Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OK, this discussion has pretty well convinced me that "all Gnats" is the best way to go... partly because that gives us a homogeneous speed (all of them 9400 kps instead of varying between 9400 and 4300 kps), partly because it allows us to carry the maximum number (120 Fighters instead of 72-or-more), and partly because it disperses our alpha-strike into 120 separate salvos of one missile each, making it a major headache to intercept with PD.

Good discussion so far, folks.

Ok, far do's. Will you use the heavier fighters for PDCs?

Ok, far do's. Will you use the heavier fighters for PDCs?

That's the plan, yes.

OK, here's our "Final Design" for our Carrier Strike Fighter:

Gnat class Fighter 191 tons 5 Crew 29.98 BP TCS 3.82 TH 36 EM 0
9424 km/s Armour 1-2 Shields 0-0 Sensors 1/1/0/0 Damage Control Rating 0 PPV 1.32
Annual Failure Rate: 2% IFR: 0% Maint Capacity 10 MSP Max Repair 10 MSP Est Time: 7.78 Years
Magazine 4

FTR Ion Engine E800 (1) Power 36 Fuel Use 8000% Signature 36 Armour 0 Exp 25%
Fuel Capacity 5,000 Litres Range 0.6 billion km (17 hours at full power)

Size 4 Missile Launcher (33% Reduction) (1) Missile Size 4 Rate of Fire 2400
Missile Fire Control FC27-R140 (1) Range 27.2m km Resolution 140
Size 4c Anti-ship Missile (1) Speed: 25,500 km/s End: 11m Range: 16.9m km WH: 5 Size: 4 TH: 187 / 112 / 56

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and maintenance purposes

Look OK?

Looks fine, I assume the fighters won't be travelling far from the carrier if at all?

They've got an endurance of 600 million km... so that's an out-and-back strike range of 300 m-km... but we aren't planning to send them nearly that far away, since they rely on our AWACS vessels to paint their targets for them, and that's limited to 50 m-km range.

The 600 m-km endurance is useful mostly for station-keeping.

I must say I really like the gnats, survivability through speed, less waste if they are shot down, and delivering salvoes faster, sooner and which are more difficult to shootbdown.

-have you tried making them with smaller missiles though? maybe they could carry 2 size1s. this would increase the strike number to get through pd even more. and if it makes them go faster still...

I must say I really like the gnats, survivability through speed, less waste if they are shot down, and delivering salvoes faster, sooner and which are more difficult to shootbdown.

-have you tried making them with smaller missiles though? maybe they could carry 2 size1s. this would increase the strike number to get through pd even more. and if it makes them go faster still...

That's a possibility... but the nice thing about a strength-4 (or in this case, strength-5) warhead is that it will punch through two layers of armor, and if it hits a spot that has only one layer (because of previous damage) it is guaranteed to score internals. Strength-1 warheads require that you be lucky enough to land successive salvos in exactly the same spot on the armor, or that you use enough of them to "sandpaper" his whole armor away.

They've got an endurance of 600 million km... so that's an out-and-back strike range of 300 m-km... but we aren't planning to send them nearly that far away, since they rely on our AWACS vessels to paint their targets for them, and that's limited to 50 m-km range.

The 600 m-km endurance is useful mostly for station-keeping.

Isn't it a pity to not have the option to send them on a long range strike? Could we design a "painter" figher without its own ordinance that can keep the same speed as the Gnats?

Isn't it a pity to not have the option to send them on a long range strike? Could we design a "painter" figher without its own ordinance that can keep the same speed as the Gnats?

Like this?

Gnat Strike Leader class Fighter 190 tons 6 Crew 39.7 BP TCS 3.8 TH 36 EM 0
9473 km/s Armour 1-2 Shields 0-0 Sensors 1/1/0/0 Damage Control Rating 0 PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 2% IFR: 0% Maint Capacity 13 MSP Max Repair 24 MSP Est Time: 5.63 Years

Fuel Capacity 10,000 Litres Range 1.2 billion km (34 hours at full power)

Active Search Sensor MR19-R100 (1) GPS 2400 Range 19.2m km Resolution 100

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and maintenance purposes

:rofl: If I reduce the size of that active sensor just a little bit... by 0.2 Hull Squares... I can fit this puppy into the Carrier's Hangar and STILL carry 20 Gnats!

