purple covering everything but the water, so some people may be rather ... unimpressed :/
Even leaving aside the world conquests, the reformed roman empire gets overpowered CBs on western Europe, and it sounds like OP didn't do any of that.

---

@OP: Don't be disheartened by the fact that a few people have the patience to grind through a world conquest. Building an empire that big is not at all trivial, and neither is holding it all together for a few centuries. The best parts of CK2, for me at least, are the emergent stories - for example: how the Jimena completed the reconquista really early, how they connived their way onto the Byzantine throne, how they reconquered the holy land, how they kept Christendom safe from the Indo-Persian menace.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Even leaving aside the world conquests, the reformed roman empire gets overpowered CBs on western Europe, and it sounds like OP didn't do any of that.

---

@OP: Don't be disheartened by the fact that a few people have the patience to grind through a world conquest. Building an empire that big is not at all trivial, and neither is holding it all together for a few centuries. The best parts of CK2, for me at least, are the emergent stories - for example: how the Jimena completed the reconquista really early, how they connived their way onto the Byzantine throne, how they reconquered the holy land, how they kept Christendom safe from the Indo-Persian menace.
You said holding it together; I had to work immensely hard to make sure it all stayed together and that's a fact! This was in particular after I converted to the Iconoclast faith and imprisoned the Pope!

---

As to just how I got hold of the empire, it was really hard. It was only the ascension of Fronilda I that things got moving. From a tiny Galician kingdom, I reconquered Spain from the Aftasids (who had taken power there). Then I merely had my relatives (including my own daughter) submit to me as their empress. I then took advantage of a Almoravid civil war to take parts of Morocco.

Under William 'The Bold', I conquered Sardinia and Genoa (including the massive amount of land Genoa had in Algeria). His son Connor then used the fact that the Jimena ruler of the Byzantine Empire (third generation ruler, the other two had also been murdered) had been killed by her own husband, who declared himself Emperor of Byzantium, to declare war and take the empire. He died shortly after.

His daughter Fronilda II took the Papacy and Italy before being murdered by her fifth lover (I know!). Her son Evangelos then united the empire under a more peaceful reign.

By 1453, House Jimena was the most powerful family in Europe; with the rulers of the Empire of Byzantium & Hispania, the Empire of Abyssinia, the rulers of the former kingdom of Scotland as well as certain high- ranking elements of the Holy Roman Empire all being of House Jimena.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes... but how easy are they to control?
.....................................................................................
Revolt galore!
There are several highly-effective strategies.

• Elective/eldership + family empire + duchy viceroyalties + selective breeding
  • Stacking "+ vassal opinion" from artifacts/bloodlines/traits
  • Stacking "+ cruel opinion" from artifacts (there is no limit to the number of skulls...) + choose only cruel vassals via viceroyalties
  • Tribal "north korea mode"
  • Nomad + burn the world
Unfortunately, these are all incredibly dull.

The fact you're (probably) not using any of them is what makes holding the empire together impressive.

There was even some crazy dude who did a WC in about 3 years, starting as the Abbassids in 769. I don't really understand how that worked, it was incredibly impressive, but also sounded incredibly tedious.

There was even some crazy dude who did a WC in about 3 years, starting as the Abbassids in 769. I don't really understand how that worked, it was incredibly impressive, but also sounded incredibly tedious.

Was that Peter Ebbesen, or had he sailed into the West by the time CK2 came out? :) I still have fond memories of his classic EU2 AARs.

I think you're referring to jwalche's legendary re-caps of his Abbassid speed runs (all done on Ironman, I believe). His final run from April 2019 is linked below. Yes, it seems tedious, but it was an incredible effort to combine so many exploits into a single game.

Reactions:

• Stacking "+ cruel opinion" from artifacts (there is no limit to the number of skulls...) + choose only cruel vassals via viceroyalties
  • Nomad + burn the world

The fact you're (probably) not using any of them is what makes holding the empire together impressive.

Well, the strategy I used depended upon who was ruling at the time. Under Fronilda I (ruled 1121- 1197), I used diplomacy combined with the overwhelming personality cult that she unwittingly developed. I then used religion and the fact that he was among the last of the 'Old Guard' when her grandson took power. Then the empire became increasingly militarised under William and Connor, which I heavily relied upon. When Fronilda II came upon the scene, I had to resort to fear and sheer power. Things mellowed under her son Evangelos when a system resembling Fronilda I's came into being.

