• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A nice addition really... However those territories are quite empty and as so won't bring you a lot of power...

However you don't need more power as you were able to greatly defeat all the Iberians countries ! Great work !

Yes... you are quickly moving towards over-extension.

Excellent. :cool:

@Ankios: I know they're not great, but it's probably best to get them early while I've got a good shot. Although the Iberians will probably be a pain in my rear through about 75% of this game anyway.

@dinofs: Let it come! The Empress fears no triggered modifiers!

Take an Arabian Sea province quick and let it core, so you can sprint to India in time for tea!

PS: What provinces produce crumpets?

That is an excellent idea and I plan do just that as soon as I can. Sadly the 1500's are just around the corner and there's a whole new world to worry about as well.

What provinces produce crumpets?

I believe that 'Crumpet' production as opposed to natural occurance only kicks in at a very high levels of technology - sometime after Plastics and Advanced Medical techniques. While Crumpet production can occur anywhere California and Brazil have additional modifiers.

It's possible I've misunderstood the question ;)

I believe that 'Crumpet' production as opposed to natural occurance only kicks in at a very high levels of technology - sometime after Plastics and Advanced Medical techniques. While Crumpet production can occur anywhere California and Brazil have additional modifiers.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

California, though? I mean, it's got the song, but little else. :p

While Crumpet production can occur anywhere California and Brazil have additional modifiers.

Crumpets, not strumpets. :cool:

Last edited:
A History of the Empire: Vol. 2
Chapter 9: Spreading Populations and Spreading Faith

Following the war for North Africa, Great Britain gained tremendous prestige and many believed that the growing immigration to Africa would not stop as long as the British upheld the Overseer and Transport Acts. While this was true in part, the acts only stipulated that the British government would support the acts and provide a means for their enforcement. The acts however, did not stipulate that the British government itself was responsible for the acquisition of lands for these incoming nobles and peasants. Ships would dock in North Africa and the peasants, who were more often the victims in this system, would find the ports packed and little opportunity available to them. This problem had persisted on and off for many years. It was only after several small riots and continuing tension between locales and immigrants that the crown authorized the Settlement Acts of 1444, which allowed British citizens to stake claims on new land outside the borders of the Empire. While North Africa itself was not particularly hospitable, peasants were more than happy to be able to move away from their lives of serfdom in exchange for even the poorest land of their own. The process for claiming land was long and arduous, requiring several checks with nearby nobility, along with an agreed contract with Imperial officials stating that the claimants would still belong to the Empire, and that their land would as well. Despite these difficulties, the process picked up, and British borders began to spread.

1stcolonists.jpg

The process was not without its own problems though. The financing of the continued settlement raised many questions in all corners of the Empire. Winston Hawke, a high ranking British diplomat at the time, even went as far as to tell Empress Anne that such a venture would send the Empire into the ground. Anne was not pleased with Hawke and he was put into a long period of imprisonment. While Hawke may have been cast aside, his opinion was none the less quite valid. The British economy of that age was not nearly as strong as modern times and such colonization efforts were quite expensive. Luckily a man named Jeremy Button, of no relation to the rebel, would rise and offer his services to Anne, helping to set up funds and manage the costs of colonization. Within several months, Button had managed to set aside a large backing for colonization efforts, without bringing in unwanted economic effects like inflation. Button himself was a man whom many did not completely trust. It is now believed that he may have been involved romantically with the Empress, who was never married, which may have helped him rise so quickly to power. However, there is currently no concrete proof of such a connection, so the truth remains a mystery.

scandalgasp.jpg

It is during this period of early colonization that Great Britain once again engaged in open conflict with her previous and uneasy ally of Algiers. The war, started in 1444, would be incredibly brief, with little resistance from the weakened Algerian government.

attackingalg2nd.jpg

Within a year the western half of Algeria was brought into British hands.

algpeacingout.jpg

onemorealgwartogo.jpg

During this time period, many of the British elite began to conceptualize the idea of a large overseas empire being used to create a varied and self sustaining economy. Ideas like a complete naval focus and mercantilism begin to gain a strong holding amongst the upper class. These ideas were only catalyzed by rumors of Portuguese ships heading west. The British government attempted a brief push for further investigation, but was thwarted by Pope Alexander the VI, who had begun to demand that conversions in North Africa be sped up. In 1448, two missionaries by the names of Horatio Howe and Guy Cornwallis would take over much of this effort under a joint agreement between the Empress and the Pope. Conversion efforts were long and brutal, and led to many rebellions by Muslim subjects, along with increased agitation on the part of Christians who feared retaliation by their neighbors. During this time, Algiers, the last North African state, save the Egyptian Mamluks, would continue a bitter feud with the Empire, which would end in 1454, when the last remnants of Algiers were annexed into the Empire.

gbalggone.jpg

It's actually been pretty manageable. I don't think I've broke 15 or so yet. Holy Wars combined with a few diplomats here and there have really helped keep it in check.

