• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

admiral drake

Cogito ergo sum
53 Badges
Jun 30, 2003
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
ok since nobody is inclined to gm the next game and we cant seem to deside i will post this thread so we can get started ontime

Gametime will be sunday 14.30-18.30 or 15.00-19.00 to allow Ampo to play with us
files required
http://europa2.ru/Europa/watk scenarios/UMPversion1.21.rar
random events
Roster :

Rules :

Vassalization:

If you get vassalised by a human player you must stay that way for 20 years, unless the overlord chooses to break it. After 20 years the vassal can break vassalage, but must do so by DOWing the overlord, unless otherwise agreed between them and their erstwhile master.

1. Any NAP agreement signed for a duration exceeding 20 years is null for whatever portion extends beyond the 20 year period, meaning that either side can declare it invalid past that point without taint to their honor. This does not prevent from regularly renewing NAP agreements, but at no given time can anybody be sure of the security of a border for decades and decades or even centuries, as often occurs.
2. This makes #1 a little redundant, but now any agreement with clauses that extend for over 20 years can be broken after the 20 year period without a loss of honor.
3. As a vassal :
* You cannot enter any other alliance than that of your overlord, nor start one of your own unless ok'd by your leader(excepting AI that are your vassals).
* You must accept a proposal of TA/MA from your overlord.
* You are not allowed to start any wars without permission of your overlord.
* You cannot give MA to any power without your Overlord's consent.
* You are *not* required to dow someone at the command of your overlord, send him cash at his command, provide troop support, or help him in any other way not included in the five clauses above.

4. The land-naval slider will be reset to 5 between every session. You are allowed to make slider moves, but just be aware that you will lose them at the end of the session.

5. Using certain exploits is forbidden. See below for more details.

* Attacking an enemy fleet with pirates, and attacking with small fleets to hinder an enemy shore landing.
* Releasing one or more vassals during wartime, to hinder an enemy.
* Force-burning of manufactories, i.e. repeated move and halt orders to an
army in a province with a manufactory.
* Using lag to your advantage. This includes (but is not limited to):
Sending lag colonists, building lag fortresses, sending lag missionaries,
using lag diplomats. (The exception is using lag diplomats to send cash).
* Declaring a 'fake' war on a country, with the aim to:
* Increase the stability of the nation you declare war on.
* Change the religion of a protestant or Counter-Reformed-Catholic
nation back to Catholicism before the Edict of Tolerance.
* Exploiting Simultanity: Using the game engine to break a deal, that would
occur simultaneously in the real word. This includes (but is not limited
to) the 'sale' of something in game. A break of any aspect of a deal after the initial exchange, like a refusal to continue to make payments or maintain a monopoly, is ok. However, if a peace deal is made that requires staggered payments or monopoly rights or anything like that, it MUST be honored by the tributary for the duration of the five year truce.
* Converting from Catholiscism to either Counter-reformed-Catholicism or
Protestantism and then switching back to Catholiscism before the Edict
of Tolerance.
* Trading maps with the AI.
* Sending loans to the AI.
* Signing a peace deal with the AI, that bankrupts it in the same day.
* Ceding TPs to reduce Bad Boy.
* Deploying pirates for any reason(the only thing anyone would ever do with pirates are generally against the rules. This is more direct).
* Using MA to deprive another country of supplies without being at war with them
* Using MA to place 1 ship fleets in another country's ports in order to maintain them there for spying without the other person having any way of dislodging them.

8. no exploration with 100 or 100+ ships. Within known seazones avoiding attrition with 100+ ships is allright
9. when pausing the game, communicate with all other players
10. * Breaking a truce, except when the truce is a result of a province swap
deal in game, or when ok'd by both parties. You are not allowed to dow AI alliance members or vassals of
someone you have a truce with.
11. Brandenburg will become Prussia in 1701 no matter what
12. Spanish Bnacrupty events will be slept
13. gold and trade inflation will be added in 1575 and 1650, gold and trade will be added up and for every 500combined income you will gain 1% inflation
14. No claiming DOTF or converting to counter reformed catholicism.
15. No trading maps, period. Asking for MA and using it to explore the others territory is ok, as is sacking the capital for maps.
16. if you DOW a vassal of another player you must dow the overlord. if this isnt possible you must break RM/MA so the other player can dow you without any stabhit.

force peace rule will be added soon gonna review it first

a few things are needed when you post
- preference list for UMP 1419 (top 3 should be fine)
- say if you like to give Fantasia ftg a try this sunday or prefer to start a normal game

a other option would be to give Fantasia a try with everybody this sunday and see if 8+ works, then continiu with FTG UMP when ego converts his mod
he wont do it before we test mp out so this is a option.

