• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by juszuf7

You say I should vassalise China. Isn't that a bit far fetched? I mean I played as Chagatai and Manchuria, and the most I could do is take some 3-4 provinces and had to end the war quickly because the 100 Chineese army was approaching. How am I supposed to vassalise China from a country from the other side of the world, with pathetic manpower and no ways of constantly sending reinforcements. First of all I guess I should send small 4k armies throughout the Chagatai desert because the rest would die of attrition. And still I would have to fight another 10 years just to cover all their provinces (to make 99%) and that would be possible only after I defeat some 100-200k Chineese. Even if I don't have to capture all their provinces, I would lose points every time I take a defeat. This seems to me as an impossibility (although I'm not sure, but I think I remember you did it :) )

Some minor nations spend their whole existance trying to annex China! :D (See Bavarian AAR listed in sig file) However it can be daunting.

WC games with minors are possible and there are good stories written here about them, but don't feel like you haven't played a good game just because your progress didn't measure up to someone else's.

My games rarely end in total world conquest simply because ... I'm too lazy to do all the math involved!

Taking tiny Albania and becoming the dominant power in Eastern Europe is a commendable accomplishment. The same is true of taking over Italy, or having a scattered trade-based empire with control of the world's most lucrative CoTs.

Remember, too, that one of the best AARs recently (IMHO) was Storey's "Who Killed Cologne" in which the player's nation actually failed miserably, but Storey wrote a a great piece about its demise.

If your goal is to master the game, or even to improve your game playing ability, there is a lot to learn from many of the WC AARs here. But if you just want to have pursing Albania as far as you can, while writing about the Time-Traveling King, go right ahead.

You had a pretty good story going, and you shouldn't scrap it because some goals seem unattainable. Just do your best, and, if you fail, put that into the AAR too.

Thanks :) I will try and play another 50 years, but if I'm still left in the same dead way I am in right now I'll quit. Not much of a point for a king to time-travel when every time he sees the same thing :D

Btw. I was reading your AAR when you started it, but that was a looong time ago and I thought you quit. It's a very good story, but I still don't know if I can convince myself to continue reading the story since I left off at page 3 I think where now your at page X (where x>3 :) Sorry about involving maths here, I'm not quite fond of it either)

this is officially the longest page in AAR history, congratulations:D

Man you guys could write a book with all this stuff. Its nice to see though, very good insights.

Sorry about the length of my commentary. It isn't an easy task to explain things so that others could reproduce a successful game. It's all so very complicated; a lot of things taken for granted as well. I started a new thread so you can get back to the business of writing your AAR.

Of course the most important thing is to have fun. And please continue to share your adventures as Albania. I didn't mean to imply that you should hang up the game. I was mostly trying to give you advice so that you would be able to pick better goals from the outset in future campaigns. Also, I hope that you do try some of my suggestions in a separate trial run if only to learn some skills that may help you. WC with Albania is a far fetched goal in itself. To get a leg up, you need to hit the ground running.

I agree Juszuf. It is not practical to conquer China to start a WC as Albania. I do believe that som etechniques have been published. I played Albania (Not as a WC) and quickly changed strategy as various attempts to conquer the Balkans all failed.

Taking Italy was more practical and I was eventually able to take over all of Italy and the Adriatic coast (as well as the usual Siberia, Australia, NZ, Pacific Islands, Indonesia.) I was bored with North America so I left it pretty much alone.

I do not believe I was too agressive, but with a good foundation by 1600's you should be able to go on a rampage from there.
I find BB wars tedious so I stayed under 35 BB for the duration of the game.

The question I have is, what is your goal? If it is WC, I believe you have the most difficult task in the game. I have not seen it yet but I am sure WC with Albania is extremely difficult. depending on how often you are willing to restart, I think it would require a bit of luck early on.

I am finding WC with Luxemburg extremely taxing in terms of time (but not impossible) I am sure WC is possible with even Albania. The question is, do you want to waste that much time?

Let's see what happens to your Albania.

The crowd has spoken!

Bring back the king in the bubble!
Bring back the king in the bubble!
Bring back the king in the bubble! :D

juszuf7 - You should give the Gluttonic Knights another try! I'm writing v-e-r-y s-l-o-o-o-o-o-o-w-l-y so you can catch up! Also MrT is collaborating on the current chapter!

Originally posted by Mad Magyar
I agree Juszuf. It is not practical to conquer China to start a WC as Albania. I do believe that som etechniques have been published.

Consider my Trebizond game as proof of concept. It's not as if you just start out and DoW China or something it takes decades of preparation during other wars.

Some would say WC with Albania is not practical. Look, how can you aspire to conquer the world but consider China this daunting, unbeatable foe?

Originally posted by Mad Magyar
Taking Italy was more practical and I was eventually able to take over all of Italy and the Adriatic coast.

Yes, you can take over Italy. But the manpower isn't going to have much of an effect until you get much more territory. And your BB count is way high if you annex all the Italian states. So it depends on history of who gets annexed as to which Italian territories you will get. It's better to use your BB points for expanding globaly rather than staying where you are, IMO. You can colonize and conquer Pagan nations with no BBs to strengthen your economy.

Hey. Nice AAR. However I havent been able to find it in the LibrAARy. And In an effort to help poor MrT, who has allowed me to aid him, I am looking to make sure everyone posts in the LibrAARy updates page about their AAR. If you could leave the title and address for this AAR in the updates thread, it would be a great help to everyone.
Thanks.

PS>If its there and I did not see it, please forgive me, to err is Human.

It seems like fate that the Albanian national goals match my in-game goals. Look at the bottom of this page, where you can see how much the Albanians love their neighbour.

http://exile.ru/151/materials/europeans-chart.html

Anyway, the chart is not real, of course. I hope I haven't offended anyone (any Albanians reading this?) :)

In 1463 my BB point was 19! Hah, that's what I call peacefull politics, but check out the story for more information :) I will probably finish it untill tonight. I would have finished it by now, but I'm having a writers block :D Everything I write looks so boring to me that I erase it.

About the link in the LibrAARy - I will post it right away.

Thanks everyone who wanted me to continue this AAR. I would probably not want to do it by myself, mostly due to some millitary disasters - but you'll see what I'm talking about when I finish the installment. :)

Note
I know the story is a bit long, but I hope that doesn’t scare away anyone. But not the whole installment is the story only, because in the end there is an explanation of how I played. So if you want to read the story only, then read from here. Those who are interested in gameplay should skip the story.
Anyway, it took for me only 5 minutes to read the whole, and you must agree that’s not that much.

THE BEGINNING OF THE EMPIRE
”It is one thing to conquer the world, and it is another to keep your empire together” - quoted incorrectly from Peter Ebbesen.

A boy was running all over the wooden castle in search of the king. He was yelling he has an urgent message, but wherever he turned he was told that nobody had seen the king. Finally, in his last attempt, the boy looked in the “royal” barn.
The new Italian advisor was teaching the king of how to act as a monarch. A few of the horses observed this strange behavior, while most of the animals ignored the two men.

“Il perfetto, your magiesty! Now just holda di sceptre lika this, and... that’s it, il perfetto, your magiesty!” - the advisor was shouting, while the king was bending his knees - “You, my dear magiesty, remind me of the court di Napoli!”
“Really?”
“Si! The Naplian court is also made out offa da king and di stupido horses called nobles”
“Ah, don’t be so hard on yourself! You’re much smarter than a horse....”
“Grazia, your magiesty! Now, put youra hands lika this, on your hip...”

At this point the messenger boy couldn’t hold his laughter any more, and the two men immediately heard him. The king’s face turned red, and ordered the boy to come in. The Italian advisor insisted the king has to be severe.

“Your magiesty, you must setta an example!”
“Are you nuts!? So that his family would go on a blood-feud against me? No way; my dear boy, what is it you want?”
“Venice, Serbia, Cyprus and the Knights declared war on you, chief. They say they feel like Albania is too weak right now, and they want a piece of the cake”
“Too weak? And why didn’t they attack when we were just a one-province nation then?”
“Don’t ask me, chief, I’m just a messenger boy”

There was no time to waste. Preparations had to be made. New troops had to be raised. The good old Albanian homeland still yielded only 1000 troops per recruitment, but the new slaves from Thessaloniki and Thrace were more willing to die (4000 per recruitment). And the king made sure they would get the chance. He also ordered ships to be built.

“My loyal advisor, I want you to build five warships for me!”
“Il exellente, your magiesty! Just give me the money and I’ll order the men to get to work!”
“Huh? Oh, sure, just help yourself to the treasury. There should be a few million ducats there already, considering our new size”
“I have already checked, my king! Il treasury is empty”
“Impossible!”
“Hold your scepter lika this, your magiesty, and say it again!”
“That’s IMPOSSIBLE”
“Thatta was more convincing”

Anyway, there wasn’t any ships going to be built, but luckily the chief got into time traveling so he didn’t have to worry about that no more.
He turned up behind an army. Obviously a battle was going to happen right now, and he was the one to command it. He looked to his surrounding - there was sea everywhere. “Oh my God, I can’t swim” was the first thought that crossed his mind. A dirty man wearing a helmet, obviously a general, came to him with a worried face.

