• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Austregisel

Admiral of the Fleet
55 Badges
Jan 15, 2016
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
My empire is like this, when is the best time to stop having viceroyalty duchies and having viceroyalty kingdom? Number of vassals is already at maximum and I regularly need to give around 3 duchies for each vassal.

20191101142238_1.jpg

How many kingdoms do you personally own? I’d consider shifting to viceroyal kingdoms once all your vassals are viceroy Kings anyway, with no dukes

Personally, I no longer downgrade the viceroyalty law under any circumstances. Duke-viceroys are far too useful to give up, and there is almost no downside.

With viceroyal duchies, you can still create and distribute viceroyal kingdoms, so it is easy to stay under the vassal limit.

But, if you keep duke-viceroyalties, there are so many extra benefits:
  • King-viceroys are able to give out duke-viceroyalties if they inherit them due to the current holder dying. (This was not the case in earlier patches - at the time, this was a good argument for downgrading.)
  • If all of your duke-level vassals are viceroys, it's harder for them to grow in power through marriage and inheritance. (And easier for you to break them up: revoke them back to count, demand gavelkind, give the viceroyalty to someone else in the duchy.)
  • If a king-viceroy dies, you have the option to revoke and rearrange any/all of his duke-viceroys before reissuing the king-viceroyalty.
  • It is also sometimes useful to be able to grant duke-viceroyalties to a king-viceroy - eg. in borderlands where you haven't yet been able to form the kingdom, or if you want to drift a duchy into a kingdom for some reason (eg. I often drift Cilicia into Armenia so that Armenia has a coastline).
  • Some kingdoms are very large with lots of duchies. A king-viceroy from this kingdom would be very powerful. Perhaps, for this kingdom, it'd be better to have lots of duke-viceroys rather than one king-viceroy?
  • In some circumstances (eg. election loss, "wants your title", "too many elector titles held"), it might be better if the kingdom(s) containing your demesne don't exist. In these cases, you'd ideally want the dukes in this kingdom to be viceroys.

Last edited:
Thanks, I thought I would need to pass this law to have exarchs, but I have a problem yet, I gave the Phillistia (jerusalem) exarchate to this person, there were 3 strategos in that region after I gave the exarchs one of them died, and AI turned someone else into Doux, giving him the title to inherit for his children, is AI dumb like that? Should I worry about the strategos titles that go to the exarch and he doesn't give viceroy duchies but normal feudal titles?

Thanks, I thought I would need to pass this law to have exarchs, but I have a problem yet, I gave the Phillistia (jerusalem) exarchate to this person, there were 3 strategos in that region after I gave the exarchs one of them died, and AI turned someone else into Doux, giving him the title to inherit for his children, is AI dumb like that? Should I worry about the strategos titles that go to the exarch and he doesn't give viceroy duchies but normal feudal titles?

I don't think that exarchs (or vassal kings) are permitted to transform duchy-viceroyalties into inheritable-duchies. (At least, I've played as exarchs and vassal kings and I've never been able to do so.)

However, if a title gets created, it is automatically feudal and inheritable. (I think that the same is true of some - but not all - types of usurpation.)

In your case, is it possible that the AI conquered some new land and created/usurped the duchy title?

I rarely use viceroyalties, and i have very few count or higher tiered vassals. And most of them are republics or merchant republics. I suggest you get a nomadic vassal instead and grant him all of your spare counties so you can have all 7 holdings in direct vassalage without being over demesne and vassal limits