• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can you have more fountain of youth and do they "stack"? (like having 5 and un-aging 5 times every 10 years, practicaly being immortal)

You could build more than one, but they do not stack- you can only take the decision once every ten years regardless and only the top liege gets to take the decision.

Beyond you maxing out your buildings and maybe employing your steward to collect tax (which can be huge, like +40-50%, while at risk of raising revolt risk) I'm thinking artifacts that modify tax, as they are added in the second set of maths, and thus make more of an impact on the final number, I know the seamless robe of jesus gives you an increase, but you might want to scour the wiki (also, I don't know if your character has greedy or not, as that is added in the second part as well)

I managed to get it all the way up to 2428.4, seemless robe of jesus included. It was tricky to get this artifact since some random count in mongol empire somehow owned it.

rqieOgL.png

This is the same ruler as on the last screenshot so it didn't even take that much time to get this insane increase. But I don't think it can go much higher than that.

Actually my ruler doesn't have stewardship education and is arbitrary, so I probably could squeeze few extra % of tax. :)

Last edited:
Absolutely brilliant @Castios - thx for smashing my suspicions of what one single county can rake in (which is really the reason why I started my current game), even if this doen't include your family palace ... and even if you have red demonic eyes under your mask! I assume you used the console then to bring in the artifacts? It'll take quite me a while for me to catch up with you as I'm on Ironman, but I'll get there. Until then, this can be my target!

Absolutely brilliant @Castios - thx for smashing my suspicions of what one single county can rake in (which is really the reason why I started my current game), even if this doen't include your family palace ... and even if you have red demonic eyes under your mask! I assume you used the console then to bring in the artifacts? It'll take quite me a while for me to catch up with you as I'm on Ironman, but I'll get there. Until then, this can be my target!

This is ironman game so no console. I searched for person that owns the robe using the character search tool and then I did everything I could to vassalize him which wasn't easy since he was part of huge khanate (the light blue on the map). Then it was just matter of killing his small dynasty so I could inherit the robe myself.

PmMddRt.png

Let me know if you manage to get even higher income in single province. :)

hmm, my current game as I said will take a long time, but I could set up a new game and use the console myself, just to see what can be achieved ... and then call it "purely for research"

@Castios - I'm going to create a new thread as I think we may be getting just a little bit of topic here, but I've had a quick scour of the wiki and my game, and although purely theoretical for now, I think it can be done

Did you get the Architect bloodline that allows for extra infrastructure in the cities?
Let me reiterate, convert to Sunni for the delicious jizya tax boost. Alternatively, the absolute best is probably germanic/suomi w/ their +20% tax artifact + the jizya reform.

EDIT: Low Decadence is a +20% tax bonus that is multiplicative with most other tax boosts, so sunni is best.

Last edited:
Honestly?
All this conversation of Great Harbors and all I can think of is this:
"That's a nice Great Harbor you have here, it would be a REAL shame if someone came and raid it"
- every Norse player ever

Hi there, i didn't want to create a whole new thread so i would like to ask here.
Has the palace great work been "fixed" after the latest patch?
Also i am playing as an African Kanem Kingdom and i am planing to settle as feudal in Tripolitania. Would it be worth it building a great harbor in Tripoli due to the African traid port there, even if i have one castle there and my capital is in Leptis Magna? I would like to build a palace in my capital for RP reasons.

Thank you in advance.

Hi! Do you get benefits from great works even if you build them in your vassals land, or do you need to build them in your own holdings? Thank you!
Some global, some local. Things like levy size, fort level, troops, resistance are province based. Opinion, stats (basically, any character bonuses), tech. points and decisions are global, as well as minor titles.

This is ironman game so no console. I searched for person that owns the robe using the character search tool and then I did everything I could to vassalize him which wasn't easy since he was part of huge khanate (the light blue on the map). Then it was just matter of killing his small dynasty so I could inherit the robe myself.
Let me know if you manage to get even higher income in single province. :)
Hi! How can I search for characters owning artifacts? And even off-topic, do you know if there is a way to look for characters that have a bloodline?