“Chief, we must attack now! Otherwise the Venetians are going to surround us!”
“Um, yeah, we’ll wait just for a little longer”
“Whooo, thatta looks lika careful planning your magiesty”
The king recognized his advisors voice: “You can bet it is!”. And then he was hit by his memories. He remembered the battles fought in Kosovo and Serbia, and the humiliating peace deal the Serbs had to sign, ceding Kosovo and themselves becoming vassals of Albania. Everyone was so happy. The nobles donated a large gift to the state, and the merchants formed a monopoly company. The money gained was enough for building a few ships and another 15.000 cavalry. He sent this new army to Ionia, a Venetian island just off the coast of Athens. The battle has begun against a small defense force. There was no way the Venetians could win, except if they succeed in surrounding the Albanians and force them back to sea. HE MUST NOT ALLOW IT! He stood up from his chair, put his left hand on his hip, and with his right hand he pointed towards nowhere particular.
“ChARgE!”
The soldiers thought they were being lead by general BoB, so their moral increased to Undying and they crushed the Venetians whom they overwhelmed only by 15:1. As the preparations for the siege begun, the king decided he would go home and start a few economic reforms. And then he got into time shifting.

He appeared in a small wooden room. “I hope this isn’t a torture chamber. I had enough of those during Dad’s reign” It truly wasn’t a torture chamber, but merely a ship’s cabin. The chief found out that he had about 16 warships, 4 galleons and 4 transport ships in his “royal” fleet.
“Wow, my economic reforms must have been great if I could afford all of this!”, he thought, but then he remembered. No, it wasn’t economic reforms. Some idiot at the office forgot to tell that they inherited a large fleet from Byzantium, so it was lying useless in Rumelia for years. Anyway, the king was surrounded by water again, and again he couldn’t swim. So he decided to go back to his cabin until they reach shores.

Suddenly, he heard a knock on the wall, then some crunching. From out of nowhere the nose of a galleon broke through the wall, and the king ran out.
“Sir, you must stay inside! We are under attack by the Venetians!”
“I know that already, captain. The Venetians are coming over through a hole they’ve made in my cabin”
“I think this should be the right time to surrender, chief”
“No way!”
The Italian advisor was standing next to him, and he coughed a bit. The king immediately corrected himself.
“I mean NEVER!”, and he put his right hand on his hearth, “for as long as I am Albania, Albania shall not surrender!” * heroic background music *

Later that day, on the Venetian command ship, the chief was signing the humiliating peace treaty, in which he had to pay 50$.
“Just sign here, Mr.Chief”
“I can’t write!”
“Nevermind, it’s not as if we’ll put this paper in the archives or something....”

And finally, after much misunderstanding, eternal peace was signed after a bloody war that lasted for 9 years. And the king got into time traveling again.

STUPID WARS
”Goofy, are you all right?” - a quote from Mickey Mouse that has nothing to do with this story

The king showed up at a dining table. His guests were a few nobles, surrounded by servants and had hookers in their arms. Beer was spilled all over, and bottles were thrown, and most of the nobles behaved, as we’d expect barbarians to behave at a large wooden table in a Hollywood movie. Anyway, this was officially the state meeting, and they were having a half-hour break. Just enough time, because the king had to wait for several minutes for his memory to recover. Obviously he had traveled a lot.
Then his Italian advisor, drunk to the bones, poked him with his finger.
“Sso wat happenned then, huh chief? Did she show you, did she?”
The king did not know what to say, so he just smiled and raised his glass. The advisor continued.
“Come on, you old buuuurp bastard. Il segnorita, did she show it to you, err?”
“Yes”
“And whatte were theyaa.... Whatte were.... They like, huh chief?”
Suddenly he was hit by his memories, so hard he fell of the chair. Everyone was laughing.
“That good, huh chief?”, the advisor laughed with his mouth opened incredibly wide. The chief remembered everything that has happened in the last six years - nothing. They were drinking all day and night, crushing a rebellion or two sometimes, and recruiting armies for the Great Plan (called GP from now on). The GP was the chief’s own idea, and it included a lot of details, but it was based on a theory that 40.000 men can do wonders. And in the past six years money was coined for weapons, and troops were recruited, so that finally the army totaled two 20.000 men armies and a few smaller rebel-crushers. One of the armies was lead by Skanderbeg, a man disliked very much by the king. So much that he changed his GP. Originally he intended to go after Italy, but he wanted Skanderbeg to be as far as possible, so he sent him to Alexandria. And a day prior to the chief’s appearance war was declared on the Mamelukes, and Skanderbeg is probably in some desert right now, eating the dust and cursing the moment he’d met the chief. “Yes, it will be soon all over for poor old Skanderbeg”, the king chuckled as his men raised him back to the table.

A hooker sat in his lap, but he chased her away and told everyone that the meeting is over, and they had important things to do. Actually he wanted to give details about the GP he invented. When all of the sudden a servant rushes in with a declaration of war from the Ottomans. Their reason was that they owned Bulgaria, and they wanted to connect that province with the rest of their kingdom.
The king quickly looked at everyone, then asked.
“What should we do now?”
“Leeet’s just all go tooo... ah... go to sleep...”, said his advisor before he fell on the floor and stayed there. Obviously Italians can’t hold drink too much. The rest of the nobles were sober and serious.
“Isn’t this covered by the GP?”, one noble asked.
“Do we have money to bribe them?”, another voice was heard.
“Can’t we all just get along?”, said someone third. Obviously this wasn’t going to work, so he ordered the meeting-break to continue, and he exited the room. A boy was waiting in front of the door.

