• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by Twoflower
If there are no Lenape around, I'd expect the Dutch to colonise a bit in Northa America if England is slowed down; they already have the "america" area in their expansion list.
What do you think about letting the Swedish AI colonise a bit in North America?

Wouldn't be too unhistorical (New Sweden did exist, after all), but I'm uncertain about the implementation.

Originally posted by Sheridan
I don't know about Lincoln, but I am positive there was a General Gates. If I recall he operated mainly in the central colonies (PA, MD, VA), but I may be horribly wrong.

Major-General Benjamin Lincoln accepted the surrounder of Lord Cornwallis's army from subordinate General Charles O'Hara following the capitulation of Yorktown by the British. Major General Horatio Gates, on the other hand was the commander of Southern Continental Army and a former ranking officer in the British Army. IMO, there are MANY US leaders who have been mistakingly left out. I have made this point before countless times in the past but nobody ever seemed to have listened so I'll say it again: ANDREW JACKSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is he????

I hadn't really looked at the leaders, but I agree, we need Andrew Jackson. I still remember the song someone wrote about the Battle of New Orleans (ironically it had no effet on the outcome of the war, the treaty had already been signed but word hadn't reached Louisiana yet). And he also campaigned against the natives in the South.

He should have a relatively good movement rate; a lot of his campaigns were through very bad terrain and he seemed to do better than most in it.

Mainly, 've been refining ideas other people have brought up (Florida, the Quebec situation, now the colonization issues).

Also, I agree, Sweden and the Netherlands should *try* to colonize the "America" area, and Norway, Denmark, etc should have NO knowledge of land territories west of Greenland in startgame (though sea territories are okay). Without some serious tweeking though, I doubt we can slow colonization down to the historical rate without tinkering with the English and French DP sliders and religion bonuses (and the latter option would probably cripple Spain too), or leaving out some of their early historical explorers.

Is almost my bedtime, I'll just put this up in case there's corrections to be made before I start off the colonial AI testing. Would it skew the test, you think, if I actually played but avoided interfering with England and France? (for example playing the OE or China?)

Here's what I see are the corrections I need to make prior to the test:

Test Conditions, Colonial AI Test

New (Replacement) - England Colonial AI

continent = { Oceania }
region = { Carribean India }
area = { America Maine Georgia Newfoundland Cuba Bengal Carnatic Ceylon Tanganyika "The Mascarenes" "The Cape" Gold "St Helena" Guiana Falklands Bermuda "Grand Lacs" Illinois Labrador "Hudson Bay" Ohio Plaines Oregon }

New (Replacement) - France Colonial AI

region = { Carribean "West Africa" India }
area = { Quebec Acadie Antilles Haiti "Grand Lacs" Carnatic "The Mascarenes" Senegal Louisiane "Hudson Bay" Illinois Guiana Seychelles Madagascar Congo Cameroon Ivory Gabon Kansas }

Changes to Norway, Denmark (if necessary)

Lose map knowledge of any and all land provinces west of Greenland at game start.

Possibly (as discussed) -
Add area = { America } to Sweden, Netherlands Colonial AIs.

Also, I made up a picture with the colonial areas labeled, for any future use. It's posted on my Geocities site (can't direct-link, and it's huge anyway, but try this.... http://www.geocities.com/starshipnormandy/strategy/screenshots.html

Last edited:
Is almost my bedtime, I'll just put this up in case there's corrections to be made before I start off the colonial AI testing. Would it skew the test, you think, if I actually played but avoided interfering with England and France? (for example playing the OE or China?)

Here's what I see are the corrections I need to make prior to the test:

Also, I made up a picture with the colonial areas labeled, for any future use. It's posted on my Geocities site (can't direct-link, and it's huge anyway, but try this.... http://www.geocities.com/starshipnormandy/strategy/screenshots.html

It should work just fine to play as a non-European nation, or one that doesn't interfere with France and England much (although the farther away the better; unseen chain reactions can affect them, such as "Russia weakening Austria which then is too weak to have the intended effect on France which then goes berserk on colonial possessions").

The map looks good... could've used a little thicker border lines (a few of them, at least around Grand Lacs, are hard to see), but it's good enough to include in the resources list on the frontpage.

As for the settings, I strongly recommend Norway not knowing of anything at all west of Greenland (including seazones). Sweden and Netherlands wanting to colonize America is something I'm indifferent upon (as far as the test is concerned), so I leave that entirely up to you to decide.

It would be good, though, if you could give England and France appropriate CB shields on the provinces they should colonize, so that we can see if that makes much of a difference.

Originally posted by KingCharlesXII
If you look in the AON forum under "US Leaders" you will see his stats. I know its there because I made them:)

I looked and I searched, yet I found nothing.