Last edited:
Nice, i would like to join. However it might be a problem, cause i will not be here 3th/10th march. But if we could work something out, then this is my preferencelist:

1: England
2: OE
3: Spain

1. France
2. Sweden
3. Spain

I think FTG should be given priority, whether it's Fantasia or even just regular FTG. This upcoming Sunday should be a test to see if it's functional with a larger number of people, then we can plan from there.

I'm in if it's the vanilla map (I'd also GM, if necessary), otherwise probably not.

My preference would depend upon scenario:

1. Ottoman Empire
2. France
3. Muscowy
4. Sweden
5. Anything but Spain

1. Russia
2. France
3. England
4. Austria
5. Sweden
6. Anything but Spain

HOG said:
Anything but Spain

What do you have against the Spaniards, Hoggi darling?

1.) Sweden
2.) England
3.) Spain
4.) Russia

Last edited:
Are you going to join us, Ego?

Sorry dear but you will have to wait for the moment i will bless you all with my presence in-game again.

I really like EU2 but the drama these days is just too much for me, i dont have patience for it anymore (unless it does not involve my person).

Might try it again one of these days in one far, faaaaaaaaaaaaaar away country which almost no one will be able to interact with.

I'd say :

1) Muscovy
2) Some land country over the world. (ie austria, oe, brandeburg, poland)

Ego,

Played them last game.

Drake,

Yeah, but my historical average is 1 Spain/3 Years. It's never been my favorite for two distinct but related reasons. To the best of my recollection, these are my Spains:

~2003, Spain One: Took over somebody else's in the mid-1700s. Strong but massive, with most of the Americas and part of Africa. Constant little colonial invasions during wars coupled with no leaders = micromanagement nightmare. My distaste for Spain is born, based mostly on micromanagement nightmare. BUT game is dominated by France (think it was one of Red's), and during Napoleonic Wars I manage to kill, by feigned retreat/mountains/sea surprises, Lannes, Davout, and Napoleon in that order as each one just falls short of knocking me out, dies, and has to be replaced. So that was fun, and I'm always happy to sub a decent Spain at the very end as a result (I have a very basically Pavlovian mind).

~2004, Spain Two: From beginning, but a Machiavelli game. I roleplay Spain as ultra-Catholic Habsburg monarchy constantly bogged down in the HRE as weak Austrian cousins struggle to survive (thanks to Damo playing Poland). Only highlights in ultra-micromanagement hell (the end has nothing on the beginning) hamstrung by strict rules on Asian COTs: Mindless wars with the OE over North Africa (OE lost to AI Persia, so it wasn't exciting so much as pointless) and Damo's rage when Alba showed up, retook Bohemia, and destroyed the Polish army in the Sudentland. Nothing from this but a sense of what Spain could do without roleplaying and strict rules on Asian COTs.

~2007, Spain Three: From beginning, no restrictions. Spain conquers Italy, the Netherlands, and the Rhineland, completely encircling France and uniting its territories overland. Controls ten ROTW COTs. Hits 1000/month (under somebody else, after I, characteristically, bored-quit) in the first half of the 17th century. Distaste for Spain doubled by how easy it is.

~Sometime in the same period, I played a Spain for the first session or a France for the first session a completely flamed out. Can't remember which one I was, but I fucked it up spectacularly, so should mention it.

2012, Spain Four: First Spain on the new map. So much rust I can hardly move. Bankruptcies. Hilarious AAR bet results in deflation. Spain locks up most of Europe in alliances, ultra-wealthy, still only just manages to beat John's France a few times. Bored-quit. Remember why I really hate playing Spain: Like the OE, built-in opportunities to dominate. Unlike OE, this involves huge amounts of colonizing/exploring. Fun to build alliances, but should break game in first half or prepare for decline, because perma-alliances are unrealistic.

I've probably played Spain less than any other major (real major-England, France, Spain, Austria, Sweden, Russia, OE, toss in Brandenburg; never played Portugal, played Holland and Venice about as often). When EU IV comes, I plan to play every tier one and every tier two country before Spain.

ah so you would be the perfect guy for portugal/holland /venice :huh:

Pff, you speak of Spain as if it was a nightmare.

Yeah sure Spain is easy on some mods. Its very goddamn easy to hit 1000mi on drake's scenario for instance. And if you got funny people playing as France, or with some other major nearby, then its even easier.

