• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Urloc the Great

Colonel
43 Badges
Mar 10, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
I've built some Pike training grounds in my tribal holdings in Italy, but when I wanted to raise the troops, there was only some Light Infantery, Archers and one Heavy Infantery Unit.

Can Tribals just not raise Pike Units? Or is there some modifier that prevents them? I have something around 120% bonus to levies, 4 Mercenary Companies (4x2.5% = 10%) and a malus of 90% for being over the demesne. Even the maluses/mali and rounding down, I should at least get 1 Pike Unit.

You probably need to wait for the levies to fill up. (Eg: You can check the tooltip on the levy size bar for the holding - it'll probably say that you have 0/100 pikes and levies cannot reinforce until the garrison is full, or similar.)

You can test this with the console by: joining a warrior lodge; forcibly advancing yourself to rank 3 or 4; giving yourself 150 currency; and using the "inspire warriors" interaction on the relevant holding.

no reason you shouldnt be able to.

As a note: when you build a troop giving building it increases the garrison by as much as the base levy amount. This means your available levy size drops when you build troop buildings. Levies and garrisons fill pretty slow unless you have your marshall recruiting, so give it a couple years.

As a note: when you build a troop giving building it increases the garrison by as much as the base levy amount. This means your available levy size drops when you build troop buildings. Levies and garrisons fill pretty slow unless you have your marshall recruiting, so give it a couple years.
do the garrisoned units have types like pike, LI HI etc aswell ?

I believe not. (In the "holding" window, the tooltip for the garrison only specifies their size, not their unit type. The same is true for the levies... but the levies are also broken down in more detail by unit type immediately to the right.)

AFAIK, the only occasion where the garrison's unit type matters is when the attacker assaults the holding. And I vaguely remember reading something years ago that, in this situation, the garrison are modelled as if they're all one unit type (probably light infantry, probably with defensive bonuses based on fort level, or something like that).

I believe that the break down matters somewhat. I have seen holdings have some of their levies reinforcing but not others while the garrison was partly reinforced. I am only mostly sure though, so I will have to find time to do some testing.