Hey all, I read something in the Scandanavia thread just now that may be usful. Can we change colonialnation=yes/no via an event? If we can, we can just set England and France as no to start out with, then turn it on at some point in the game? I know the ACG doesn't do events by date, but it could be attached to another event that usually fires during the right period/knowledge of certain provinces.

Sorry about the border-lines. Was using Windows Paint, and it only lets you do freehand lines a single pixel wide. Some of the colors are a bit hard to see, too.

Will try and figure out appropriate CB shields before testing and code up an event granting them (probably in 1493; this way they get them before any possible colonies, and we can use "word of Columbus' discoveries" as the backstory).

I'm thinking France would get shields on the "Quebec" area and most of the "Louisiane" and "Acadie" areas; England would get them on the remainder of the coast (except Florida), Newfoundland, and parts of Acadie. Other than the inland parts of Quebec, I think coastal provinces only (for now).

Also... should we remove some of the natives for the test? I'm specifically thinking of the Lenape, Creek, and Cherokee because of proximity to the coast.

Also, had another idea regarding the France/England balance - granting an event-driven shipyard to France? England already gets one (or at least it does in standard GC events), so this would help balance them out. England will still do better than France due to DP sliders, but the difference will not be as great. Probable location, however, is a problem - where?

Last edited:
I'd say its best to leave the Indians in, for now. As for France getting a shipyard, I suggest that you only give them one if the first test(s) show that they are very weak at colonizing under the new parameters.

Also... should we remove some of the natives for the test? I'm specifically thinking of the Lenape, Creek, and Cherokee because of proximity to the coast.
I'd like to see how they do with the Indians present.
Also, had another idea regarding the France/England balance - granting an event-driven shipyard to France?
Probable location, however, is a problem - where?
The 1617, 1773, and 1795 scenarios have one in Morbihan; the 1700 scenario has three in Caux, Provence, and Vendee (and not Morbihan).

EDIT: It's worth noting that the largest shipyard of modern-day France is in St. Nazaire, which is in Morbihan, though this one in particular didn't open until 1862. Still searching.

EDIT: http://www.zenor.com/bourbonsmag/8marine.htm says three major shipyards commissioned by Richelieu - Brest, La Havre, and Brouage.

Brest: According to http://www.epervier.com/bretagne/brest.html, site chosen by Richelieu in 1631, shipyard completed 1664. EU2 province is Bretagne, 415.

Le Havre: According to http://www.france-pittoresque.com/lieux/15.htm, the city was founded in 1516, the port completed 1533, and chosen to be transformed into a war port by Richelieu in 1628. No date more specific than "the 17th century" found on completion so far. Seems to have been the most important of the three. EU2 province is Caux, 384, and the port's even in exactly the right spot.

Brouage: I've found little mention of the port or shipyard here; just about every source mentions only the additional fortifications (constructed 1630-1640). Declined after Richelieu's death. EU2 province is Poitou, 318.

Last edited:
Just a final update before I invoke all of this and go into testing.

Test Conditions, Colonial AI Test
---------------------------------

New (Replacement) - England Colonial AI

continent = { Oceania }
region = { Carribean India }
area = { America Maine Georgia Newfoundland Cuba Bengal Carnatic Ceylon Tanganyika "The

Mascarenes" "The Cape" Gold "St Helena" Guiana Falklands Bermuda "Grand Lacs" Illinois

Labrador "Hudson Bay" Ohio Plaines Oregon }

New (Replacement) - France Colonial AI

region = { Carribean "West Africa" India }
area = { Quebec Acadie Antilles Haiti "Grand Lacs" Carnatic "The Mascarenes" Senegal

Louisiane "Hudson Bay" Illinois Guiana Seychelles Madagascar Congo Cameroon Ivory Gabon

Kansas }

Norway

Lost map knowledge of province 118, which is in Newfoundland. All sea zone knowledge is still there (as it's difficult to identify seazones and I was editing by hand).

England Colonial CBs event

event = {
id = 17760001
date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1493 }
offset = 120
deathdate = { day = 2 month = may year = 1819 }
trigger = { exists = SPA }

random = no
country = ENG
name = "The World is Round!"
desc = "Our ambassador in Spain reports that their explorer, Columbus, has returned

with knowledge of a New World. Shall we lay claim to parts of it, in the name of England?"
style = 1