“OK, listen to me now. Go and send out a message to general Skanderbeg to come back and help us fight the infidels”
“Yes, sir chief!”
The boy ran away, and the chief leaned back to the wall. “Hopefully he’ll get shot by an arrow or something”, he was thinking, and then headed back to the meeting room.

“Just sign here, Mr.Chief”
“I can’t write!”
“Nevermind, it’s not as if we’ll put this paper in the archives or something....”

Great Line!

I'm glad the story continues!

Note: I know Skanderbeg is an Albanian national hero, so once again I apologize to anyone I might offend. This story has nothing to do with historical truth, and is all the product of my sick mind :)

The Institution of Skanderbeg

The brilliant general, known by later generations as “uncle Skanderbeg”, was a serious man. He was so serious he actually lacked any sense of humor, and rumors told that nobody ever saw him smile. Because of his inability to find any joke funny, he was actually laughed at and ridiculed. The sort of “look at the idiot” type of ridicule. To avoid this, Skanderbeg joined the army, and after his superiors died off in blood-feuds, he took the leashes of command in his own hands, and led the Albanian army to many glorious victories.

The first one of those victories happened during the war with the Ottomans.

Skanderbeg walked through the muddy path to the entrance of the “royal” palace. The chief was sitting in front of the gates, drinking along with a few of his buddies. The soldier saluted:
“General Skanderbeg reporting for duty, sir!”
“Ah, Skanderbeg, you old scoundrel, where have you been?”
“I was sailing the Mediterranean for months, trying desperately to reach the Motherland, while my men were dying of starvation and disease. It was horrible! First we were left without salt. Then without food. Then cholera broke out amongst the youngest. Finally, a guy invented how to extract salt from the water, but he starved to death before he could tell us the secret. Seeing how all hope is lost, we decided to draw straws, and the one that pulled out the longest was going to be eaten”
“All right, all right man, I wasn’t asking for your life story! Gees, go and conquer something”
“At once, sir!”

And Skanderbeg took his 12.000 surviving men, and liberated Thrace and Smyrna, and took Bulgaria from the Ottomans in the following year. In the meantime, the king traveled a little bit more through time. He showed up at the walls of his capital city, Duress. Down in front of him was a large crowd of peasants, booing and shouting. “Well, this is obviously a protest. I’ll just order the guards to…”
“Chief!”, he was interrupted by a gasping servant, “a few of the peasants started climbing the walls! What should we do?”
“Well wipe them off the face of the Earth, what do you think you should do?”. Then he turned to the soldier next to him: “Where is my Italian advisor?”
“Excuse me, sir?”
“Tell my Italian advisor to show up immediately, I have something important to ask him”
“Um, chief, your advisor ran away last year in that corruption scandal”
“Huh?”

Luckily, he was hit by his memories then, and he remembered the whole thing. The chief was tired of ruling a country that was at constant warfare, so he hatched a scheme with his advisor to rob the treasury and flee to Naples. Everything worked perfectly, except that his advisor knocked him in the head after they escaped from the palace, and he ran away with the loot himself. The following morning, the king had to face some serious corruption charges, which in turn he had to bribe everyone in the room, with the money left in the treasury. There wasn’t enough, however, and some were dissatisfied and swore on blood-feud, that is, stability suffered.

Back to the present, the couple of hundred soldiers present at the fort gathered in front of the gates. The king decided to hold an inspiring speech:
“My fellow Albanians, seeing the raw strength of you inspires me with great hopes about our future. Let’s show those dirty peasants that we are not meek, but instead brave and courageous! Let them learn a lesson they’ll never forget! I have my deepest trust in each and every one of you that you’ll succeed. Now go out there and kick some rebel butt!”
The soldiers cheered and roared, the gates were open, and the few hundred brave soldiers rushed out, only to meet 15.000 armed peasants. They were quickly surrounded.

As the Unhappy peasants approached, something happened. One of the soldiers recognized someone among the crowd.
“Mum?”
“Billy?”
“What are you doing amongst angry peasants?”
“And what are you doing in the Albanian army? You said you were going to France!”
“I’m sorry, I… I lied…”, said the soldier with tears in his eyes.

After this emotional moment the soldiers and the peasants hugged, and together they sacked the capital city. The king escaped only through time traveling. He showed up at a large wooden table, surrounded by dirty men mumbling something he couldn’t understand.