I think you're referring to jwalche's legendary re-caps of his Abbassid speed runs (all done on Ironman, I believe). His final run from April 2019 is linked below. Yes, it seems tedious, but it was an incredible effort to combine so many exploits into a single game.

Wow!

Something very similar has happened in my new game as the Empire of Tartaria. The Ikshidids have become... well- look!!!

The year is 1000 and I have been playing since the 700s. No cheats have been used.
ck2_map_4.jpg

Was that Peter Ebbesen, or had he sailed into the West by the time CK2 came out? :) I still have fond memories of his classic EU2 AARs.

Bracia, nicely done, sounds like a fun game!
It was, though things did often get very hairy, if you know what I mean. Fronilda II made things worse by making herself Pope in all but name!

Here is my final Italia starting as a patrician of Venice in the Charlemagne start.
Italia_realms.png

This was in 2.8, so before the rework of Africa. I had, at some point, reformed the Roman Empire, but eventually decided to use Italia instead. Some time I am going to have to try it again.

Also the culture and religion maps.Italia_religion.pngItalia_culture.png

Starting as 1 county Count, christian Orthodox, 769- That character still took the rest sans England, Scandinavia Mali and the Steppe in his liftime after (Child of Destiny)
db3a22310732cbf07930d448b98aa700.jpg

Starting as 1 county Count, christian Orthodox, 769- That character still took the rest sans England, Scandinavia Mali and the Steppe in his liftime after (Child of Destiny)
Yeah, a player Child of Destiny is super-overpowered. In theory, you could make him/her immortal, which would probably allow a very fast WC.

• Nomad + burn the world

I remember that but I never really followed his thread.

Here is my final Italia starting as a patrician of Venice in the Charlemagne start.
View attachment 740963
This was in 2.8, so before the rework of Africa. I had, at some point, reformed the Roman Empire, but eventually decided to use Italia instead. Some time I am going to have to try it again.

Also the culture and religion maps.View attachment 740962View attachment 740961

The person who inherited all that must have been having constant headaches. How on Earth did you manage to control that... without cheats?

db3a22310732cbf07930d448b98aa700.jpg

It looks like you were trying to partially re- make Alexander the Great's empire and then decided to also partially re- build the Roman Empire too. Just imagine the culture and religion clash in that one!

Very impressive.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Pleas how did you share out the titles I am quite a noob

I did a realm purge and want to give out titles only to vassals of my religion and culture but I read somewhere that it is not advisable to have vassal kings I have all the dlc but I don't know how to give out the titles for realm stability any advice? And all the land is de jure in the empire so how do I go about it i just created the hre and i also added a mod allowing me play till 2021 any help pls.

Well, from what I can see religion is not too much of a problem, as most of your lands are Catholic and by now you've probably converted most of your Islamic subjects to the ways of Christianity. Culture clash happens, of course, that's unavoidable. I very often choose the most loyal and most capable (both are very important) for my court and council.

Unfortunately, you have a very, very large demesne; try giving it to your children. Make sure that your eldest (with whom you really ought to have a good family bond with) has a kingdom of their own. That's what I did with my Jimena Empire; every future ruler would be granted the original kingdom of Galicia. This gives your eldest child responsibility and allows them a hand at ruling before ruling the whole works.

Now, by 'real purge', I think I know what you mean, so I'll go over what I think I can understand from what you've said.

You probably took titles away from those whom hated and wanted to kill you and made them your own. Good. Except now you've got a massive personal realm meaning a massive blow to your popularity. Give out baronies and bishoprics to your children and relatives who like you, to lower your demesne. You could keep many duchies to yourself but this will also lower popularity. Hand them out to your children.

If someone really dislikes you, find out why. If it can be solved, solve it. If not, kill them.

Now, there is a problem in this, however- and that is creating a Roman Empire style regime. I did that under William, Connor and Fronilda II Jimena. IT DID NOT WORK.

The monarch was too highly placed above all else- second only to God. This should not be the case; the monarch ought to be in charge and totally reaffirm your supremacy over your people but DO NOT INSTIGATE A REIGN OF TERROR. I did that and Fronilda II was murdered.

I would try (if you haven't already) building all you can in the capital. This is your greatest asset when it comes to manpower and money and should be a city with full slots like Rome, Alexandria or Marrakesh. I also suggest building forts in all your provinces (once you are able to).

If you go to war, make sure you have enough funds. It is VERY EXPENSIVE!

And when it comes to mercenaries, give them some money and they'll like you more. If they like you enough, they'll probably not turn against you (literally) if you run out of funds.

Remember Cersei Lannister; gold wins wars.

Reactions: