• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I had more in mind that I was literally thinking my next step over for several days before starting :)

F5 is not that simple and not that common, as I make saves 1/in-game month and have time to play 1/RL month ;)

Please also refer to my response to Ikarases several months ago :D I usually replay only in those cases when I play late into the night and do stuff without thinking much and on max speed. Then I feel that it is not worth all the effort I have already put into this game, and try to do better once more. And it does not work for the best every time either :D

So I assure you - what will come next, is my first try, as it was. :)

Umm, excuse me but....
What on earth are you talking about?
F5 is the key to refresh the page on most computers. johh was making a joke about how much he wanted an update.

Umm, excuse me but....
What on earth are you talking about?
F5 is the key to refresh the page on most computers. johh was making a joke about how much he wanted an update.

:D:D:D

Me an my assumptions :D It's a sure miss every time, and now I made an a** of myself :D

Yeah, I got it, just a little late, tough day, it seems.. Sorry about that, just don't pay any attention. :)

Aaaaand, to top it off - here is an update:)

Last edited:
The Spirit of Victory. December, 1943 - January, 1944
The Spirit of Victory. December, 1943 - January, 1944

We reached Vrasa just behind the Bulgarian troops, promptly to be attacked by some Romanian mountaineers on December 8. Later that night, our Marines were attacked further south, at Kyustendil, by another German infantry division.

I7iwfSK.png

Even though the battle soon ended with victory, it was not the last time this town would see a battle that month. December 8, 1943.

Apparently, our commanders were busy at that time working on a broader picture. With the events unfolding rapidly on all ends of the front, intelligence information was received confirming our suspicions that Axis command was caught off-guard by Bulgarian reverse in allegiance, and their forces were disoriented and poorly commanded for the time being, even more than we were - there where German units belonging to Armies from all possible theatres - East, Central and West, troops under Romanian, Yugoslavian command, and even divisions under direct command of OKW, like that Waffen SS division we just had a brutal fight with.

The plan devised was quite bold and opportunistic in my opinion, when I heard of it first on the evening of December 10 - but this perhaps was to do with the fact that our division was at the spearhead of the whole operation, and noone could guarantee any rate of success of our manoeuvre.

To help us with it, the commander of the Balkan front finally agreed to release our volunteer corps from guard duty in Albania, soon to be replaced by British garrison troops, and they were all shipped to Varna - 19000 men that we could trust.

xJD2HJL.png

Operation 'Air Balloon'. Our optimistic plan for victory. December 16, 1943

The plan seemed to work well at first - Germans seemed to be confused and reluctant to come into the open from their mountain strongholds. Just on the Christmas eve, right after the dusk, coordinated attacks were started all across Bulgaria.

Swe9Dl5.png

Noone was safe that night. December 24, 1943

We attacked the Hungarians in Kazanlak immediately, and, as far as I know, Lithuanian volunteers in Silistria tried to hit the panzer division in Sliven from a flank as well, even though the result of those attacks differed significantly - we routed our enemies within several hours (Hungarians surrendered in several days), while they had to cancel their attack within the next day due to high losses, and almost no damage done to the Germans.

Much bloodier battles were fought further west - Sofia, protected by our undermanned 3rd division 'Zemaitija' could not hold for long the blows by three German divisions, attacking from all sides, and had to retreat on December 28 after losing almost 15% of their men, to be replaced, just in time, by a Royal marine division, led by Gen. Keightley.

By the 29th, however, the Germans from SS-Division had to finally admit that they cannot beat 3 entrenched divisions despite their fanatical fervour - for 5 days 4700 Germans tried to break through 27000 Lithuanians, Brits and Bulgarians, and only after losing more than a third of their men they stopped, and were routed the next day.

The Brits could not hold Sofia either, and by January 5 our 2nd Inf. division took their place in the defence of the Bulgarian capital. Despite a number of flanking attacks, the Germans pushed on block by block, house by house, and by January 10 our guys had to leave the city as well, after the loss of 1300 men, against 1000 Axis troops.

CinuebG.png

Sofia streets after house to house fighting. January 10, 1944

The city was not surrendered, however. Royal marines returned, and combined forces of our and Marine division pushed German infantry out of Berkovica by January 12. There was still the question of cornered SS troops and a panzer division in the mountains of central Bulgaria. Hungry, frozen and angry, they refused to surrender under any conditions offered.