“Oh no! It finally happened! I finally traveled to somewhere where people speak a different tongue!”
“What are you talking about?”, a guy next to him pushed him with his elbow. He was speaking Albanian!
“Oh nothing. I was just thinking aloud”
“How can you think about people speaking different languages at this time?”
“Hey, do I ask you what’s going on around you’re brain?”
“Yes!”
Strange. Well, he’ll just wait for a while until his memory comes back. In the meantime, the guy at the other side of the table, a large bearded man, stood up and started shouting at him. He was pointing at a short, thin man, and shouted even though the chief couldn’t understand him. This continued for another half hour, during which the chief recovered his memory. The large man was the ambassador of Hungary. The Hungarians captured Rumelia in the current war. The war was initiated by Siebenburgen, which was represented by the short man. They were discussing peace.

When the large man finished his shouting, the guy next to him – his new advisor – leaned to him and said, “the ambassador says he accepts our peace deal. We give them our total treasury, and they give us Rumelia back”
“Total treasury!”
“0$, that is.”
“Oh”

The meeting has ended, and the king and his new advisor left the meeting-palace. The king had a worried face, so the advisor asked him what’s wrong.
“I had a strange dream last night [if you may call that last night]”
“What was it like?”
“Well, it was… did you ever dream about old men?”
“Not really….”
“Or about people flying in the air?”
“Well, once, but…”
“All right then! Then it’s probably nothing”
“What did you dream about, chief?”
“Well, basically I was walking the streets of Durres”
“The one held by the rebels right now”
“Right. I was walking, and suddenly an old man was hovering in the air in front of me. The strange thing is I already dreamed about him”
“That isn’t so strange…”
“You think so? Anyway, the old man was hovering in the air, and he was repeatedly saying “No conquest - no cookies, chief! No conquest – no cookies, chief!” It was horrible! What do you think it means?”
“Well, most of the time dreams mean nothing, but I think the old man was telling you it’s time to conquer some territory”
“Wow, that was incredible! You’re a very smart man!”
“Yes, well, sometimes nature makes us incredible, super-smart”
“And modest too!”
“Yes, modesty is a way of life for me”
“So tell me, what should I do now?”
“We should go home…”
“I meant what should I do with the Ottomans? Skanderbeg captured all their provinces, but they are all Muslim”
“Can’t we just wipe those infidels off?”
“Hardly”
“Then you should vassalize the Ottomans”

And so peace has come to the lands of Albania once more. Three provinces, including Albania was in rebel hands, however, and the army was downgraded to only 20.000 men. Something had to be done!

Skanderbeg was walking on the muddy road to the “imperial” palace. When he arrived to the gates, he noticed the king sitting on a bench with his new advisor, drinking beer.
“Mission accomplished, my king! I conquered Turkey and defended the Empire just as you’ve told me!”
“I told you when?”
“Five years ago, chief”
“I meant you should conquer some chick and get laid, you idiot!”
“Apologies, sir”
“Go to Thrace now and liberate it from the rebels! You should rape some peasant girl in the meantime – you look a bit stressed”
“As you wish”

And Skanderbeg left with 2000 men and defeated the huge rebel army in Trace, and after siege engines arrived he left to rebel held Morea. Soon the peasants forgot why they were unhappy about, and the situation calmed. All lands were in the hands of the chieftain again. However, some of the nobles disliked this.
“This state is too centralized!”, the leader of the noble’s delegation complained.
“What do you mean it’s centralized?”
“Well you have too much power!”
“I am the king after all, aren’t I?”
“Anyways, we would like more decentralization”
“OK, whatever…”, said the chief, and got into time shifting. “Hehe, no need to deal with those idiots”, he thought, when suddenly he showed up at a sea shore. The soldiers were marching into the large transport ships. And Skanderbeg was standing in front of the chief, looking at him with a dumb look. The chief got annoyed right away.
“What?”
“Chief, you need to give him some words of encouragement”, his advisor whispered.
“OK, wait for a minute”

Finally, he remembered everything. For the last few years all the country’s resources were spent on bribing the Castilian king to allow military access. It was very expensive, but after the total of 300$ they caved in. The soldiers that were entering the transport ships were that 20.000 cavalry army led by Skanderbeg. Their plan was to conquer Portugal. Why? No reason especially, only the chief was afraid from the old man in his dreams, and he felt he had to conquer something.

Back to Skanderbeg.

“So, you are going to Portugal, huh Skanderbeg?”
“Yes sir”
“And what are you going to do there?”
“I will be conquering lands for the glory of the Empire, my king”
“And…?”
“I will be looting and pillaging for the enrichment of the Empire, my king”
“What else…?”
“Um…”
“You are going to rape some Portuguese girls! That is an order! I can’t stand seeing you like this! You’re alive as a tree is”
“The tree is alive, sir”
“And I don’t see anyone caring, now do I?”
“No , sir”
“Get lost, idiot!”

After those encouraging words, Skanderbeg led the “imperial” fleet to Castile, split his army to attack Portugal from the north and the south, and then war was declared. The Portuguese were quickly annihilated, and the boring sieges had begun.