I started playing EU2 with Spain and it was love at first sight. It is easily one of my favorite nations. I envy you though, for having the chance of having such awesome neighbours most of the time (when i play Spain, its usually me and someone else versus the wooooorld, but then again, that is the thing with most nations - and that is why you dont see me playing Austria).

perma-alliances are unrealistic

Considerating the Habsburgs lasted in Spain till the 1700's, not really. That is more than half of your game!

But yeah, playing Spain does get boring sometimes and the micromanagement is really annoying as well, sometimes.

Drake, HOG would be the perfect candidate for Austria. I wonder why he picked France as 2nd choice, since that involves boring colonization. :p

Ego,

The 1000/month was vanilla map 1520. Spain is easy even in poorer scenarios.

And that Spain was versus the world, although usually I manage to avoid that sort of thing for a long time. Spain is much easier diplomatically than France or Austria, and even than England (first half) and the OE (second half, unless there are full strength random admirals).

As for perma-alliances, I don't mean "unrealistic" as in "ahistorical." I mean that it's unrealistic to build perma-alliances in a game that lasts four months. It stops being fun (for everybody, even the dominant power). The best thing to do is to try to break the game, as I used to try to break the game by 1650 with the OE. It just makes much more sense for the Ottomans, scourge of Christendom, than it does for Spain. And, of course, it's easier with the Ottomans, both to break the game and to remain dominant to the end without breaking the game, especially with no Beys rule and random leaders.

Austria was my favorite country for a long time, for the reason you mention, and probably still is. But I played it to death in the old days and felt I'd more or less done everything one could do with it (conventional Austo-Hungary fighting France over the Rhineland and N. Italy; Austro-Italy leaving Hungary to the OE (this was before the PEs enriched Hungary); Habsburgs United fighting for Christendom against very strong Protestants and OE; united HRE; colonial Austria with a strongish navy, COTs and high trade income; etc.). My last Austria, I believe, was in our 1337 game with a weak OE, compliant Venice, strong France and Drake strong in something or other (Russia, maybe?). It stretched from Thrace to Frisia and from Provence to Krakow (but not Estonia-that's why I think Drake was Russia :D). I guess that sort of blew Austria for me. The same way I have a hard time playing England since Frengland or France since Fritaly.

For years and years, back when I was any good, nobody ever let me play France. I suppose that's why I didn't wring all the juice out of it. Same with Spain (not that I had to be forbidden from playing Spain) and the OE. During the middle period, the OE was my favorite country because it has such versatility and can get into the action right off, but because I didn't get to play it so often I still have great enthusiasm for it, especially from a 1492 or 1453 (except that the latter date really calls for Asia off-limits rules).

Now, I would say my favorite country is Brandenburg. My all-time favorite game remains CQS II: Dave Lifford was France and I was the OE. Drew provided "back up" as the Mughals. Together, we were the Super Friends, fighting continuously for two hundred years against Drake's England, Shigure's Spain, Temujin's Austria, NAP's Portugal, Dane's Russia, Elijah's Sweden (or Bocaj's? or TAF's? wasn't Tom in CQS II? maybe we had a Holland), and Self Parody's (or TPC's) Brandenburg, the Circumference of Evil. But that game was magical for a variety of reasons, and in the end I lost twice (OE was eventually broken in Asia and economically surpassed by England; Self-Parody left and I switched to BB with Drew switching to the OE and BB was creamed; Dave had to watch his newborn in the last session and asked me to play Napoleonic France, though, which led to the only time I've actually invaded Russia with Napoleon). My favorite game as a matter of my own experience in my own country was Thirst for Glory, taking over a pitiful Brandenburg in the 1690s and building it up (with no small help from Drake's immensely powerful Britain) into Germany against John's Austria, Dago's OE, CF's France, Tem's Russia, HAL's Spain (with Spanish Poland, of course), and somebody or other's Sweden. Constant warfare. Alliance-shifting. Great fun.

The only problem is that BB is really best when you get it exactly like that-weak but with some options around 1700. From the beginning, it's either boring and treacherous or pseudo-Austria.

So might as well play Austria again, I suppose, as I would if this were only vanilla...

we are missing a few people it seems tho if hg can be convinced to play 1419 ump as a landpower we can probaly do
eng/spa/fra/bb/aus/swe/rus/ottos if we find 1more and anything else i consider optional

what we really miss in preferences is another landpower tho
so far we can make a roster somewhat like this
ENG Krizs
FRA TC
SPA Ampo
BB HG ?
AUS Pepsi/HG ?
SWE Delian
RUS Pepsi ?
TUR Drake

if john would show up mayby he can play aus/bb and we would have a fairly good basic roster
aladar showing up would be nice but i think he is stil angry

Why such hatred for vanilla?

All our best games were vanilla.