Very nice progress. Has Portugal reached the New World yet, or was that part just made up? ;)

They're on their way I'd assume. I'm avoiding f12's because I don't want to know all that's going on in the world, but I can infer from the Portuguese ships that they've at least started to take places like the Canary Islands.

Great work. Where do you go now?

A History of the Empire: Vol. 2
Chapter 10: The Age of Exploration

In 1456, Anne’s last major achievement went through. Iceland, an island considered a fringe territory up until this time, was fully incorporated into the Empire. While the people still held their own culture and traditions, English had become common even amongst some of the peasants and local lords were fully in servitude to the Empress. This fact would become immensely important within just a few years.

In 1462, Anne the Conqueror died. Great Britain’s first Empress would be mourned by many across the Empire. Following her death, her cousin Richard took the throne as Richard the IV. Emperor Richard would name his son, also named Richard, as the heir presumptive.

richardson1.jpg

Richard the IV would inherit many of the problems that Anne’s reign had created, namely the problems of North Africa. Revolts were near continuous as Howe and Cornwallis continued conversion efforts, while still fighting nationalists. The Emperor would not falter however. In the years following his rise to the throne, Emperor Richard would help with the continued integration of North Africa via intense funding and small reforms. This period would see some of North Africa, mostly around Tripoli and Tunisia, become fully British possessions, both in a religious and political fashion. Around this time 3 large waves of conversions would succeed and within a few years most of the North Africans accepted Catholicism to some degree.

religion.jpg

Richard the IV’s reign would not be incredibly notable if it wasn’t for his one great policy change. With British settlers moving into uncharted territory, the Emperor had to have some way to monitor the activities of these far off settlements. The Imperial Limits Act, passed in 1466, would be significant in two particular ways. First, it was the earliest known document to refer to Great Britain as “The Empire.” This makes it generally accepted as the formal declaration of the British Empire. Henry the V’s reforms are still considered the beginning of the British Empire by most historians though. The Imperial Limits Act was also incredibly important because it set up two important government agencies: The Northern Dominion Control and the African Dominion Control. Both controls were used to monitor expansion in their appropriate areas.

At its beginning, the Northern Dominion Control, or later known as the American Control, would cover only the territory of Iceland. The control itself was not made in vain though. With Iceland becoming increasing important to the Empire, news of past discoveries excited many. Richard the IV would be one of these people.

qftnw.jpg

In 1468 a man by the name William Albemarle would approach the American Control for permission to lead an expedition west to discover these long forgotten lands. His offer would be accepted. Albemarle would initially discover only the open seas of the north Atlantic, but he would have one successful mission. In 1471, he left port in Iceland and managed to discover the coasts of Greenland. Some of his ships would head back in order to report these finds. He and a few of his ships would continue their journey west. Sadly, Albemarle would perish during this journey. His fate remains unknown. His findings would lead to incredible interest in colonization efforts to the west and Greenland would be colonized within the decade. The Emperor himself would free some of the serfs and peasants for this colonization effort to raise interest.

serfspissed.jpg

While progress west would begin to flourish, Africa would not be neglected. The African Control would begin to set up scouting missions to survey nearby lands. During the late 1460’s they managed to gain some knowledge of two large tribes along the coast of Africa: the Mali and the Ashanti. The Ashanti did not pay much heed to their British neighbors, but the Mali were almost instantly aggressive.

In 1471, the African Control would appeal to the Emperor for a declaration of war against the Mali and proposed their incorporation into the Empire. Hostilities would break out before official approval was given, but the Emperor agreed regardless.

attackmali.jpg

The Mali tribe was in no way comparable to the more modern British forces, and was quickly defeated. The small coastal tribe was added into the Empire and the African Control immediately began operations in the area.

gbaftermali.jpg

So are you going for complete control of Africa?