• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It actually does vanish if you have the game rules set a certain way. Specifically, you need to have enabled the "Supernatural Events" rule or else that option is not available:

Code:
        trigger = {
            NOT = {
                has_game_rule = {
                    name = supernatural_events
                    value = off
                }
 }
My assumption is that @DPS generally plays with that rule off.

Unfortunately, this still doesn't explain it. I play with Supernatural Events on (but turn off Absurd Events).

I don't have Monks and Mystics, could that possibly have something to do with this? Keep in mind that I do get the option to take the "weird" path sometimes, but usually not.

I only get the option to take the "weird" event path about 10% of the time or less. Is there a way to get it more often?

As for RP, I always build the palace in my capital.

the option is only there if you run with the "supernatural events" game rule set to true. if you turn those events off, you can only pick the astronomy event line as scholar

This is an update to my previous post, now that I have had the time to get some screenshots. Admittedly, while I intended to talk only about the Harbor it's becoming a full display of economic power-housing. But that said, I can't see many people building a GH over a different wonder unless they were going to go completely down this Merchant Republic based rabbit-hole regardless. Rather, I do think that the best use of the GH is to buff up this particular full build more than we could already do before the release of Great Works.

-Again the most important thing here is even though I am not the top liege I still get all of the county based modifiers for levies and tax because it's an active great work-

For the record, all holdings in Messina (Messina, San Marco, Troina, Furnari & Cateratti) have Port 4 & Assay Offices (5), Syracuse has Port 4 & Court (4), everywhere else has Port 3 & Court (4) - I'm just waiting for the required tech to spread out, but should only add them up into the 160's/maybe 170's.
CK2 income (breakdown).png

Oh, and as you can see I have also gained a holding from the 'booming' prosperity modifier (Messina, Syracusa, Girgenti & Trapani are booming, while Palermo is somehow still only flourishing), as well as the "A town is born" event to completely fill out the county! (maybe those events should be incompatible with each other?) I have also added another +30% city tax bonus, just for the county of Messina, from the trade route modifier from the business focus, I have a greedy ruler for another +10%, but still no steward tax bonus (he's working on construction times as I'm shifting to building up my levies in Furnari & Cateratti now.
CK2 income (full).png

Considering I only control just de jure Sicily, I think breaking 2,600 income a year is pretty damn good - over 1,200 of which coming in from just the one county (which is our only interest in this thread really)(& I know I can break 3,000 w/ ease (I only have 8/14 trade posts & I have 3 free holding slots which I'm saving for something special (Constantinople - which has another GH funnily enough!))).
Anyway - I'm not necessarily talking of this as a "best great work", but as an incredible strat for a great work - hope people enjoy it - and remember - always pay as little as you possibly can in the way of family dues, sending everyone else to holy orders!

The Great Harbor itself adds:
+10% tax (level 4 great harbor)
+10% tax (Harbor Office)
+5% tax (lighthouse)
+5% tax (road tolls)
+some miscellaneous trade value (your trade zone is probably already in the thousands of value, some small amount more is almost irrelevant)

So lets say +33% tax. This would be applied to a base tax of 46.3 per city for a fully upgraded city. For 5 cities that's looking at an income improvement of 76, or 6.3 ducats a month. With some good stewardship stats you might get 9.5/month.

Meanwhile, cost of a fully upgraded harbor is, what, around 10k-15k ducats? So it will take around 90-135 years to pay off. Though, you also have to take into account construction time. It takes almost a century to complete it, but the individual parts still pay off in roughly 90-135 years, or 110-150 years after you first invest in construction.

IMO it's a bad investment. Better is to just stick with the Great Wall. Even though you are a merchant republic, your cities still benefit from the Great Wall just the same. Indeed you can hold 6 out of 7 of the available holdings and get even more benefit than feudals (since they can't own the cities but you can own the castle).

The Great Harbor itself adds:
+10% tax (level 4 great harbor)
+10% tax (Harbor Office)
+5% tax (lighthouse)
+5% tax (road tolls)
+some miscellaneous trade value (your trade zone is probably already in the thousands of value, some small amount more is almost irrelevant)

So lets say +33% tax. This would be applied to a base tax of 46.3 per city for a fully upgraded city. For 5 cities that's looking at an income improvement of 76, or 6.3 ducats a month. With some good stewardship stats you might get 9.5/month.

Meanwhile, cost of a fully upgraded harbor is, what, around 10k-15k ducats? So it will take around 90-135 years to pay off. Though, you also have to take into account construction time. It takes almost a century to complete it, but the individual parts still pay off in roughly 90-135 years, or 110-150 years after you first invest in construction.

IMO it's a bad investment. Better is to just stick with the Great Wall. Even though you are a merchant republic, your cities still benefit from the Great Wall just the same. Indeed you can hold 6 out of 7 of the available holdings and get even more benefit than feudals (since they can't own the cities but you can own the castle).

For the most part I agree w/ you, & I do think G.Wall is very strong (in fact it's so strong that renders G.Fortress out of the picture, & I could easily do a whole post on that as well if you like) however I want to point a few things out, and with respect, I believe your numbers are off - firstly though, again let me re-iterate my strategy is to add GH to an existing tax strat, not rely on it solely - I'm not worried that it only adds +30% itself, because I have far more modifiers than just that.

