• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
hmm.. Yes as long as all his provinces are still trading in his own cot, or a native cot in which he is the only foreign trader, he might use those 500 ducats better on other things. It will increase the levels of antwerpen. Although another coastal CoT will add another 0.1 colonist pr. year.

hmm.. Yes as long as all his provinces are still trading in his own cot, or a native cot in which he is the only foreign trader, he might use those 500 ducats better on other things. It will increase the levels of antwerpen. Although another coastal CoT will add another 0.1 colonist pr. year.

0.1 per year is only 1 per 10 years, 10 per 100 years, and 40 for entire game. Not much i say. Also building too many COT's may mean losing much value of trading to some small countries.

Whatever if he would get chance to build a COT in america it would not be a bad idea to do it, as COT can be only build if it trades in COT that is not your, so it would mean that he actualy gain someting in such way.

Hi all, loving the advice here. It's great to see the community for EU is strong and quite helpful.

I do control Antwerpen and it's value is at 2000 ducats.

6 merchants IS a full monopoly...

aaand to Laoch. Not sure you should make another tradecenter then. Would mean 6 more merchants you have to keep, and having more merchants out in the world reduces your competechance. So basically, if you make many tradecenters, you could reach a point where you cannot keep a monopoly in them all. So again, only if a significant amount of your provinces trade at someone elses tradecenter..

Also : you will get less money from trade in an overseas province if that trade goes to an overseas tradecenter, than if it goes to a "homecontinent" tradecenter, because of taxreduction due to distant overseas.

Last edited:
6 merchants IS a full monopoly...
If you already have 6 merchants but keep on sending them until there are no foreign merchants in the CoT either, you get all the income from the 'empty' slots as well, which is 14/20 of the total CoT income. The downside is that it needs constant tedious micromanagement, since you have to send the merchants manually, and foreign powers will be sending new ones every single month that you have to compete out again.

So I never, ever bother doing it, but apparently some players think it's worthwhile.

If you already have 6 merchants but keep on sending them until there are no foreign merchants in the CoT either, you get all the income from the 'empty' slots as well, which is 14/20 of the total CoT income. The downside is that it needs constant tedious micromanagement, since you have to send the merchants manually, and foreign powers will be sending new ones every single month that you have to compete out again.

So I never, ever bother doing it, but apparently some players think it's worthwhile.

ohyeah.. dohh! -of course that was what Iwanow meant! I feel relly dumb now! -sorry Iwanow !

From what I've seen you can only realistically get the CoT down to 1 foreign competitor. After that one magically shows up each month. :(

It is quite worth doing if you have very large CoTs and high compete chance such as a high mercantile nation with a single CoT that draws a large chunk of the Americas. At the end of my Cherokee game my trade income was well over 5k/year with just 6 merchants established and no level 5/6 trade buildings (I don't build them because they are too overpowered). The only down side is that the auto-merchant ai cannot be set to do this so you have to manually send them which can be tedious.

From what I've seen you can only realistically get the CoT down to 1 foreign competitor. After that one magically shows up each month. :(

It is quite worth doing if you have very large CoTs and high compete chance such as a high mercantile nation with a single CoT that draws a large chunk of the Americas. At the end of my Cherokee game my trade income was well over 5k/year with just 6 merchants established and no level 5/6 trade buildings (I don't build them because they are too overpowered). The only down side is that the auto-merchant ai cannot be set to do this so you have to manually send them which can be tedious.

Well, he does not if you conquer the world. I think it may be one of the reasons for which some players do WC - just to see that there is no one anymore competing in THEIR COT'S... ;)