In the meantime, the chief had a great idea.
“I am moving my capital to Constantinople!”
“Huh?”
“I will rename the city to – Chiefnople”
“But why do you want to leave the peaceful sights of Albania, chief?”
“Peaceful!? You mean boring! All day I’m sitting on this bench with you, my loyal advisor, and drink beer, talking about bullshit. In Thrace I could hold such grand parties, and have the finest imperial daughters around me.”
“But consider the costs…”
“Don’t oppose me, advisor!”
“Yes sir”

So preparations were being made, but some heretic uprising in Thessaloniki delayed them. After the heretics were crushed, the king decided to go to Thrace and personally oversee the workings. He was halted by a messenger boy shouting.
“Chief! The Ottomans declared war!”
“On us?”
“Errr….”

And the plans had to be halted for a while. It turned out, however, that it would be quite some time, because the Ottomans captured the province, and demanded it as part of a peace deal. Since the 10.000 defending army was annihilated in the first months of the war, the chief had nothing to do but accept. This meant that Smyrna would be cut off from Albania. The biggest surprise for all was when the Ottomans moved their capital to Thrace, renaming the city to Istanbul.
“Basterds! They are stealing my ideas!”
“Maybe we shouldn’t have agreed on giving them Thrace, chief”
“Well, if that Skanderbeg was here we would have had some hope, but nooo! He had to go and see the world!”
“Chief, you were the one to…”
“Shut up!”

The chief went back to his room and cried. Suddenly he got into time traveling. “Well, I hope the future will turn out better” And Skanderbeg showed up in front of him again. “Oh no!”
“Portugal defeated, my king. We’ve acquired the colonies of Salvador, Tiracambu, Lobito, Para, Diamentina, Uruguay, Casamance… * breath * …Curitiba, Kribi and Itaimas”
“Huh?”
“We’ve also acquired new world maps. It seems the world is round, and that there’s another continent, full of weak nations just waiting to get conquered”
“Weak you say? All right, prepare for war!”
"Yes, sir"
"Skanderbeg"
"Yes, sir?"
"Did you rape some Portuguese girls?"
"It somehow slipped my mind, sir. I had all those millitary actions to lead, and..."
"Ah, just shut up...!"

And the present crashed down as the chief got into time traveling again.

Last edited:
HOW I PLAYED - IN REAL LIFE

One of the funny things that hit me was this: I’ve read wc2_32’s advice, I’ve read everyone elses and thought about them, but when I started playing I kind of forgot about them. First I was thinking how to loot Poland-Lithuania or someone else, but then I was attacked by Venice/Serbia/Ottomans and the plan just slipped my mind. When the war was over I had other troubles to deal with.

I think one of the main reasons why I’m still so poor and in such a bad situation is that I have too much BB points. Although I was relatively peaceful in the last 20-30 years, my BB points shrunk only to 19. BB should get lower by time, right? At which rate, I’m not sure, but I think it’s 1 point per 16 years. Anyway, as you already know, when I tried to take Alexandria I was DoWed by the Ottomans, and it took me the next decade or so to finally defeat and vassalize them. I did not want any of their Muslim territory, so I only took Bulgaria. Now I think I should take some of their Muslim lands too, because they managed to get Thrace back from me, and make it Muslim with their event.

Well, that is done now. I just hope they won’t be coming after me again, since I would like to concentrate on expansion, not defense :)

So anyway, for those who have not fought yet on 70% inflation, trust me when I say it is very difficult. You get all this money, and then see it all spent on 2000 cavalry. Luckily I don’t promote Bailiffs, so I don’t know their price! The high prices meant that, when Venice attacked me (they were the alliance leaders) I had no money to build new troops, and could rely on only those that I had. I managed to take Kosovo from Serbia and vassalize them (they were annexed by someone a year later). However, the Venetians kept demanding Morea, and there was no way I would give it to them. I started building a few ships, when I noticed like 16 ships that I have placed in Rumelia. They were probably Byzantine, because I have no clue where they came from.

I packed them with soldiers, and headed from Dalmatia. I was intercepted by Venetian ships and lost the battle. And then I lost another. And another and another and another. I had no money to pay to Ragusa for military access, and there was no way of reaching the Venetian provinces. In the meantime, I took Ionia from them, so they stopped demanding Morea, and asked for only 50$. After eight years of useless sea-fighting (in which my 8-9% victory was reduced to 0%) I agreed on paying them that money.

At the end of the war, I was again left with virtually no troops, and a few provinces in rebel hands. Luckily I got an excellent leader, Skanderbeg, who managed to get back the provinces with only a few troops. Then for the following few years I built like 40.000 troops, mostly infantry, and transported Skanderbeg to Alexandria. The minute I DoWed the Mamelukes I was DoWed by the Ottomans. I quickly returned, paid the Mamelukes for peace, and after another agonizing struggle I vassalised the Ottomans, and took Bulgaria. The 40.000 troops were shrunk to 5.000 I think. I had 0$ in my treasury. And I was DoWed by Ragusa and her allies.