Some global, some local. Things like levy size, fort level, troops, resistance are province based. Opinion, stats (basically, any character bonuses), tech. points and decisions are global, as well as minor titles.
Thank you!

Hi! How can I search for characters owning artifacts? And even off-topic, do you know if there is a way to look for characters that have a bloodline?
There is a ledger for bloodlines. Click on bloodline name in the ledger, it'll show you a founder, click "bloodlines list" for that character, and then click on blood droplet near portrait in bloodlines list.

Gardens are great (mostly for fountain of youth) but I want to say a nice few words about the Great Harbor, and passive percentage buffs for the economic min-maxer

---
Firstly, I'm playing a Merchant Republic (Pisa) and I've put my GH in Messina, which I own - I've put it there because if I put it in Pisa instead I'd be losing it in the election roundabout (as I do NOT want to constantly challenge (I'll explain why)), whereas putting it in Messina I still get the passive buffs, even if I don't get the official ownership. I have also built two barony level cities in Messina - San Marco d'Alunzio & Troina I think they are, both of which I hold in my demesne personally (for those of you who don't use minor baronies, let me teach you the ways of the passive buff). I also have my republic special holding in Messina whenever I am not the doge. Sadly the "A Town Is Born" event has not fired yet, but I still have two features to build on it. When it triggers I will build another city and I will have 5 holdings in one county, all having buffs applied to them.

I thought the family palace is always in the merchant republics capital even if you have your own capital somewhere else. When I have tried to get bonuses from steward and marshal I do not get those bonuses if I put them in my capital county, and only I a put marshal and steward in the republics capital.

Type name of artifact in the same place you search for characters.

There is a ledger for bloodlines. Click on bloodline name in the ledger, it'll show you a founder, click "bloodlines list" for that character, and then click on blood droplet near portrait in bloodlines list.

Thank you very much both of you, that is a big life saver (and time saver) for me!

Alexios I Komnenos coronation speech April 1st 1081 colorized

We will build a wall! A giant wall! A walk so big that the Turks will never, ever take Constantinople! Never! We will build a wall and make the Turks pay for it! We will build a wall and make the Latins pay for it, because lets be honest when Urban II call a crusade he is not sending his best. We will make the Theodosian walls great again! We will make Constantinople great again! And we will make Rome great again!

After playing around a bit with everything, here's my tier list:

OP tier (Build ASAP unless you have a good reason not to):
Great Wall. Only Great Work that can actually straight up beat normal buildings. Something that shouldn't be happening IMO, hence the rating.

Great tier (Build when funds allow):
Garden: The age bonus is good on its own, but also getting nifty plot power bonuses and +.3 health? Excellent.
Palace: Gives a lot of base retinue and the +20% bonus at the end ensures it scales to be useful no matter your size. If you are a rich Merchant Republic this is a good first pick. You'll not need your levies at all.

Okay tier (Build when you have excess cash):
Library: Some of these books you can get are really, really good. Better than most of the rest of the books available IMO. Unfortunately the chance of getting an event to search for one seems low, and you can fail the search.
University: Less stats than the Library but doesn't take up your book slots and is guaranteed to be there as soon as you build it.
Horse Statue: If you make an empire of Horses this is actually a lot of opinion you can add.

Why? tier (not a good idea to build):
Fortress: Great Wall does everything significantly better better.
Great Harbor/Lighthouse/Underground City: Doesn't pay off well. You build Great Works because you have excess money, not to get more money in a hundred years.
Ruler Statue/Mausoleum/Pyramids: A fairly minor opinion bonus is all you're getting here

Worthless tier (you never want these unless you are roleplaying):
Great Temples: Prestige and Piety. Something you don't need by the time you can afford Great Works. Maybe in some weird score run where you conquer the whole world ASAP and then sit around for hundreds of years buildings these...

Anyone know how Health works vs. old age? If you stack enough Gardens, is there a health threshold past which you are immortal? Aside from that, would be amusing to see a character with +100 in all stats from stacking universities.