SYrhfu8.png

Despite all Allied efforts, 2800 Germans held their positions for 7 days against 22000 of ours until succumbing, more to the forces of nature, than to our bullets and shells. January 11, 1944

We were totally exhausted. The weather turned worse, with freezing rains and freezing mud, with snowbanks waist deep higher in the mountains. Food was scarce, and we did not expect any better to appear soon. We even fought like we did not care anymore, and most of us didn't. We somehow managed to push another German panzer division away from Vratsa and back to Lom, but it did not seem to matter much - additional Axis forces were coming still, and our ranks were getting thinner by the day.
IcLejFR.png

It was a clear realization - the fate of the war will not be decided in the Balkans. January 20, 1944

Last edited:
The war may not be decided in the Balkans, but your stand in Bulgaria is drawing more and more German troops away from fronts where they are needed. Looks like the Allies are going to steamroll ahead to Berlin unless the AI does something foolish.

Where are the Russians?

Hard to say, as I could only find the state of the front from May on the screens which is now kind of irrelevant when we're in January ^^

Hard to say, as I could only find the state of the front from May on the screens which is now kind of irrelevant when we're in January ^^
Didn't he mention them going into Romania?

And in some previous update weren't the Japanese half way through Siberia?

And there we all were wondering if you would be able to hold your gains in the Balkans, with the war practically over ... so it would seem. Good work though, with what you have done in Bulgaria.

I know it may be premature, but will you be going for WW3? If memory serves, quite a number of the Free Polish troops who fought with 21st Army Group and in Italy, ended their war as exiles in Britain. Sadly, they didn't get to liberate their homes, but in a sense they found a new one. Perhaps, not a bad destiny for your chaps bleeding down in the Balkans?

Thank you for the comments, guys, really appreciated :D

I just launched HoI for a quick look into the Allied fronts (both Jan, 1944 and Nov, 1943) and then looked at the East front from Soviet perspective to check what is happening.

What's the situation on the Eastern Front? The Axis defences in the Western Front looks pathetic.

Hell looks like they will be partying in Warsaw by the end of next year. Where are the Russians?

Didn't he mention them going into Romania?

And in some previous update weren't the Japanese half way through Siberia?

The Eastern front looks quite a disaster for Germans by the numbers, as Axis has not more than 80 divisions (mostly Germans, 13 or so Romanian), but they are holding the line still from the Barents sea to Odessa still, and it was like this for the past 1,5 year at least. Soviets have made some gains though, since last time I checked, I guess it's due to the surrender of Italy. Not sure what reserves Germans have, but there are some additional troops in Poland at least, constantly crushing uprisings with tanks. Soviets, on the other hand, have almost double than Axis there - 130-140 divisions, lost count :D They have also 20 divisions in the Not-So-Far East, as Japanese are at Lake Balkhash (and have been there for quite a while).

On the Western front, Allies have 28 divisions on the front line, while I could count 20 divisions from Axis side, but more than half of them - non-German. As I checked, Germans lost at least 11 divisions in Bretagne in November, when they were cut-off and forced to surrender.

The war may not be decided in the Balkans, but your stand in Bulgaria is drawing more and more German troops away from fronts where they are needed. Looks like the Allies are going to steamroll ahead to Berlin unless the AI does something foolish.

Actually, I tried to count Axis troops on the Balkan front, and there seems to be around 20 divisions there (not counting those 6 that surrendered in the last month or so). Allies have 8 British and 4 Lithuanian divs there + 4 Militias. So I guess my initial plan for Operation Zeppelin worked - significant amount of troops were transferred there, drawing forces from other fronts.

By the way, Italian/Austrian front has some 8-9 Allied divisions against 20-ish Axis, so I cannot see any breakthroughs there.

Hmm.
If the Allies do very well and take Berlin first, will that increase their chances of starting WW3? (And thus of Liberating Lithuania?)

And there we all were wondering if you would be able to hold your gains in the Balkans, with the war practically over ... so it would seem. Good work though, with what you have done in Bulgaria.