At this time Ragusa is allied with Bosnia, Wallachia and Moldova. Siebenburgen, Hungary, Austria etc. are the other alliance that keeps hovering over me. And both of them attacked me during the war with the Ottomans. I had no troops, and lost Kosovo to Ragusa. I also lost Rumelia to Wallachia and paid 5$ for peace, then I lost Thrace to Hungary and paid 0$ for peace, and so on, I had no troops to fight back, but luckily the AI is stupid and I got out easily, because I rarely had more than 10$ in treasury.

Then I read the advices once more, thought things over and decided I was not going anywhere like this. I had to gain some pagan territories or I would get lost. So I collected the money once more, built some 20.000 cavalry and 15.000 infantry for a tremendous price of 700$ I think (it took me a decade on 100% treasury to get that much) and transported them to Castilia. The Castilians were bribed with something like 200$ in total for military access, with each access costing about 35$. The first gift brought me from -101 to -1, the second from -1 to +1, and the rest was pretty predictable. The war with Portugal was easy, the Portuguese were at war with the Castilians, and so Skanderbeg had to annihilate only some 5000 troops before the entire country was under siege. In result, I received 10 colonies in Southern America and Africa. I immediately signed trade treaties with Benin & co.

What happened during the Portuguese wars was that the Ottomans attacked, despite vassalisation. They had 60k troops, I had 30k, but they were all in Portugal. They took Smyrna and Thrace, and asked for Thrace only, which I gladly agreed to. I should mention that on the day the war begun, and in the following months, I offered the Ottomans Smyrna but they refused.

So here I am now! I should transport Skanderbeg to Africa and start conquering there, I think. The pagans will not give me BB points, right? Colonization is a bit costly, I think it’s 40/100 so there’s not much I can do there. I should probably keep attacking Portugal and take her colonies. I am only worried about the Treaty of Tordeillas. If I eliminate Portugal till then, will it still come to effect?

About my Balkan provinces I just don’t know. They are not helping me, as ws2_32 said. I can’t really defend them, since each war is so costly for me already, and I can’t build defense troops too! I would probably need 20.000 cavalry - but that could be too little also - and that would cost horribly too much.

I should say, perhaps, that I finally reached the +3 stability, despite a few nasty events and a DoW on Portugal and the Mamelukes. Does this matter at all? Of course not! But at least I can DoW Benin without worrying about my Balkan provinces. The question is what should I do after I take those pagan provinces, because - I haven’t checked, but I’m pretty sure that - missionaries are bloody expensive?

And here's a screenie, although not many has changed. Notice that the Ottomans have taken Thrace, and that I have colonies. Also look at the hirrible financial situation.

I tried to make the image size az small as possible, so the quality suffered a bit. If you can't see the picture then paste this address in your browser: www.icarusindie.com/juszuf7/albania/albania_1463.jpg

albania_1463.jpg

Re: HOW I PLAYED - IN REAL LIFE

I think one of the main reasons why I?m still so poor and in such a bad situation is that I have too much BB points. Although I was relatively peaceful in the last 20-30 years, my BB points shrunk only to 19. BB should get lower by time, right? At which rate, I?m not sure, but I think it?s 1 point per 16 years.
You lose 1/4 years on normal, 1/8 years on hard, and 1/6 years on very hard. Not 1/16 years - your eyes have deceived you.

Hilarious! The story is great; it kept me in stitches the whole way through. GP = Great Plan, likely inspired by yours truly. I can just imagine the troops' reaction, "Prepare for war on China? Oh, that is some grrrreat plan all right!"

The AAR is great, although Albania is suffering, perhaps even because Albania is suffering. I cannot imagine so many laughs from a highly successful campaign; someone has to play the fool. Maybe you would be writing something from China's point of view... "Ha! Albania has declared war... better mobilize a couple thousand troops... What? Oh no!"

>The pagans will not give me BB points, right?

So long as you do not annex them you get no BB points. You get +5 BB points for annexing. Ouch!

>I should probably keep attacking Portugal and take her colonies.

You get +4 BB points for each DoW. I don't recommend it for a handful of colonies. You might like to take Oporto however. Oporto is so rich in production income that it generally allows you to operate an inflation free gold mine. Also, it gains you a foothold on the Iberian peninsula which greatly aids in attacking Spain. Spanish maps, Andalusia, Toledo and gold mines in the Americas are what you REALLY want. Just gaining Spanish maps is worth a war against Spain. And you can generally assault Madrid to gain the maps even though you may lose the war overall. It can be as simple as marching straight over and assaulting the capital when Spain is distracted in another war.

>I am only worried about the Treaty of Tordeillas. If I eliminate Portugal till then, will it still come to effect?

You would have to eliminate both Spain and Portugal to prevent the effect entirely. Spain cannot take the colonies you have by the Treaty. And I never witness Portugal taking anything by Treaty of Tordeillas. They just don't have the roaming troops and conquistadors that Spain has. So don't worry.