Gnat Strike Leader class Fighter 175 tons 6 Crew 36.9 BP TCS 3.5 TH 36 EM 0
10285 km/s Armour 1-2 Shields 0-0 Sensors 1/1/0/0 Damage Control Rating 0 PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 2% IFR: 0% Maint Capacity 13 MSP Max Repair 22 MSP Est Time: 6.45 Years

Fuel Capacity 10,000 Litres Range 1.3 billion km (34 hours at full power)

Active Search Sensor MR17-R100 (1) GPS 2160 Range 17.3m km Resolution 100

If it's grouped with the 20 Gnats, the extra speed will NOT cause it to separate from them... they will all stay together.

That's the plan, yes.

OK, here's our "Final Design" for our Carrier Strike Fighter:

Look OK?

Ok, I've never seen a firm answer to this as some people say that fighters will explode without MSP whilst others, myself included, never bother with it because the PDCs and Carriers do most of the Maintenance work for the fighters and the chances of them having a malfunction during their incredibly short flight times is close to zero. If those in the "It's not needed" camp are correct you could probably shave a few tonnes of the weight by ditching the engineering space. Might even be able to get the fighter up over 10,000 km/s.

Ok, I've never seen a firm answer to this as some people say that fighters will explode without MSP whilst others, myself included, never bother with it because the PDCs and Carriers do most of the Maintenance work for the fighters and the chances of them having a malfunction during their incredibly short flight times is close to zero. If those in the "It's not needed" camp are correct you could probably shave a few tonnes of the weight by ditching the engineering space. Might even be able to get the fighter up over 10,000 km/s.

I always have the smallest possible engineering section on, I find that fighters kept out for a month overall tend to have their components fail otherwise.

Agreed. But I guess this is all for the far off future though.

I can certainly have much of this built before the Spy class recce vessels are ready, seven months from now.

One big bonus of Carrier Ops is that the vessel's "main armament" isn't actually part of the ship. You can upgrade a Carrier's combat-effectiveness just by building some new Fighters and landing them aboard... and Fighters can be built in less than a week each.

I think I'd prefer to keep the Engineering Section for now... we can experiment after we've crushed the evil Prix.

Any plans on expanding the carrier fleet to coincide with this?

We're quickly amassing a Kido Butai over here. :D

I can certainly have much of this built before the Spy class recce vessels are ready, seven months from now.

One big bonus of Carrier Ops is that the vessel's "main armament" isn't actually part of the ship. You can upgrade a Carriers combat-effectiveness just by building some new Fighters and laning them aboard... and Fighters can be built in less than a week each.

I say we test all these ideas together in one go. Hopefully, they'll prove very useful like the rocks.

And the bombardament class you've designed, is it a ground only ship or can we use it as some sort of long range artillery in space battles ? (basically what you intended to do with the minelayers.)

Any plans on expanding the carrier fleet to coincide with this?

We're quickly amassing a Kido Butai over here. :D

I'd like to expand the Dockyards first, so that we can design bigger Carriers.

First, though, I want to ensure a steady supply of minerals. This business of destroying the Prix infestation is fun... it's even important, considering how many free techs we might get out of this... but securing a steady supply of minerals is a matter of life-or-death to our expansion plans.

I say we test all these ideas together in one go. Hopefully, they'll prove very useful like the rocks.

And the bombardament class you've designed, is it a ground only ship or can we use it as some sort of long range artillery in space battles ? (basically what you intended to do with the minelayers.)

The missile load-outs will be specifically tailored for planetary bombardment or space combat... but the ships themselves can be used for either, depending on the ammo-load we've given them.

Those puppies won't be ready by next year, though... nor the year after. I don't want to delay round 2 against the Prix for so long that some other bastard steals those wrecks. Unless anyone talks me out of it, I intend to go in with what we've got now, plus a couple of Spy-class recce ships, plus new Fighters, plus new missiles for planetary bombardment (but fired, for now, by those old minelayers).