I know it may be premature, but will you be going for WW3? If memory serves, quite a number of the Free Polish troops who fought with 21st Army Group and in Italy, ended their war as exiles in Britain. Sadly, they didn't get to liberate their homes, but in a sense they found a new one. Perhaps, not a bad destiny for your chaps bleeding down in the Balkans?

Well, my goal is to get the Lithuania back and free, but I am afraid it might be too late to reach it before Soviets do.. But I will try. And as promissed to Latvian some time ago - I will try to liberate other Baltic countries too.

This leads to the question about WW3.. We shall see how things go, I would just need to think of a very good backstory that would lead to it, and the timing, on when it is most plausible. Currently I am leaning not to wait for war in Asia to be over, as Americans should be able to handle that themselves (they finally started island hopping!! Yey!!).

Just further to this, I've noticed that all the Chinese states are neutral (except for Communist China, which joined the Allies and was eaten by the Japanese), with, for example, National China in the middle of the relation pyramid. I wonder what happened, as I clearly remember them fighting the Japanese several years ago.. Or is this quite common?

Last edited:
(excpet for Communist China, which joined the Allies and was eaten by the Japanese)

:huh: I wouldn't have expected to have seen that! As for the Nationalists, perhaps they were defeated?

Considering the Japanese are pretty deep into the USSR, perhaps the American leaders would be more willing to listen to Patton's arguments to strike the USSR who he argued - iirc - poised a massive threat to Europe. Churchill had Operation Unthinkable drawn up to ensure the Soviets would honour the agreements they made, although the plan was not put into action. The inter-war years had seen British policy try to get Germany rebuilt so they could act as a bulwark to any possible Soviet aggression. So there is a lot of background to play with.

Happy to see an update :) Excellent progress in the Balkans!

WWIII or bust.

Just read through the whole AAR, great stuff! I, just sad I can't see the pics :(

Lithuania deserves a Baltic Empire after all the fighting they've done :laugh:. How many original guys do you think you have left?

If you are going to do WW3 I would hold off until after Germany was defeated. It would have been completely unrealistic for the Allies to attack the Soviets before then.

Happy to see an update :) Excellent progress in the Balkans!

Thanks, Henry!

interesting situation, How is Japan doing?

I will touch on Pacific front in my next update - stay tuned :)

I'd love to see a WWIII in this!

WWIII would be the best.

WWIII or bust.

Whoa, whoa, guys, whats the rush? :D :D :D In the West, the frontline has only reached Westwall and Netherlands, in the East - still somewhere in the middle of steppes, so a lot of fighting to do. Besides, we are yet to have a proper conference, say, in Yalta, no? :eek:o And then - who knows how the cards will fall.

Just read through the whole AAR, great stuff! I, just sad I can't see the pics :(

Lithuania deserves a Baltic Empire after all the fighting they've done :laugh:. How many original guys do you think you have left?

If you are going to do WW3 I would hold off until after Germany was defeated. It would have been completely unrealistic for the Allies to attack the Soviets before then.

Thanks, Andre, and welcome! I tried to do quick math on this, as I stopped counting total casualties from Italy, I think, and I believe there are still some 10-15,000 guys from those 70,000 or so that left Lithuania in July, 1941.

Apologies for the pics, apparently my Photobucket bandwith limit was exceeded this month, but the good thing is that it should refresh May 8/9.

As for my next update, I will create a new account somewhere, so it should be fine eventually.

Thanks, Henry!

I will touch on Pacific front in my next update - stay tuned :)

Whoa, whoa, guys, whats the rush? :D :D :D In the West, the frontline has only reached Westwall and Netherlands, in the East - still somewhere in the middle of steppes, so a lot of fighting to do. Besides, we are yet to have a proper conference, say, in Yalta, no? :eek:o And then - who knows how the cards will fall.

Thanks, Andre, and welcome! I tried to do quick math on this, as I stopped counting total casualties from Italy, I think, and I believe there are still some 10-15,000 guys from those 70,000 or so that left Lithuania in July, 1941.

Apologies for the pics, apparently my Photobucket bandwith limit was exceeded this month, but the good thing is that it should refresh May 8/9.

As for my next update, I will create a new account somewhere, so it should be fine eventually.
use imgur, always been trusty