Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bad news and good news.

Bad news: They succeeded in picking off ALL of our big salvos... the 40-missile size-8 salvo, and every one of the size-4 fleet salvo packets.

Good news: In order to do that, they had to let more than two hundred of our chaff decoys through... and the decoys all got together and curb-stomped one of their ships.

G028_Prix3.jpg

G029_Prix3.jpg

... well, that didn't exactly work as planned, but it worked. Let's do it again!

What would size 1 missiles do to the Rocks armour.

We have no reason to believe that they only have size-1 missiles. I can SEE ten size-24 missiles sitting in orbit around the planet.

Do you want to try the MIRV size 8s this time? They're faster than any of our other missiles (after splitting), and there will be more targets for the enemy PD. It'd just take a bit more work to synchronise, since they're two stage.

Do you want to try the MIRV size 8s this time? They're faster than any of our other missiles (after splitting), and there will be more targets for the enemy PD. It'd just take a bit more work to synchronise, since they're two stage.

Mmmm... they take more than three and a quarter hours to run in. What I could do is... fire off some MIRVs, then wait a couple of hours and fire off a regular salvo, taking advantage of the difference in running-time to put two salvos on target instead of one.

Perhaps only now did the planetary defence chipped in to stop your incomming missiles?

No, the one we destroyed was a PDC (Planetary Defense Complex), and the one we damaged was a ship. You can tell by the to-hit numbers (or at least, I can, because I've got the game in front of me)... PDCs are immobile, so your base to-hit is 100%. Prix ships move at 9516 kps, so the base to-hit is a lot lower.

Was the Yuan the anti-missile PCD, or don't we have any idea what kind of ship it was?
Whatever, they probably have 3 layers of armor, so 200 size-1 would obviously do considerable damages.

That said, I fully expected it not to be able to stop 40 different salvos. Looks like Percursor vary widely from game to game ;)
That's a lot of fire controls, still. I wonder if they're on beam weapons or missiles...

One down, 2 to go - one of them being now harmless. Their defenses should be considerably weakened.
It would be interesting to send something like 40 size-1 salvos, synchronized, to see if their multi-fire-control ship has been destroyed or if the remaining PCD could still shoot down a massive onslaught. If it can't shoot 40 size-1 down, then we can fire 40 size-8 right away.

Bad news and good news.
Bad news: They succeeded in picking off ALL of our big salvos... the 40-missile size-8 salvo, and every one of the size-4 fleet salvo packets.
Good news: In order to do that, they had to let more than two hundred of our chaff decoys through... and the decoys all got together and curb-stomped one of their ships.
G028_Prix3.jpg

G029_Prix3.jpg

... well, that didn't exactly work as planned, but it worked. Let's do it again!

Considering this - would a ship class with a large number of size 1 missile launchers be a viable concept?

Actually, we only have enough decoys to do this once more... maybe one-and-a-half times more... so we'll make a full-up attack instead of probing.

If I've figured this correctly, here's our firing pattern:

First we fire off Capt Kiwi's MIRVs from the Monitor. Call that time T-0. They will take 11,760 seconds to run in to separation range, and another 108 seconds for the warheads to impact. We want them to arrive about 3/4 of the way through our decoy train, to allow for beating down their PD and for random firing delays.

One hour 51 minutes and 10 seconds after launching the MIRVs, we start firing our chaff salvos. They will take 5,083 seconds to run in, and will start entering PD range three minutes before any of the other salvos arrive, and will continue distracting the PD for four minutes.

One hour 52 minutes and 10 seconds after launching the MIRVs, the Monitor launches a second salvo of size-8 Bombardment rockets. They will take 5,140 seconds to run in, and will overtake the MIRV salvo just as it reaches separation range, about 3/4 of the way through the chaff salvos.

Two hours 4 minutes 10 seconds after launching the MIRV salvo, we fire off a full fleet salvo of size-4 Homing Missiles. It should arrive about 3/4 of the way through the chaff salvos.

Looks good... assuming I didn't drop a decimal place somewhere.

Considering this - would a ship class with a large number of size 1 missile launchers be a viable concept?

It would, especially if you have FAST missiles. Hard to shoot down.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan. The MIRVs are worth trying, especially since their main stage is so slow you can synchronise them with a normal bombardment round anyway. If the Prix are prioritising big rounds after a certain point, it may end up that the size 8 missiles distract fire while the size 2 sub munitions get through.

August 8th 2038.

13h:49m:56s : Orders issued to fire MIRVs.

13h:50m:21s : MIRVs fired.

... now we wait until 15:42:05, and then start firing chaff.

15h:42m:01s : Orders issued to fire chaff.

15h:42m:26s : Chaff fired. Orders issued to fire size-8 Bombardment missiles.

15h:43m:11s : Bombardment missiles fired.

... now we wait another twelve minutes, before firing the full fleet salvo.

(Where) do the fighters figure into any of this?

Finishing them off, if this salvo doesn't work. We're nearly out of long-range missiles. We've fired over a THOUSAND of them!

15h:54m:56s : Orders issued for full fleet salvo

15h:55m:21s : Salvo fired

15h: 56m:01s : Second salvo fired. Cease fire.

Now we wait for all of that to run in to target... it should all arrive at just about the same time.

Looking good... our chaff salvo is overtaking the MIRVs, and at the same time, our fleet salvos are overtaking the chaff salvo. The timing looks pretty good.

G030_Prix3.jpg

Damn, this is so well timed that it's beautiful!

Haha, flying kiwi :)

It is looking pretty good for synchronisation, but we need a lot of the chaff to overtake before second stage separation - the sub-munitions are at least 50% faster than anything else we have there.