>The question is what should I do after I take those pagan provinces, because - I haven’t checked, but I’m pretty sure that - missionaries are bloody expensive?

I don't recommend taking anything but Ivoria. And that can be a very expensive proposition due to the high attrition zones. What are the land tech levels? Do you have good chances of winning assaults? Are the fortresses in Benin minimal or are they small? How much attrition will you suffer in getting troops to West Africa? Do you have ports in West Africa or are they trade posts? Benin isn't likely to give up Ivoria without a very significant level of victory; you have to do more than win a few battles and take control of Ivoria.

Benin's other provinces, just aren't worth much, IMHO. Kano is a so so grain province. The slave trade can vary in value between being better than spice to being worse than sheep or fish. Only during times of the greatest amount of new colonisation does the slave trade become very valuable. How to make slaves valuable remains a mystery to me. Likely, most of Benin's provinces will not do you much good.

I wouldn't send a missionary to Ivoria. Just live with the Pagan religion. Money is better spent on ways to expand your empire. The payoff for having a Catholic Ivoria is only about 4 ducats a year. When you figure in stability costs and rebellion probability it is somewhat attractive to convert; it just depends on what other investment opportunities are available.

With ownership of a CoT you might concentrate on trade. You cannot afford colonies; but you could afford trade posts. So you could build up the value of your CoT and might perhaps monopolize it.

>About my Balkan provinces... I can’t really defend them.

Then stop trying to defend them. If some nation wants one of those provinces for peace, let it go. The Ottomans gaining Thrace was not good though, the Ottomans tend to get a lot more power after that. At least the Ottomans will no longer concentrate efforts solely on attacking you.

>“Venice... declared war on you, chief. They say they feel like Albania is too weak right now....”
>“Too weak? And why didn’t they attack when we were just a one-province nation then?”

Also, you can vassalise Hellas, right? Venice wants Morea; it's better that you don't have it. Historically, keeping Morea from Venice cost more than it was worth. The Ottomans finally came to that conclusion at one time. The makers of EU II do try to make things work out somewhat historically.

Last edited:
I did not want any of [the Ottoman's] Muslim territory, so I only took Bulgaria. Now I think I should take some of their Muslim lands too, because they managed to get Thrace back from me, and make it Muslim with their event.

If the Ottoman's declare war and you choose to fight then go for 100% victory. Take every territory possible in peace. You are right, you don't want the Muslim territories. You don't want any of their territories, I think. But if you have the chance to cripple the Ottomans at only one BB per territory, then do so. You can vassalize Hellas and Bulgaria. And you can find a way to get a CB war with Karaman, possibly by getting them into an alliance that they will dishonour. You DoW Karaman and then one month later offer all the territories you don't want. You lose one BB for each province you give away. So the net gain in BB is only for the declaration of war on Karaman.

As Albania you have to be very concerned about the strength of the Ottoman Empire. As I said before, the game designers do attempt to make things turn out somewhat historically. You don't have to worry about Karaman ever causing you grief. They are controlled by minor AI with no events and can barely manage a divided empire.

Now that the Ottoman's have a CoT in Thrace, you could apply the same principles I discussed above should the Turks declare war again. Once all that territory is given to Karaman, you might DoW the Ottomans to annex the CoT in Thrace. You would never have to worry about the Ottomans again and you would have a very nice CoT. That it is Muslim wouldn't matter if you got rid of all those Orthodox provinces. I think that Muslim territory is better than Orthodox territory anyway; you still want Alexandria don't you? Thrace, Alexandria, Isfahan, Astrakhan, Zanzibar, and Kotch are all Muslim. What CoTs are you going to aim for that are Orthodox, Novgorod? Ugh! Winter attrition is the worst.

Last edited:
Your problems are pretty much the same ones I encountered in my Hungarian Empire AAR from a few months back. Although I made some pretty impressive gains early on, such as conquering the entire Balkan penninsula except for Thrace and annexing Poland, my Empire began to loose more and more ground over the following decades as I fell further and further behind technologically and my enconomy began to collapse under the weight of the huge military I was beign forced to keep for defence.

I've decided that the Balkan penninsula is way to poor to concentrate on unless you've custom edited a scenerio(my next AAR after The Beating Heart of Europe will be a game as Serbia but where I've edited the files and added events to push myself down a certain path. It should be a great fun to play). This is deffinatly true of Albana which only has one culture province, which means its terribly difficult to raise troops or get any money, what so ever, out of the land.

Besides, the Ottoman Empire can be a real bear. It seems that you can knock it down for the count early in the game, but it always managed to return to power later on. Not enough to threaten, say, Austria or so, but enough to crush what ever insolent nation has sprung up in the Balkans.

I don't mean to sound so depressing, its just my own experiencing in that part of the world were less than bennificial, unless you count looking at the computer and cursing it to be a good thing ;) It DOES, on the other hand, make for one helluva story :)