Before the numbers though - I agree that trade zone bonus is pretty irrelevant yes, the moment you hit +40% city tax from it you require exponential increases to get further, in my screenshots I'm sitting on +46% but tbh - meh.

Here's a thing: Remember you add tax modifiers twice - once for all the county modifiers and then once again for all the character modifiers, and the important bit is that they stack on top of one another, this means that you can cash in on modifiers and then multiply that again.

Now, numbers. Let's take your 46.3 and I will do the maths twice - once ONLY using the +30.2% modifier from the GH (above), and once with that modifier, plus the 25.6% from my current town infrastructure, and the +46% from TV - and both times with my current character mods (which are stewardship 20 (I think I'm gaining over +85% in the screenshot but I can't check right now so I'll be fair and only add +75%), greedy (+10%) & I have a weeping statue artifact (+5%)). I am also NOT going to include my republic special holding (which is currently also getting the GH buff (so I am hampering myself here)) & I can easily get more modifiers (trade route/councilor tax bonus/other artifacts/more) than just this remember - again, it's part of a full bodied economy, not just a one off.

-----
1st time: Base (annual) tax: 46.3 now +(46.3*0.302)= Tax after 1st modifier: 60.2826 now +(60.2826*(0.75+0.10+.0.05))= Tax after 2nd modifier: 114.536
5* (for 5 cities) tax: 231.5----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------now *5 (for 5 cities): 572.684
/12 (monthly) tax: 19.291---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------now /12 for monthly income: 47.723

This is actually an increase of 28.432 per month, with just the one modifier but as this is only a part of the true economy strat here's the second number crunch:

2nd time: Base tax: 46.3 now +(46.3*(0.302+0.256+0.46)=) = Tax after 1st modifier: 93.4334 now +(93.4334*(0.75+0.10+0.05))= Tax after 2nd modifier: 177.523
5* (for 5 cities) tax: 231.5----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------now *5 (for 5 cities): 887.617
/12 (monthly) tax: 19.291 (all these numbers stay the same of course)------------------------------------------------------------------now /12 for monthly income: 73.968

This is an increase of 54.677 per month
-----

Now, Cost of a fully upgraded GH - 1,900 for stage 1, stages 2,3&4 are each 1000 (before cost modifiers), each feature is 500-600, 8 of them so 4,000-5,200 = 8,900 up to 10,100 (not including cost modifiers, not including monthly cost (and tbh my opinion is that we can write the monthly cost off because it's essentially peanuts and you just wouldn't be building a great work if you couldn't already pay that cost)). Again, I'm going to only use the monthly profits from earlier with this.

Higher limit: 10,100/28.432 = 355.233 months before the cost is paid (29 years, 8 months)
Lower limit: 8,900/28.432 = 313.027 months before the cost is paid (26 years, 2 months)

Higher limit: 10,100/54.677 = 184.721 months before the cost is paid (15 years, 5 months)
Lower limit: 8,900/54.677 = 162.774 months before the cost is paid (13 years, 7 months)

With all respect Less2, this is a far cry from your 100yrs+ to pay off the cost. And with higher modifiers/more modifiers the cost will of course be cleared earlier. So with all respect to the Great walls, the great Harbor is NOT a bad investment, if you don't necessarily want to invest in it I can understand that - this is a very niche strategy, and only applicable for MR's, not feudals. IMO though, with these numbers behind it - the GH is worth it's weight in gold (but, granted it is hard to pick up on it without the complete and utter exploitation of it).

@Ichiban your math is kind of unclear to me, I guess the forum is messing up your formatting.

My understanding is that you are getting +75% from stewardship, +10% greedy, +5% from an artifact. AFAIK those are the only modifiers that apply multiplicatively to your tax bonuses from GH, for a total of +90%. My original calculation assumed a stewardship around +50%.

With a city value of 46.3 per city * .33 (tax bonus) * 1.9 (multiplicative bonuses) * 5 (cities) / 12 (months per year) we get an income increase of 12.1 per month

I'm really not sure how you are getting these numbers. I'm looking ONLY at the increase from having a GH here, not the increase from other modifiers like a high stewardship (which you can have regardless).

@Less2

To be clear - base tax of 46.3, increased by 30.2% (it's probably easier if I write it as "46.3*1.302" instead of how I did in my last post) is 60.2826.
The bonus for stewardship, greedy & whatever artifacts I have is then multiplied on to this new number, so if I now write it as "60.2826*1.9" which is the 114.536

So from that difference of formatting I can see what you're doing wrong - you are multiplying 46.3*0.302 (well, 0.33 in your calculation), in this instance you're actually multiplying a negative multiplier, remember that to multiply a positive multiplier you have to multiply above the number 1
So, instead multiply 46.3*1.302, and then see the equation out

Does that make sense to you?

In terms of the 2nd set of modifiers, I need to double check which set of modifiers the councillor tax bonus goes in, it might be that if it goes into the 2nd set of increases we could push further, but I'm on my work pc so can't check right now.