action_a ={ #Lay Claim#
name = "Lay Claim to New England!"
command = { type = addcore which = 54 }
command = { type = addcore which = 61 }
command = { type = addcore which = 62 }
command = { type = addcore which = 63 }
command = { type = addcore which = 64 }
command = { type = addcore which = 65 }
command = { type = addcore which = 66 }
command = { type = addcore which = 68 }
command = { type = addcore which = 69 }
command = { type = addcore which = 70 }
command = { type = addcore which = 84 }
command = { type = addcore which = 85 }
command = { type = addcore which = 86 }
command = { type = addcore which = 87 }
command = { type = addcore which = 88 }
command = { type = addcore which = 100 }
command = { type = addcore which = 101 }
command = { type = addcore which = 102 }
command = { type = addcore which = 103 }
command = { type = addcore which = 104 }
command = { type = addcore which = 112 }
command = { type = addcore which = 113 }
command = { type = addcore which = 114 }
command = { type = addcore which = 115 }
command = { type = addcore which = 116 }
command = { type = addcore which = 117 }
command = { type = addcore which = 118 }
command = { type = addcore which = 119 }
command = { type = addcore which = 120 }
command = { type = addcore which = 123 }
command = { type = addcore which = 124 }
command = { type = addcore which = 125 }
command = { type = addcore which = 126 }
command = { type = addcore which = 127 }
command = { type = addcore which = 128 }
command = { type = addcore which = 129 }
command = { type = addcore which = 130 }
command = { type = addcore which = 131 }
command = { type = addcore which = 132 }
command = { type = addcore which = 134 }
command = { type = addcore which = 135 }
command = { type = addcore which = 136 }
}}

France colonial CBs event

event = {
id = 17760002
date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1493 }
offset = 120
deathdate = { day = 2 month = may year = 1819 }
trigger = { exists = SPA }

random = no
country = FRA
name = "The World is Round!"
desc = "Our ambassador in Spain reports that their explorer, Columbus, has returned

with knowledge of a New World. Shall we lay claim to parts of it, in the name of France?"
style = 1

action_a ={ #Lay Claim#
name = "Lay Claim to New France!"
command = { type = addcore which = 45 }
command = { type = addcore which = 46 }
command = { type = addcore which = 47 }
command = { type = addcore which = 51 }
command = { type = addcore which = 57 }
command = { type = addcore which = 105 }
command = { type = addcore which = 106 }
command = { type = addcore which = 107 }
command = { type = addcore which = 108 }
command = { type = addcore which = 109 }
command = { type = addcore which = 110 }
command = { type = addcore which = 111 }
command = { type = addcore which = 113 }
command = { type = addcore which = 114 }
command = { type = addcore which = 115 }
command = { type = addcore which = 116 }
command = { type = addcore which = 117 }
command = { type = addcore which = 121 }
command = { type = addcore which = 122 }
}}

Last edited:
I think the dates were relatively close to that for France as well. But as for now, I'm just testing to see if the concept works; we can fine tune the events later. (Perhaps make them "layered" like the Byzantine CB-granting events, for one thing.)

Also, warning to anyone else using my test materials... I left off a bracket at the end of each event, which will cause the game to not load. My mistake. (I've gone back and corrected it now.)

Right now I've got a Nippon game in progress to test this, and up to 1472. Of course, no NA colonies yet - none of the likely countries gets an explorer for, oh, another 15 years (and that's Spain - er, Castile, my inexperience with the AGC showing here - which generally goes further south).

As for Spain, I'm still used to the original Paradox events, in which it comes about in the 1480's. Oh well; they'll trigger when Spain forms, then, since that and the date are the only triggers.

Last edited:
Sheridan, can you take over this thread? For reasons stated in another thread I am unable to continue working on the AGC, and I am convinced that you would take best care of this topic.

Alright; I guess I'm now in charge here. As my first act, I'll list off the parameters for further action.

First. In order to provide clear boundaries for our work - this thread will deal only with the portions of North America north and east of the Texas-Louisiana border, including Newfoundland and other offshore islands (but NOT the Caribbean). I believe this was already the case, but just being clear.

Exceptions will be the England, France, Sweden, and Netherlands colonial AIs as previously discussed, and removal of map knowledge of Newfoundland from the Scandinavian countries, also already discussed.

Second. For the time being, until we get clear word otherwise, all work will assume the 1819 end-date.

Third. I personally (as a result of past treatments elsewhere) will not unilaterally reject any proposals, as long as they have a plausible historical or semi-historical justification.

I can be reached also by email at whitestar77@earthlink.net . So that I recognize the emails as AGC related, please include "AGC:" as the BEGINNING of the title of any messages sent to this address.

Onslaught (or whoever else has them) - we will be needing copies of all previously made changes which were NOT included in Beta 2. Please send them to me at the address in the previous paragraph. I have Beta 2, so no need to send anything which was included as we will use that as source material from this point forward.

ALSO - I will need a volunteer well versed in modifications other than events, to make such changes as fall within those areas or educate me in how to do so; I myself have only done events. This mainly refers to the leader and monarch files, also armynames and navynames.

Last edited:
To-Do List... Thursday

I have established a new thread, AGC: Eastern North America to serve as the "front" to this thread. Please contiue discussions HERE. I will post information for non-followers of this thread, including a current status, there.

PLEASE bring it to all of our attentions here if you have anything to add to this list.

If you need to email me, it's whitestar77@earthlink.net . Please include "AGC:" as the beginning of the message title so that I recognize them as important.

Last edited: