• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wait what? A Doukas is still on the Throne of Ceasars? And he's competent? Amazing. I've never seen the Empire hold together long enough for that to happen. Always falls apart with good old bald Micheal.

It's good that the Seljuks are weak. Nobody wants the Turks to run around conquering Constantinople again.

fr-31-tl.gif

The de Toulouse Household And Court

ScreenSave0-1.jpg

Felip de Toulouse is the Family’s new patriarch with the death of his father Guihem. He is by no means a young man and is already very set in his ways as far as ruling goes. He was at the forefront of his father’s campaigns in both the crusades and against other foes, serving as the Duke’s marshal for many years and proving himself as a solid tactician and powerful warrior. He was rewarded generously with tracts of land in Catalonia when Guihem launched his attacks against the Muslim occupiers there and he continues to manage them from his seat in Toulouse. He is an unexceptional administrator and his mind, while not remarkable, possesses a certain cunning that has enabled him to survive well enough in court intrigues. Personality wise, Felip is a no nonsense man devoted to getting things done by whatever means are necessary. He never forgets a grudge and looks on nearly all but his closest confidants with suspicion and haughtiness. Serving women have also learned to fear his amorous attentions but as of yet he is without acknowledged bastards.

ScreenSave2_thumb.jpg

Margarita Jimenez is Felip’s wife of over twenty years and stands in the court as a skilled but not spectacular woman. She is the older sister of the current King of Castille and her marriage was planned by her parents to ensure the point that Castilian interest would be given significant sway in the Toulousian court. Although she does not participate directly with the day to day running of the duchy, she has been well educated and continues to give advice to her husband when he deigns to listen to her. She is known in the court as a woman of her word and generally a pleasant individual to hold a conversation with as well as one of the only persons that Duke Felip feels at least a little at ease around.

ScreenSave3_thumb.jpg

Aimeric de Toulouse is the oldest son of Felip and Margarita as well as the current Count of Barcelona. Though he has inherited his father’s suspicious nature and proud attitude, he is more of a schemer than his father and his military prowess suffers for it. Still, he seems quite capable in his own right and it will be interesting to see how holding a powerful fief like Barcelona molds his personality further.

ScreenSave4_thumb.jpg

Oton de Toulouse has followed his father’s footsteps in becoming a man of the battlefield. His tactics and strategy are really second to none and it is only a matter of time before Felip takes advantage of his son’s abilities by proclaiming him the nation’s marshal. While he has yet to see large scale battle personally, he has mastered the logistics and planning aspects of warfare to a high degree in his studies and experience as a squire. His personality is defined by both his sense of justice and fairness in war as well as his devotion to keeping his own emotions under check both on the battlefield and in court.

ScreenSave5_thumb.jpg

Arnaud de Toulouse is the third eldest of the Duke’s children and he is not very likely to inherit much besides good looks. This is certainly for the best considering that his cruelty and selfish nature have earned him very few admirers among the power circles at court. Even though he is quite skillful in many of the aspects needed for a decent ruler, he is likely to be tucked into a small insignificant county should one become available.

ScreenSave6_thumb.jpg

Alfonso de Toulouse takes after his mother in looks more than any of the other children of the Duke. The same cannot be said of the child’s mannerisms and he is quite the handful for many of the caretakers in the castle. He is currently fostering with his brother Aimeric in his court in Barcelona.

Now to get into the lands directly held by Felip as he ascends to the title of Toulouse…..
ScreenSave27_thumb.jpg

Toulouse itself is a rich land that is currently undergoing hardship due to crop failure. It is very well developed and serves as a suitable capital for the expanding de Toulouse powerbase.

ScreenSave28_thumb.jpg

Lleida is a march county on the border of the Toulouse duchy and the remaining Muslim territories in Catalonia. The resident population looks on their Occitan cousins as liberators sent from God and the entire area has prospered in the wake of its inclusion into the de Toulouse demesne.

ScreenSave29_thumb.jpg

Empuries has had a troubled past few years as a dysentery outbreak has brought all development and normal activity to a stop. The economy has suffered mightily as a result and it is hoped that the land and its people will soon recover to being able to pay taxes once more.

ScreenSave31_thumb.jpg

Research in Toulouse has kept pace with its neighbors and the various masters of craft are constantly seeking to update their designs to be more efficient.

ScreenSave30_thumb.jpg

The treasury of Toulouse is in good shape with coin and payment in kind constantly arriving from the distant corners of the realm. Taxes on both merchants and the minor nobility are considered higher than normal, but the two groups tolerate the extra expense due to the support the de Toulouse family has shown in constructing court houses and post stations to help the two groups in their business.

ScreenSave32_thumb.jpg

Lastly, the laws of Toulouse have not changed in the half century since Guihem first took over his title. A very balanced set of policies holds sway over the subjects in Toulouse and they are not likely to change unless something drastic were to occur.​

Last edited:
Enewald- Yes, the East is looking pretty good as far as I'm concerned. I like it when the Byzantines are able to hold their own. Thanks for reading!

Tuesday- Seriously, the Doukas' are some of the lamest ducks CK has to offer. I myself was quite surprised that that gene pool was able to get someone even halfway decent to adulthood!

The Seljuks are pretty weak at the moment and the fact that they have a subpar ruler means that they will likely remain that way for at least a little while. Looks like Constantinople will be sticking around for a couple more years:D

I'm torn between which of the two oldest sons that I would like to see inherit the throne, either the unpleasant and fairly mediocre Aimeric or the ridiculously heroic and affable Oton.
Does Aimeric have any sons of his own yet?

Oooh, nice, you have several sons able to inherit! Makes for a more interesting (and less accidental gameover-filled) campaign.

I vote for Aimeric as next Duke of Toulouse. I have a soft spot for intrigue-strong, murderous, assassin-using rulers. He's also got a manly beard, so there's that. I also hope his branch of the family goes Catalan eventually, that might be cool.

Looking forward to the actual game, and seeing where good old vengeful Felipe goes in his reign.

Thanks to all who are still with me here! I've got one more backstory post to complete tonight/tomorrow that will have the advisors as well as the vassals all set to go. Right after that will be some actual gameplay so huzzah!

I personally hope Oton succeeds his father.

One of the first actions Felip carried out when he inherited his titles was to replace nearly all of his father’s courtiers with persons whom he had worked with before in the administration of his own county. The reasons for this were mostly personal; Felip’s habits of roughly snapping at underperforming underlings and then threatening the ruination of their lands and properties took getting used to and his father’s courtiers were not quite ready to tackle the man’s personality.

ScreenSave8_thumb.jpg

Individually, they are a sublimely talented bunch (I really need to tone down the attribute scores a bit and have already made the needed modifications to the events file.).

ScreenSave2_thumb.jpg

Leounora de Auvergne is the wife of Felip’s third child Arnaud and stands as a prodigy in the practice of mediation and negotiation. Shunning the typical path of a young noblewoman, Leounora dedicated herself to education with the monks near her family’s home and became a very worldly and intelligent person from her experience. Her ability was recognized soon after she was married and she was of great help over the last year to Felip before she traveled with her husband to Toulouse. Due to her gender and age, she is often not a person who directly intervenes in matters of state yet her extensive research of the different noble families and their predilections that make up the Toulousian power structure ensure that she is seen as a very valuable advisor.

ScreenSave3_thumb.jpg

Borel de Toulouse is a cousin of Duke Felip and oversees the tax collection and various other matters related to the house expenses. He is the single holdover from Duke Guihem’s time and has adjusted well to the new ruler due to their similar personalities. He is a military man as well, hostile in attitude and furious in seeking retribution but also blessed with a keen mind for accounts and records.

ScreenSave4_thumb.jpg

Oton de Toulouse was his father’s first choice in finding an individual worthy of entrusting military matters to. As his own flesh and blood, Felip considers his son to be the perfect candidate to invest power in without the need for constantly checking his ambition. For his part Oton is ready and willing to take part in keeping Toulouse’s military up to snuff but is not interested in playing the games and schemes common at the highest levels of court.

ScreenSave7_thumb.jpg

Odon de Bearn is an exiled prince from the County of Bearn who has taken up residence within the Toulouse household. When his family’s lands were seized by Jaque d’Aquitaine after Odon’s brother failed to support the Duke in the war with France, Odon fled to the nearest friendly court, that of Guihem de Toulouse. Despite the necessity of war against their mutual liege, Guihem looked down on d’Aquitaine for the multiple instances of seizing vassals land rather than merely putting them in their place and granted Odon a pension and place in court. His skills as a planner of schemes assisted Guihem in the years before his death but it was not until Felip stepped in that the man was brought in on a formal basis to serve as spy master. His bitter years spent in exile have made him deceitful and sometimes capricious in his mood and he is currently quite upset at his new master due to Felip throwing out his plan to further destabilize the Aquitanian regime.

ScreenSave6_thumb.jpg

Odon de Toulouse (This can get confusing I guess) is an almost non-entity in the realm of court politics and serves as Diocese Bishop only due to the fact that there is no other suitable personage available. Felip has never had much use for religion beyond the frontal trappings and has made the point consistently clear to his distant relative that his presence is not needed in any more than the most official capacity. This ill favor has sent to normally well adjusted Odon to the breaking point as he struggles to reconcile his sincere beliefs in the church with his duty to a man that is clearly not the ideal Christian lord.​

Last edited:
A couple responses to your specific comments......

Enewald- But the nobles are the good guys here right? They give me all sorts of nice things like troops to conquer my enemies and taxing them would only make things more difficult right?

Eams- Thank you for the comment! I too like the dynamic that has been set up with the sons of Felip. All of them developed seperately when I had no control over their upbringing (Felip was Count of Provence for awhile and educated his sons on his own). Oton and Aimeric are both interesting in their own right while Arnaud and Alfonso simply seem like brats that are given too long a leash by their father.

As for Aimeric, he is happily married and has a son named Gui, age 1.

Serek- Little Alfonso won't be little for long and we can only speculate as to where he will end up. He does have some powerful brothers ahead of him but when has that stopped anyone before?

Tuesday- Haha! I am glad that you are enjoying the AAR thus far even though there hasn't been much "Action" in it yet. I agree with you about Aimeric for the most part, I usually play my King's like I did Zavie, trying to be nice to everyone. It will be fun to see Aimeric develop through Felip's hopefully long reign into a man capable of holding his own.

Plus, he might have to do away with Oton for taking his beard...

JDMS- Have a soft spot for the nice guy huh? We will have to see what happens and I make no promises. Oton does have a position of power right now but so does Aimeric. Which of them will succedd depends on how the story unfolds! Thanks for the response!

And now a final bit of information before starting the glorious march to victory…. Vassals!

ScreenSave10_thumb.jpg

Rainaud de Toulouse (So many de Toulouse’s to keep straight!) is another cousin of Duke Felip’s that recently inherited the County of Rouegue from his father. He is a mostly talented man and his family relation to the Duke will likely ensure his obedience even if his personal ruling style conflicts with his master’s.

ScreenSave11_thumb.jpg

Plenty has already been said about Aimeric de Toulouse. He is the heir apparent of the entire duchy and possesses one of the most profitable fiefs in the realm currently. It will just be a matter of time before he is either elevated to his father’s position or cast down in some way.

ScreenSave12_thumb.jpg

Adhemar d’Alfaro is a poor, sick, stressed young man who will likely not stay among the living for long. While he lasts, his genial governance and personality will find few allies in the court of the Duke.

ScreenSave17_thumb.jpg

Hugh Trencavel is the scion of one of the more powerful families in the upper Toulousian nobility, Of all the lords that are still adjusting to their new master, Hugh is the one having the most difficult time. This is mostly due to the man’s personal friendship with the late Duke Guihem and his opinion of Felip as a man not truly worthy of maintaining his father’s mantle. Careful diplomacy will be needed to salve these concerns.

ScreenSave13_thumb.jpg

The son of the Count of Carcassonne and next in line to inherit that title, Radulf Trencavel has had little real experience with the world outside courtly circles or the church. It will be interesting to see how this potentially powerful vassal develops his personality further.

ScreenSave14_thumb.jpg

Frederi de Narbonne is an older man with plenty of lived experience behind him. His diplomatic ability Is quite considerable but he Is generally only considered capable in other aspects of rule. He is the Count of one of the newly conquered Catalan territories and seems content in living out his remaining years as a loyal member of the Toulousian high nobility.

ScreenSave15_thumb.jpg

Barnard de Toulouse is what many would consider an ideal lord. He is a powerful warrior known for his skill in tournaments and other mock combats as well as a humble and easy to get along with man personally. Many of these traits conflict with the new Duke’s own character but it would be a startling event to see a man whose word is his law commit to undermine his legitimate liege lord.

ScreenSave16_thumb.jpg

Alfons de Foix is on the cusp of adulthood and seems only just capable of assuming the duties expected of him as a feudal lord. The young man was coddled as a child and thus grew up as a soft sort of adolescent, afraid of the normal pursuits of healthy minded boys his age. In truth, he is but a tool of the courtiers that move behind the scenes in Foix.

ScreenSave18_thumb.jpg

Bartomieu de Chalencon is another difficult vassal for Duke Felip to keep in mind. The de Chalencon family was only recently raised to the title of Provence when the old Duke met his end and the family is still making adjustments to their place in Toulousian politics. It certainly does not help their cause to have the nominal leader of their family be a mediocre man with no interest in martial matters.

ScreenSave8_thumb.jpg

Gerard de Milhaud looks to have a bright future in the eyes of Duke Felip, mostly due to the similar way in which the vassal runs his fiefdom. Gerard is also a military man and considers everyone he is not completely sure of in terms of loyalty in a hostile light. With such compatible personalities, it seems likely that the vassal and lord relationship will remain stable in this case.

ScreenSave9_thumb.jpg

Raolf de Narbonne is a degenerate excuse for a lord that only occupies his position on the sufferance of those around him. He is completely out of tune with his responsibilities as a noble and instead spends all of his time engaged in as many illicit actions as he can manage. With this sort of behavior not at all endearing to the serious minded Felip, it will be interesting to see just how this situation develops.​

Last edited:
Alright folks, A lot of interesting stuff happened during my first gameplay portion of the game! So much in fact that I don't think I will be able to get anything substanitial posted until the holiday here in America has come and passed.

I'm really sorry for the slow pace of everything thus far and promise to have a more regular schedule here in the near future. Please stick with what's going on and I will try my best to keep you from dissapointed!

Alright folks, A lot of interesting stuff happened during my first gameplay portion of the game! So much in fact that I don't think I will be able to get anything substanitial posted until the holiday here in America has come and passed.

I'm really sorry for the slow pace of everything thus far and promise to have a more regular schedule here in the near future. Please stick with what's going on and I will try my best to keep you from dissapointed!

What, do you mean the entire summer? Or am I misunderstanding the holiday you're talking about? Oh, wait, are you talking about the 4th of July?

In any case, take your time. It's an awesome AAR so far, and I look forward to seeing the interesting stuff that has happened in your game.

It's alright. Enjoy the 4th, I certainly will be! :D