Last edited:
@Castios

Very nicely done, a tip of my hat to your 1,451 per year, I have a feeling though that we could probably go further still & I think if we add our family palace (which also receives the buffs) & the trade post (which I don't think does but still brings in a teeny amount) we could potentially break the 2,000 barrier ... potentially (& with the console we could probably quite easily mind you)

@Castios

Very nicely done, a tip of my hat to your 1,451 per year, I have a feeling though that we could probably go further still & I think if we add our family palace (which also receives the buffs) & the trade post (which I don't think does but still brings in a teeny amount) we could potentially break the 2,000 barrier ... potentially (& with the console we could probably quite easily mind you)

Possibly. This screenshot is from the year 1237 so I could still get more town upgrades and some random modifiers I don't even know of.

I also tried to get the ownership of the last city but this mayor just refused to plot against me therefore I couldn't get reason for revocation.

@Less2

To be clear - base tax of 46.3, increased by 30.2% (it's probably easier if I write it as "46.3*1.302" instead of how I did in my last post) is 60.2826.
The bonus for stewardship, greedy & whatever artifacts I have is then multiplied on to this new number, so if I now write it as "60.2826*1.9" which is the 114.536

So from that difference of formatting I can see what you're doing wrong - you are multiplying 46.3*0.302 (well, 0.33 in your calculation), in this instance you're actually multiplying a negative multiplier, remember that to multiply a positive multiplier you have to multiply above the number 1
So, instead multiply 46.3*1.302, and then see the equation out

Does that make sense to you?

In terms of the 2nd set of modifiers, I need to double check which set of modifiers the councillor tax bonus goes in, it might be that if it goes into the 2nd set of increases we could push further, but I'm on my work pc so can't check right now.

If we have a 30% increase to a base income of 10, we can do 10 * 1.3 = 13 total ducats - 10 = 3 ducats profit, or just do 10 * 0.3 = 3 ducats profit.

What I think you are doing is lumping in the other modifiers that multiply income (like stewardship) in with your calculation and then not correctly taking them out to find just what the GH gives.

e.g.
Normally: 46.3 (base income) * 1.9 (multiplicative bonuses) = 88 yearly
w/ GH: 46.3 (base) * 1.33 (GH) * 1.9 (mult) = 117 yearly
117 - 88 = 29 yearly profit or 2.4 monthly. This is per city, so x5 = 12 total extra income every month.

Possibly. This screenshot is from the year 1237 so I could still get more town upgrades and some random modifiers I don't even know of.

I also tried to get the ownership of the last city but this mayor just refused to plot against me therefore I couldn't get reason for revocation.

Actually, I think we might have to do it fast, because I saw in the patch notes for the next patch that the town infrastructure bonus is going down from +50% to +40%, but I suppose we could add more artifacts to the second set of multipliers

Actually, I think we might have to do it fast, because I saw in the patch notes for the next patch that the town infrastructure bonus is going down from +50% to +40%, but I suppose we could add more artifacts to the second set of multipliers

What do you mean by town infrastructure?

Oh I see. Then perhaps I should resume my campaign and try to pump this tax even higher. Any suggestions?

Beyond you maxing out your buildings and maybe employing your steward to collect tax (which can be huge, like +40-50%, while at risk of raising revolt risk) I'm thinking artifacts that modify tax, as they are added in the second set of maths, and thus make more of an impact on the final number, I know the seamless robe of jesus gives you an increase, but you might want to scour the wiki (also, I don't know if your character has greedy or not, as that is added in the second part as well)

If we have a 30% increase to a base income of 10, we can do 10 * 1.3 = 13 total ducats - 10 = 3 ducats profit, or just do 10 * 0.3 = 3 ducats profit.

What I think you are doing is lumping in the other modifiers that multiply income (like stewardship) in with your calculation and then not correctly taking them out to find just what the GH gives.

e.g.
Normally: 46.3 (base income) * 1.9 (multiplicative bonuses) = 88 yearly
w/ GH: 46.3 (base) * 1.33 (GH) * 1.9 (mult) = 117 yearly
117 - 88 = 29 yearly profit or 2.4 monthly. This is per city, so x5 = 12 total extra income every month.

Ah, I get what you're saying now. That I haven't done a dry run with no modifiers in the first half, and only the 2nd half multipliers. Fair enough, I'll run that now, and compare it to my numbers from the original post above.

46.3*1(no modifiers) still = 46.3, now *1.9 = 87.97, now *5 (5 cities) = 439.85, now /12 (monthly) = 36.654, so I'm comparing that with my 572.864 (annual) & 47.723 (monthly) (remembering that my GH is 30.2%, not 33%) and that makes the GH equation up by just over 11 per month

Fair enough.

However I will still hold to my belief that GH is worth it, because I've said I wouldn't be going down this route unless I'm fully exploiting cities anyway, and by the time I have fully built the GH up I will be counting everything else in the city as part of my profits, so I will still pay back the cost of the GH pretty damn quickly from my entire income. Exploitation of cities means I will rake in money regardless and the way I still see it is that this is another tool in that huge economic arsenal.