Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Are the shield regeneration tech and this terraforming one applied immediately throughout the empire or is it something that requires new designs?
You need to redesign stuff for those who are used in designs - like reload rate. Terrforming is immediately used, since there's no design with it.
The good thing being that you get instant tech when you find a new one, instead of having to send your guys back to Earth, as when you find 1.200 points in Tech X after salvaging a wreck.

I think we should approach the Chakar from 2 opposing directions if you don't want it to flee into far space of the system.

BTW, where and how do you define the range of Gauss turrets? I can easily track 30.000 km/s, but even though I have Gauss cannon with a 30.000 km range, I'm stuck with 10.000 km range Gauss turrets :eek:

BTW, where and how do you define the range of Gauss turrets? I can easily track 30.000 km/s, but even though I have Gauss cannon with a 30.000 km range, I'm stuck with 10.000 km range Gauss turrets :eek:

What's your Gauss Cannon Launch Velocity tech level? I'm under the impression that it's the tech that sets the range of the weapon.

Found ANOTHER free tech (our fourth)... and again, it's a +20% Mining efficiency tech. Just what we need to improve our resource situation, two +20% mining techs in a row.

Excellent. All is going well. Bets on when the massive invasion force appears?

Is there any sort of defence on El Dorado at the moment, in case the two Prix fellas decide to get a closer look on those archeologists of ours?

Is there any sort of defence on El Dorado at the moment, in case the two Prix fellas decide to get a closer look on those archeologists of ours?

No, nothing. I can't ship in PDC components and assemble them, because the next Robot attack will likely trash at least one of the components, leaving the rest useless. I can't keep a fleet on-station permanently, because there's no way to provide maintenance for it. I could rotate the fleet in-and-out by halves... but it hardly seems worth the logistical headache involved. These two Prix haven't moved in years, except to retreat at high speed if I approach them with warships.

Found yet another research lab... the ninth.

We have now explored two hundred of the 1,747 archeological sites. Major finds include four free techs (all of them useful), nine research labs, four deep space tracking stations, two terraforming stations, two genetic modification stations, several maintenance facilities, some advanced spaceship components that can be dismantled for tech points, two magnetic catapults, about twenty million litres of fuel, thousands of minerals, and a large number of mines, automated mines, construction factories, ordinance factories, fighter factories, fuel refineries, etc.

So many awesome free research labs!

How much will this affect the speed of research?

So many awesome free research labs!

How much will this affect the speed of research?

We had about fifty labs, when we fought the Prix fleet. If the current ratio holds... nine labs found with somewhat less than one-eighth of the ruins explored... then we are on track for more than doubling our research output, not counting any extra labs that we build. I am also currently researching a +20% research efficiency tech, to be completed in about a year.

What's your Gauss Cannon Launch Velocity tech level? I'm under the impression that it's the tech that sets the range of the weapon.
Nevermind, silly me read the design window too fast. I didn't notice you actually select the specific canon you want to put on your turrets, just thought you select the type of weapon - the other better 30.000km-range turrets were at the bottom of the list.

Still, one of these days, I'll have to search how to make homemade equipment designs obsolete - I just know how to make ship designs obsolete.

Great news with techs and labs. So, we basically are increasing by close to 20% our lab capacity :)
I'm not surprised about the mining techs, since it's the first techs I found in my game. That's awesome, still, since it's a massive boost in production!

Still, one of these days, I'll have to search how to make homemade equipment designs obsolete - I just know how to make ship designs obsolete.

Select a ship component in the class design screen, and hit the "Obs Comp" button... obsolete component.

Eldorado is such a gold mine that I think you should turn Star swarm on, just for additional challenge.
I think we should first see what the Prix have in store for us in other systems. If we soundly beat another sizable fleet of theirs, then we could ponder turning other stuff on.

We have recovered a third Genetic Modification Center, along with a fifth free tech: Increased High-Oxygen Tolerance +5%. Not a particularly useful tech, but we can't complain about freebies.

EDIT: our five-year focus on improving the resource situation is beginning to pay off... we now have more than 100,000 tons of some of the vital minerals in stock on Earth. Other minerals are still in short supply, however. The 15,000 tons of Duranium is particularly worrying, since Duranium is used for nearly everything.

Last edited:
G048_Game.jpg

Go, Charlies!

EDIT:

With five free techs found so far in the ruins of El Dorado, and about one-sixth of the sites excavated, we are on track to get roughly thirty free techs from this conquered planet. It looks like the desperate battle fought in this system a few years ago was well worth the risk... although at the time, of course, we could only guess at the potential rewards.

EDIT :

Another Prix spotted, at Kapteyn's Star. Curiously, it is located at a planet and has a Thermal of 1. A PDC, perhaps? Let's see if the scout can escape.

EDIT:

Yes, our scout got away. There was no pursuit. Curious... it must have been a Prix planetary base of some sort, but it never fired on me. An unarmed storehouse for missiles, perhaps?

Last edited:
Found another terraforming installation and a sixth free tech... again, it adds another +20% to our terraforming rate. We should really start shipping these terraforming stations somewhere useful. Draco (the colony in the Sigma Draconis system) lacks the labor force to use them.

Our terraforming efforts on Mars are reaching a crescendo... the temperature is now about -8 C (compared to -48 C only 19 years ago) and the partial pressure of Oxygen is over 0.06 standard atmospheres (only 0.08 is needed to make the atmosphere fully breathable, as long as enough other gasses are present to dilute the Oxygen concentration to no more than 25% of the total).