• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So... should we start a new Aurora Forum Game, under the illustrious command of the all-knowing Emu?

Or should we wait for Randakar to pick this one up again?

So... should we start a new Aurora Forum Game, under the illustrious command of the all-knowing Emu?

yesyesyesyesyes

I want a Battleship. Or a Death Star.

Okay, skip that and give me a GravSurvey. :)

yesyesyesyesyes

I want a Battleship. Or a Death Star.

I would have thought that you would want to command our first interstellar whore-house. Not kidding. The new version includes a number of important changes, including crew morale... which can be boosted by ensuring that the ship's crews get regular "shore leave", either on a large-population planet or at a designated "comfort facility" which includes a well-staffed recreation module.

So I was thinking that the new game should give the players more involvement with decision-making than the first game that I ran. We could form a Council right from the start of the game, to debate and settle priorities... such as the empire's focus on exploration vs colonization vs consolidation; Naval build-up vs fortification vs infrastructure development (mines, factories, etc); political posture in relation to any other races we encounter; fleet doctrine, tactics and ship design philosophy... that sort of thing. I could also turn over Naval Officer assignment (ie: who gets which ship) to the Navy Minister, Ground Unit assignment to the Army Minister, leave many of the research-queue decisions to the Minister of Technology, leave much of the industrial decision-making in the hands of the Minister of Industry, and so on.

Lately, my favorite game start has been a January 1948 conventional start, using real-world 1940's technology and 1948 population (2.5 billion). That's just a few months after the 1947 Roswell Incident, so it should be obvious which alternate history I have in mind. It does give us a small advantage in that we will be starting with 2.5 billion people on Earth, so our tax income will be higher than usual in the early game. It shouldn't make much difference to the middle-game though.

Thoughts?

If the Council is limited to setting policy then I can make the in-game decisions on the spot, guided by whatever policy they have established. I agree that turn-by-turn decisions should always be made by the player that hosts the game, otherwise it can take (real-life) days or weeks to play a five-minute turn.

Should I start the game up?

if the council is limited to setting policy then i can make the in-game decisions on the spot, guided by whatever policy they have established. I agree that turn-by-turn decisions should always be made by the player that hosts the game, otherwise it can take (real-life) days or weeks to play a five-minute turn.

Should i start the game up?

yes!

If the Council is limited to setting policy then I can make the in-game decisions on the spot, guided by whatever policy they have established. I agree that turn-by-turn decisions should always be made by the player that hosts the game, otherwise it can take (real-life) days or weeks to play a five-minute turn.

Should I start the game up?

The Esteemed Avian Overlord has returned! The von Rabenstranges will follow him and serve The Avian Purpose!

I'm all for a policy setting council, as long as it's just policy.

A 1948 start is fine too, as long as the higher tax is balanced by greater risk as we leave Sol. It does make for a convenient starting point.

Yeah, I think randkar got overloaded with reality for the time being. An interactive game similar to this is fine. A small council to make policy decision is fine. I kinda like how randkar makes the save available after each progression so we can look it over, and make some decisions.

1948 is fine, you can also use SpaceMaster to reduce the taxation amount from the Racial screen to reflect pre-Space era and slowly increase it to reflect rapid technological advancement and application of new technology. After all, the world is recovering from a devastating world war.

Or should we wait for Randakar to pick this one up again?

Feel free.
This was an interim game anyway. As an experiment, it was successful, I think.

If there's a restart, a new game, or whatever else just let me know!

Someone might link to it from this thread, then .. :)