Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Have you played Civilisation IV: Colonisation ?

Yes, I have (Quite recently actually). I like it. Apart from two or three changes I think it's a better game then original Colonization.

"Colonization of the new world" is worse in many aspects but it has superior combat system.

Last edited:
Yes, I have (Quite recently actually). I like it. Apart from two or three changes I think it's a better game then original Colonization.

"Colonization of the new world" is worse in many aspects but it has superior combat system.

I never played the original but found the remake appalling... totally unbalanced (though I understand later patches helped). Anyone ever play CivRome? I found it a bit flavourless.

Is there anyway a forumite could find his or her stats like average time spent on the forum and such things?

Is there anyway a forumite could find his or her stats like average time spent on the forum and such things?

There is really nowhere you (or I) can look for something that detailed. I can tell you the the average time spent on the forum for everyone is about ten minutes. That means most of you who post spend a lot more time here, since users who are not logged in counts towards the average, and they are plenty. For details per person you'd probably need to install an add-on that keeps track of your habits.

Do you really want to know that...? ;)

When Paradox makes a new game, how far do you have to study the history of the period? Do you all have personal expertise in the parts of history you work on as a team, or do you research it yourselves? Do you hire consultants for advice, or is there an in-house History Nerd?

When Paradox makes a new game, how far do you have to study the history of the period? Do you all have personal expertise in the parts of history you work on as a team, or do you research it yourselves? Do you hire consultants for advice, or is there an in-house History Nerd?

I would dare to say that everybody are in-house history Nerds. Some of us more then others ;)

Second Question:

tve11387-19991206-1339.jpg

How come you're so great?

When Paradox makes a new game, how far do you have to study the history of the period?

As long as the time & budget allows :) (plus personal interest and the amount of free time you're willing to add on top)

Do you all have personal expertise in the parts of history you work on as a team

Sometimes, but not always.

or do you research it yourselves?

Many do some research on a project (generally out of personal interest) and some, like me, have it among their official duties.

Do you hire consultants for advice

Nope. We have no Stephen Turnbull.

or is there an in-house History Nerd?

Several, together covering a wide spectra of history, so there's usually someone who's well-read on the subject.

Kansas City would be centrally located.