Can I switch from Feudal to Merchant Republic, if I lose an Feudal Elective election?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Urloc the Great

Colonel
43 Badges
Mar 10, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
Recently stumbled upon this thread https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/byzantine-game-over-because-wife-inherited.1536593/ which made me wonder how the game handles elections and what happens if an election is lost.

I had this idea for how to switch from Feudal to Merchant Republic, which goes as follows:
- Give your unlanded rulers brother a coastal City -> County -> Duchy so that he founds a Merchant Republic
- Don't have any offspring/heirs
- Lose the election to a non-dynastic vassal

In my head I would switch to the Merchant Republic of the brother after the death of the ruler.

Would that work? It's not in the wiki (https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Government#Inheritance), at least not the method I thought up in my head, so I'm worried I would just get a game over if my ruler would die instead of playing a Merchant Republic.

My understanding of this strategy is that it's possible in some circumstances - ie. it's not very reliable and not easily reproducible.

If you want to switch from feudal to MR without using the console (eg. in ironman), I suggest you go feudal -> tribal -> MR. This is relatively easy to set up and it's completely reliable. (Feudal -> tribal by ensuring your heir is tribal and of the same tier as you. After you die, you play as your heir and you are tribal, so you can settle as MR.)

Ok, so I tried it out and set up two Merchant Republics of my dynasty in my kingdom and made the succession of my kingdom Feudal Elective. However I was getting the game over on character death warning. And when my ruler died it was game over. No switching to other landed dynasts, no switching of governemnt type. Just game over.

I even had an other brother of my dynasty as a Count of a County and yet still I got a game over.

Feudal Elective must be more complex than I thought.

you no longer switch to different characters of your dynasty after loosing your titles. you used to be able to in previous versions, but for unknown reasons they removed it